Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
I thought it would be cool to get ideas from other users on how to leverage the power of shortcuts. Sometimes I have trouble thinking creatively and would love to hear ideas from others.

I’ll start with one I’m creating:

“Hey Siri - We’re all leaving now” (used when all the family is heading out for the day/night/weekend)
- turns off all living room and upstairs lights
- turns on couch lights (so it looks like someone is home)
- set all thermostats to “away mode”

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I thought it would be cool to get ideas from other users on how to leverage the power of shortcuts. Sometimes I have trouble thinking creatively and would love to hear ideas from others.

I’ll start with one I’m creating:

“Hey Siri - We’re all leaving now” (used when all the family is heading out for the day/night/weekend)
- turns off all living room and upstairs lights
- turns on couch lights (so it looks like someone is home)
- set all thermostats to “away mode”
I was just thinking about creating this thread. Great job.

You can actually post your Shortcuts here using the icloud links. Doing that is probably more useful than just what you're doing.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
It's great. I've also struggled to go through my massive amount of playlists in the morning. Now I have them all in a widget at the top of my widget screen with my top 4 shown when showing "Less" on the widget. And I can then hit "Show More" to show them all. Might be by far my favorite new feature in a long time!

Reactions: Ladyc0524

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
I just created one to where there’s a list that pops up. And it either lets me text my fiancé, call her, or sends her a message with my eta home.. would share but her number is attached.. it’s pretty simple to make.

I like the set Wi-Fi off above..

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I would upload my first shortcut. But unfortunately it was a spamming shortcut lol.. where it messages my friend 1000x with a click of a button lol
I think you're just kidding. I made one like this several weeks ago when they first implemented the ability to send texts without confirmation, but then deleted it because it'll be Shortcuts like that that get this feature turned off.

Use responsibly!!!

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
Does anyone know if there is a way to program the shortcuts app to read the news? I know I can ask Siri to "read me news from NPR" etc, but want to have this programmed into a step of my workflow.

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Pay someone using Apple Pay or other payment app.. https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/9136f24f882e4ced88599489bef71e60

Just edit the payment app “paytm” to your choice of app
[doublepost=1537211071][/doublepost]And I’m sure this one’s gonna bring a lot of smiles

Set wifi off (thank you apple)
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/13bf35026db846118382b96b96815215
Can you give me a use case for your WiFi shortcut? Couldn’t Siri turn it off before shortcuts? Or is it for use in the widget or something? Isn’t control center easier?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Love the idea of this thread. Keep it coming.

FWIW you can already ask siri to turn the wifi off without a shortcut
That's true for almost all the system actions. The beauty of Shortcuts is being able to do it at the same time as other actions. Say, you want to turn off wifi at work because your phone constantly connects to another company's hotspot, etc. and start up your favorite work playlist. You can create a shortcut to do both simultaneously. Your imagination is the only limiting factor.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

dsr2

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013
Here are mine:

Every week I text my kids just too see how things are going. I set up the texts to each child with their phone number and my message: “Hi. What’s up? Hope all is well”. When I press an icon or say “text my kids”, it will send all the texts simultaneously.

I have set up a list of reminders for certain dishes that I make that require multiple steps: when to cut the ingredients, preheat oven, cook certain parts, etc which I call Pasta Run. When I tell Siri Pasta Run, it puts in all the reminders simultaneously.

I also have a shortcut that will show my local weather from whatever I am on my phone.

I’m retired and don’t have any commuting, but if I did, I’m sure I’d be creating some for maps and texts to family members.

Sartoria

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2015
Seoul, South Korea
The thing I was hoping for, was to be able to have a goodnight shortcut; where I could say “hey Siri good night” after which my lights would go out and Siri would ask me what time I’d like to set an alarm for. (Ideally it would also turn the lights on when the alarm goes off the next morning, but I think that is too much to ask for)
I have not been able to get any of this to work though, I’m only able to use pre-set alarms times, but I have to wake up at different times every day so that wouldn’t work.
Does anyone know if this can be done?

Reactions: TruthWatcher412

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
What’s annoying is when shortcuts i create, like “create a new to do” to add a to do in things app, it works on my phone or iPad- but if I say it to my HomePod, it creates a new reminder in the reminder app :( I’ve yet to find a way to say it so that it will actually add a to do in things, not In reminder.
It works sometimes if I specifically mention things, which is already amazing, given that it makes HomePod so much more capable! But I wish I could just use a shorter command.

Reactions: iFanaddic

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
The thing I was hoping for, was to be able to have a goodnight shortcut; where I could say “hey Siri good night” after which my lights would go out and Siri would ask me what time I’d like to set an alarm for. (Ideally it would also turn the lights on when the alarm goes off the next morning, but I think that is too much to ask for)
I have not been able to get any of this to work though, I’m only able to use pre-set alarms times, but I have to wake up at different times every day so that wouldn’t work.
Does anyone know if this can be done?
Right now, the only way to use alarms is to set one and then go grab the Siri Shortcut (from Settings>Siri and Search) and insert it into your Shortcut. You can do the lights thing now using the HomeKit Scene action. Unfortunately, you cannot set an alarm using dictation (yet) and variable alarm times would only be possible by creating different Shortcuts for each different day/time.

Reactions: Sartoria

Sartoria

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2015
Seoul, South Korea
Right now, the only way to use alarms is to set one and then go grab the Siri Shortcut (from Settings>Siri and Search) and insert it into your Shortcut. You can do the lights thing now using the HomeKit Scene action. Unfortunately, you cannot set an alarm using dictation (yet) and variable alarm times would only be possible by creating different Shortcuts for each different day/time.

That’s a pity, I hope they will add an option for variable alarm times through shortcuts eventually then. Thanks for the answer though!

Regardless, I look forward to seeing what other people come up with in this thread!

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
That’s a pity, I hope they will add an option for variable alarm times through shortcuts eventually then. Thanks for the answer though!

Regardless, I look forward to seeing what other people come up with in this thread!
My guess is Shortcuts 3.0 may feature variable voice input.

Reactions: mcrawley

slagathor001

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
Looking forward to the iCloud shortcut links being posted here!

I will contribute some tonight, or this week. I haven't created any shortcuts yet, but am so excited at the possibilities

Reactions: besnfrd

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Looking forward to the iCloud shortcut links being posted here!

I will contribute some tonight, or this week. I haven't created any shortcuts yet, but am so excited at the possibilities
For some reason, my links are not working. They have in the past, so perhaps its because its "iOS 12 Download Day" or some other reason.

In other news, the iWork apps (Pages, Numbers and Keynote) have been updated with Siri Shortcuts capabilities.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Right now, the only way to use alarms is to set one and then go grab the Siri Shortcut (from Settings>Siri and Search) and insert it into your Shortcut.
Siri Suggestions appear directly in the Shortcuts app, no need to go to Settings.
Edit: I should say you can also do it from the app; going to Settings is still one quick way to create a simple alarm shortcut

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
I think you're just kidding. I made one like this several weeks ago when they first implemented the ability to send texts without confirmation, but then deleted it because it'll be Shortcuts like that that get this feature turned off.

Use responsibly!!!

I’m not kidding at all... that’s why I’m not sharing it lol

Reactions: DeepIn2U

delo

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2010
Have anyone had any lock in creating a pandora music shortcut. When I try it HomePod tells me can’t play music from pandora. Need help please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.