Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I have ordered the SB link bracelet. Is it difficult to install the band? When putting the watch on abd off every day, what is involved ? Is it just disengagement of the clasp?

Thanks

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
After a day of wearing SBSS snd SS together, I accepted that I prefer the industrial look of the SS and have returned the SBSS to Amazon.

If mine was no object then I would have kept both as the SBSS also has z lot of charm, but that would have beenA rather ostentatious path to take, so I kept it sensible.

i use a loaded Infograph when out-and-about, California in the office - find this violet
AF92781A-033B-40C8-A0A2-4572F75550AE.jpeg
9D4410FB-D225-4B0E-A6CA-808732CE88AA.jpeg

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
After a day of wearing SBSS snd SS together, I accepted that I prefer the industrial look of the SS and have returned the SBSS to Amazon.

If mine was no object then I would have kept both as the SBSS also has z lot of charm, but that would have beenA rather ostentatious path to take, so I kept it sensible.

i use a loaded Infograph when out-and-about, California in the office - find this violet View attachment 870784 View attachment 870785
Last year I bought the SBSS and SS S4. Though ostentatious as you as you said, I couldn’t part with either one of them. This year I really want the natural Ti but, just can’t justify 3 Apple watches.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
I have ordered the SB link bracelet. Is it difficult to install the band? When putting the watch on abd off every day, what is involved ? Is it just disengagement of the clasp?

Thanks

You have to basically break the band in half at any of the links. It's easy to do with a push of the link button. You have to do this because the bracelet is rigid laterally and won't allow maneuvering of the band into the watch slots. I've heard some say it loosens up over time, but I've always taken it apart to install and remove because I don't want to damage the watch.
[automerge]1571496128[/automerge]
Last year I bought the SBSS and SS S4. Though ostentatious as you as you said, I couldn’t part with either one of them. This year I really want the natural Ti but, just can’t justify 3 Apple watches.

I had S4 SS and SBSS. Sold the SBSS and got S5 SBSS. I kept cellular on the S4 SS for runs, etc. Love having both.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
You have to basically break the band in half at any of the links. It's easy to do with a push of the link button. You have to do this because the bracelet is rigid laterally and won't allow maneuvering of the band into the watch slots. I've heard some say it loosens up over time, but I've always taken it apart to install and remove because I don't want to damage the watch.
[automerge]1571496128[/automerge]

How do I undo the clasp?

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
How do I undo the clasp?

There are two opposite buttons on the clasp that you squeeze, the band opens then. It is very easy to do everyday. It is a bit tricky to close the band at first, but I think I get the hang of it slowly. It really is no issue, though. Maybe I am too sleepy in the morning sometimes and get confused. ?

BaddAdvice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2016

i use a loaded Infograph when out-and-about, California in the office - find this violet View attachment 870784 View attachment 870785
I'm leaning the same way - my SS just arrived and, at the very least, for a change of pace, I may return the SBSS and stick with the SS this time around.

Attachments

• F1746CC2-F8EA-4517-997F-989AD80FD42F_1_201_a.jpeg
    F1746CC2-F8EA-4517-997F-989AD80FD42F_1_201_a.jpeg
    324.4 KB · Views: 391
  • 5EF18C66-2AB0-4679-A079-4D40A13E5EAD_1_201_a.jpeg
    5EF18C66-2AB0-4679-A079-4D40A13E5EAD_1_201_a.jpeg
    320.4 KB · Views: 399

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
Wow the natural stainless steel with link bracelet also looks amazing! ? But I guess I would be happy with either of the two options. You just have to refrain yourself from coming into this thread and oogling at the one you do not have on your wrist, haha!

Reactions: xodh

FCDP

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
Toronto, Canada
My original plan was to wait for the space grey nike edition S5, but after reading so many stories of ion-x displays scratching way to easily, I decided to jump up to the space black titanium. My S4 was a silver stainless steel, and I wanted to go back to a darker watch. I'm over the silver stainless look.

Went into the Apple Store to try the titanium watch in space black, and while it was nice, I loved the look of the space black stainless. I had an S3 version, and it just looks so damn good compared to the titanium. The display just melts into the space black casing. Yes it can get smudgy with fingerprints, but the way it reflects light is in my opinion much nicer than the dull titanium look.

I already had the space black link bracelet from before, and a Milanese loop. Decided to go with the anchor grey sport loop for something different. It's incredibly cozy and more relaxed when I'm not feeling the link band. I'm avoiding the space black milanese loop after it had a go at scratching up my S3... I'll save using it for extra cautious days, if at all.

IMG_0726.JPEG

IMG_0728.JPEG

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Is it difficult? No. What might be difficult for you, (I think you mentioned you’re much older, like 75 or something.) is manipulating the links that you want to remove to customize the lengths of the bracelet. It’s just a push of a button, and they separate, but the buttons are relatively small, and each link can individually detach to shorten the bracelet. [Apple actually sells additional links if you need additional lengths if you have a larger wrist.]

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
@RP. How do you close tge clamp?

The clasp is opened and closed with a ‘push button style’ that’s on both sides of the clasp/bracelet (It blends in nicely with the band, but it doesn’t take much effort to detach the band from your wrist). Very easy to manipulate.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
The clasp is opened and closed with a ‘push button style’ that’s on both sides of the clasp/bracelet (It blends in nicely with the band, but it doesn’t take much effort to detach the band from your wrist). Very easy to manipulate.

Thanks @RP. I’m more worried about closing it. Does it just slide closed? Does it flip over like a normal link band? I’m looking for an alternative to my SB ML. I am not sure I would do well with the regular Sport Loop b/c of wrist rashes. I do well with stainless steel.

I am assuming that the SBSS is a better match to the SB link bracelet then the SBTi would be. Since both watch cases have DLC, I am assuming they are equivalents with regard to scratch resistance, but I could be wrong.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Thanks @RP. I’m more worried about closing it. Does it just slide closed? Does it flip over like a normal link band? I’m looking for an alternative to my SB ML. I am not sure I would do well with the regular Sport Loop b/c of wrist rashes. I do well with stainless

Take a look at this short video, it gives you a first perspective of the link bracelet overview:

I am assuming that the SBSS is a better match to the SB link bracelet then the SBTi would be. Since both watch cases have DLC, I am assuming they are equivalents with regard to scratch resistance, but I could be wrong.

You can mix/match the space black link bracket with whatever. The Contrast looks good (I always paired the link bravely with contrasting stainless casings, it looks great.) And Yes, the DLC is equally the same on the titanium space black and space black stainless.

Reactions: Dguitarnut

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Given my dexterity issues, my tendency to wrist rashes, I fear the link bracelet is not for me. One advantage of the ML is it breathes. Not so sure about the link bracelet.

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
The link bracelet tore my wrist up and I had to return it.
I've been mostly wearing the link bracelet for years and it's the first time I see something like that. How'd happen?
[automerge]1571635095[/automerge]
Given my dexterity issues, my tendency to wrist rashes, I fear the link bracelet is not for me. One advantage of the ML is it breathes. Not so sure about the link bracelet.
The bracelet is very easy to put on and if you keep it slightly loose like I do it's pretty comfortable. I admit, there sure are better choices for hot weather / intense work outs, and with the SBLB you have to be careful not to ding up the band or else the DLC might wear off.

Dguitarnut

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
St Petersburg Fl.
I've been mostly wearing the link bracelet for years and it's the first time I see something like that. How'd happen?
[automerge]1571635095[/automerge]

The bracelet is very easy to put on and if you keep it slightly loose like I do it's pretty comfortable. I admit, there sure are better choices for hot weather / intense work outs, and with the SBLB you have to be careful not to ding up the band or else the DLC might wear off.

Ok Ok ........remember your grandma or grandpa and how their skin was thin and and much more susceptible to cuts and bruises? Lol.....I am finally a grandparent to the most beautiful little girl of which I have multiple kaleidoscope versions of her photos!
If you rub the sides of the very thin bracelet up towards the watch face you will feel the sharpness.
Had the band been half the price I would have kept it for that occasionally dressier times but at the price I returned it within the return window. I purchased the SS Nomad with thicker links which My wrist tolerates better.
My other watches including a Rolex DeepSea and PaneraI 220 with heavier bracelets never caused the problem despite being honkers in comparison.
That all said all the photos with the Milanese band have me wanting one despite never have been a fan of the design. At that price you can justify for once in a blue moon wear.
I guess I’m an old phart now........there I said it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Strangedream

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Does SSSB look too much like the Space Gray Aluminum model? Not sure if it is worth the $200 up charge.

Tony_YYZ

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015

Hello fellow Tesla and S5SS owner and user of Stats.

Reactions: Lycanthrope
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.