Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

didule

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2020
I was looking some good siri shortcut, for a morning routine. I find one, which seems ok. It is Ultimate Wake-Up shortcut. It looks like it is workings, and it did, until I find out, it doesn't. The most important part is calendar part. It is working fine, all until there are some appointments. If there is none, it stops, and give this error message. So it seems that it has some issues with blank calendar. Does somebody knows what could seems to cause the trouble and how to fix this?

Cassandle

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2020
I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a shortcut that plays a sound on my wife’s iPhone whenever she can’t find it using the ‘find my’ app.
It doesn’t seem to work on iOS 14, and in the shortcuts app it’s only giving me the option to ‘show location’ and ‘find phone’, nothing that prompts a sound to play.
Any ideas how to make this work?

Frank M

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2019
New Jersey
Try this:

Open the app.
At the bottom select Devices.
Select any device shown.
The next screen will give you the option to play a sound.

This works for me under iOS 14.

Frank M

Cassandle

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2020
Try this:

Open the app.
At the bottom select Devices.
Select any device shown.
The next screen will give you the option to play a sound.

This works for me under iOS 14.

Frank M
That’s how you do it within the ‘find me’ app. The shortcut automated this process and now it won’t work and I can’t see any option to select this action within the shortcuts app.

firefighter395

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2020
I finally got my shortcut working. It is the SIRI voice when your phone is plugged in. The problem is, it only comes through the ear piece and not the speaker. I cannot hear it unless the phone is up to my ear.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

coolthings

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2020
Can anyone help me make a shortcut that opens Garage Band with my presettings? I find it incredibely annoying that I have to configure the settings every single time I create a new project.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I have what I consider to be four very useful (for me) shortcuts setup for notes.

The first two turn it into a clipboard manager. I have them attached to back tap twice / thrice as well
https://streamable.com/vxqq41

You need to make a folder inside notes called Clipboard or edit the shortcut and change the folder name from Clipboard to whatever.

I use this for quick recording and then go through and refine stuff I want to keep or I dump stuff I don’t. I made a folder inside shortcuts with four notes related things and that’s the deal trap widget.

Copy to clipboard action

Clipboard picker

Those other two simply create a note and search for text in all notes. I didn’t bother making the nee note complicated. Set the preference for opening with title, heading, subheading in the notes preferences.

Finding action allows you to select a note from a list of notes found matching the string and then either copy, do a quick preview, or open the actual note.

Nee note shortcut (so simply I probably don’t need to share it but for people who are brand new)

Find matching text across any note title or body and have options action

These are all very simply but I find them useful, especially in a folder together and thrown on the Home Screen

Hopefully someone else will too.

Last edited:

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
We're trying to work out if the following is possible (I think not). If (nobody is home OR it is between 22:00 and 04:30) AND motion is detected on a motion sensor (part of an indoor camera) then send a iMessage to contacts & flash a light (that part is done).

From what I can see there isn't a way to see if folks have left home and to 'OR' that state with a time period. Or for that matter to send an iMessage?

Why not use nested statements. If you can do them both individually you can combine or differentiate them. Maybe make separate shortcuts and use an if then to call the different shortcuts. Once that’s working you can combine them.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to have multiple When conditions in a personal automation? It doesn’t look like it, but just checking I haven’t missed some quirky UI.

For what it’s worth, I have an automation so that WHEN I connect to my home WiFi, turn on airplane mode (so that I use WiFi calling; I have poor, battery draining signal at home.)

As it turns out, the automation doesn’t run without manual confirmation, but it acts as a good reminder. The problem is that I get the notification multiple times through the day when home, when switching between access points etc. Basically I wanted to add a condition so it would only run when not already in airplane mode. I tried adding this condition to the DO section but of course that doesn’t stop the automation event itself and therefore doesn’t stop the notification.

Same
Kind of answer. Why not start with an if then and best a second one ?

If connected to home WiFi = yes
Then Nothing
Or
Execute shortcut you made

My verbiage is off as it’s migraine central here but you get the idea.

Last edited:

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Can anyone help me make a shortcut that opens Garage Band with my presettings? I find it incredibely annoying that I have to configure the settings every single time I create a new project.

There doesn’t appear to be shortcut interaction with GarageBand mate. Sorry.

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
I used this guide to create a Share Sheet shortcut to re-enable picture-in-picture mode on YouTube's website since Google seems intent on blocking it.

Edit: Looks like MacRumors has a better write up on this

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Anyone have a shortcut for Apple Arcade on iOS? How is it TVOS has one, yet iOS doesn't?

Do you mean “shortcut” as in a link to Arcade or are you referring to “Shortcuts” [capital S], that are macros to automate repetitive functions, among other things. There are no Shortcuts [again, capital S] in tvOS.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Do you mean “shortcut” as in a link to Arcade or are you referring to “Shortcuts” [capital S], that are macros to automate repetitive functions, among other things. There are no Shortcuts [again, capital S] in tvOS.
I mean an actual Arcade logo shortcut to skip hitting the App Store and then the tiny arcade logo down bottom - want to make it easier for my kids on iPad and keep them out of anything else on the App Store.

TV OS has the big red joystick logo to take you directly to the app section.

Last edited:

Cascas0915

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2017
Has anyone found or created a shortcut that will back up all new photos to a hard drive when run ?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I mean an actual Arcade logo shortcut to skip hitting the App Store and then the tiny arcade logo down bottom - want to make it easier for my kids on iPad and keep them out of anything else on the App Store.

TV OS has the big red joystick logo to take you directly to the app section.

I’m sorry I missed this reply. I just looked in Shortcuts to see if you can create the link you are looking for. Unfortunately, Arcade is not set up as a standalone app to allow this.

Reactions: TVreporter

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
Reactions: Jaggrey

zubarzt

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2021
I've made a very simple shortcut which speaks to me when battery level is at 80% during charging. It is working fine, but for some reason it overcomes the do not disturb, so it wakes me up during the night when phone is charging. Is there some way to silent it during the "do not disturb" period of time?

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I've made a very simple shortcut which speaks to me when battery level is at 80% during charging. It is working fine, but for some reason it overcomes the do not disturb, so it wakes me up during the night when phone is charging. Is there some way to silent it during the "do not disturb" period of time?
you can make shortcuts run on conditions with the "if"-task.

zubarzt

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2021
you can make shortcuts run on conditions with the "if"-task.
I tried like this but I don't think it is going to work.

OPHhGPf.png

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Those two fields "input" and "condition" need to be filled in obviously. When you tap input you'll see you can pick the current date and then start playing with that. The shortcut will execute when the condition is met, otherwise it will execute the steps you put under "otherwise" which on your screenshot is nothing, so the shortcut won't do anything if the condition isn't met.

zubarzt

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2021
I tried but I don't know how to do it. If you can made this whole shortcut and put a ss here, or a link, I'd appreciate that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.