Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
If you shipped Fedex it should have a trail. Call them up and see if they can find the tracking number for you from your name and payment information.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
iv looked up and down the house, no tracking info
i should of had fedex pick it up but i dropped it off in the Detroit

If you called Apple, gave them all the info they needed to send a shipping box to you, they send you an email to confirm it all. ALL the information you need is in that email. I've dealt with them via the phone before and our IT guy has as well, they take your name, address, phone, email etc...

You wouldn't receive a Apple shipping box without an email showing your case. Apple doesn't sell you a $20 adapter without an email coming to you, they email you for every transaction, every tech help call etc.. Pull up the email, work from there with Apple.

uniforms

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
South Orange NJ
I find this story sad. If all parties involved have no record of the shipment, then the something happened. TRUST ME, NO COMPANY would try to deny a return. They would not try to rip you off about a return. There is something called insurance. They pay for it and they use it. IF you machine was damaged in transit, Fed Ex or UPS, or any carrier would gladly guide you to filing a claim. I do believe you have to purchase the additional coverage when shipping such an item, and I would hope you did. Fed Ex is one of the best with records. They can find out about your package with just your zip code. If all else fails, your homeowners or renters insurance would cover such a loss. But also consider this a lesson in life. Keep records of such a high dollar purchase. I keep a copy of purchase receipts taped to the boxes. I keep records of any shipment. You have to prepare yourself for life's unexpected.

Please don't blame Apple. Even though I have had my issues with my Air and a repair made with them, they still make a stellar product. Their quality if far better than any computer companies products out there. Even their customer service is top notch. Sometimes genius's at the store level don't always make the right call, but there are avenues of recourse. As a comment made earlier be persistant and polite. Keep going up the latter till you have tired every level. Then you know your answer.

Anyway, sorry for your loss.

GeekGirl*

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2009
Buffalo, NY
yep. you should have the email and if you printed the shipping label on line, the tracking. how could you go two months without knowing where it is????

phatcat

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
What I'm curious of is how the Air was packaged. No matter how many times the box was dropped, if it was packaged properly it should be fine.

d94

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2006
well after searching the house, my email and talking to my grandma iv come to realize that even if fedex skrewed me im at fault for not getting a receipt when i dropped off my package and not being around to sign for the package myself. im going to call back customer relations and let them know this. i will explain that i understand they cant replace something they didnt damage or havent recieved. i will ask if theres any way they can help me out for being a loyal customer as this is the third macbook iv bought, i own 2 imac's and have been through 2 gen's of ipod minis, 4 gen's of nanos, and am currently on my 2nd gen of touch. They'd be doing me a big favor as i saved up for a little while to buy this one, and i'd have to do so again for my next as im a college student. hopefully being a loyal customer will give me some credit. if not i really cant blame apple for this mess but it cant hurt to ask for their help. otherwise lesson learned.

i suppose now it cant hurt to send those 3 big guys an email if customer relations cant help with something along the contents of this post

anyone have a suggestion for a subject/message to put in the email that's short, informal, and catches their attention?

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
well after searching the house, my email and talking to my grandma iv come to realize that even if fedex skrewed me im at fault for not getting a receipt when i dropped off my package and not being around to sign for the package myself. im going to call back customer relations and let them know this. i will explain that i understand they cant replace something they didnt damage or havent recieved. i will ask if theres any way they can help me out for being a loyal customer as this is the third macbook iv bought, i own 2 imac's and have been through 2 gen's of ipod minis, 4 gen's of nanos, and am currently on my 2nd gen of touch. They'd be doing me a big favor as i saved up for a little while to buy this one, and i'd have to do so again for my next as im a college student. hopefully being a loyal customer will give me some credit. if not i really cant blame apple for this mess but it cant hurt to ask for their help. otherwise lesson learned.

i suppose now it cant hurt to send those 3 big guys an email if customer relations cant help with something along the contents of this post

anyone have a suggestion for a subject/message to put in the email that's short, informal, and catches their attention?

let us know what they say cuz i'm a loyal customer also ;)

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
I have a problem with this thread. When you opened your box with the MBP all dinged up, didn't you look at the label on the box? There would be all the info you need right there. I can understand loosing the tracking number, but why would you throw out the box if the mba is all dinged up? Your grandmother opened your package? Why would she do that?

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
If the grandmother opened the returned package, then the shipper who dropped it off must have a record of having done so. Even if no sig is required on a package, the item gets scanned off the truck on delivery.

For there to be no record on the drop, and also no record of the original pickup just seems so improbable. Not impossible, but extremely remarkable.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
If the grandmother opened the returned package, then the shipper who dropped it off must have a record of having done so. Even if no sig is required on a package, the item gets scanned off the truck on delivery.

For there to be no record on the drop, and also no record of the original pickup just seems so improbable. Not impossible, but extremely remarkable.

I'd even say impossible. Did the OP try contacting the shipping company?

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
This whole thing is fishy... If Apple sent you a box with a prepaid label, they would have a record of it. End of story.

Either that or the FedEx guys never sent it after you "dropped it off" without signing ANYTHING and used your computer for two months, only for a buddy to "deliver it" back to your house while they knew you were on vacation.

Heck that actually sounds MORE plausible at this point....

d94

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2006
yeah the whole thing is pretty ****ed up, fedex has no records
i could care less if you guys dont believe me but at this point ill just havta see what happens

Artagra

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Well, if you are telling the truth you should be able to come right:

1. The FedEx branch you dropped it off is able to go through there system and check all the packages that where dropped off that day, and could determine which one was yours, and give you a tracking number based on that.

2. If you sent it on Apple's dime, then there should be a record on there system aswell - they could probably look this up on their serial number. If it was sent on Apple's account, even if they never received it, they still payed for the shipment.

3. You should be able to check from FedEx also from the day you received the package. Be patient, kind and persistant with the phone operator, but they *can* search based on delivery address.

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Suit your grandma. I would.

Or well... I have learned a valuable lesson short ago: the world is not fair, deal with it.

I just spent 3 weeks on a project for a Motorola event, a $3000 value service and the production company didn't pay me at the end, they didn't recognized my work. Last year I went trough hell charging for another job that was around $300. This time I just took it like a man.

Lucky Motorola liked my work so much that they are hiring me directly for another event for the same amount and with another production company. The previous production company lost Motorola and I got another work for them withing a week.

I mean, by having the right attitude doesn't mean you are gonna have a happy ending, that is why I said "lucky" but I didn't complain with Motorola or with anybody.

But you bet, next week at the show I am gonna ask motorola if they were charged by my services the previews event, if they were... they will know I was not paid.

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
The OP says he called Apple - Apple sent him a box to send the MBA in.

Apple includes a self addressed shipping label with the box so there is no way fedex cannot know who it is going to.

anyways as mentioned - if apple sent you a box - it will be documented under the serial number of your machine on Apples computers.

it costs Apple $ to send you that box - so there WILL be a record of that if it was sent.

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
The OP says he called Apple - Apple sent him a box to send the MBA in.

Apple includes a self addressed shipping label with the box so there is no way fedex cannot know who it is going to.

anyways as mentioned - if apple sent you a box - it will be documented under the serial number of your machine on Apples computers.

it costs Apple $ to send you that box - so there WILL be a record of that if it was sent.

I have sent in two ibooks for repair to Apple. Apple did in fact, send me a brown shipping box with a return prepaid shipping label with instructions on how to pack the iBook, and who to call @ FedEx for the return pickup. I do not remember for sure, but I think Apple provided documentation as to my serial number and FedEx tracking info for the returned iBook.

Apple had my iBook for a day and it was returned to me in two days. I also believe that I had to sign for the returned iBook.

I agree with others here, Apple has to have documentation on shipping the repair box to you, whether they ever received it for repair or not. FedEx had to scan the label Apple provided that was attached to the return box as well. Either company has to have some evidence or proof that a shipment and a label was generated fore your repair.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
+1 for the suggestion that it was lost by the shipping company and returned.

I had friends who worked at fedex and ups and they said packages get beat up and tossed around all the time there and the ones that get it the worst are the ones marked fragile.

Sad but true.

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
+1 for the suggestion that it was lost by the shipping company and returned.

I had friends who worked at fedex and ups and they said packages get beat up and tossed around all the time there and the ones that get it the worst are the ones marked fragile.

Sad but true.

But - you apply the included return shipping label to the box that Apple provides. When you take it to Fedex the first thing they do is scan that label - and voila - there is an online tracking record available to the OP and to Apple indicating the item has been scanned for delivery.

So the fact that OP, Fedex, or Apple has no record of this package is unusual, to say the least.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
If you called Apple, gave them all the info they needed to send a shipping box to you, they send you an email to confirm it all. ALL the information you need is in that email. I've dealt with them via the phone before and our IT guy has as well, they take your name, address, phone, email etc...

You wouldn't receive a Apple shipping box without an email showing your case. Apple doesn't sell you a $20 adapter without an email coming to you, they email you for every transaction, every tech help call etc.. Pull up the email, work from there with Apple.

You're right; if the OP received a shipping box from Apple, then Apple would know about that shipping box. And that shipping box will very likely have a number that would have identified you and your computer, and I would think that number would be somewhere in FedEx's systems.

Rondue

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
PA
I think you screwed yourself by going out of the country when you had a 2000 dollar laptop in the service process. I made time for my Macbook Air issue and it got CRU'd and I'm happy now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.