Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Still unable to download @dosdude1 's HS patcher:-
Screen Shot 2024-03-31 at 14.39.57.png

I get this on everything, even my phone.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Just reassmbled the A1355 Time Capsule 1 TB because it kept reporting 4TB, and guess what, it actually does have 4TB! this bundle was worth what I paid for it.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
The Macbook 2,1 didn't like +R discs, retrying with -R...
It doesn't like ANY recordable disks, full stop. It won't burn a DVD itself, although it will happily play standard video DVDs. So without major surgery to replace the drive, this machine would appear to be be stuck where it is, on Lion.
There are not too many pure 32-bit Linux distros any more and they are getting rarer by the day, it seems. Not even Debian seem to do one any more. Oh well...

ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
Not sure if you are saying that it cannot burn recordable DVD's or it cannot read them if they are first burned with another machine?

Ps. I think an external USB Apple Superdrive is a good thing to have. ;)

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
It won't burn a DVD itself, although it will happily play standard video DVDs.
The MacBook will only burn CDs.

There are not too many pure 32-bit Linux distros any more and they are getting rarer by the day, it seems.
What about a 64-bit one with an EFI32 boot loader?

Ps. I think an external USB Apple Superdrive is a good thing to have. ;)
Doesn’t that only work on MBAs unless mbasd=1 is passed to OS X? Are there different revisions?

I’d go for a non-Apple FireWire or USB DVD drive. Less picky, less expensive.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
What about a 64-bit one with an EFI32 boot loader?
Yeah, that is what he is trying to install per your and my recommendation but he wants to burn it a DVD to be able to boot and install it.

Doesn’t that only work on MBAs unless mbasd=1 is passed to OS X? Are there different revisions?

I’d go for a non-Apple FireWire or USB DVD drive. Less picky, less expensive.
No idea, never realized that it would be a problem. We have couple of those and I think I've used it with several non MBA at some point? But, thanks for the tip - I'll give it a read. 👍

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Now burning the iso using Simplyburns and the Macbook, in the hope that it will then recognise something it did itself!

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Zero progress on getting Linux onto the Macbook, so gave up and re-installed Lion. It also has its new battery, so the throttle is unlocked, and with the 3GB RAM and SSD combination, it flies! So I will look at various things by @wicknix in order to actually use it as-is, because dammit, it just works...

Mini currently upgrading to Sonoma! Probably ridiculous, but whatever. I may also go back to El Capitan on that and again use @wicknix software to make it usable.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
use @wicknix software to make it usable.
If you want bleeding edge browsers I'd suggest chromium-legacy and/or pale moon as I only rebuild sealion for major releases, not minor bug fix releases. Unless of course that isn't a big deal and you just love the SeaMonkey-like user interface. ;-)

However, I'd really suggest Snow Leopard instead of Lion. More available applications (ppc and Intel) and with Jazzzny's UXP port to 10.6 you get a modern browser as well. Top that off with InABox that's now using the same UXP code, you can create custom web apps (just like you can with chrome/chromium).

Oh, and 10.6 absolutely flies on an SSD. But I do really like Lion as well, and i keep it on a few machines also. A dual boot machine might be just what the doctor ordered. :)

Cheers

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Not trying to patch Mountain Lion on it? Not that it makes much of a difference these days.
No, I think I'll stick with Lion, or as @wicknix suggests below, Snow Leopard.
If you want bleeding edge browsers I'd suggest chromium-legacy and/or pale moon as I only rebuild sealion for major releases, not minor bug fix releases. Unless of course that isn't a big deal and you just love the SeaMonkey-like user interface. ;-)

However, I'd really suggest Snow Leopard instead of Lion. More available applications (ppc and Intel) and with Jazzzny's UXP port to 10.6 you get a modern browser as well. Top that off with InABox that's now using the same UXP code, you can create custom web apps (just like you can with chrome/chromium).

Oh, and 10.6 absolutely flies on an SSD. But I do really like Lion as well, and i keep it on a few machines also. A dual boot machine might be just what the doctor ordered. :)

Cheers
I'm liking the SL idea. It's a play machine, but it might just prove useful also, if there's a way to use encrypted USB sticks with it, a la Bitlocker on Windows. Then it can be the machine for my (very) small business!

Reactions: wicknix
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.