Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I think it's just small inconsistencies with that specific theme. Grab the sealion-extras.zip and give some other themes a try. Issue should disappear.

Cheers

xeno74

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2018
Berlin
SeaLion 32.5.1 is now available for Mac. Linux x86 build is in the works.

@xeno74 feel free to compile the ppc linux version when you have time. My G5 is down for awhile for repasting/cleaning so i'm skipping building this release.

Cheers

I compiled the Linux PPC 32-bit version today.

Download: sealion-32.5.1.linux-powerpc-gtk2.tar.xz 37.3 MB

Reactions: wicknix

xeno74

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2018
Berlin
SeaLion 32.5.1 on openSUSE Tumbleweed 20230628-3 PPC64:

Kernel_6.7-rc4_PowerPC.png

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
I think it's just small inconsistencies with that specific theme. Grab the sealion-extras.zip and give some other themes a try. Issue should disappear.

Cheers

You were right, wicknix, it is a graphics glitch in that theme, indeed. I've tried the others, but none of them were to my taste, except, strangely, the default theme. If only I could do anything about the blue color of active tab and tab size, which I can't change with the help of userChrome.css. Why is that I don't know..

Cheers

Thanks. It's really the UXP devs doing all the heavy lifting. I just wrapped it all up in to a different user interface.

As for YouTube (and many other sites) you will have to enable certain scripts for pages to display / work properly. By default ematrix will block most everything. You'll need to enable those scripts on a site by site basis. Once saved you'll never have to adjust them for that site again.

Example:
Here are my settings for YouTube.
View attachment 2201752
Green is enabled. Red is blocked.

Cheers

I have an exceptionally stupid question about adding uMatrix and uBlock origin to SeaLion, now that I’m thinking about going beyond just trying it out comparatively:

If the SeaLion github page’s readme list of supported add-ons, coupled with the above, point to both of gorhill’s add-ons being supported, yet neither .xpi can be added because “The add-on downloaded from github.com could not be installed because SeaLion does not support WebExtensions,” then how exactly does one get the browser to install these? I see a chicken and I see an egg, and I have no idea which came first.

(And yes, before posting this impressively stupid question, I did have a look around about:config for parameters which might have pertained to add-ons and/or extensions, but nothing stood out as a possible thing to modify.)

Cheers.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
They are included in the sealion-extras.zip. I replaced uMatrix with eMatrix however as that one is still in active development by the PM devs.

Cheers

They are included in the sealion-extras.zip. I replaced uMatrix with eMatrix however as that one is still in active development by the PM devs.

Cheers

Thanks for responding.

I’ll try not to complicate this further, but… the “trial” testing I did of SeaLion was on High Sierra; the planned use of SeaLion beyond testing is happening on a Linux build on my A1278.

Although that tarball doesn’t have an “extras’-anything, it does have supporting sub-directories. I was optimistic the “extensions” directory might be where those lived, but it’s just the two themes bundled with the archive.

1704226319431.png

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
@wicknix, any idea what they've changed at GitHub recently? My SeaLion stopped working there properly. If I press the 'code' or 'master' pulldown buttons, everything on the page just dissappears :(

P.S. Firefox 78.15.0esr is broken there completely.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Microsoft just can't leave GitHub alone. I personally don't know what "chromism" they added now. Hopefully the UXP devs know and have it fixed soon. The next UXP release looks to be only a few weeks out, and at that point I'll rebuild SL with the updates. 🤞

Reactions: MacFoxG4 and ojfd

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Currently i’m only maintaining the user interface part of the browser. The Pale Moon devs are doing the “under the hood” grunt work. The Unified XUL Platform (UXP) code is whats used as the back end for Pale Moon, Basilisk, SeaLion, etc. I’d suggest registering on their forum and post your non working site there. They have a sub forum for problematic websites found here.

Cheers

Reactions: TheShortTimer

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Is it possible to get this theme? Link
Possible. Yes. Does it exist for SeaMonkey? No.

Somebody with theme knowledge could probably make one, however Firefox themes (and Pale Moon / Basilisk themes) are not compatible. The SeaMonkey UI, which SeaLion is derived from, is completely different than Firefox’s and their themes are not interchangeable. The closest you’d probably get is either the Default theme or Kilome theme.

Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 6.02.08 PM.png

Kilome theme (found in the sealion-extras.zip)

Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 6.03.17 PM.png

Default theme (built in)

Cheers

Reactions: TheShortTimer

Roldan

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
Sealion 33.0 does not seem to have any search engines preinstalled. How can I add them? I do not need anything else than Duckduck. The 'Manage search engines/Get more search engines" menu does not do anything!

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Sounds like you have a bad download or wrong permissions set. There is no issue with the built in search engines or the manage search engines menu.

Cheers

Roldan

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
Sounds like you have a bad download or wrong permissions set. There is no issue with the built in search engines or the manage search engines menu.

I redownloaded it, and used this time a package compiled by Christian Zigotsky. No difference - there no are search engines available. I have it on a NTFS partiion (on a different disk than the previous installation) which does not use any permissions, unlike ext4 partitions.

Where and in which file(s) are these search engines located? Is there anything in the home/wicknix/sealion folder which could cause this kind of issue?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
My guess would be because you have it on an NTFS file system which ignores permissions and marks every file as executable. You probably have a corrupt profile now. I'd delete the sealion directory in your home folder, then extract sealion properly to a *unix* file system and try again.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.