Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gagee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
I am struggling with the ceramic vs SS decision also. I like the ceramic but not sure I love it. And the price difference is in the back of my mind for something I don’t love, at least not yet.

I don’t love the SS either but I do like. I have had SBSS for a few iterations so wanted a change. My problem is I get closer to loving the SS when paired with the link bracelet but that adds $350 to the price of the SS and then I question.
Yeah That is true then you’re in the price range of the Hermes. Then the ceramic is a bit more. In Canada it’s a lot more. It’s starts at 1800 Canadian.

Reactions: Vampire14

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2016
I am struggling with the ceramic vs SS decision also. I like the ceramic but not sure I love it. And the price difference is in the back of my mind for something I don’t love, at least not yet.

I don’t love the SS either but I do like. I have had SBSS for a few iterations so wanted a change. My problem is I get closer to loving the SS when paired with the link bracelet but that adds $350 to the price of the SS and then I question.

I came from SBSS to regular SS. wanted to see how the other side lived. The ceramic is cool but it’s harder to get a certain professional look out of it that you can easily get by using the SS and link bracelet.

BaddAdvice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2016
One week on with the SS vs. the SBSS and I made the right decision. Having had the SBSS a couple times, the change is very welcome and the SS just looks soooo good!

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
I had SSS S0 & 2 then went SB for S3. I loved it, but what i found was there were times i wished I had the SSS. That said, I loved the look of the SBSS with the Milanese loop. Had a year off with SG Alu for the S4 and went SSG this time for the S5.

Love it, but I think the next one will be SSS. The main issue are the lack of matching lugs for it. Third party are all really yellow gold and the Apple Leather straps I have, I just see the silver all the time.

That saying, IMO the best combo is the SSG with etc SSG Milanese. Absolutely stunning.

As an aside, I have loads of sports bands/loops, and nothing beats the SG Alu with those. Maybe I've got too used to seeing the SG for a year, but the SSG just looks weird with them to me at the moment. On that subject, does anyone know if Apple sell the stone spirts band with the gold pin separately?

Nancy&co

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
Devon
I had SSS S0 & 2 then went SB for S3. I loved it, but what i found was there were times i wished I had the SSS. That said, I loved the look of the SBSS with the Milanese loop. Had a year off with SG Alu for the S4 and went SSG this time for the S5.

Love it, but I think the next one will be SSS. The main issue are the lack of matching lugs for it. Third party are all really yellow gold and the Apple Leather straps I have, I just see the silver all the time.

That saying, IMO the best combo is the SSG with etc SSG Milanese. Absolutely stunning.

As an aside, I have loads of sports bands/loops, and nothing beats the SG Alu with those. Maybe I've got too used to seeing the SG for a year, but the SSG just looks weird with them to me at the moment. On that subject, does anyone know if Apple sell the stone spirts band with the gold pin separately?

Hi, I recently bought the stone strap with gold pin from stuff-uk.net, I think they may be out of stock of the 44mm but who knows they might get some back in but they do have 1 or 2 of the 40mm. In any case if you want to search the net the code numbers for the Stone band with gold pin are 3E314ZM/A for the 44mm and the 40mm is 3E312ZM/A - these numbers are different from the norm because the watch straps are the original ones bundled with the watch for the series 4. Good luck!

Reactions: BillGates1969

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
Thanks both!

I believe the only official way to get non-Stainless pins on sport bands is with the bundled ones. That said... eBay.
Hi, I recently bought the stone strap with gold pin from stuff-uk.net, I think they may be out of stock of the 44mm but who knows they might get some back in but they do have 1 or 2 of the 40mm. In any case if you want to search the net the code numbers for the Stone band with gold pin are 3E314ZM/A for the 44mm and the 40mm is 3E312ZM/A - these numbers are different from the norm because the watch straps are the original ones bundled with the watch for the series 4. Good luck!

abeasom

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2013
I said I wasn't going to buy S5 watch, but here I am now buying a SBSS. I have an Apple black Milanese loop watch band I bought a few years ago and will use that with it. I bought a Macally charging stand to use to charge it upright so the band doesn't scratch the watch body. This will be my first Stainless watch and I'm looking forward to wearing it. Will be keeping Aluminum S4 for work everyday and Aluminum S3 as a sleeper and beater.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
I said I wasn't going to buy S5 watch, but here I am now buying a SBSS. I have an Apple black Milanese loop watch band I bought a few years ago and will use that with it. I bought a Macally charging stand to use to charge it upright so the band doesn't scratch the watch body. This will be my first Stainless watch and I'm looking forward to wearing it. Will be keeping Aluminum S4 for work everyday and Aluminum S3 as a sleeper and beater.

If you are at work most of the day and using the S4 for work, it doesn't make much sense to buy the S5 right now. I would wait for the S6.
[automerge]1572276260[/automerge]
Curious what brightness settings you guys use for your watch? I'm also trying to see if there is a auto-adjust for brightness and I seem to read conflicting reports on whether the watch has an ambient light sensor or not.

Last edited:

LostAggie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
If you are at work most of the day and using the S4 for work, it doesn't make much sense to buy the S5 right now. I would wait for the S6.
Curious what brightness settings you guys use for your watch? I'm also trying to see if there is a auto-adjust for brightness and I seem to read conflicting reports on whether the watch has an ambient light sensor or not.

It does appear there is an ambient light sensor.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I use medium brightness. One click back from full brightness. When I’m in a darker room the display doesn’t light fully on wrist raise. If I move the watch into a brighter light from there the brightness increases so yes there is a light sensor. If I remember correctly, it was mentioned in the keynote that there is a new improved light sensor on the S5.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I use medium brightness. One click back from full brightness. When I’m in a darker room the display doesn’t light fully on wrist raise. If I move the watch into a brighter light from there the brightness increases so yes there is a light sensor. If I remember correctly, it was mentioned in the keynote that there is a new improved light sensor on the S5.
The new light sensor might be low power, but I find it has two settings when the screen becomes active — too dim or too bright.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Spent a week with the natural Ti. I exchanged the watch and am back with the SBSS with SB ML. I have a charging dock that requires the watch to be charged on its side. I find the ML easiest for me to handle, given my hand dexterity. Hopefully charging on its side will mitigate scratching. So far three days without any scratches. I did not like the SBTi.

Last edited:

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Spent a week with the natural Ti. I exchanged the watch and am back with the SBSS with SB ML. I have a charging dock that requires the watch to be charged on its side. I find the ML easiest for me to handle, given my hand dexterity. Hopefully charging on its side will mitigate scratching. So far three days without any scratches.
You should be fine. Just continue to be aware when handling.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
This is my favorite Apple Watch combo.

362a0a008ec9f02b72fc836196cc0d6c.jpg

James Bond?

Reactions: jonnyb098

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
You should be fine. Just continue to be aware when handling.

Spent a week with the SBSS and SB ML. Careful to charge the watch on its side. So far no scratching.

Anyone use the SBSS watch with the new anchor grey sport loop? Does the combination work?

Thanks.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Spent a week with the SBSS and SB ML. Careful to charge the watch on its side. So far no scratching.

Anyone use the SBSS watch with the new anchor grey sport loop? Does the combination work?

Thanks.
This was the combo I had before flipping for my SBTi.

Attachments

• 47B99F37-77C5-4DC3-B5A5-9EB78892B854.jpeg
    47B99F37-77C5-4DC3-B5A5-9EB78892B854.jpeg
    381.1 KB · Views: 266
  • 2B8999B6-3B0B-4237-AFF5-6053C2F665F8.jpeg
    2B8999B6-3B0B-4237-AFF5-6053C2F665F8.jpeg
    307.2 KB · Views: 234
  • C8AA0979-50EA-4EFD-8FD4-8D0307BAABB5.jpeg
    C8AA0979-50EA-4EFD-8FD4-8D0307BAABB5.jpeg
    469.1 KB · Views: 210
Reactions: Donnation

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI

Thanks.

What purcautions should one take if they want to use the SB ML and not get scratches?

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
This was the combo I had before flipping for my SBTi.

you used the Sport Loop? I’m using the SB ML.

I looked at the SBTi and did not care for it. I am also trying to follow my dermatologist’s suggestion, who advises sticking with SS watch and ML. I like shiny, rather than brushed. Looking for a band to switch off, when I am in the mood.

LostAggie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
you mean to use the SB ML period? I guess I was asking, where/how it scratches?

Mostly it will scratch the screen if you are not completely care putting on and taking off your wrist and changing bands. I take care of my items but just to easy to be tired or distracted and boom, scratched screen.

Reactions: eclipse01

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Mostly it will scratch the screen if you are not completely care putting on and taking off your wrist and changing bands. I take care of my items but just to easy to be tired or distracted and boom, scratched screen.

I tried the link bracelet at the Apple store and could not manage it. It’s not for me, so don’t go there. My doctor prefers that I use a SS band because of being prone to wrist rashes. That only leaves the ML band unless I am missing something. I would prefer to stay with Apple bands. I thought about the new sport loop bands. I tried one and my wrist felt warm and slightly sweaty. Therefore I am stuck with the ML.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I just upgraded to the s5 SS SB from a s3 SS SB. Amazon had the cellular model for $50 off ($724 total). It is still syncing the backup but, I like going from the S3 42mm to the 44mm size. I debated a good while between 40 or 44mm. I can tell already, that I made the right decision. It is also noticeably faster installing the 6.1 update and transferring the backup.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaytee86
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.