Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
AL-FAMOUS said:
can believe moxie recommended the d70 for this, i would say a 20D would suit you really well, mainly because you get low noise images at iso1600 (totally usable) giving you a ton of flexibility in low light situations, i would be worried about going over 400 on the D70 (not being biased, just i wouldn't feel i could get reasonable images) the 20d also shoots 5frames per second, the d70 (no matter how much a nikonian will tell you) doesn't stand up to the 20D

moxie made a good call on the sigma though - i almost got it myself but i managed to get a great price on a brand new L series lens which is fantastic sharpness and optical quality (its not just about sharpness, it about colour and contrast also) but the sigma at 2.8 is a good lens

the 20D+70-200 2.8+1.4x extender will do you a treat

$999 for D70 kit + $699 for Sigma is considerable less than the 20d + kit lens, which isn't as nice as the D70 kit lens. Then they'll have 28-300 equiv covered versus 28-80 on the Canon side.

The canon 20d also doesn't shoot 5fps, but is rather ADVERTISED as 5fps. Alot of people's independant tests show it's 4.5fps for the first burst, and slows down until buffer is filled. D70 shoots much more consistently at 3fps. :)

In my mind, fps is one thing, having to stop and take out the film is another. Waiting for the buffer to clear is the digital equivalent.

The d70, at its price, is a much better starter sports cam for someone. And let's be honest here. The d70 isn't bad at ISO 200-800. It's useable at 1600. You're obviously programmed by canon to believe that noise is such a huge factor. That said, a D70 is gonna be less noisey that it's film equivalents, and even much more so than any other p&s digicam.

Maybe at 1600 & 3200 the canon wins. But at the price point, they don't have enough for the sigma lens. So they're stuck without a good telephoto. They have to crop, and there goes any resolution benefit from the 20d.

If you're serious about recommending the sigma, don't bust their budget on a body! :)

And let's lastly make this clear: a D70 with nikon's kit lens should run circles around a 20d with it's kits lens. Apples to Apples (or as close as possible) and we can see that EVEN at $999 the D70's image is gonna be rendered much better because the glass is better.

The measurebators (low noise ISO and high mp people) like to keep bringing up noise issues and whatnot. Getting good glass can cut 20-30% of the noise from a shot. I used a crappy lens on my d2h for an ISO 1600 shot. It sucked. I swapped out that lens and put on my 35mm prime, which is a BRILLIANT lens, and took a similar shot and the results were HUGE. Glass is almost everything in photography. And much more crucial to mp and ISO. Good glass begets good images.

Put a 24-70L on your 20d, and we'll talk. But I could then just go and put a 17-55 on a D70. And even then.... the D70 comes out cheaper.

You'll replace your digicam in a year or two. You'll keep that 70-200 Sigma much much longer. Get the d70, save some cash on your body purchase for a good tele lens, and you'll be much happier and get much more bang for the buck.

And don't worry about ISO noise on the D70. If you take some time and learn how things work on it, you'll get similar results to the Canon. And remember this: noise in prints doesn't really start to show until you're at big enlargements. If you're going for 24x36... maybe a 20d. If you're gonna be printing at 8x10 or smaller, do yourself a favor and invest more $$ in good lenses.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
Moxiemike said:
$999 for D70 kit + $699 for Sigma is considerable less than the 20d + kit lens, which isn't as nice as the D70 kit lens. Then they'll have 28-300 equiv covered versus 28-80 on the Canon side.

who in there right mind buys a camera like 20D with a kit lens, kit lenses are crap - simple, no photographer worth there salt goes and buys a body with a kit lens. trying to gain brownie points buy comparing kit lenses is ridiculous

the 20D is 1,259.95usd from B&H, so the 1700 usd you quote is hardly "considerable less" is it? infact its more

he didnt say he has to have a cheap camera body did he?

The canon 20d also doesn't shoot 5fps, but is rather ADVERTISED as 5fps. Alot of people's independant tests show it's 4.5fps for the first burst, and slows down until buffer is filled. D70 shoots much more consistently at 3fps.
the canon shoots a 5fps, simple. unscientific independent test one individual camera dont count - the 20D is 2fps faster then the D70

In my mind, fps is one thing, having to stop and take out the film is another. Waiting for the buffer to clear is the digital equivalent.
lol, are you serious? this is obviously a bad point for the nikon then, seeing as its buffer is TWICE as big. what is your point here?

The d70, at its price, is a much better starter sports cam for someone.

netter than what, the 20D? why? because its slower, more noisy, lower iso range et al

And let's be honest here. The d70 isn't bad at ISO 200-800. It's useable at 1600. You're obviously programmed by canon to believe that noise is such a huge factor. That said, a D70 is gonna be less noisey that it's film equivalents, and even much more so than any other p&s digicam.

resorting to comparing the d70 to a point and shoot camera and saying its much better really isnt doing much good for the nikon fight, we are not comparing the d70 against point and shoot or film cameras, we are comparing digital SLR's

Maybe at 1600 & 3200 the canon wins.

this really shows how much of a fanboy of nikon you are, maybe whats mabe about it, canon are far far ahead in the noise reduction/iso stakes. its a fact throughout the range

But at the price point, they don't have enough for the sigma lens. So they're stuck without a good telephoto. They have to crop, and there goes any resolution benefit from the 20d.

what? so your assuming that the original poster is going to be totally buggered because (the far better) 20d is 200 bucks more? there will be no cropping, the resolution is better, the cmos sensor is better, the iso range is better, the noise reduction is better. so you basing the nikon d70 to be a better camera because this fictional "they" only have exactly enough to buy the nikon and sigma, hmmm good point mike :rolleyes:

If you're serious about recommending the sigma, don't bust their budget on a body!
again, whats all this budget stuff? it 200 bucks in a $2k purchase

And let's lastly make this clear: a D70 with nikon's kit lens should run circles around a 20d with it's kits lens

"ive got this really **** lens that nobody wants and its better than your really crap lens that nobody wants", every photographer (including yourself) knows that you should never base your purchase on a damn kit lens, why would you try to make someone believe a camera is better because of a kit lens? the kit lens makes the camera worse, the only way you can judge is by having the same lens on the different cameras (something the guys at sigma do nicely for us)

Apples to Apples (or as close as possible) and we can see that EVEN at $999 the D70's image is gonna be rendered much better because the glass is better.
agaqin your basing this on shooting with a kit lens (which he doesnt want he wants a tele zoom for indoor sport) its like saying, the nikon+dirty lens thats full of water are so rubbish compared to the canon with its L glass

The measurebators (low noise ISO and high mp people) like to keep bringing up noise issues and whatnot. Getting good glass can cut 20-30% of the noise from a shot. I used a crappy lens on my d2h for an ISO 1600 shot. It sucked. I swapped out that lens and put on my 35mm prime, which is a BRILLIANT lens, and took a similar shot and the results were HUGE. Glass is almost everything in photography. And much more crucial to mp and ISO. Good glass begets good images.

yep, glass is everything, another reason to go with canon and the L series

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
On a side note, NoiseNinja works wonders on removing noise. Then everyone can play nice at 1600. Though I try to keep mine on my 300D at 400 or lower on things I want to actually use. (non scientific things)

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
noise programs can only take it so far, and takes the images an equal distance

noise is a pain in the arse, as it out of focus and dirty sensors, all fall into the same degrading of images to me

for the record i like nikons :) i do, its just that canon is winning the race at the moment, i will use a nikon when they win the race, just the same as ill use windows when thats becomes better (yeah right!)

MacManDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2003
Moxiemike said:
The canon 20d also doesn't shoot 5fps, but is rather ADVERTISED as 5fps. Alot of people's independant tests show it's 4.5fps for the first burst, and slows down until buffer is filled. D70 shoots much more consistently at 3fps. :)
...(snip)
The d70, at its price, is a much better starter sports cam for someone. And let's be honest here. The d70 isn't bad at ISO 200-800. It's useable at 1600. You're obviously programmed by canon to believe that noise is such a huge factor. That said, a D70 is gonna be less noisey that it's film equivalents, and even much more so than any other p&s digicam.
(snip)

Moxie, I can't help but comment - as a Canon user I disagree with many of your points, but I find no real point in trying to refute them and subsequently "bash" Nikon from my own perspective. I dread that this thread, originally based on e's experience with his new cam is quickly turning into a Canon/Nikon debate that will never end.
I respect your opinions and agree with some of your anti-Canon points (auto flash metering is nearly useless), but I have a hard time getting through all of your posts. For example, in this quoted post, you reference the 20D's measured value of 4.5fps instead of a true 5 (compared to the D70's "true" 3fps), then later go on to bash 'measurebators' for comparing the high ISOs of one camera vs another.
My first dSLR was an old 35mm film Konica with no automatic features whatsoever. It was made of solid steel and the ergonomics (with its massive 28-100 f/2.8 lens) literally made taking photographs painful. When I first started modernizing about a year ago by taking a look at new dSLRs I was stuck between the 300d and the d70. I heard there was a rumored 10d successor (now known as the 20d) so I waited for months for it to materialize. In the end, after trying both systems briefly, I realized I could learn either equally well and I should get the right tool for the job. This ended up being the 20d because I knew I would need a good camera for very low light (I dislike flash, personally, and don't have the time or inclination to set up a studio-like flash arrangement) and responsive for being able to capture the moments of my fast-moving 7 and 9 year old siblings. While I easily could have chosen the d70, the 20d seemed like a better choice for its better ISO performance. Granted, the amount of gain may be marginal, but it is still an improvement. Also, Canon's relatively better (cheaper?) offerings in the telephoto range was important to me. The solution was simple: buy the 20d.
Anyway, the Konica film camera was returned to my mom (who inherited it from my grandparents) after I purchased the 20d, and I'll tell you, it was quite a difference. I think you'll find that 'growing up' on a Canon makes the Nikon system's ergnomics prohibitively confusing. I picked up a d70 and gave it an honest shot, but it felt so foreign and confusing that I was glad to return to my 20D. I can change settings on my Canon without removing my eye from the viewfinder, so its certainly not impossible.

Anyway, my point is that all of the cameras mentioned on this thread are excellent choices. IMHO, the d70 is an excellent choice for entry-level photographers who want to get into a dSLR system but don't want to spend a fortune on good glass. Its excellent kit glass is a testament to this. The xt 350d is Canon's answer, and while I find it flimsier than the d70 and includes less-stellar glass, it may be better for those who want a smaller SLR with very similar performance. The 20d is often compared to the d70, which is fine - but it is at a different price point and with different set of features, I'm not quite sure it compares to a modern Nikon camera, but I could be wrong. The 20d might be a good choice for a person who wants to spend some extra cash on good long lenses for excellent entry-level sporting (indoor and out) photographs. Moving up, the gap closes between the d2x and 1dii & 1dsii - all three are excellent cameras with their own uses and advantages. You can, of course, do photojournalistic stuff with Canons, or sports stuff with Nikons, even if they're not designed for it - but it may be more difficult or more expensive to do so.
In the end, an excellent photographer can be given any of these cameras and, given enough time, set up shots of caliber well beyond many of us on this thread can produce. I'm nowhere near this quality but I try.. A camera is simply a tool - find the one that works for you.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I'll add in some macro shots I took recently with my first generation dreb. They were all shot with my canon ef 28-105mm 3.5-4.5 in reverse mount position (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/120781/)

crw1.jpg

crw2.jpg

crw4.jpg

crw5.jpg

crw6.jpg

crw7.jpg

Also, I wouldn't argue too much about anything (like canon vs. nikon) as you will get aggravated, and the only thing the mods will do is shut down the thread when other people don't stop their insults.

EDIT: Oh and Bees are hella hard to catch flitting from flower to flower in manual focus mode. :'(

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
mkrishnan said:
That last one is really gorgeous! What kind of flower is that?
I have noooo idea. Reminds me of this purple desert stickler plant I had back in colorado. But this is just some weird flower.

As a note, these were just iphoto versions of my RAW images, optimized a little. But my reverse mount introduces a pretty severe red/yellow chromatic aberration which is pretty easily cleared using Adobe RAW import with a profile I have made. These are not "the best they could get", but then again, I told you about bees.

You gotta remember, those top two flowers are probably not more than .5-1cm in diameter.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
mkrishnan said:
That last one is really gorgeous! What kind of flower is that?

Speaking of odd flowers, how do you like this hanging one? Little guys were blowing around which doesn't help me hand holding in relatively low light any.

crw8.jpg

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
jared_kipe said:
Speaking of odd flowers, how do you like this hanging one? Little guys were blowing around which doesn't help me hand holding in relatively low light any.

These I've seen before. They are very pretty though. I'm a big fan of any flowers in the violet/purple/lavendar continuum. ;) The wind thing is quite an issue, though! :eek:

BTW, I moved all of mine to another thread so as not to get in the way of the canon/nikon fight (or, ahem, the reverse-mount of that!? :D)...I did not buy this camera intending to do macros or flower pictures, but it is actually rather fun, which makes me think that perhaps I should think more seriously about a macro lens... I think I am technically up to re-enacting your bit of making a macro out of a zoom lens, but I think I would prefer not to go that route.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
jared_kipe said:
Speaking of odd flowers, how do you like this hanging one?

Hey Jared,
That there would be a Fucshia. A fantastic flowering shrub for a semi-shaded position in a rich, moist, soil. They can be a little sensitive to frost though :(. They come from a huge family with some wonderful flower shapes. If you do a search you'll probably find that there is an annual Fucshia show in your area :cool:.
Nice photo :)! Can't wait to get my 300D - saving up now!

.Andy :)

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
edesignuk said:
So nice to see the Nikon vs Canon battles have flared up again :rolleyes:

Hey, as long as people feel the need to make rash generalizations I feel the need to assert my knowledge of both platforms. If people aren't thick skinned enough to realize that their platform isn't perfect, and they wanna cry when I make healthy recommendations, then so be it.

I don't mind. I've got my gear (d100, d2h, 10d) and I enjoy all of it equally. I just hate the rash "canons suck or nikons suck" bull-crap.

you're happy with your cam, and i'm willing to give you any advice or info you want. Dudes that can't take criticism of their system...well, no one wants to know when their expensive gear has drawbacks. They think of this stuff as an investment. I do too. The difference is I want the next generation to have improvments, so I research the faults of all.

Rash generalizations such as "x brand sucks" or "beat the pants off x brand" are completely ridiculous. And that mostly comes from a very few members here. So i'll gladly spank 'em. ;)

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
Moxiemike said:
And that mostly comes from a very few members here. So i'll gladly spank 'em. ;)

by saying things about buffers when the camera your recomending is half the size?

ohhh spanked ;)

i like nikons (as i have said) but i get annoyed when you became a fanboy and started saying how much better a d70 was than a 20D, which is simply untrue and bad advice for less knowledgeable people/purchasers on this board. if your comparing the 300d vs the d70, get the d70 - its a much better camera, however if you want the best camera (in a non profession 1 series camera) then the 20D is the best option (which i proved in the previous answer to your post, that you conveniently didnt reply to as it makes your point invalid) im more interested in which camera is the best than which brand is your best,

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
AL-FAMOUS said:
by saying things about buffers when the camera your recomending is half the size?

ohhh spanked ;)

i like nikons (as i have said) but i get annoyed when you became a fanboy and started saying how much better a d70 was than a 20D, which is simply untrue and bad advice for less knowledgeable people/purchasers on this board. if your comparing the 300d vs the d70, get the d70 - its a much better camera, however if you want the best camera (in a non profession 1 series camera) then the 20D is the best option (which i proved in the previous answer to your post, that you conveniently didnt reply to as it makes your point invalid) im more interested in which camera is the best than which brand is your best,

Nah. You've only proven that you think the d70 feels like a toy. See you need to prove this, prove that, prove canon, i don't care what you have to prove.

Most people out here these days are budget concious. in my reply to the guy's post, I was saying that for the price of a D70 + Sigma, you get a more flexible and usable entry level system. ISO noise isn't a big concern, and fps isn't that big of a difference, neither is buffer, and with the 20d's firmware and focusing issues, the D70 will be a better functioning camera giving good value for the money, overall similar performance AND they'll have an infinitely better lens system, which will give the d70 even more of an edge.

You can talk **** all you want about kit lenses, but the lens that comes with the d70 is hardly a piece of junk like those kits lenses that come with the rebels and 20d's. the image quality i've seen from that lens is stunning, and really adds and compliments to the D70. The images I see coming from Canon's kit lenses is vastly inferior. The rebel/20d doesn't impress me until you put some L series glass on it.

So let's do it this way:

20d, no lens = $1499
Sigma 70-200 = $699
Cano 24-85 = $350
Total = $2548

D70 with kit = $999
Sigma 70-200 = $699
Total = $1799

To get a 20d with a comparable lens to the Nikkor 18-70, (which you really can't get with the Canon, if only because their kit lenses aren't very good.) you'll need to go the route of the 24-85, get the 20d with no lens and spend $2600 total.

Most people who want pics of their kids playing sports aren't gonna spend that kind of money. So as far as bang for the buck? The d70 wins hands down. You could get a rebel/rebel xt, but you're dealing with a flimsier body with less control than the D70, which means consumer is more likely to replace it sooner, or break it faster. I know MANY stories of 70-200 lenses at f2.8 (size=big) pulling the lens mount off the original rebel.

So what we've learned here is Nikon's D70 is HARDLY a toy. It's a lean, mean middle of the road machine, offering performance that is very close to Canon's mid-level flagship (20d) offering only a marginally smaller amount of pixels if that matters to you, and allowing you to get a better wide-normal zoom and a great tele zoom to cover a range from ~28mm - ~300mm. Go with the rebel, you can do something similar lens wise, but you lose a lot of functionality and don't really gain much in pixels. Plus your 17-55 kit lens is vastly slower and inferior to the nikkor. The d70 can compete with either and come out as a better value if only because the lens, for 99.9% of consumer purposes, is a quantum leap in performance over what Canon offers in the same range. If you get the equivalent 20d system, you're out an extra $750 which could be used to purchase a flash, extra CF or even an iPod photo and camera connector to download your shots to.

And if we take my original post in this thread into account, we can see that we're not sacrificing so much in image quality in comparison to the dollars saved.

Same with the D2x versus the 1ds mk II and the soon to be D50 with the original rebel and new rebel. It's an even more pronounced price-performance issue with the D2x versuses the 1ds mk II, but I won't go into that here. There you'll REALLY see nikon innovating over canon. In spades. The D2x as a high-resolution flagship makes me shudder at those spending $8k on the 1ds MK II, whereas the D2x functions more like a D2x AND a D2h all in one. And even after spending $5k on the D2x, you have enough to get a D2h/hs as a compliment and STILL Spend about the same as if you bought ONE 1ds MK II.

There's tons of reasons to choose nikon or canon. And when it all boils down to it, I see a lot more advantages to buying into the Nikon system as it delivers the features many of us want at more affordable price point. (only more because regardless of brand, $5000/$8000 is TOO MUCH for ANY SLR)

Factor in image quality being a toss up between the two, and I'm hedging my bets on nikon. And remember, i'm more vested in Nikon, and I have reasons for saying this, but Al does too, as he's vested in Canon. Seems to be a lot more Canon/Nikon stuff since the D2x hit the shelves and people started seeing how killer of a camera it is...but I'll stop short of saying what I want to say here. ;)

Remember...canon has REALLY only been the "leader" for about a year and a half here. The 1ds was the one that really began to distance them from the pack, but it seems the D2x is a more than worthy competitor and in many cases beats the 1ds/1ds mk II... and i'm sure you remember when Canon had the IMPRESSIVE d30 competing against the D1 which walked all over it, don't ya?

In the end, pick either and you'll be happy. If you want to know, I'll gladly point out differences between the systems, recommend a nikon (as their value in the consumer line is much better, IMHO), and let you go on your way.

I'll be even more happy to talk about exposure, lighting, low-light, time lapse, portraiture, product shooting, et. al. and gladly showcase my work for anyone who wishes to gain some inspiration or for anyone to use a springboard for ideas, questions, etc., or whatever.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
once again moxie i could take your post apart (in the same way i did, and you still havent responded to the points i made, in my previous post)

the 20d is gettable 1250 btw, not 100 like you claim.

anyway, i have had enough of your blatantly wrong posts. saying things like "its better bang for the buck" doesnt make it a better camera, its still a worse but cheaper camera

you go on about d1x and the 1dsII like its some huge nikon v canon debate, this wasnt it was a d70 vv 20D debate

ive no problem with showcasing works to show the improvements of the 20D with L Glass over the 20d With the BEST nikon lens in that range if thats what you want

the real test would be for you to take a D70 and i take a 20D and we stand side by side at the same sporting event with the same lens and see how gets more consistent results, cant happen though, i dont live in yankeeland and my lens isnt long enough to reach (without the extender anyway :) )

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Moxiemike said:
To get a 20d with a comparable lens to the Nikkor 18-70, (which you really can't get with the Canon, if only because their kit lenses aren't very good.) you'll need to go the route of the 24-85, get the 20d with no lens and spend $2600 total.

Moxie, first there are two kit lenses for the 20D. The 18-55 and the 17-85IS. The 18-55 may not be the best built lens, but many would be hard pressed to see a quality difference.

The 17-85IS is maybe an even better kit lens then the Nikon, according to some. And you get VR (image stabilization) to boot.

That being said, price should not be the only deciding factor. For some a key factor, but should not be the only one.

For anyone buying a DSLR, I recommend going to your local shop. Yes, I work for one of the local shops. But we do a good job of showing the different models and explaining the differences and letting the customer decide for themselves. Some will chose Nikon (in particular the D70 is a great value), some will go Canon, and even some will go Olympus (as to value of the E-300 two lens kit makes Nikon and Canon look like jokes).

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
I avoided replying to this thread until I had the time to actually get out and pick up the cameras being debated.

I went out to CL!CK tonight and told the guy I was interested in seeing a Nikon D70, a Canon Digital Rebel and a 20D.

He promptly pulled out a Nikon D70, (2) Canon Digital Rebels and a Olympus Camera.

First sentence out of his mouth... "I can't understand why anyone would want to buy a 20D, the rebel matches in quality of images, it has the same megapixels... the 20D just costs more."

I explained that I'd heard really good things about the 20D and wanted to see one, he said they didn't have any in stock so I started playing with the cameras in front of me.

Wrapping my hand around the rebel, it was small.. it was lite... it didn't quite fit. The more I played with it the more I realized, it was just to small for my big hands... I didn't really care for the idea of the Rebel anyways.

The Nikon I dug. Good size and feel.

The Olympus felt lite also, didn't play with it much. I'm kinda set on either a Nikon or a Canon... he said it was a great value.. I dunno.

Anyways, he pressed me on the Nikon kit sale they have going.. I pressed on with body only and lens recommendations. He spouted on about what lenses he'd recommend and not knowing one from the other I asked him to write it down:

Canon 20-35 F_F $449.99
Pro 28-105 $179.95

The D70 kit comes with the 18-70, a $100 print card and a free Epson R200 for $1099. Impressions?

How long until the D70s comes out and is that going to effect the price of the D70 in a "hold off" kinda way? Sorry to turn this into a cr2sh buys a camera thread... but it falls in line with what you guys are discussing. I will be holding off until I get to see this 20D.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
First sentence out of his mouth... "I can't understand why anyone would want to buy a 20D, the rebel matches in quality of images, it has the same megapixels... the 20D just costs more."

Wrong, wrong.

I've had both the new Rebel (as a spare body) and I own a 20D. The Rebel always required copious amounts of noise Ninja and Intellisharpen. I never, ever have to touch a 20D image with Noise Ninja, even at 1600.

The two CMOS sensors in the 20D and the 350D are not the same.

Your salesman is a misinformed Nikon nut.

I'm sure he didn't mention the 20D blows the 350D out of the water in speed, or the fact that it is built around a magnesium alloy (not plastic) frame or that the controls are far more pro-user friendly for quick action, either.

Mind you, the 350D is a nice camera, but isn't a 20D.

Nikon versus Canon is like Mac versus PC's...we could talk about this forever. :rolleyes:

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Oh, and just go load up a D70 and a 20D with CF cards and hold down the shutter and see which one stops first, and which one is faster. :rolleyes:

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
iGary said:
Nikon versus Canon is like Mac versus PC's...we could talk about this forever. :rolleyes:

I'm not insisting that we talk about it forever... just long enough that I feel confident in this $1500 purchase. So humor me please and in the future I'll handle questions regarding this decision. :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
cr2sh said:
How long until the D70s comes out and is that going to effect the price of the D70 in a "hold off" kinda way? Sorry to turn this into a cr2sh buys a camera thread... but it falls in line with what you guys are discussing. I will be holding off until I get to see this D20.

One small piece of input is that, since the Rebel XT came out, the volume of used Rebels (which already had a big market because of upgrades to the 10D/20D series) really exploded. It was very easy to find one. So I suspect that the D70s might have the same impact on the D70?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.