Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Currently trying to get a contacts phone numbers and have it distinguish which is Mobile and which is home. I can get it to retrieve the contacts numbers but can’t find how to get just the mobile without me having to choose it specifically hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Not sure it’s possible yet. I was trying that for a Shortcut that sends a contact a text. I think it always picks the first phone number.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
Not sure it’s possible yet. I was trying that for a Shortcut that sends a contact a text. I think it always picks the first phone number.

I’m trying every possible combo of shortcuts and no dice....maybe one day. Wanted to be able to Venmo someone without having to type a name, number or, amount.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Move Simone's mobile # to the top of the list.

Trivia moment! I once participated in a curling match on the lane(?) next to your namesake!

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
Move Simone's mobile # to the top of the list.

Trivia moment! I once participated in a curling match on the lane(?) next to your namesake!

I thought of this! Most of my contacts are set up in this way but it irks me that it’s not a complete solution. Ah really! Very interesting, he’s a distant relation of mine. Always an interesting conversation when people hear the name lol

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
Can you give me a use case for your WiFi shortcut? Couldn’t Siri turn it off before shortcuts? Or is it for use in the widget or something? Isn’t control center easier?
It’s used in widgets. Siri is perfect but since my wifi netwrork and my mobile netwrork Connectivity is weak, Siri takes time to process. So now I can turn off wifi with the widget instead of just disable new connections
[doublepost=1537239096][/doublepost]
I just created one to where there’s a list that pops up. And it either lets me text my fiancé, call her, or sends her a message with my eta home.. would share but her number is attached.. it’s pretty simple to make.

I like the set Wi-Fi off above..
If you share a link here, the contact info of your wife will not be shared
[doublepost=1537239197][/doublepost]
My "going home" shortcut is almost complete. I'd just like to know if it's possible, I haven't found a way yet, to open up Spotify and play a particular playlist on shuffle. Assume Spotify has to update before this can happen?
Yes it has to support it
[doublepost=1537239365][/doublepost]
Here’s one I created that lets you automatically text someone you’re traveling to visit with your current location and how long until you arrive. The best part is that you input their name using Siri!

Note: The contact has to be in your address book with a street address.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/3762ec7d36ef4a96866b438254252880
For some reason it isn’t opening in my shortcuts app. Could you post a screenshot or record screen?
[doublepost=1537239415][/doublepost]
These shortcut links stopped working for me. They open the app but do nothing. Tried restarting the app. Anyone had this?
Meeeee I can’t seem to get any shortcuts from links
[doublepost=1537239602][/doublepost]
Since I can’t post links (they aren’t working), I’ll post screenshots of how this works (I apologize for not stitching them but Tailor is thrown off by screenshots that are similar)

Oh you posted a screen shot. Damn looks tooo big. I’ll go mad. I wish the link worked

Reactions: GreyOS

TeToslaw

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Hey everyone. I’d like to create a shortcut to play music via Apple TV while alarm clock is starting to ring. Is it possible? Tia

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Hey everyone. I’d like to create a shortcut to play music via Apple TV while alarm clock is starting to ring. Is it possible? Tia

Unfortunately, no. Right now there’s no AirPlay support for directing sound output locations. Also, Shortcuts does not natively support timed execution (or geo-fenced execution, for that matter. However, in combination with Launcher Pro, you may be able do the timed execution.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
That’s a pity, I hope they will add an option for variable alarm times through shortcuts eventually then. Thanks for the answer though!

Regardless, I look forward to seeing what other people come up with in this thread!
Hmmm...have you tried the Magic Variable?

Reactions: mcrawley

Greg3523

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2017
Anyone had any luck with the “Match Text” step in a shortcut? I’m trying to find a string, but any use of “Match Text” (even the default) causes the Shortcuts app to freeze and it has to be force quit. Not sure if it is a bug, or if perhaps there is a workaround or different use I need to try.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
So, been tinkering with the app. Created several things that auto-send texts with my driving time, getting a news RSS-feed and read it for me, etc.

But how do I make the HomePods play? And how do I make Siri say the weather forecast? She can do it when you ask her, but the weather-app in Shortcuts only can "show" the weather, and I want to integrate it in my "mornin" shortcut...

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
I think the ‘Run script over SSH’ is going to be very useful!

I’ve set up a simple shortcut to turn on my Homebridge server with Siri.

Before I would have to open an SSH app, login to the Rpi and type out the command.

80727BDB-875D-405E-BF85-771DF06172F9.png

tcdav26

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
Yarmouthport, MA
I’m trying to put together a shortcut at that will let me turn on DND, lower brightness, and turn on Night Shift and True Tone. I’ve got everything but turning on night shift. Can anyone help out?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I thought it would be cool to get ideas from other users on how to leverage the power of shortcuts. Sometimes I have trouble thinking creatively and would love to hear ideas from others.

I’ll start with one I’m creating:

“Hey Siri - We’re all leaving now” (used when all the family is heading out for the day/night/weekend)
- turns off all living room and upstairs lights
- turns on couch lights (so it looks like someone is home)
- set all thermostats to “away mode”

Doesn’t HomeKit complications or automation does this already? I use it for my Hue lights.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Doesn’t HomeKit complications or automation does this already? I use it for my Hue lights.

Yeah, the "Shortcut" would be: turn on scene X :) not very useful, unless it's combined with some other stuff, ie: send a text to your friendly neighbor to say you're away on a trip and that he should keep an eye on things.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Move Simone's mobile # to the top of the list
Another matter but I wish you could actually move the numbers with a gripper in Contacts instead of having to manually edit them to swap them!
[doublepost=1537266454][/doublepost]
Currently trying to get a contacts phone numbers and have it distinguish which is Mobile and which is home. I can get it to retrieve the contacts numbers but can’t find how to get just the mobile without me having to choose it specifically hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I’m not sure how reliable this is but I found that passing a contact straight into Send Message tended to pick what was labelled as mobile or iPhone, even if it wasn’t the first number.

e.g. 6F317BA7-B0F4-47CB-A4A5-E3250249AABE.jpeg

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I’m trying to put together a shortcut at that will let me turn on DND, lower brightness, and turn on Night Shift and True Tone. I’ve got everything but turning on night shift. Can anyone help out?

Alas, you can only set settings that are exposed by Apple. The settings on the screenshot below are the only ones I’ve encountered in the 2 months I’ve been using it.

a974242ce91ff13b762ae7da17cf8d12.png

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Hmmm...have you tried the Magic Variable?

Unfortunately, the Siri Suggested actions (at least for alarms) seem to be static: they are what they are and you can’t pass a variable or other input in to alter it. In fact, the Siri Suggested Alarm action simply passes any received date info straight through without modification.

e214fd4b39496841031e7530f32eb1ee.png

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Not sure if I posted this here, but a great place to find Shortcuts is sharecuts.app. This is a site created by Rambo (of “found the marketing photos of the Xs and Watch Series 4 online” fame) and is contributed to by several well known tech bloggers and developers.

I am hoping Apple develops a Shortcuts Store or at least something more robust than the Gallery, which has been pretty similar to what it is now since the early days of Workflow.

AntonisCy

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Can anyone guide me how to do a shortcut to Siri to toggle between 2G and 4G cellular connections and make widget buttons for them?

TeToslaw

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
The shortcuts app is still encountering problems with Apple CarPlay and barely working with Siri commands - most of time I have to turn all of them on manually. It's so upsetting

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.