Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
After a quite bad time in Apple terms, I'm considering this little bundle of bits:https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/875090087416014/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp:3c296645-ab38-425a-a1a4-375e1d0ba737
The bad time? I temporarily lost my Galaxy S21 and was forced to use my spare phone, which is an iPhone 6S 128GB. It did not go well. To say I was relieved to get the Galaxy back is a colossal understatement. Won't be doing that again any time soon. Such a general bad experience that I disconnected the iMac, blew it back to High Sierra, and put it up for sale. For now, I'll hang on to the MBP while I play with the above, if I'm able to get it. But the daily driver is back to the Windows self-build, i7-4790, 32GB RAM, endless storage, and will stay that way.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I think 120 quid is a bit on the expensive side, given the MacBook could be anything from 2006 (Core Duo) to 2009 (Core 2 Duo NVIDIA), same goes for the Mac mini as there are no pictures that show its ports. No idea about the value of the other things.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
I think 120 quid is a bit on the expensive side, given the MacBook could be anything from 2006 (Core Duo) to 2009 (Core 2 Duo NVIDIA), same goes for the Mac mini as there are no pictures that show its ports. No idea about the value of the other things.
I'll certainly be trying to reduce it a bit.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Another thing to watch out for: If the MacBook and/or Mac mini is a pre-2009 model, it has (very) crappy Intel graphics and will be limited to Snow Leopard (Core Duo) or Mountain Lion (Core 2 Duo). So the question is what you'd use the machines for.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheShortTimer

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK

Totally agree. £120 is way overpriced and especially for items that are described as untested - which is a red flag in this situation because the seller claims to have all the power adapters, so why haven't they at least tested the MacBook? Speaking of which, it's missing the battery and that means the CPU will be throttled to a lower speed unless you purchase a replacement - which will be an additional expense.

As for the Mini, it might even be a G4. Which is ok if you want a PPC Mac but I think that your focus is on Intel Macs.

The price needs to be reduced a lot.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more than £50/60 tops. The fact that they remain unsold after 9 weeks is indicative of the overpricing.

Reactions: Amethyst1

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Another thing to watch out for: If the MacBook and/or Mac mini is a pre-2009 model, it has (very) crappy Intel graphics and will be limited to Snow Leopard (Core Duo) or Mountain Lion (Core 2 Duo). So the question is what you'd use the machines for.
Just messin' around, will certainly try some Linux distros too.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Looking at the function keys, and assuming that it really has a Core 2 Duo, it seems to be a MacBook2,1 from 2006 or 2007 (the volume keys are F3-F5 unlike later machines where they were F10-F12). The mini is definitely an Intel machine as it has the IR reader by the optical drive that the G4's lacked. I probably wouldn't spend that money unless they were both 2009 machines with the 9400M. The older Intel GMA machines weren't that exciting, but as Linux machines they might still work fine.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
What do you reckon?
I'll go with it. The Time Capsule will go on the imac as Time Machine. The Macbook and Mini will be Linux machines for sure. The MB is an A1181/EMC 2139 2.0 C2D, mid-2007. The Mini is A1283/EMC2336 2.25GHz C2D. Every item comes with its associated charger/PSU, which is a minor miracle in itself.
Looking at the function keys, and assuming that it really has a Core 2 Duo, it seems to be a MacBook2,1 from 2006 or 2007 (the volume keys are F3-F5 unlike later machines where they were F10-F12). The mini is definitely an Intel machine as it has the IR reader by the optical drive that the G4's lacked. I probably wouldn't spend that money unless they were both 2009 machines with the 9400M. The older Intel GMA machines weren't that exciting, but as Linux machines they might still work fine.
This is the aim, to make them into Linux machines.

Last edited:

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Are these machines as fussy about RAM speeds as other Macs? Asking in faint hope, due to having plenty of 1333 ddr3 and hoping the Mini won't mind...

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I'll go with it. The Time Capsule will go on the imac as Time Machine. The Macbook and Mini will be Linux machines for sure. The MB is an A1181/EMC 2139 2.0 C2D, mid-2007. The Mini is A1283/EMC2336 2.25GHz C2D. Every item comes with its associated charger/PSU, which is a minor miracle in itself.

Fair enough.

Earlier today I spotted a boxed, complete C2D Mac Mini on eBay for £20 GBP and a 13" 2011 MBP on Facebook Marketplace for £50. Please keep in mind that there's machines to be had in better condition or with a better spec (and scope) at the same or a near price as what you'd pay for these but whatever you go for, we'll support you with getting the best out of them. :)

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Fair enough.

Earlier today I spotted a boxed, complete C2D Mac Mini on eBay for £20 GBP and a 13" 2011 MBP on Facebook Marketplace for £50. Please keep in mind that there's machines to be had in better condition or with a better spec (and scope) at the same or a near price as what you'd pay for these but whatever you go for, we'll support you with getting the best out of them. :)
When doing Facebook Marketplace searches in this area (the SW of England), the price uptick on just about everything is quite noticeable, scarcity factor presumably. And my eBay searches have never yielded such bargains on Apple kit. Other stuff, often. And the support here for EIM and other Apple odds and sods is nothing short of phenomenal!

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
When doing Facebook Marketplace searches in this area (the SW of England), the price uptick on just about everything is quite noticeable, scarcity factor presumably. And my eBay searches have never yielded such bargains on Apple kit. Other stuff, often.

Both items that I cited didn't stick around for long on eBay and FB Marketplace - unsurprisingly. My search results are mainly confined to London and the South East of England. These are probably too good to be true but this what a search for "MacBook" on FB Marketplace yielded just this morning:

3PI5h3h.png

cMjkv4c.png

0gVHNHt.png

And the support here for EIM and other Apple odds and sods is nothing short of phenomenal!

Yeah, we have a tremendous community. :)

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Ok, have the bundle. Macbook works fine, will upgrade RAM from 2 to 3 GB and install a 240GB SSD. Needs new battery, no biggie. Mini works fine also, but had no password for that, so reinstalling as I type. This is definitely not stock. The 160GB drive has been upped to 1TB at some point. With luck, it already has 8GB RAM!
Then I must find out how to use an A1355 Airport/Time Capsule 1TB, and an Airport Extreme A1521/EMC2703. The Time Capsule I planned to attach to the iMac, but it seems to be a network drive. Still searching for info on these gadgets.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
The Mini has 8GB! Bonus. All I have to do is decide whether or not to upgrade the HDD. Maybe I'll ditch the Superdrive and have a dual disk setup. This has worked out well!

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Ok, have the bundle. Macbook works fine, will upgrade RAM from 2 to 3 GB and install a 240GB SSD. Needs new battery, no biggie.

Is the battery completely dead? The MacBook won't run at full speed till the battery is replaced because macOS throttles the CPU performance in that scenario. (Which is annoying.)

Mini works fine also, but had no password for that, so reinstalling as I type.

Next time, use the resetpassword command from the Recovery Mode instead of reinstalling but it's probably best to start from scratch with a second hand computer anyway because you never know what might be lurking on its drive...

This is definitely not stock. The 160GB drive has been upped to 1TB at some point. With luck, it already has 8GB RAM!

If you decide to stick with the 1TB HDD, give it the once over with DriveDx h/t to @weckart for that recommendation.

This has worked out well!

Happy for you. :)

Definitely only 1TB.

Replace the drive with a larger one of your choosing? I would.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Writing this in El Cap on the Mini. Macbook is currently installing Mint onto a 240GB SSD. Battery on order. Surprised that the 3GB RAM I installed worked at all. It's DDR2-800 and the machine is specced for 667. Another bonus, although it will only run at at 667. The machine is not liking Mint. Installed OK, then all I get is a flashing folder. Oh well...

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Surprised that the 3GB RAM I installed worked at all. It's DDR2-800 and the machine is specced for 667.
RAM must be able to “downclock” and usually works just fine.

The machine is not liking Mint. Installed OK, then all I get is a flashing folder. Oh well...
What version of Mint? 32 or 64 bit? BIOS emulation or EFI mode? The MacBook2,1 has a 32-bit EFI, despite the 64-bit CPU.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
For the late 2006 iMac/MM/MB/MBP it was a carryover from earlier models. They shoved in a C2D and called it a day.
Every other laptop of the same vintage had those same limitations. GMA chipset limitation. With proper design, they could at least have had most of the 4GB RAM space available, even for 32-bit machines. A similar-age AMD Toshiba I had could manage more of the RAM with 32-bit installed, so I know it could be done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.