Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d94

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2006
so i have a very frustrating situation on my hands
about two months ago i took my air in for service because it was overheating, wifi was disconnecting and the hinge went back all the way. the refused to repair it because they said i broke it even though the device was in 100% perfect physical condition. i left the store, called customer relations and they setup repair service. a few days later i recieved the box to send my air in and so i sent it away.. several weeks later i still didnt recieve it but left the country to visit family. Fast forward a week ago i get home and my air is waiting for me. it had been delivered about a week before i got home and grandma signed for it. Yesterday i got around to the air only to find that the unit had dents in 3/4 corners - the body was badly bent up, the hard drive didnt work..i couldnt believe my eyes. so i called customer relations and they made me an appointment with a genius at a local apple store so they can send it in to get repaired and make things right. the rep also told me there was no history of my package ever being shipped or apple having it in their hands which is strange as hell as i personally dropped off the package..so i spoke to my granny and she said she'd just tossed the box along with the paper work meaning i dont have any shipping info on how it got delivered ><
well i went ahead and went to the store today - spent about an hour there and left them the laptop as instructed. they quoted me $800 and said they'd wait for customer relations for instructions. about a half hour after i left the rep calls me and asks if i want apple to cover the repair? i replied..obviously, at which point the rep said hed see what he could do and call me back. i just got a call back and the rep says theres no history of the machine being in apples hands so he cant replace it..yet my laptop was deffinetly gone for literally two months and now im just confused and skrewed as the rep said apple will not replace it unless i can come up with tracking info..i threatened with BBB but he said he wasnt sure what happened..so now im stuck and not sure where to go from here. When i sent that laptop two months ago it was in PRISTINE condition - i keep a case on it in a padded bag, now its just a busted piece of aluminum which i refuse to pickup from the apple store..but i dont know what else i can do :(

iv never heard of this kind of thing happening

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Apple sent back my Air after a repair with a broken hinge. The Air's are not built well. Call Apple Support, be polite, but firm, and demand they do something about this...keep going up the power chain if necessary. Or go down to the Store and talk to the manager.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Apple sent back my Air after a repair with a broken hinge. The Air's are not built well. Call Apple Support, be polite, but firm, and demand they do something about this...keep going up the power chain if necessary. Or go down to the Store and talk to the manager.

That and try formatting your OP a bit. It's a PITA to really read.

Edit: I find it suspect that your granny opened the box and tossed that and any paperwork that was purportedly with the box. I would question why she even opened it.

Also, how did you ship it to Apple?

d94

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2006
That and try formatting your OP a bit. It's a PITA to really read.

Edit: I find it suspect that your granny opened the box and tossed that and any paperwork that was purportedly with the box. I would question why she even opened it.

Also, how did you ship it to Apple?
sorry about that, im just super frustrated

thats what i thought too, but for her to cause all that damage she'd have to drop it about 10 times. yeah..unfortunately shes old and seems to think she can go through my mail, this is exactly why i keep telling her not touch my packages/mail *Sigh* i shipped it in the box they sent me, i just dropped it off at fedex

to the second poster, in store they told me it was up to customer relations which are the people iv been dealing with..i dont think i can go any higher

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
sounds like a shipping company issue,

paper work does not matter, you can look up repairs online with your serial number if there not there, apple indeed did not get it.

shipping companies somtimes return packages that are presumed lost. sounds like your label got removed and the package returned.

d94

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2006
sounds like a shipping company issue,

paper work does not matter, you can look up repairs online with your serial number if there not there, apple indeed did not get it.

shipping companies somtimes return packages that are presumed lost. sounds like your label got removed and the package returned.

that's what apple thinks and im certainly wondering about it aswell
i don't know what to believe, but iv had it happen in the past both with fedex and ups i just cant believe there's no paper trail

where the heck has my laptop been the last two months!

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
i don't know what to believe, but iv had it happen in the past both with fedex and ups i just cant believe there's no paper trail

the reason why its soo beat up i bet is because it has been relocated several diffrent places to try to locate the place it was suppose to be sent to, once it has defualted delivery so many times it is usually sent to a facility which resends the item back to the original sender.

the shipping company will likely say it was not them and not know a thing about it, there crooks.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan

I hate to pile on in your hour of misfortune, but one big issue here is YOUR lack of a paper trail. Going forward you should really keep your own records when you ship something out for repair. Even something as simple as taking a picture of the label before you ship it would help you immensely here.

That said, you need to get a clear, concise 1-2 paragraph explanation of your situation and the remedy you expect and send it out to sjobs ronj and phils @apple.com. This isnt the kind of experience they want their customers to have, regardless of whos fault it was.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
to the second poster, in store they told me it was up to customer relations which are the people iv been dealing with..i dont think i can go any higher

There is usually always someone higher up on the food chain...so to speak. Ask for that persons boss. Something needs to be done. Or, go to the store, and have the store contact support there so the two can communicate a little better.

Emailing sjobs or any of the others will not help you...but then again, you never know.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
You know, e-mailing sjobs seems to float around quite a bit here.

WTF, man up and handle this. I would be pissed to, but I keep better care and records than the OP (as many probably do). Quite frankly what on earth took you so long to get this shiiiiteee rolling? I'd have been on the phone a week later looking for my stuff, and backing that up with more calls.

It's called following up, 3/4 of this nation is just a bunch of lazy caboose's along for the ride.

-End rant....

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
The problem is yours ... not Apple's.

You can't prove Apple ever received your computer. You can't prove it was ever in their possession. The fact that you waited so long and failed to follow up will be - to Apple - highly suspect.

Had you kept one single piece of documentation - a tracking number from the package you sent, any indication of receipt on Apple's part, the paper that mysteriously vanished (is Grandma's house short of space?) - anything at all, this wouldn't be an issue. But you failed to track, which is tantamount to failing to care.

Leave your MBA at the Apple Store and chalk up the loss to learning not to let Grandma open your mail! This isn't Apple's fault.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City

You can't prove Apple ever received your computer. You can't prove it was ever in their possession. The fact that you waited so long and failed to follow up will be - to Apple - highly suspect.

Had you kept one single piece of documentation - a tracking number from the package you sent, any indication of receipt on Apple's part, the paper that mysteriously vanished (is Grandma's house short of space?) - anything at all, this wouldn't be an issue. But you failed to track, which is tantamount to failing to care.

Leave your MBA at the Apple Store and chalk up the loss to learning not to let Grandma open your mail! This isn't Apple's fault.

I've got to agree with this, I've never shipped anything over $100 bucks (or anything via UPS/Fedex) I didn't have complete paperwork and follow up with whomever I sent it to for repairs or in the case of selling something the buyer. I can't imagine sending off a MBA worth a few grand and after 3 weeks not even checking on the status? It's a phone call that takes 5m. Now months later expecting Apple to pony up for a replacement likely won't happen.

Best case is if you insured the shipment, have paperwork showing you even shipped it in the first place. If Apple sent you the box to ship it to them they will have a record or "open ticket" or something. I don't believe Apple has lost all record of them shipping you a box for repair and now you have lost all your paperwork showing you shipped it? come on... I'd buy you losing paperwork, but Apple would have had to create a repair order enter your information and submit it to someone to ship the box to you, it's not some conspiracy they just delete all records of it. I just don't buy it.

d94

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2006

true im just too trustworthy of people and business. if you read my post you'd see i was out of the country which is why this is just being addressed now. kinda hard to deal with it out of russia. and granda is at my house, she's 85 so i cant really blame her for forgetting theings these days :rolleyes:

either way even with me at fault for not being careful enough or around myself to sign for the package, apple is just looking for a reason not to replace it rather than help a loyal customer and while i suppose i cant blame them is it worth it to them to loose a customer for life? after this experience i cant say ill be particularly inclined to buy more products as they're hardly trying to help me out now. iv spent more money than i count count in the last 5-6 years between laptops and ipods.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
true im just too trustworthy of people and business. if you read my post you'd see i was out of the country which is why this is just being addressed now. kinda hard to deal with it out of russia. and granda is at my house, she's 85 so i cant really blame her for forgetting theings these days :rolleyes:

either way even with me at fault for not being careful enough or around myself to sign for the package, apple is just looking for a reason not to replace it rather than help a loyal customer and while i suppose i cant blame them is it worth it to them to loose a customer for life? after this experience i cant say ill be particularly inclined to buy more products as they're hardly trying to help me out now. iv spent more money than i count count in the last 5-6 years between laptops and ipods.

Put yourself in their shoes. Someone with no information to give is telling you something you cant find any proof of in your own systems. They are then asking you to replace an obviously physically damaged laptop.

To the person you are dealing with, you dont seem like a good loyal customer. If you want to get them on your side, you have to give them something. Proof that they asked you to ship it. The service tag # from the open repair. The tracking information. The box it was returned in. Something more then just asking them to take it on faith that, "Im a good customer".

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
true im just too trustworthy of people and business.

Question: You didn't jot down the FedEx tracking number when you got the box?? You shipped off your $1800 computer WITHOUT JOTTING DOWN THE TRACKING NUMBER?????

I'm trusting of other people too, but wow.... Sorry.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Trust is not the issue. You need to keep a record of all the stuff you ship out, especially the larger or more expensive materials. I am a very trustworthy person but I still keep records for those "just in case" moments.

I'm sorry, but I think you're outta luck here.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Even if you don't have the original tracking number when you shipped out, you should be able to find the tracking number for when it came back. What carrier was used? Give them a call and they may be able to find shipment based on the ship-to address.

Then at least you can track that back to the original shipper perhaps (Apple), and work your way from there.

I sympathize with your plight, it's odd that Apple has no record of this either. But this is not an issue about trust, it's about giving yourself some insurance in case ***** happens. Unofortunately most of the 'blame' for this situation can be laid on your grandmother.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Apple should have a record of the tracking number since they sent you the box and shipping label. Since the package apparently got lost in transit and damaged, and never made it to Apple that number should be enough for you to get something done throught the shipping company.

They lost the package and damaged it in shipping, so they're on the line here. At least that's how it appears to me.

d94

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Apple should have a record of the tracking number since they sent you the box and shipping label. Since the package apparently got lost in transit and damaged, and never made it to Apple that number should be enough for you to get something done throught the shipping company.

They lost the package and damaged it in shipping, so they're on the line here. At least that's how it appears to me.

you'd think so except fedex is denying everything..ugghh
obviously they dont want to pay for a new air ><

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Did have FedEx have any tracking number or record of the shipment?

I think a major problem here is that you were gone so long while all this stuff was happening. I believe your story of course, but its simply going to seem fishy to Apple that 2 months later you call them to tell them now your MBA is banged up, etc.

That being said, if you can at least nail down the approximate date the package came back to your house you still should be able to find the tracking information.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
None of this story adds up. (Not accusing anyone of anything - just saying something is not right).

If Apple shipped the box, they'd have all the shipping info. For the box they sent to you and the prepaid label that came with the box for its return.

As soon as FedEx picked up the box, the number would've been scanned into the system, and it would show up in their database as being scanned.

Even if the label was later removed, that record remains.
If it was removed, how did it get returned to you?
There would also be a record of your grandma signing for it?
If there was no signature, there would be a record of it being left at your door.

Someone has to have some record of it somewhere, unless of course Apple and FedEx have conspired against you.;)

d94

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2006
iv looked up and down the house, no tracking info
i should of had fedex pick it up but i dropped it off in the Detroit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.