Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Cultural and continental perspective, not just individual.

I doubt that you would find anyone in Europe who would rate a standard commercial exchange or transaction with five stars.

If it is satisfactory, it gets three, perhaps, four.

If it is excellent, or, in any way, outstanding, it receives five.

Giving everyone a "five star rating", or grade, works only on the assumption that everyone, and everything is superb, which, of course, is not the case.

And assuming it was the case, it does not allow for acknowledgement of the truly superb, of the genuinely outstanding, not least, because, if everyone receives a grade of "excellent" how are the truly superlative performers supposed to be recognised?
If a hammer is of “excellent“ quality, it gets a 5 from me. Recently received some excellent kitchen scissors= 5. If I order a BluRay disk and it plays without a glitch, that is a 5, otherwise it would be a 1, I’m not giving it a 3, because a I don’t see a case which would warrant a 3. It either works or it does not. And I’m happy to agree to disagree.:D

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I just don’t rate products. I have no interest in giving Amazon any marketing services for free. Especially seeing what they charge our company every month!

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
And it has moved beyond just star ratings. Now in addition to businesses wanting Tips for just about everything, Tipflation has gotten out of hand. Growing up, 15% was standard for good service. Then somehow they became 20% which had been previously reserved for Great Service. Now they offer 30% as a check box amount. Nope.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And it has moved beyond just star ratings. Now in addition to businesses wanting Tips for just about everything, Tipflation has gotten out of hand. Growing up, 15% was standard for good service. Then somehow they became 20% which had been previously reserved for Great Service. Now they offer 30% as a check box amount. Nope.
30% as a tip ("tipflation" is a good expression) sounds absolutely ludicrous.

Actually, for that matter, (to a European) so is 20%.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
My local megamart has scanner guns that you can get at the door; I use those and then scan and bag as I go, so that when I check out at the self checkout I only have to scan the bar code and then pay. I'm unconvinced that it is actually faster, but I much prefer shopping this way as I am (unsurprisingly) picky about how my bags get packed, and I can typically pack more efficiently space wise than a checkout person.

I actually prefer self checkout about 95% of the time, but I do think it's weird that at places like Home Depot, which sells large and unwieldy items that there are NO manned checkout lanes. I prefer a mix of both, and our local Home Depot has a poorly designed queuing area for the block of self checkout stations. Then all of a sudden they realize the line is halfway back the ginormous store and the employees start panicking and opening up special registers.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
This isn't true where I am.
I'm in Phoenix. Granted that may have changed. I think I asked maybe 10+ years ago and I was told no. Perhaps it's down to the retailer, IDK.

We have machines as well. Those do accept cards, but I think my bank doesn't like them because every time I tried using on my bank rejected the charge.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
In some States (I’ve not verified all or even most of them), Capitalism has run amuk. In Texas they passed a law that considers tips as part of the waiter’s income, and the business owner only has to pay them something like $2 an hour. So the business is expecting the customer to pay the employee wages for them. For myself, I normally pay 15-18% but never more than $10 as I’m still in a mindset that simply doing your job is not grounds for a tip, especially handing something to me over a counter as there are tip jars at every fast food place.
Trouble is 99.9% of my transactions are cashless. I don't ever have change on me.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
I'm in Phoenix. Granted that may have changed. I think I asked maybe 10+ years ago and I was told no. Perhaps it's down to the retailer, IDK.

We have machines as well. Those do accept cards, but I think my bank doesn't like them because every time I tried using on my bank rejected the charge.

AZ Lottery accepts Debit cards at the machines.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Wow! You guys really are behind the times when it comes to finances. It was the same with chip and pin. You were decades behind Europe.
Nobody gets paid by cheque anymore.
I don’t miss the change in my pocket etc. Get less holes in your jeans to!
My wife and I still use check to pay some bills. While home work-contractors accept both credit cards, cash, and checks, the latter are preferred to credit cards. What happens is that the credit card companies charge a certain amount of money from the payment's recipient, not the payer. But if it is a check or cash, then the contractor is pocketing the total sum of money without any credit-transaction charges.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
My wife and I still use check to pay some bills. While home work-contractors accept both credit cards, cash, and checks, the latter are preferred to credit cards. What happens is that the credit card companies charge a certain amount of money from the payment's recipient, not the payer. But if it is a check or cash, then the contractor is pocketing the total sum of money without any credit-transaction charges.
Would the contractors not expect a bank transfer? That’s how we paid for most of our home renovations. You just transfer the money straight from your account to theirs. No bank charges.
Some prefer cash. But only those who let’s be honest are not going to put it through the books.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Would the contractors not expect a bank transfer? That’s how we paid for most of our home renovations. You just transfer the money straight from your account to theirs. No bank charges.
Some prefer cash. But only those who let’s be honest are not going to put it through the books.
Yes, we also do bank or wire transfers too.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Your thoughts?
Around here, self-serve checkouts are becoming more and more prevalent. Walmart has perhaps 50 self service vs. maybe 8 or 10 staffed (capable - typically not that many open). Lowe's has switched from 2 self-serve with perhaps 6 staffed (again - not that many open at once) to 8 self-serve with 2 staffed.

And it's working. At either of those stores, I haven't had to wait for an open check-out a single time since they were reconfigured.

Personally, I have no need for a check-out cashier. I went in and pushed my own cart, pulled my own items off the shelf... I can very easily scan & bag them myself too, thankyouverymuch. I turn my hearing aid mics off & stream a podcast or audiobook while shopping, so it's just as well not to have to speak to someone for any reason.

My favorite, though, is Sam's Club. I literally scan each item as it goes into my cart, using my iPhone. And then head straight for the door. THAT is the ultimate convenience.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Around here, self-serve checkouts are becoming more and more prevalent. Walmart has perhaps 50 self service vs. maybe 8 or 10 staffed (capable - typically not that many open). Lowe's has switched from 2 self-serve with perhaps 6 staffed (again - not that many open at once) to 8 self-serve with 2 staffed.

And it's working. At either of those stores, I haven't had to wait for an open check-out a single time since they were reconfigured.

Personally, I have no need for a check-out cashier. I went in and pushed my own cart, pulled my own items off the shelf... I can very easily scan & bag them myself too, thankyouverymuch. I turn my hearing aid mics off & stream a podcast or audiobook while shopping, so it's just as well not to have to speak to someone for any reason.

My favorite, though, is Sam's Club. I literally scan each item as it goes into my cart, using my iPhone. And then head straight for the door. THAT is the ultimate convenience.
If you do the Walmart+ stuff (home delivery) then they let you use a different app that functions the same way as you describe Sam's Club. Pick, scan, pay and exit.

It's possible they integrated that into the main Walmart app, it's been a while since I checked.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The coupon person is the absolute worst. They come in with one or two full carts, their coupon box and a stack of those mail flyers showing weekly deals at other supermarkets. Because of Walmart's price match, the cashier has to process all that.

Then they take their sweet time pulling out their payment. It's either a check, or a debit card they have no idea how to use. In the mean time, all the people who came in for a few items are stacked in line behind them because Walmart has (again) not opened the 20 items or less line.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011

When I lived on the east coast our Walmart's were just converting to that model.

Out here in AZ they still have the traditional setup with just a few self-checks on the ends. Can't wait until they convert my store.

Aldi is headed that way as well with new stores getting self checks.

The one place I really appreciate them auto parts stores. My Autozone has one and it is great because I don't want to get stuck in line when all the associates are having to look up parts and explain things to customers when I just want to buy wiper blades and leave.

Reactions: eyoungren

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Cheques are easy to cancel. That’s why a bank transfer is preferred. Definitely last century technology as far as I’m concerned.
I think if you come to the UK with your cheque book hoping to pay for things you’ll find very few (if any) that would accept payment that way.
I understand, but in my case it is a matter of convenience to have numerous options to pay bills and things like that. A lot of small businesses don't accept checks, but others do. But most contractors do accept checks and cash, and is done legally, since the check is paid to the company or business, not to the workers. Some rare coin shops don't accept credit cards, but accept checks from customers they know, money orders, or cash.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
If you do the Walmart+ stuff (home delivery) then they let you use a different app that functions the same way as you describe Sam's Club. Pick, scan, pay and exit.
Hmm, didn't realize that. It ain't worth $99 a year just for that though (even $49 for the first year).

Yeah, it gives you other benefits but... none that I'd use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.