Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
This says otherwise. :)
Well, no it doesn't. It says it can boot in 32-bit mode running SL. The EFI is 64-bit. Having said that, the machine might be *set* to boot in 32-bit mode, if I read the footnote correctly. Will have to check. Put a fresh install of Lion on it until such time as I gigure things out.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Well, no it doesn't. It says it can boot in 32-bit mode running SL. The EFI is 64-bit. Having said that, the machine might be *set* to boot in 32-bit mode, if I read the footnote correctly. Will have to check. Put a fresh install of Lion on it until such time as I gigure things out.

The devil is in the detail...

* These models are believed to be hardware capable of booting MacOS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" in 64-bit mode, but it appears that they have been blocked in EFI from doing so. Unauthorized hacks are available.

Strange that Snow Leopard can't be run in 64-bit mode but Lion, a 64-bit only OS is supported.

The Netkas site is down unfortunately. I managed to access the page using the Wayback Machine but the download link involves the defunct Rapidshare. It can probably found elsewhere with a bit of digging.

To determine if your particular Mac has a 32-bit or 64-bit processor, 32-bit or 64-bit EFI, and whether or not your Mac is set to boot/running in 32-bit or 64-bit mode, an easy way is to download Startup Mode Selector. Please note that the author is providing this program as "donationware" and if you find the program useful, please contribute to his chosen charity.

The Startup Mode Selector utility is still available if you want to check it out. :)

Reactions: DCBassman

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Run ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi in Terminal to see what type of EFI you have.

In any case, EveryMac does say the EMC 2139 is EFI64 so if that’s accurate, I must have mixed it up with the EMC 2121. Sorry.

Last edited:

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Run ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi in Terminal to see what type of EFI you have.

In any case, EveryMac does say the EMC 2139 is EFI64 so if that’s accurate, I must have mixed it up with the EMC 2121. Sorry.
No worries!
Lion, a 64-bit only OS is supported.
Nope. 32-bit Mac Pro 2,1 final software was Lion, so that must be 32-bit capable. My first Mac and my first Macos!
:D

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Nope. 32-bit Mac Pro 2,1 final software was Lion, so that must be 32-bit capable. My first Mac and my first Macos!
:D

As @Amethyst1 has pointed out, there are no 32-bit Mac Pro's - otherwise my Mac Pro 1,1 wouldn't be able to run Mavericks and El Capitan - with a bit of fiddling. ;)

The early machines are however saddled with a 32-bit EFI - which needlessly and annoyingly blocked their official access to later macOS releases and also requires workarounds with newer Linux distros.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
As @Amethyst1 has pointed out, there are no 32-bit Mac Pro's - otherwise my Mac Pro 1,1 wouldn't be able to run Mavericks and El Capitan - with a bit of fiddling. ;)

The early machines are however saddled with a 32-bit EFI - which needlessly and annoyingly blocked their official access to later macOS releases and also requires workarounds with newer Linux distros.

As we're talking EFIs, I didn’t bother making the distinction. My bad. What I meant to point out, in my disjointed way, was that even if this particular Macbook had a 32-bit EFI, it would still run Lion.
I would already have patched it to High Sierra, but can't download the sw from @dosdude1 .

Reactions: TheShortTimer

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Easily missed in the text because of the font size. I've enlarged it! :D
The link is seemingly permanently broken...
The MacBook2,1’s “Merom” CPU doesn’t have SSE4 and can’t go past El Capitan no matter what. Worse yet, going past patched Mountain Lion loses graphics acceleration, making OS X basically useless (IMHO).
A 32-bit Linux is definitely in its future, then!
Thanks for all the help, this place is great for the accumulated knowledge!

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Startup Mode Selector changes nothing useful in this context, but continues to insist on there being a 32-bit EFI, despite what Everymac says. What is odd is what will and what won't boot. 64-bit Antix live USB will not boot. 64-bit Mint will boot and install, but not run once installed. Will now try a 32-bit Antix and see what happens.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Will now try a 32-bit Antix and see what happens.
That worked fine. But not a fan. Interestingly, the display on the right shows that the CPU is throttled as per the duff battery. OK. Will go back to Lion and keep it there. Battery is on its way, and Lion performs quickly anyhow, so should be a whizzer with new battery.
Again, I so appreciate l the help and knowledge.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
That does return EFI32, so will check out the Startup Mode Selector.
Startup Mode Selector changes nothing useful in this context, but continues to insist on there being a 32-bit EFI, despite what Everymac says.
I’d be inclined to believe what the system says. ;) Is it an EMC 2139 for sure?

64-bit Antix live USB will not boot.
How does it fail?

64-bit Linux install media need to have an EFI32-compatible boot loader: see here.

64-bit Mint will boot and install, but not run once installed.
Maybe Mint has the right boot loader?

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Unfortunately it's not uncommon for Linux distros to simply fail to work - even when you've chosen the right version, followed all of the instructions and ensured that your install media has been prepared correctly. I've experienced this with Macs and PCs and had episodes where I couldn't even get pass the installer menu!

(Cue howls of denunciation from Linux devotees.)

Reactions: DCBassman

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
it an EMC 2139 for sure?
That's what it says on the chassis. And the OS returns 'late 2007', so one might assume there's been no logic board swap.
Unfortunately it's not uncommon for Linux distros to simply fail to work - even when you've chosen the right version, followed all of the instructions and ensured that your install media has been prepared correctly. I've experienced this with Macs and PCs and had episodes where I couldn't even get pass the installer menu!

(Cue howls of denunciation from Linux devotees.)
Never had many problems with Linux on PCs, and not that many on Macs, to be fair. Except cMP 2,1 - never got Linux working on that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.