Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
Have the Series 5 Stainless Steel model and considering moving up to the Edition (titanium) model. One thing holding me back is the ability to buff out the SS model with, for example, a cape cod cloth - but I'm wondering how practical it is. Doesn't it harm the screen? Is it difficult to manage on the side with the button and crown?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Have the Series 5 Stainless Steel model and considering moving up to the Edition (titanium) model. One thing holding me back is the ability to buff out the SS model with, for example, a cape cod cloth - but I'm wondering how practical it is. Doesn't it harm the screen? Is it difficult to manage on the side with the button and crown?

The Cape Cod cloth is very easy to use, you essentially just need part of the cloth wrapped around your finger and you apply light pressure to remove any scratches. However, what you don’t want to happen is for the cloth to come into contact with the display, which will cause a reaction with the oleophobic coating. To avoid that, some use ‘blue painters tape’ to mask off the edges. Also, keep in mind, the cloth contains a solution, so when you approach near the ports on the Apple Watch, lightly go around them.

I’ve use the Cape Cod cloth multiple times, it works excellent and it’s a nice little advantage to the regular stainless model.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
SBSS with grey sports band. Thoughts?

Attachments

• B322B72D-95AB-442F-A5A5-050A4BE052F1.jpeg
    B322B72D-95AB-442F-A5A5-050A4BE052F1.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 285
  • 7CF94C6C-E2C7-499D-B4FA-FA3421E698F8.jpeg
    7CF94C6C-E2C7-499D-B4FA-FA3421E698F8.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 316
  • CC10EE37-D42B-4B01-B94B-AB00EAA6ED07.jpeg
    CC10EE37-D42B-4B01-B94B-AB00EAA6ED07.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 335

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
SBSS with grey sports band. Thoughts?
Classy. IMO the gray sport band seems a better match for the SBSS than the black sport band. Not a big fan of the band color in the third picture tho.
[automerge]1571122314[/automerge]
I’ve use the Cape Cod cloth multiple times, it works excellent and it’s a nice little advantage to the regular stainless model.
While cap cod paper works miracles on polished steel, it might be a different story when applied on brushed metal. I wonder if someone dared trying on a Ti model.

Reactions: SoN1NjA

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Classy. IMO the gray sport band seems a better match for the SBSS than the black sport band. Not a big fan of the band color in the third picture tho.

While cap cod paper works miracles on polished steel, it might be a different story when applied on brushed metal. I wonder if someone dared trying on a Ti model.

I think it was just the lighting in that 3rd picture. Here’s the combo in a different light. I love this combo. Especially because you cannot buy this band.

Attachments

• 364E5166-A5E6-425A-9738-2EBCEB113883.jpeg
    364E5166-A5E6-425A-9738-2EBCEB113883.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 228
  • 99E082C6-D767-4481-BD4C-9FE85B568105.jpeg
    99E082C6-D767-4481-BD4C-9FE85B568105.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 246
Reactions: Strangedream

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK

I think it was just the lighting in that 3rd picture. Here’s the combo in a different light.
Neat! Is it the gray/black band that came with the S3 SG ceramic?
Thanks. No it’s the band from the new SBTi.

Attachments

• 36C059A4-61AA-4266-867E-5C68B7E5430B.jpeg
    36C059A4-61AA-4266-867E-5C68B7E5430B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 164
  • C097FF16-D4A8-4E9A-AEDA-081E1A9D6727.jpeg
    C097FF16-D4A8-4E9A-AEDA-081E1A9D6727.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 138

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
Got my SBSS at the weekend. I’m not 100% convinced the colour suits me as I’m used to SS, but I’m willing to let that go if it will survive longer without damage...

Thinking it might look sweet with a brown leather strap, but they always have silver lugs, right?

Lovingv thealways ok though, transforms the look.

image.jpg

Tony_YYZ

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
Oooh, careful of that 'scratchtastic' band on both the display and the body if it's the official DLC Milanese.
It's a 3rd party Milanese that I had with my S3 SS. I always tried to be careful when it was off my wrist because of how it had a tendency to scratch watches. I learned this from reviews prior to buying my S3 SS. But thanks!

Reactions: iamasmith

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Oooh, careful of that 'scratchtastic' band on both the display and the body if it's the official DLC Milanese.

I found it out the hard way :(

Found a hairline dint in my SBSS case in the gap where it meets the screen.

I have no idea how it got there as I've been very careful with it.

Maybe it's the SBSS milanese loop that did this? I thought the DLC coating was supposed to be very strong :(

Fynd

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
I found it out the hard way :(

Found a hairline dint in my SBSS case in the gap where it meets the screen.

I have no idea how it got there as I've been very careful with it.

Maybe it's the SBSS milanese loop that did this? I thought the DLC coating was supposed to be very strong :(

it’s incredibly strong and that’s the problem there. DLC will scratch DLC.

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Great /s Noticed last night that there’s now a scratch on my SBSS. I think this must be caused by the strap as I’ve been hyper-careful with it, haven’t bashed it against anything :mad:

Given that I went with the SB as I’d read it was more robust than the SS, I’ve now ordered an SS and will probably return the SB - as mentioned up-thread, I’m not convinced on the look of the SB anyway and miss the look of my S2SS.

I wonder why Apple feel the need to coat the band with DLC when it screws up the watch case. Band could just be painted, and can be replaced when it wears, but the watch should be good for 2-3 years imo.

Problem with the SBSS, as I see it, is that once it’s scratched, that’s it. It stands-out like hell and can’t be repaired. Scratches on the SS are both less visible and can be removed at home with a little polishing.

I can’t begin to imagine how tatty this SBSS would look after 6 months. Even the case of the ALS4 I was wearing previously is totally unmarked, and I bought that in February.

Very disappointed...
[automerge]1571216497[/automerge]
D42237A6-45FC-4000-AD7C-6724782EC5BB.jpeg

Attachments

• 8683481B-E48F-46AA-BB60-F07C4E135385.jpeg
    8683481B-E48F-46AA-BB60-F07C4E135385.jpeg
    390.3 KB · Views: 189
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 222

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Great /s Noticed last night that there’s now a scratch on my SBSS. I think this must be caused by the strap as I’ve been hyper-careful with it, haven’t bashed it against anything :mad:

Given that I went with the SB as I’d read it was more robust than the SS, I’ve now ordered an SS and will probably return the SB - as mentioned up-thread, I’m not convinced on the look of the SB anyway and miss the look of my S2SS.

I wonder why Apple feel the need to coat the band with DLC when it screws up the watch case. Band could just be painted, and can be replaced when it wears, but the watch should be good for 2-3 years imo.

Problem with the SBSS, as I see it, is that once it’s scratched, that’s it. It stands-out like hell and can’t be repaired. Scratches on the SS are both less visible and can be removed at home with a little polishing.

I can’t begin to imagine how tatty this SBSS would look after 6 months. Even the case of the ALS4 I was wearing previously is totally unmarked, and I bought that in February.

Very disappointed...
View attachment 869874
It’s fortunate that you’re still within the return period.
Mine is also scratched by the Milanese loop, even though it’s just a tiny hairline dint in the upper left corner. But I can’t return mine cos it got it on launch day :(
74D1D85F-E400-4AA7-820E-3C230424E3F8.jpeg

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
It’s fortunate that you’re still within the return period.
Mine is also scratched by the Milanese loop, even though it’s just a tiny hairline dint in the upper left corner. But I can’t return mine cos it got it on launch day :(
View attachment 869878

Sorry for you there :-(

I find it quite disingenuous to have a band that scratched the watch. I insist on the Milanese as I do a lot of sports and it’s the best band if you don’t want to be swapping, the sports bands being both generally ugly, uncomfortable (for me), awkward to put on and sweaty underneath.

Fortunately I got mine from Amazon - they don’t sell the SS in Belgium as they are no eSim carriers. So I have 30 days to return. Will get the SS tomorrow, will then return one of them.

it’s possible that the DLC is resistant to all other scratches, but if the strap keeps making it up where it loops around the lug, then I consider this a basic design fault, especially on a €850 watch.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area

Very disappointed...
View attachment 869874
My SBSS with Milanese loop is perfect after a year. I‘v never seen a SBSS scratched as badly as yours.

Tony_YYZ

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
Does the silver milanese loop cause scratching issues as well? Or is that just with the SB milanese? I bought my S5SS with the silver milanese but have not opened the band box yet.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Does the silver milanese loop cause scratching issues as well? Or is that just with the SB milanese? I bought my S5SS with the silver milanese but have not opened the band box yet.
Mine seems ok so far but it’s only been a month

Reactions: Tony_YYZ

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I don’t understand the preoccupation with scratching. It is a Watch! I have two digital quartz watches with mineral crystals. Both have scratches. I am hard on watches. Life goes better when one forgets about every scratch. If my new S5 SB SS develops scratches, I will survive.

I will offer a suggestion though. If you have the SB Milanese Loop, and believe the band can scratch the watch, the charging puck is not a good idea. Get a charging dock that allows you to charge the watch on its side. This lessens the likelihood the band will come in contact with the watch. The link bracelet is also less likely to scratch the watch, but it is costly.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
My SBSS with Milanese loop is perfect after a year. I‘v never seen a SBSS scratched as badly as yours.

Well, that's 4 days old and handled with extreme care. Does your have the Milanese strap?

I don’t understand the preoccupation with scratching. It is a Watch! I have two digital quartz watches with mineral crystals. Both have scratches. I am hard on watches. Life goes better when one forgets about every scratch. If my new S5 SB SS develops scratches, I will survive.

I will offer a suggestion though. If you have the SB Milanese Loop, and believe the band can scratch the watch, the charging puck is not a good idea. Get a charging dock that allows you to charge the watch on its side. This lessens the likelihood the band will come in contact with the watch. The link bracelet is also less likely to scratch the watch, but it is costly.

I like my gadgets to be nice and shiny. I have a stainless TAG which is quite beaten-up and that doesn't bother me at all.

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK

If you have a SS watch body then it really depends if the steel on the band is harder than the body and I've never owned one but might at some point as they are down by 1/3 price here.

If talking about a standard SS body vs a DLC it's less of an issue because it's plain SS and a 'Cape Cod Cloth' as quoted by USA posters (I'm sure we have similar here) will buff out the scratches. For the body on the SS the lustre is so high my old eyes don't see minor scratches anyway so I'm not too sussed.

For a DLC coated watch then the DLC will be harder than the plain milanese so problem sorted (other than aesethetically). Sadly it looks like the band is >= the hardness of the DLC coating and CAN scratch the case.

For the SCREEN... and this is the big issue - Apple's Synthetic Sapphire appears from some observations to be about 7 on the mohs scale and the DLC coating of a black Milanese band appears to be higher and hence some scratching seems to occur when the band contacts the screen but wouldn't with the plain Milanese.

Reactions: nordique

Tony_YYZ

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
If you have a SS watch body then it really depends if the steel on the band is harder than the body and I've never owned one but might at some point as they are down by 1/3 price here.

If talking about a standard SS body vs a DLC it's less of an issue because it's plain SS and a 'Cape Cod Cloth' as quoted by USA posters (I'm sure we have similar here) will buff out the scratches. For the body on the SS the lustre is so high my old eyes don't see minor scratches anyway so I'm not too sussed.

For a DLC coated watch then the DLC will be harder than the plain milanese so problem sorted (other than aesethetically). Sadly it looks like the band is >= the hardness of the DLC coating and CAN scratch the case.

For the SCREEN... and this is the big issue - Apple's Synthetic Sapphire appears from some observations to be about 7 on the mohs scale and the DLC coating of a black Milanese band appears to be higher and hence some scratching seems to occur when the band contacts the screen but wouldn't with the plain Milanese.

Yeah it's more about the standard stainless silver body and band. I know the DLC ones are prone to scratching but since this is my first OEM silver stainless band, I just wanted to know how careful I need to be with it.

I have some Cape Cod cloths that I used to polish up my SS S3 so that I can list it for sale. This was the first time I used the polishing cloths and it did a decent job.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
am i the only one not thinking about my watch's re-sale value? i keep my gadgets in great condition dont get me wrong but by the time im usually ready to let them go im already taking a loss as it is so i dont even bother

I had my SS S0 for three years before I bought my SB SS S4 and I expect to get three-plus years out of it, as well. So resale value is not an issue for me, personally.

I love the Space Black DLC coating - I like to think this is what a Black Ceramic Apple Watch Edition would look like. I did swap the silver lugs on my Classic Leather Loop bands for black ones, however, so they match the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.