Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
mkrishnan said:
Oh, and by the way, was the bolded part above intentional, or was that the slip of the week? :D

"Clause", that "Claus" was a typo. Feeling really down about the entire situation indeed. Chocolate helps and I already have Tiger. No point buying the camera yet, though I will buy it a month before going on vacation (during christmas)... buying it now will only make matters worse as I will have all this anticipation built-up for a long long time. :)

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
maya said:
Tell me about it, worst part is I have more then 7 weeks built up in vacation time for this year and I see only 2 weeks of that and that also during christmas. :(
Do you get paid for what you can't use, or at least get to carry it over? If you're paid for it (or if it's an option) that would buy your camera, I'd imagine. One potential upside, I suppose. Sorry to hear about the delay though, I can feel the pain. :(

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
AL-FAMOUS said:
hahah, what a crock of ****

have you felt the d70, thats a toy! if anything canon is more like dell because they have the best equipment and technology, the best glass - its just there not as expensive

noise, no thanks - obviously canon users worry less about the feel of there camera (although my 20D feels fantastic and the 1 series are the best feeling cameras bar non) and more about the quality of there photography

Eh. I'd have to disagree that "canon has the best equipment and technology, the best glass, etc." I give that nod to Olympus. Canon and Nikon both could learn alot from the OlyFolks.

IMHO, Olympus is the company to watch. They're actually trying to RETHINK the SLR for digital. They're the apple-like company. Nuff said.

That said, Nikon's wide angles and normals spank canon's around the block with image quality. I know a lot of canon pros who buy sigma wide lenses cause the big red C can't keep up-- Canon wide angles have ALWAYS lagged behind the big yellow N's. Nikon's 12-24 has been out forever, giving DSLR folks a true wide. Canon just finally caught up on that.

Nikon had 802.11b & g a year before canon did. Canon is just catching up there.

Telephotos? Canon wins with more long IS glass and some decent price/performance in that range.

Noise? Sure. Canon might exhibit less noise (all bets are off if you don't know how to expose with ANY camera.. but I digress) Canon has less noise but....

Focusing? Canon might be a sliver faster, but every canon i've used (save for the one's I rented, if only because someone else did it for me) requires the body and lenses to be sent in for calibration. WTF is that? In the end, the speed is a toss-up, but Nikon wins hands down for accuracy. I've had more luck with Nikon being 100% accurate, and it's failures are more user influenced whereas Canon does have a BIG back focusing problem on the whole.

Sharpness. Nikon's files are infinitely sharper out of the camera than Canons. Canon chooses to do much more image processing in the camera, Nikon like to leave the processing to the end user. As a result:

Nikon = sharper + slightly noisier files with better highlight detail
Canon = slightly softer + less noisy with better shadow detail

Ergonomics? I know many a folk, even canon users, who agree that canon's UI is kludgier than nikons. The gap narrows as you get to the pro level stuff, and canon has better weatherproofing, and on the pro level, it's 6 in one hand, half dozen in the other, but to whit, there's no doubt the D70 crushes the rebels in build quality. Face it. It's a better built camera more on par with the 20d. Nikon also has most every advanced and non-advanced camera control accessible via a button.

Some PHOTOGRAPHERS might like that better. TECH GUYS seem to like canon's menu-driven style better. Me? I personally like not move my eye away from the viewfinder to change settings. In my experience with canon (having owned a 10d, tested and spent much time with a digital rebel, and having recently borrowed a 1d followed by a 1d2) I can honestly say that, for me, and for many other pro photogs, Nikon's UI and controls are better.

Couple that with the i-TTL features which I use extensively, and i'll say Nikon wins in ergonomics and integration, except for the lack of a PC sync for use with studio strobes.

Now recently, with the nikon white balance issue, I had the opportunity to test a Canon 1d2 vs D2h vs 1d. My conclusion is that, with propoer knowledge of photographic theory, one can achieve IDENTICAL photos, image quality wise. If you zoom in 200% you can see disparity in both--softness in canon, noise in nikon. Luckily both can be eradicated easily with software.

Canon wins on the mpix on the lower end, and for value with the 1d mkII. Nikon's D2x has shown it beats the 1ds/1ds2 and is a more well rounded, affordable digicam. I wouldn't touch the 1ds2 on the high end. At $8000 and with lens performance a huge issue, i'd avoid that one, as well as the FF kodaks.

For me, I prefer the ability to change settings on camera while I compose in the viewfinder. I'm a multi-tasking photographer, and Canon's UI is not for me.

I like Canon's noiseless images, but I wonder at what cost to image quality. I hate the fact that Nikon's images are noisier, but I love the sharpness and fidelity that I get from my nikons--i don't like a camera doing much of any work for me except exposing!

Canon's flash system is infinitely inferior to Nikons. Inconsistent, underexposed images from the flash led some of my canon images to have as much noise as nikons... with softer detail to boot! I use a flash often. E-ttl doesn't do it for me.

I'm less telephoto, more normal and wide. I like the intimacy it gives. Canon has the tele range locked down, though Nikon has some nice choices (200mm f2.0 VR AF-S!) but for the most part, canon gets the tele nod, Nikon gets the wide/normal nod. Nikkor 12-24 f/4 + Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 on a D2h with an SB-800 using i-TTL—that's a wicked combo that you really can't find a compliment for on the Canon end.

So in the end, it's a determination of what the shooter is shooting. If you want real innovation, look to Olympus, who's actually miniaturizing components and maximizing color/performance from their 4/3rds. It'll pass and obsolete 24x36mm full size sensors, IMHO, if only because it'll be easier to make faster lenses, which results in less need for hi-ISO, which alleviates the noise problem on the 4/3rds. Give olympus some time... but I think they'll really eat away from N & C.

If you want good wide, sharp images, and great normal/wide lens choice with great ergos, pick Nikon. if you want noise-free images that need less post-processing to go with your big gun teles, go Canon. The image quality at the end for either is more than we could get from 35mm film!

Although it seems like knowledegable Canon folks get too caught up in tests and ratings and mp and and and....and that's what REALLY bugs me about canon. ;) People like edesign but a camera and shoot. I like those cats. ;)

The canon-zealots get too caught up in it to realize that, GASP, just as nikon has issues, SO DO THEY. Both canon and nikon service suck, canon seems to have endless upgrades to firmware, nikon tends to have problems shipping, and i could go on. I hate Nikon's white balance decisions. And i got my hands on Canon equipment to see how it stacks up. It does, and it's great--every bit as good as Nikon, better in some areas, worse in others.

But the people who just praise Canon.... Man. I checked some canon forums, and there's no helpful advice at all (http://www.dg28.com is an exception, but it's less canon and more general). In canon forums, all i see are shots of brick walls to test for back-focusing and people laughing at nikon because they don't have a an 8mp mid range prosumer SLR. Weird. Weird. Weird. Nikon forums, especially http://www.nikonians.org, made me decide to stay with Nikon, even with this WB thing on the fore...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Moxiemike said:
Eh. I'd have to disagree[...]

This, folks, is what we in the industry refer to as a "smack down." :eek: ;) :D

I spent much of the afternoon out taking pictures here in Gainesville. I am still importing them *dreams of USB2*, but I think there are some good ones, with which I will be back shortly. :)

I figured, while I still have this kit lens that rocks 18mm, and no immediate plans to buy a better wide-angle, I could take advantage of it and try to take some architectural photos of campus. :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
BTW, oh MoxieMike, I have a question...when you're using your camera, do you mostly shoot in ... a mode that corresponds to Canon's "M" (manual ISO, aperture and shutter), or "Av" (aperture select), or something else? I've been playing around and mostly shooting in Av, but I'm very open to suggestions. :)

kiskadee

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2002
Belgium
help on choosing DSLR

AL-FAMOUS said:
well, what DSLR have you got?

Now i've got a "slow" Olympus E-20P (fixed lense... :( ). I'm looking for a new DSLR. What camera/lense would be best for photographing indoor sports...

thanks...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
edesignuk said:
I'm sure if I actually knew what I was doing, I could have done a much better job...meh, good enough for now :)

I like the panoramic crop! And I want to live next door to that field of flowers that you posted way back on page 1 of this thread! :D Although, erm, in my dream world they would be violets or orchids.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
mkrishnan said:
BTW, oh MoxieMike, I have a question...when you're using your camera, do you mostly shoot in ... a mode that corresponds to Canon's "M" (manual ISO, aperture and shutter), or "Av" (aperture select), or something else? I've been playing around and mostly shooting in Av, but I'm very open to suggestions. :)

Let me give you one of the best hints out there-- Canon, Nikon, whoever, all have these modes. They correspond to:

S/Tv = Shutter Priority mode. Excellent when you want to stop (or try to stop) motion. Pick a high shutter spped (ie...1/500th of a second) and your cam picks the aperture. When I shoot daylight sports, I shoot at 1/500th, and the camera pics an aperture for me.

A/Av = Aperture priority. Good for landscapes, as you can pick an aperture that yields the best sharpness and DOF for your shot, i.e. architectural shots.

M/M = You control Aperture AND shutter. I use this, say, if it's dusk and I want to try and freeze motion on flags on a building but want decent depth of field. It's the most flexible, and also most difficult, as you have to mind two dials.

ISO= I only go above ISO 320 in low light situations where I can't use a tripod, cranking ISO allows a faster shutter spped with a usable aperture.

So basically, look at your scene, determine the light--outside sunny tripod for architecture? ISO 50-320. Inside concert no flash allowed? Go ISO 800-3200 and use shutter priority set to 1/125th. You can use this stuff as a baseline for experimentation and adjustment to changing conditions. There's no right or wrong exposure mode-- but there's things each one excels at. So try out different settings. it'll really help you better your photography.

[edit: krish-- noticed your bday was yesterday. happy day. hope it was good! -mm]

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
kiskadee said:
Now i've got a "slow" Olympus E-20P (fixed lense... :( ). I'm looking for a new DSLR. What camera/lense would be best for photographing indoor sports...

thanks...

Indoor sports under a grand? Get the d70. The buffer is incredible, the build is great, and the image quality is stunning. Buy the body only and get a 70-200 f2.8 sigma lens and you have a pretty close to professional sports shooting kit for a pretty fair price. :)

My assistant uses that set up when we do sports and the D70 is fast and accurate with focusing, and the image quality is great. If you're not going over 18x24 in print size, you'll see a better benefit from the D70's buffer at 6 mp then you will with the rebel, which is a great cam, though not as fully featured, at 8 mp.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
edesignuk said:
Nice sunset tonight :cool:

I'm sure if I actually knew what I was doing, I could have done a much better job...meh, good enough for now :)

Good shots. nice dynamic range. Good exposure. You get an A-! ;)

Here's a quick suggestion: you're a design-y guy, so you might know about the rule of thirds.

If you bisect the frame of a photo by thirds horizontally and vertically, try to place your subject at one of the intersections. That;ll immediately help your composition-- exposure wise, you nailed the shot about as well as you could with digital (dynamic range equivalent to slide film, which is narrowed than, say, print film, or what you might be used to with a normal P&S digital/film cam). You squeezed out about as much DR from your Rebel as it can give. Kudos.

but I think your horizon is a bit low.

For example:

Attachments

• sunset.crop.jpg
    sunset.crop.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 99

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
MoxieMike: You absolutely rule. I agree and bow respectfully to your vast knowledge.

I was going for the new Olympus dSLR... it was a tough choice!

I finally settled on the D70 partly for cost reasons: it is more economical to create a complete system with the Nikon.

As far as the earlier "Nikon=Macs, Canon=Dells" I was just funnin' about; the image is everything: no matter what you use. When I see a great image, I could care less what produced it.

I actually have a nostalgic fidelity to Olympus gear in honor of the thousands of images and wonderful experience I had with my two OM-4 bodies and the awesome Zuiko glass I used to own and use.

But times, they do change... and now it's time to get back into SLR shooting with a great system like the D70 being so affordable.

My experience with photography gear, (not capturing images) was at a family-owned Photography store called Goodwin Photo in San Diego. It was my college job, and I learned SO much from the owners: they were in their 70's and had always owned camera shops. My boss had been a WW II Photographer/Correspondent and was a wealth of information.

Now, with that: the Nikon-Canon rivalry began shortly after WWII ended. Japanese industry, reviving from the ashes of the War, had little time to get back on its feet, and needed products fast. The easiest way to accomplish this was by copying-cloning actually- German cameras. Canon cloned the Leica III, Nikon cloned the Contax equivalent. The thing was that these cameras almost rivaled the German ones in quality, and Photographers around the world took notice and helped nurture these two "pirating" companies into worl-wide success. The Nikon F, followed by the Nikkormat, brought SLR's to the masses and essentially made a lot of the great 50's & 60's Photojournalism possible. Those Nikons were able to survive the Hell of teh jungles in Vietnam and still keep shooting. I remember we once had a Vietnam photojournalist's daughter bring in two Nikkormat bodies. They had not beed used in a decade. I cleaned them up a tad, and they were still in great shooting shape: only the slow shutter speeds needed adjusting.

In this way, it is my opinion, Nikon has always led the way in development and production of durable, innovative, and enduring camera systems (can you put a 20 year old Canon USM lens on your Canon dSLR?) I can put a 20 year old AI Nikkor on my D70.

Gear-wise, I have always loved the Nikon feel; you just cannot compare the feel of an F3T to the era's competitor: the Canon AE1: boy what a dog of a camera; yet, many pros preferred it. Now, the EOS 1n: THAT was an SLR. It was also quite expensive and was throughly trounced by the Nikon F5, in my opinion.

From working for the Goodwins I developed quite a feel and experience with Photography gear: it did NOT make me a better photographer. We had so many guys come in, some wearing their photo vests, the stupid dorks, and they were such SNOBS. Always looking for a certain SN range in a lens because they read somewhere that they were the sharpest, or refusing to buy a Leica screwmount lens because it had a tiny air bubble on the back element, or always hauling around some huge SLR with a huge fast lens (The Contax Carl Zeiss dorks were the worst) , gear that was so pristine you knew all they did was haul it around on the weekends and take pictures of birds. Incidentally, none of those dorks ever brought us a photo they had taken... the gear does not a photographer make. My favorite customers were the local Union Tribune stalwarts. There were two guys who came in once in a while: Nikon F3, just beat to hell, dented, scratched, knobs worn, etc: but they were the quiet guys: they were also the guys responsible for some great photography in our local newspaper: now they were shooters.

So, to wrap up... I ah, yeah.

Sorry for the Nikon=Macs, Canon=Dells comment. As you can see, I am not that shallow, I was just having a little fun. Besides, I NEVER liked the feel of the Rebel, and still don't. The original Rebel's competitor, the Nikon N50, was a much more solid SLR but what killed it was that god-awful menu on top with the fan display. Anyone remember that? Yuck! I never sold that camera to anyone: I tried to sell them an N6006 instead: older, slower, but a much better camera to USE. If people balked at it, I reluctantly sold them a Rebel: I would never suggest Minolta: I had a feeling they were going down the tubes; sure enough, where are THEY now?

So anyhowl, good images E Designer in the UK. I would not choose your dSLR over mine, but at the end of the day, when you have tweaked, poured over, and finally printed your image, it is the joy, artistry and creativity that ultimately matters.

So there.

Canons still suck.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
MoxieMike Expounds Wisdom Again

E Designer in the UK:

The rule of thirds is an old stand-by. Try not to use the centor focus/exposure indicator as a bull's eye. Imagine the grid like Moxie suggested, and move your finder around... you'll be surprised at what can happen!

Also, get creative with your slow-sync flash: try different ambient exposure combinations and switch between front and rear sycn. It works great indoors, at close range with wide angle shots... Move your camera as you shoot, and "drag" the ambient light as your flash exposes your subject. It takes a little practice. I'll try to find an example...

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Balin64 said:
MoxieMike: You absolutely rule. I agree and bow respectfully to your vast knowledge.

Canons still suck.

Thanks ballin. I appreciate it. It's funny because recently, i was asked to quote a wedding. I asked the people what size they thought they'd want printing to go up to. They said they wouldn't print above 11x14.

Ok. So I quote it, and they asked what's my main camera. Nikon D2h I say. Well, apparantly, some jackarse (who i know, and who's work SUCKS. He's not even trained in the arts--and NEVER shot film) quoted the job as well. He has an 11mp Canon 1ds. Well, the couple asked me to move my price down since I had less MP.

I also **** myself right there, but I maintained my composure. I'll just let them cry about it when they have a bunch of HUGE 11mp files that are out of focus. :)

They should have asked if I had a D2x... ;)

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
I found One

Here's an example. I have better ones, but I am too comfy on the 'PBook and that's what I have on hand. What do you think? :)

Attachments

• Slow.jpg
    Slow.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 99

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Moxiemike said:

Yes, then you could've linked 'em! :D Thanks for the input on mode selection, and also for the kind b-day wishes. This camera and the 50mm f/1.4 which is on order were my presents to myself. ;)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
BTW, Mike, Balin or anyone else, one more question...this seems to be an issue I have more if I use extreme wide-angle settings and try for a distorted perspective, like looking up along the corner vertex of a building...I found that many of my shots like that were surprisingly crooked. What I had been doing is trying to line up the main vertical and/or horizontal elements with the metering/focusing indicator boxes, since they have points and form a crosshair in the picture frame. Is there a better method? I guess I can take a photo in a mirror with my camera, and make sure it doesn't have an intrinsically skewed sensor, but I'm assuming that this is something much simpler than that. :rolleyes:

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Moxiemike said:
Ok. So I quote it, and they asked what's my main camera. Nikon D2h I say. Well, apparantly, some jackarse (who i know, and who's work SUCKS. He's not even trained in the arts--and NEVER shot film) quoted the job as well. He has an 11mp Canon 1ds. Well, the couple asked me to move my price down since I had less MP.

I also **** myself right there, but I maintained my composure. I'll just let them cry about it when they have a bunch of HUGE 11mp files that are out of focus. :)

Man. I remember stuff like that from my shooting days. It also did not help I was so green! Especially in a competitive market like San Diego. Jeez. Some old phat geezer in a studio upstairs was always usurping jobs I was better suited for only becasue he had been around longer... and because he was a big fat ass-kisser.

Off topic: the photo I uploaded is a disgrace. I didn't notice it was from an "originals" folder and it has all these card artifacts on it. I shot that on an Olympus E-20 I no longer own. It made me want a "real" SLR so damn bad! Now I have one. :)

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Mohan

About the perspective:

I have not gone back on this thread, but my first thought is: do you use a rangefinder? I seem to recall you have an SLR, correct?

Although SLR's are true TTL (through the lens) rangefinders are not. However, I assume you knew that, sorry.

When I take similar shots, I often line up the base of the corner of the building with the bottom left/right corner in my viewfinder. This seems to work fine. At least with the playing around with the D70 I have done the last two weeks, it seems to work fine...

Does that make sense?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Balin64 said:
When I take similar shots, I often line up the base of the corner of the building with the bottom left/right corner in my viewfinder. This seems to work fine. At least with the playing around with the D70 I have done the last two weeks, it seems to work fine...

Thanks! :) I am using the standard viewfinder on the DRebel (so don't hold that against me! :D). I did also take several shots using the bottom of the viewfinder to align with a horizontal element, and that did work a lot better. But when I tried to use the markings on the screen as alignments vertically, it didn't work as well. I think maybe the problem was that I was aligned in a roll and pitch sense as I wanted to be, but not in the yaw sense. I don't know the camera-ese way to say that. I mean that I was not standing with my body square to the building.

To be honest, I am very new at wide-angle photos -- I have never really owned anything that did them before, and I just wanted to learn a little bit about them. Since the perspective is so distorted, it seems to be very important to be oriented and positioned in three dimensions exactly right, and I am still picking up the art of it.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
Moxie, thanks for replying - i would love to reply right now but your post is just to long to reply to for someone that hasnt slept in nearly 3 days :O

i will reply to it because i have issues with some things you say (infinitely better flash system, better just about - infinitely is by far over exaggerated, and the 1ds MKII v the d2x - well)

thanks for takin the time out to put your points of view across but ZZZzzzzzzzzz

night night

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
kiskadee said:

thanks...

can believe moxie recommended the d70 for this, i would say a 20D would suit you really well, mainly because you get low noise images at iso1600 (totally usable) giving you a ton of flexibility in low light situations, i would be worried about going over 400 on the D70 (not being biased, just i wouldn't feel i could get reasonable images) the 20d also shoots 5frames per second, the d70 (no matter how much a nikonian will tell you) doesn't stand up to the 20D

moxie made a good call on the sigma though - i almost got it myself but i managed to get a great price on a brand new L series lens which is fantastic sharpness and optical quality (its not just about sharpness, it about colour and contrast also) but the sigma at 2.8 is a good lens

the 20D+70-200 2.8+1.4x extender will do you a treat

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.