Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Is there a way to create a Shortcut that triggers Amazon Alexa? (Not the App, but the Voice Assistant itself).

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
I'm sure this has been talked about before but this shortcut called SW-DLT is just brilliant: https://routinehub.co/shortcut/7284/

I had no idea about RoutineHub, a lot of the shortcuts on there are useless to me but the ability to use yt-dlp on my iPhone via SW-DLT is a legitimate game changer for me. I basically use this shortcut every day. I've always known about terminal apps on iOS but I had no idea they were this powerful. I can now shoot great looking video, begin editing on LumaVision, AND integrate third party media in my edits (be it background music from YouTube or a clip from Twitter) ALL on my iPhone away from home, no Mac necessary. Prior to this I could only do the first two steps easily and conveniently.

I'm curious to learn more about other examples of utilizing complex, advanced scripts via Shortcuts and a-Shell/terminal apps. Anyone have any good examples?
Any problem downloading Twitter X GIF or videos?

Bobajobbob

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2005
Need some help from Shortcut experts.

I had previously created a shortcut to use the Find My app to immediately open the app and locate my son. I managed to delete it by mistake and now for the life of me I cannot find the action to replicate this shortcut. I can use the Open App command to open the Find My app but I cannot be more specific to find an individual who is sharing their location with me.

Any pointers very welcome.

thanks

flobach

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Germany
Need some help from Shortcut experts.

I had previously created a shortcut to use the Find My app to immediately open the app and locate my son. I managed to delete it by mistake and now for the life of me I cannot find the action to replicate this shortcut. I can use the Open App command to open the Find My app but I cannot be more specific to find an individual who is sharing their location with me.

Any pointers very welcome.

thanks
I think your best bet is to manually open the find my app, and look for your son on there. If you do it regularly, he will show up as a suggestion in shortcuts under the find my app. Hope that helps :)

flobach

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Germany
Question: It‘s easy to split screen apps via shortcuts - but for the life of me I can’t find how to un-split apps :(

What I want to get done: I want to open an app I had in split screen previously just by itself (fullscreen) - but it always reverts back to the last instance of the app, which is split screen… Any help muchly appreciated :)

Bobajobbob

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2005
I think your best bet is to manually open the find my app, and look for your son on there. If you do it regularly, he will show up as a suggestion in shortcuts under the find my app. Hope that helps :)
Thanks I managed to figure it out eventually. I didn't realise that in order for a function to show up in the suggestions under the app I needed to perform that action manually first. The logic for the display of both apps and the functions within apps is a bit confusing to me sometimes in Shortcuts but maybe its just me.

Reactions: flobach

Sarah_Baker

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2023
My favourite shortcut is for finding a song in Youtube Music via Shazam. I listen to any tune via Shazam, find the name of the song, then perform a quick google search via Safari with a search parameter to search only YouTube music domain. If anyone is interested I can share it.

flobach

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Germany
My favourite shortcut is for finding a song in Youtube Music via Shazam. I listen to any tune via Shazam, find the name of the song, then perform a quick google search via Safari with a search parameter to search only YouTube music domain. If anyone is interested I can share it.
Yes please, I’ve never heard of that before, sounds cool!

dUnKle

macrumors regular
May 28, 2020
Hopefully someone can help me.
I used to have a shortcut which was on the homepage of my iPad that when I tapped it would open up an email to myself

Used to use this to send myself reminders as my memory is shocking and use my emails to “remind me” (I “forget” about the reminders app as find it little complicated)

However I seem to have moved / deleted it

Can anyone help ?

Thanks

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Go into Shortcuts app and see if you can find it there. Is so, open the Shortcut (tap on three dots on it), and then use the Share Sheet at the bottom of the screen and "Add to Home Screen": that will put it back on the screen.

Can also create a Shortcuts Widget and have the Shortcut in there and put the widget either on the Home Screen(s) or on the old widget screen (left from main Home Screen).

If not in Shortcuts, will need to recreate it as it was deleted from the app.

dUnKle

macrumors regular
May 28, 2020
Go into Shortcuts app and see if you can find it there. Is so, open the Shortcut (tap on three dots on it), and then use the Share Sheet at the bottom of the screen and "Add to Home Screen": that will put it back on the screen.

Can also create a Shortcuts Widget and have the Shortcut in there and put the widget either on the Home Screen(s) or on the old widget screen (left from main Home Screen).

If not in Shortcuts, will need to recreate it as it was deleted from the app.

Thanks , had a good look and can’t locate.
Goodness knows what’s happened.
How would I recreate it

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Open the Shortcuts app and code it up.

Might look into the Gallery tab at the bottom of the Shortcuts app window: might be able to find a pre-made Shortcut there that does what you want/need.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I believe the shortcut at the link immediately below will do what you’re looking for it to do. It will ask you to provide your email address when you install it. The shortcut will then insert that email address into the “to” field.

Once you install it in your Shortcuts app, you will then have to click on the little “i “ in the circle at the bottom of the app to add the shortcut to your iPad Home Screen. See below:

435fbf028f6e157ec469823f3bc2e0f8.jpg

If you use the Spark email client they have an even easier one (though this one is pretty easy).

Hope this helps.

Reactions: NoBoMac

dUnKle

macrumors regular
May 28, 2020
I believe the shortcut at the link immediately below will do what you’re looking for it to do. It will ask you to provide your email address when you install it. The shortcut will then insert that email address into the “to” field.

Once you install it in your Shortcuts app, you will then have to click on the little “i “ in the circle at the bottom of the app to add the shortcut to your iPad Home Screen. See below:

435fbf028f6e157ec469823f3bc2e0f8.jpg

If you use the Spark email client they have an even easier one (though this one is pretty easy).

Hope this helps.
Thanks all

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
  • Wow
Reactions: camelia and adib
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.