Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LostAggie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
Ok Ok ........remember your grandma or grandpa and how their skin was thin and and much more susceptible to cuts and bruises? Lol.....I am finally a grandparent to the most beautiful little girl of which I have multiple kaleidoscope versions of her photos!
If you rub the sides of the very thin bracelet up towards the watch face you will feel the sharpness.
Had the band been half the price I would have kept it for that occasionally dressier times but at the price I returned it within the return window. I purchased the SS Nomad with thicker links which My wrist tolerates better.
My other watches including a Rolex DeepSea and PaneraI 220 with heavier bracelets never caused the problem despite being honkers in comparison.
That all said all the photos with the Milanese band have me wanting one despite never have been a fan of the design. At that price you can justify for once in a blue moon wear.
I guess I’m an old phart now........there I said it.

How is the quality of the Nomad band compared to the one from Apple?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Does SSSB look too much like the Space Gray Aluminum model? Not sure if it is worth the $200 up charge.

The Space black stainless v.s. space gray are totally different shades of black. The high-gloss is what separates the stainless space black. But anyways, The $200 ‘up charge’ you referring to, is for the materials of the stainless/sapphire, if that doesn’t appeal to you in terms of having a more premium watch in terms of what the stainless offers with the weight/shine, and of course the advantage of the sapphire display along with the DLC, then that up-charge wouldn’t apply to you, but I would happily pay that $200 alone for the [sapphire and DLC].

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
One advantage of the ML is it breathes. Not so sure about the link bracelet.

The link bracelet is a bit loose on my wrist so I have not had an issue wearing it during warm weather as it can "breathe".

Does SSSB look too much like the Space Gray Aluminum model? Not sure if it is worth the $200 up charge.

As others have noted, the DLC coating on the SBSS is very shiny. I liken it to the Ceramic Apple Watch, just black instead of white (or grey for earlier series). It is very different than the Space Black Aluminum or Titanium (IMO, it looks better than both).

As for the higher price, you do get what most believe is a more durable watch in terms of materials. The sapphire glass and DLC coating both appear to resist scratching better than the ion glass and aluminum.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
You have to basically break the band in half at any of the links. It's easy to do with a push of the link button. You have to do this because the bracelet is rigid laterally and won't allow maneuvering of the band into the watch slots. I've heard some say it loosens up over time, but I've always taken it apart to install and remove because I don't want to damage the watch.
[automerge]1571496128[/automerge]

I had S4 SS and SBSS. Sold the SBSS and got S5 SBSS. I kept cellular on the S4 SS for runs, etc. Love having both.
deleted

Dguitarnut

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
St Petersburg Fl.
How is the quality of the Nomad band compared to the one from Apple?
The quality is just as good. Only downside is that the sizing of the band is a chore although it comes with a tool and sizing is a full link or nothing. Most conventional bands have 1/2 links if needed.
So in my case it’s a little too tight or a little too loose. The Apple link Bracelet can be adjusted on the fly with no tools and with better wrist size tolerances.

Attachments

• 1DACF00C-4334-48C2-9844-7339F0019D21.jpeg
    1DACF00C-4334-48C2-9844-7339F0019D21.jpeg
    294.1 KB · Views: 215
  • DF663424-FDA9-4987-94F7-57C4E99BFDEB.jpeg
    DF663424-FDA9-4987-94F7-57C4E99BFDEB.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 190
Reactions: Strangedream

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I currently have the S5 SBSS with the SB ML and love it. For a variety of reasons, I find the band very easy to manage.

I am looking for a link bracelet that does not require you to disengage links before removing the band. This sort of rules out the Apple link bracelet for me.

are there any high quality link bracelet bands that DO NOT require you to take the band apart in order to remove it from the watch?

if not, I may just stick with the ML that cane with my watch!

Thanks

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
Disengaging the links on the original apple steel bracelet is as easy as pushing a button. It does not get easier than that and should be no reason not to get it.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
I got a genuine space black link bracelet for less than half the original price off eBay and I also love it. I would never pay 450 bucks for it, but it certainly adds to the charme for me that I know it originally is worth that much, haha! Combined with the always-on display and a minimal watch face, it looks like a futuristic mechanical watch. Super cool and I look forward to putting it on every morning.

How do you know it is the real thing and not a knock off? I've seen knock offs look pretty close to the real thing and (not being racist here), but they are coming straight from China...

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
How do you know it is the real thing and not a knock off? I've seen knock offs look pretty close to the real thing and (not being racist here), but they are coming straight from China...

Look at this thread:

Many people bought their bands at this seller and are satisfied, some have an original link bracelet to compare it to. Of course you never can be 100% sure, but the finish, tolerances and overall functionality of each component is so close to perfect that I do not know how it could be any better. If there was any doubt it was a cheap knock-off I would have wanted my money back, but it is worth every penny for me.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
How do you know it is the real thing and not a knock off?

Arguably, we don't, though Apple is now starting to embed serial numbers on some bands and people are reporting that these serial numbers are showing up on some of their more recent eBay auction items. The stock also fluctuates (if they were fakes, they should always have them available) and the quality on them varies from effectively new (like mine) to various degrees of cosmetic blemishes (which are indicated in the respective auctions). Together, this gives me the impression they are getting access to overstocked and factory rejected product.

I mean in the end, if it is a fake, it's a perfect one. So if I can get a band that is identical to one I would buy from Apple for half the price, I consider it a deal. (And some of the bands I have purchased from them have come sealed in an official box, which is why I think some of this is overstock).

I've seen knock offs look pretty close to the real thing and (not being racist here), but they are coming straight from China...

Well to be fair, the retail boxed Apple bands come straight from China, too. :p

Reactions: Duncan68
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.