Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yass31

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2017
FR
I think the ‘Run script over SSH’ is going to be very useful!

I’ve set up a simple shortcut to turn on my Homebridge server with Siri.

Before I would have to open an SSH app, login to the Rpi and type out the command.

View attachment 783107

Did the same to reboot the pi and launch homebridge + noip deamon (as the pi serves me as a vpn server).
It clearly saves time!!

Reactions: Recognition

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Bummer! Thanks for the response! Hopefully in the coming months they will have more updates on more control!

My guess is that they wanted to start with things people can already control, one at a time, using Siri. I also hope to see more soon, and I think we will. Still a few bugs in the current implementation to fix first!

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
What would be cool is to close all apps in multitasking tray... I am pretty sure it can be done with scripting.
I’m pretty sure you can’t
[doublepost=1537273114][/doublepost]I understand these things tend to develop organically without much control, but also it’d be kind of cool if this thread became more focussed on sharing Shortcuts again. I created a separate thread for help and discussion... just saying... ;)

wa2be

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2016
I created a shortcut that tells me how long it will take to get to work, and then it opens Overcast and starts my drive time playlist. All I have to do is say "Hey Siri I'm going to work". Pretty slick stuff! I also have a Siri Pandora shortcut that plays a Pandora station just by saying "Hey Siri play the blues".

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I’m pretty sure you can’t
[doublepost=1537273114][/doublepost]I understand these things tend to develop organically without much control, but also it’d be kind of cool if this thread became more focussed on sharing Shortcuts again. I created a separate thread for help and discussion... just saying... ;)

Maybe we should also have a “Tips and Tricks” thread, too?

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Ivangf2

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2011
I created a shortcut that tells me how long it will take to get to work, and then it opens Overcast and starts my drive time playlist. All I have to do is say "Hey Siri I'm going to work". Pretty slick stuff! I also have a Siri Pandora shortcut that plays a Pandora station just by saying "Hey Siri play the blues".
Can you share it? Please

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/shortcuts-help-discussion.2138854/

I'm hoping people (smarter than me) come up with some cool shortcuts over the next few days for me to look at.

It will help if Apple will get the iCloud links working.

Here’s a link to one of mine: a Shortcut to tell someone in your contacts that you are traveling to visit when you’ll arrive (fingers crossed link works!). The fun part is using Siri to tell the Shortcut your contact's name!

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/8d6ff24b5f4c45d88996cf30f2e2668d

EDIT: Link works!!!!! Thanks, Apple!
[doublepost=1537279239][/doublepost]Here's an interesting article about how to use IFTTT with Shortcuts (even though its not officially supported (yet).

https://www.macstories.net/ios/how-to-trigger-ifttt-applets-with-ios-12s-new-shortcuts-app-and-siri/

Last edited:
Reactions: adrianlondon

Nikiforidis

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2017
Can anyone guide me how to do a shortcut to Siri to toggle between 2G and 4G cellular connections and make widget buttons for them?
I just created a shortcut that disables bluetooth, wifi and mobile data, I wanted to insert a command that changes 4G to 2G before disabling mobile data in order to save some battery life but as gwhizkids said that's not available. Turning off location services shortcut is not available either.

Grrrrr Apple!:mad:

Reactions: AntonisCy

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
Hey guys, shortcuts link are working. You just need to wait for a few seconds or so to let it load, then a screen comes up and you’ll be able to save it

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Hey guys, shortcuts link are working. You just need to wait for a few seconds or so to let it load, then a screen comes up and you’ll be able to save it
When it’s working it takes a while, yes. When it wasnt working, it didn’t do it at all.
[doublepost=1537281533][/doublepost]Here is a Do Not Disturb shortcut which asks you how long you want to enable it for. It creates a calendar event of that length and ends DND when the event ends. It’s in hours but you could modify that- I tested it against 1 minute of course!

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/642b171755154d7daa34ba847d25c721

jessebkr87

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
Am i seeing this correctly that shortcut Siri commands arent synced between devices??? For real? Or is it just some bug?
I’m seeing the same behavior. It’s really dumb that those don’t sync. How are shortcuts supposed to work on HomePod if the Siri commands don’t sync?

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
Doesn’t HomeKit complications or automation does this already? I use it for my Hue lights.

Yeah, the "Shortcut" would be: turn on scene X :) not very useful, unless it's combined with some other stuff, ie: send a text to your friendly neighbor to say you're away on a trip and that he should keep an eye on things.

Yeah - good points. That's why I started this thread - so I can get help and ideas really taking advantage of the Shortcut. Good ideas on the text to a friend, etc.

Keep all the great ideas coming folks! Good stuff.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Instructional video on Shortcuts from one of the Workflow guys, Matthew Cassinelli

IamScotty

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
I want a widget on the screen that switches location services on and off, does anyone know how to create this shortcut?

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
They don’t as in it’s broken or you don’t think it’s supposed to? I’ve seen where HomePods are supposed to run shortcuts. Maybe they do sync to HomePods?
Well maybe shortcuts created in the app run on HomePod as these also sync across devices. But the actual in app “add to Siri” shortcuts seem to be device specific and don’t work for me yet at least. Maybe it’s broken, maybe it’s an oversight or maybe it’s intentional, i have no clue. But it’s extremely frustrating!

enomi

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Is there any way to send an automatic message upon arriving at a location? I really like the 'Heading to Work' shortcut but I want to add the action to send a text message when I arrive at work to a contact? Gladly appreciate your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.