Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
I thought it would be cool to get ideas from other users on how to leverage the power of shortcuts. Sometimes I have trouble thinking creatively and would love to hear ideas from others.

I’ll start with one I’m creating:

“Hey Siri - We’re all leaving now” (used when all the family is heading out for the day/night/weekend)
- turns off all living room and upstairs lights
- turns on couch lights (so it looks like someone is home)
- set all thermostats to “away mode

automation_2x.png

Credit: xckd.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013

Followed by the realization that Apple has now created an automation for just the use case you quoted (to be fair, that use case … everyone leaving the house…was not available as an automation in 2018…because automations were not a thing then).

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
Followed by the realization that Apple has now created an automation for just the use case you quoted (to be fair, that use case … everyone leaving the house…was not available as an automation in 2018…because automations were not a thing then).
... hence the “ongoing development” is now at Apple’s roster and amortized through many of its users.

ahwman

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
Is anyone having issues with Sortcuts lately? I’m getting messages like, uh oh something went wrong, or the app hasn’t implemented support for this, etc. Most of the time my shortcuts complete successfully, yet still report these errors.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Is anyone having issues with Sortcuts lately? I’m getting messages like, uh oh something went wrong, or the app hasn’t implemented support for this, etc. Most of the time my shortcuts complete successfully, yet still report these errors.

Something went haywire with Shortcuts last week and any that were shared via iCloud got deleted and then restored. Were the Shortcuts you are having issues with downloaded from elsewhere? It may be if that is the case that they were somehow corrupted during the delete/restore. I will call that the Shortcuts Snap

It also may be that Apple did something with the underpinnings of Shortcuts, which caused both the Shortcuts Snap and your issues.

ahwman

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
Something went haywire with Shortcuts last week and any that were shared via iCloud got deleted and then restored. Were the Shortcuts you are having issues with downloaded from elsewhere? It may be if that is the case that they were somehow corrupted during the delete/restore. I will call that the Shortcuts Snap

It also may be that Apple did something with the underpinnings of Shortcuts, which caused both the Shortcuts Snap and your issues.
No, none of my shortcuts are downloaded but rather created locally on device. I just wish Apple could iron our Siri Shortcuts. When they work, they’re incredibly useful, however it’s a roll if the dice as to wether they will work or not - at least for me. Additionally, I launch must of my shortcuts using my HomePod and this seems to add an additional failure point…

Reactions: adrianlondon

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
No, none of my shortcuts are downloaded but rather created locally on device. I just wish Apple could iron our Siri Shortcuts. When they work, they’re incredibly useful, however it’s a roll if the dice as to wether they will work or not - at least for me. Additionally, I launch must of my shortcuts using my HomePod and this seems to add an additional failure point…

One of my pet peeves are that the shortcuts take too long to get triggered if you set it up based on locations. And more of than not, they flat out don’t get triggered at all.

Reactions: kkclstuff

ahwman

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
One of my pet peeves are that the shortcuts take too long to get triggered if you set it up based on locations. And more of than not, they flat out don’t get triggered at all.
Sadly, shortcuts seems to be a hobby for Apple which is why I believe we‘re not seeing a priority to fix these ongoing issues. Coupled with the fact that people who actually use shortcuts represents a small microcosm of the user base, I don’t expect things to improve significantly going forward. I really hope I’m wrong as I love shortcuts and use them extensively…

Reactions: adrianlondon

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
Can anyone help me make a shortcut that opens Garage Band with my presettings? I find it incredibely annoying that I have to configure the settings every single time I create a new project.
Create a 'template' with your presets. *If GB doesn't save Templates, create a blank file/project with all your presets, save and name accordingly.

you can open that templat/saved file manually or create a shortcut to open it.

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
Im trying to create a REVERSE of the ['if wifi joins a network', turn Airplane Mode ON] I can't seem to write a script that will passively trigger: ['if wifi has no value', turn Airplane Mode OFF]

IF actions work but I still need to manually 'run' the shortcut. (Ironically I might as well then skip shortcuts and just access Airplane mode from the control center)
Location based actions don't work for this scenario (triggering distance too long)

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Is this scripting logic possible?
Can a shortcut 'run' notification request be automated to activate passively?

Last edited:

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Im trying to create a REVERSE of the ['if wifi joins a network', turn Airplane Mode ON] I can't seem to write a script that will passively trigger: ['if wifi has no value', turn Airplane Mode OFF]

IF actions work but I still need to manually 'run' the shortcut. (Ironically I might as well then skip shortcuts and just access Airplane mode from the control center)
Location based actions don't work for this scenario (triggering distance too long)

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Is this scripting logic possible?
Can a shortcut 'run' notification request be automated to activate passively?
Not possible to do that as far as I know.

I never got on with the first type let alone the reverse. Using two access points with same SSID at home and my phone switches between the two a few times a day and I get a notification each time. Ended up disabling it.

It’s a shame the logic for the shortcut can only run AFTER the automation trigger. I could add steps to say ‘don’t do this if airplane mode is already on’ but it needs to run the automation to get to that logic. And of course in this case ‘automation’ just means a glorified notification.

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
Yeah it’s the glorified notification that’s really pointless. Just seems like a wasted ‘feature’. In my 30yrs of using Apple products I don’t know why it still surprises and frustrates me all these obfuscated features will eventually be in an “update”.

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Yeah it’s the glorified notification that’s really pointless. Just seems like a wasted ‘feature’. In my 30yrs of using Apple products I don’t know why it still surprises and frustrates me all these obfuscated features will eventually be in an “update”.

I think Apple is being hyper careful with the automation triggers and gradually loosening up. Last year they loosened up in the time based triggers. Let’s hope they do some more of that this year.

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
I just stumbled across an app called Jellycuts that lets you write shortcuts in code that can then be imported into the shortcuts app.

Store link:

More info here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Jellycuts/comments/ndzh6p
I haven't played around with it too much yet but it seems very useful. I'm excited to try out the VSCode extension.

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
Thanks for that^^^ (I'll have to wait as it looks like only M1 Mac and 'not available in the US store')

has anyone used SPLASH programming language for shortcuts? I just saw that today too

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
Thanks for that^^^ (I'll have to wait as it looks like only M1 Mac and 'not available in the US store')

has anyone used SPLASH programming language for shortcuts? I just saw that today too
I haven’t tried it but based on the GitHub issues it looks like it might be abandoned since iOS 13 removed the ability to import shortcuts from a file.

Reactions: kkclstuff

ecatomb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2021
France
Hello,

When I'm in my apartment but far from my wifi, the data is very bad like 2g ?
Could we do something with Shortcuts in order to disconnect from wifi without turning it off ? So it stay connected with other devices like the watch

Thank you

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Automations like that don't actually run like a "proper" automation. Instead, they send a notification to your phone which you then need to click on.

As you need to interact with the phone anyway, the best thing to do is just to disconnect from wifi using the control panel. Or, even better, turn on "WiFi Assist" which'll use mobile data when it senses your wifi connection is slow.

Also, location services isn't really accurate enough to trigger when you're just a few metres away from your router, and re-trigger once you move a metre or so closer.

Reactions: akash.nu

ecatomb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2021
France
I can use time in order to automate that. Turning off the wifi at the moment without any interaction.

But if I could do only disconnect wifi, it will be better.

Aetles

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Sweden
I would like to add disabling 'Tap to Wake' and 'Raise to Wake', since these lead to lots of false inputs when my pockets are wet. I can't find a way to do this via Shortcuts. Any suggestions?
I have the same request, did you ever find a way to do this with Shortcuts?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I have the same request, did you ever find a way to do this with Shortcuts?

Those commands are not accessible by the Shortcuts app so you cannot perform them that way. Interestingly, though, you can toggle on/off the Raise to wake feature on the Apple Watch via a shortcuts action.

Aetles

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Sweden
Those commands are not accessible by the Shortcuts app so you cannot perform them that way. Interestingly, though, you can toggle on/off the Raise to wake feature on the Apple Watch via a shortcuts action.
That's what I thought but I was hoping I was just missing something. Oh well, hopefully they'll expand the amount of settings that is accessible from Shortcuts in future iOS versions. (And also, yet another reason to save for an Apple Watch.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.