Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aetles

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Sweden
Those would appear in the scripting actions in Shortcuts, and the only two new additions that I see are Set Focus and Set Hotspot.

Sorry….
Oh well 🙁 But thanks for quick answer.

(Edit: I've created a shortcut that I've added to my home screen that opens the prefs page for Tap to wake, waits 2 seconds, then open the prefs page for Raise to wake, waits 2 seconds, then return to the home screen. It's not as good as what I would like to have, but better than manually searching for the settings and changing them.)

Last edited:

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland

(Edit: I've created a shortcut that I've added to my home screen that opens the prefs page for Tap to wake, waits 2 seconds, then open the prefs page for Raise to wake, waits 2 seconds, then return to the home screen. It's not as good as what I would like to have, but better than manually searching for the settings and changing them.)
They may need adjusting after you upgrade to iOS 16. I have a shortcut that goes to the Backup area in Settings which, since I upgraded, no longer works. Items in Settings often move around during major iOS changes. I'll need to figure out the new path.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
They may need adjusting after you upgrade to iOS 16. I have a shortcut that goes to the Backup area in Settings which, since I upgraded, no longer works. Items in Settings often move around during major iOS changes. I'll need to figure out the new path.

Thanks for pointing this out. I was trying to find the shortcuts actions the OP was using to get to Tap to Wake and Raise to Wake in the iOS 16 version of Shortcuts and could not find them.

That’s not to say that they are gone for good. As you (@adrianlondon) noted, this stuff tends to move around a lot during major updates and it may be that they have been temporarily removed. I expect a fair amount of fluctuation in Shortcuts between now and September, so keep an eye out.

Reactions: adrianlondon

hawaiipoolman

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007

Awesome, can you share the shortcut?

Aetles

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Sweden
Awesome, can you share the shortcut?
Yeah, I made a copy of it (so I can modify my shortcut in the future without ruining this one). I've increased the wait on each screen to three seconds:

The shortcut usually works but sometimes (especially if I haven't run any shortcut for a while) there is a very annoying notification about the shortcut loading or something, that prevents you from toggle the switch in time, even with three seconds.

Reactions: hawaiipoolman

hawaiipoolman

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
Yeah, I made a copy of it (so I can modify my shortcut in the future without ruining this one). I've increased the wait on each screen to three seconds:

The shortcut usually works but sometimes (especially if I haven't run any shortcut for a while) there is a very annoying notification about the shortcut loading or something, that prevents you from toggle the switch in time, even with three seconds.
worked great on my run today. too bad it cant toggle them automatically. thanks!

Reactions: Aetles

liamfmvt

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2022
I'm trying to have a shortcut do the following:
When connected to any one of 3 bluetooth devices:
Open Amazon music
Say "alexa"
Say "play my soundtrack"

I've got it so that the shortcut works, and when it connects to BT it runs the shortcut. But... it doesn't seem to execute as an automation. That is, it says it is running the shortcut, but I don't see the app open, don't hear anything etc.

if I just go to run the shortcut, it works great.

Screen shots of the shortcut and automation attached.

First time shortcut user... what am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_1480.PNG
    IMG_1480.PNG
    117.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1479.PNG
    IMG_1479.PNG
    331 KB · Views: 110

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Need to tap on the Notification and then tap Run. "When connect to Bluetooth" Automations do not have the option to not ask to run, like time-based automations.

Attachments

•  Autorun.png
    Autorun.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 109

liamfmvt

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2022
Need to tap on the Notification and then tap Run. "When connect to Bluetooth" Automations do not have the option to not ask to run, like time-based automations.
Oh man, that's dumb... defeats the purpose of having amazon start hands free when in the car.

In other news, seems like I can achieve this more easily with a URL pointing to my soundtrack. But that still doesn't solve the "tap to run shortcut" from the automation. Any way around that? (I have a secondary set for car play to do this, but not all my cars have carplay.)

I found another thread that said to create a shortcut that starts when driving focus is on, which would work great, except that I can't designate driving focus with my bluetooth device (I have it set as "Car Stereo", but in testing in the driveway it doesn't actually turn the focus on))

Last edited:
Reactions: pacorob

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
You can play around with Focuses to do these type of triggers: dummy Focus for home, Focus triggered Automation to turn off dummy Focus and then do the Shortcut stuff.

Problem I've seen and not dug into: appears there are false triggers for location Focuses. Thinks that just arrived at a location but have been there for a while. For me, not generally an issue as not trying to control non-Apple devices. The one case I've run into where it is a problem, I write a flag to "On My iPhone" in Files app and check the status of that (flag set, don't do Shortcut). But one now has to figure out how to unset the flag as Bluetooth disconnect and "When I leave location" Automations also require user intervention/action.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I have been trying to run a simple automation where an iMessage gets sent to myself when my phone charge level goes above a certain level. The automation doesn’t run, and when I test it, the message goes through but I don’t get a notification or tone. Any thoughts?

wa2be

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2016
Anyone else have problems with existing shortcuts being broken by iOS 16? I had some simple shortcuts that would open a specific note from the Notes app. They were setup to trigger by a shortcut on the home screen. Now when I click those shortcuts it pulls up a list of all of my Notes instead of opening the actual note. I will play with it and see if I can get them to work properly, but just wondering if anyone else experienced problems with the upgrade breaking their shortcuts?

Reactions: lyricalbliss6

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I have been trying to run a simple automation where an iMessage gets sent to myself when my phone charge level goes above a certain level. The automation doesn’t run, and when I test it, the message goes through but I don’t get a notification or tone. Any thoughts?

I think there is something broken with automations, particularly those running shortcuts. I’ve just reported 2 issues involving similar errors. Hang tight, file Feedback and hopefully they get this fixed.

Reactions: Kierkegaarden

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
the message goes through but I don’t get a notification or tone. Any thoughts?

Not a Shortcuts bug imo. If I send a Message to myself via Messages, no alerts/badges.

Now when I click those shortcuts it pulls up a list of all of my Notes instead of opening the actual note.

Same, but getting a list of the last X changed/created Notes. Tried several things and could not get past this bug.

I think there is something broken with automations, particularly those running shortcuts.

Yeah, a bug from the sound of things. I've had a couple of Automations that did not fire at the correct time, but not consistent enough to consider a bug, yet, due to vast majority of the time they are running.

What I've noticed with iOS 15 Shortcuts, the app/environment can become a bit squirrelly after a while, particularly if one has been making a lot of changes to Shortcuts (eg. problem communicating with helper error message, suddenly not working correctly). Swipe quit of the app seems to restore things. But has not been as frequent in 16 as 15 for me.

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
So, each time I try and use shortcuts, I inevitably run into a dead end - something or someone says I can’t do that thing. I don’t want to download new apps or pay a subscription to use a shortcut service.

I can’t believe these ones don’t exist WITHIN iOS apps - since iOS has these capabilities but shortcuts don’t have the avenues.

1. Scan to PDF and email to my own email. Notes app you can do this, but not in Shortcuts (that I can manage). I found an app that has one created but I need to pay a sub to get access to it. Not interested in doing that because I need that app and an additional app I don’t want.

2. This one is recent. I want to set my Apple Watch Ultra action button to record voice and keep recording until I either hit the action button or shut it off manually on the screen - then email myself the recording - or save it to iCloud. I can build it with the voice record app built in to iOS but it STOPS RECORDING the moment my screen sleeps on the watch. You can’t get that turned off. Stupid. I’ve read apple customer service questions about this and it’s a “feature” to not keep recording.

Any idea how to do this without again downloading another app? I have just press record, but it doesn’t appear to work with shortcuts anymore - it used to. But now I can only get the app opened up but cannot get it to start recording.

So frustrating when you can get SOOO a lose and it won’t work.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Today saw some big issues with Shortcuts. Started a thread about it to not clog up this thread with off-topic carping.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I’ve no experience with Shortcuts and I only need one for Auto-Brighthness on iOS 15.7
I have found this code
Code:
prefs:root=ACCESSIBILITY&path=DISPLAY_AND_TEXT#AUTO_BRIGHTNESS
from here https://medium.com/@contact.jmeyers...or-apple-settings-always-updated-20871139d72f
but it only opens Accessibility, it doesn’t go further.
I have defined the URL and use Scripting open URL with x-callback in the next step.
What am I doing wrong?

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
I'm sure this has been talked about before but this shortcut called SW-DLT is just brilliant: https://routinehub.co/shortcut/7284/

I had no idea about RoutineHub, a lot of the shortcuts on there are useless to me but the ability to use yt-dlp on my iPhone via SW-DLT is a legitimate game changer for me. I basically use this shortcut every day. I've always known about terminal apps on iOS but I had no idea they were this powerful. I can now shoot great looking video, begin editing on LumaVision, AND integrate third party media in my edits (be it background music from YouTube or a clip from Twitter) ALL on my iPhone away from home, no Mac necessary. Prior to this I could only do the first two steps easily and conveniently.

I'm curious to learn more about other examples of utilizing complex, advanced scripts via Shortcuts and a-Shell/terminal apps. Anyone have any good examples?

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

Retroglide08

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
Can anyone please help. Is it possible to have a shortcut to send a message to a WhatsApp group and also CC a recipient on Apple message at the same time? I have tried to create one but I really don’t know what I’m doing

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Has anyone added a Shortcut that not only opens Amazon Alexa App, but also triggers the “Hey Alexa” voice assistant?

Trying to create one similar to the one I did for Google Assistant, but it’s too convoluted/confusing for someone who hasn’t touched Shortcuts for months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.