Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I heard that jailbreaking is possible now and was wondering what apps/features are the best?

What is your experience with jailbreaking?

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I’m only going to jailbreak my XS Max if some of the tweaks I used in the past have been updated.

Last edited:

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I did a previous model, and bricked it. People told me 'something went wrong'. Yeah, guess so... I've never tried since.

Yikes. So once it bricks does that mean it’s not possible to fix or sell? It’s literally worthless?Hence “Brick”
[automerge]1590370908[/automerge]
Don't jailbreak if privacy and security is important to you.

What could happen? Realistically speaking. Hypothetically I know a lot could happen

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Yikes. So once it bricks does that mean it’s not possible to fix or sell? It’s literally worthless?Hence “Brick”
[automerge]1590370908[/automerge]

What could happen? Realistically speaking. Hypothetically I know a lot could happen

You remove the safety of the iOS Sandbox by jailbreaking. Once you've done that any tweak can theoretically read another apps data, or even potentially modify the app itself.

Or destabilize (or worse, brick) the device (either maliciously or as a result of bad coding).

Back in my Android days I'd root all my devices. Whilst I appreciated the flexibility it gave me, the resulting instability or inability to take OTA updates, was a constant thorn in my side.

These days, now I'm older and a tish bit wiser, I'd be even more concerned with the security risks.

Last edited:

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I am now able to unlock my 11 Pro, without needing to swipe up. Together with an app that speeds up the unlock sheet, my unlocking is crazy fast.
I can be within 0.3 seconds from lockscreen, scanning my face, to my homescreen.
I have set it up that once there's a notification it first stays at the lockscreen and I have to decide what I want to do next when seeing the notification.

For me, an incredible and useful way of unlocking!

so far, this 13.5 jailbreak is very smooth on my 11 Pro. All of my banking apps and Apple Pay are working 100%.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I am now able to unlock my 11 Pro, without needing to swipe up. Together with an app that speeds up the unlock sheet, my unlocking is crazy fast.
I can be within 0.3 seconds from lockscreen, scanning my face, to my homescreen.
I have set it up that once there's a notification it first stays at the lockscreen and I have to decide what I want to do next when seeing the notification.

so far, this 13.5 jailbreak is very smooth on my 11 Pro. All of my banking apps and Apple Pay are working 100%.

That sounds super nice to have. But after jailbreak is it safe to do banking apps and Apple Pay?

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
That sounds super nice to have. But after jailbreak is it safe to do banking apps and Apple Pay?

just stick to the reliable and wellknown repo's to install tweaks/apps and you should be fine.

I have been jailbreaking for years (iOS 6-10). Not once I had been hacked or crazy things with banking activities/apps.

Apple Pay is safe with this 13.5 jailbreak. No worries ;)

Reactions: Mr_Brightside_@

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013

This is what I came here for. I wanted to jailbreak but I needed my banking apps. It needs to be redone each time the phone restarts right? Does that mean with a regular restart or also with springboard restarts?

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
just stick to the reliable and wellknown repo's to install tweaks/apps and you should be fine.

I have been jailbreaking for years (iOS 6-10). Not once I had been hacked or crazy things with banking activities/apps.

Apple Pay is safe with this 13.5 jailbreak. No worries ;)

Gotcha. Is Cydia one of the safe ones?

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
This is what I came here for. I wanted to jailbreak but I needed my banking apps. It needs to be redone each time the phone restarts right? Does that mean with a regular restart or also with springboard restarts?

Yes, it's semi tethered. In case of a reboot, you simply open the jailbreak app and rejailbreak. 2 minutes of your time ;)
But I actually almost never reboot my iPhone.

@bogdanw Cydia nowadays is so incredibly slow, Zebra is what you want to download from Cydia and use Zebra going forward. You can even export all of your repo's and tweaks/app from Cydia to Zebra. And after that leave Cydia for what is.

Zebra is very lighweight and much cleaner UI and faster then Cydia.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I heard that jailbreaking is possible now and was wondering what apps/features are the best?

What is your experience with jailbreaking?

You are going to likely hear a lot of crap and OMG!! stuff from a few folks and claim the hackers / criminals all run it.
It has been a couple of years since I did any JBing - moved to Android for my personal phone. Might give this a shot.
Forum link: https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/ios-jailbreaks.105/

Do some reading and decide if it’s something you want to try.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

I couldn't get it back. I tried everything I knew to do, and some ideas from others, and never got it back. I'm just glad it wasn't my main phone. To me, the desire to be a rebel ended when that happened. Well, and throwing myself into the polluted pool of infecting yourself with who knows what. Just isn't worth it to me.

EDIT: Let me expoind on that for a second. I had an early Windows Phone. The damn updates could break stuff. I never could get SMS or browsing to work, and I think I only ever received one email the entire time I owned it. I was so frustrated with that POS, that when I got my first iPhone, I practically wept when everything was working. I try to keep things working as much as I can. I value a working iPhone. So jail breaking just has no appeal. But for those that do, enjoy...

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2019
got my dad 11 max pro jail broken he likes it especially multiple apps a doc , cercube youtube app and battery percentage instead of battery icon

Reactions: dk001

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
A few reasons I think it's worth jailbreaking:
- Filza gives you an actual file manager
- AutoUnlockX unlocks your device without needing to swipe up
- Frame lets you select a video for your lock screen and home screen wallpapers
- DolpiniOS lets you emulate gamecube and wii games and Provenance lets you emulate SNES games
- Prysm brings back an iOS 10 type control center and is WAY better than the stock one
- Xen HTML and Lockplus Pro give you basically endless customization options for your lock and homscreens

I could be wrong but I suspect many overstate the security risks of jailbreaking. You just need to be cognizant to change your default root password and make sure that you're installing things from trustworthy repos. On a PC you can install basically anything you want but that doesn't mean you should go around downloading a bunch of torrents from random sites.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Yes, it's semi tethered. In case of a reboot, you simply open the jailbreak app and rejailbreak. 2 minutes of your time ;)
But I actually almost never reboot my iPhone.

@bogdanw Cydia nowadays is so incredibly slow, Zebra is what you want to download from Cydia and use Zebra going forward. You can even export all of your repo's and tweaks/app from Cydia to Zebra. And after that leave Cydia for what is.

Zebra is very lighweight and much cleaner UI and faster then Cydia.

I messed with it last night, all my banking apps are fine. I'm still using Cydia. I tried to use ReProvision to get out of the 7 day loop with Altstore but couldn't get it working.

Aside from that, I'm all good.
3416c0fa87c50eb68019b6d8d68b92a8.png

Reactions: Geert76

rocknrolldoggy

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Been ages since I've jailbroken my phone. Would unc0ver bork my Boxer app's MDM? I think years ago there were tweaks to "hide" the jailbreak from MDM apps like this.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Gotcha. Is Cydia one of the safe ones?
You find yourself locked out of your house. It is after hours and getting dark. A white van without ceasing read markings slowly drives down the street towards you with a discreet sign on the side that says, jailbreaking / key replacement while you wait. You wave to the van and he stops besides you. You tell him you can’t get into your house and ask him if he can help. He smiles and says yes, I can. He tells you the price and you pay. The only questions you ask are, how good are you, and how long will it take? He laughs and says 1 hour. He will do the work but, he says you can’t watch what he does. He says he will let you know when he is done. After an hour, he finds you playing on your phone in your car, hands you your new house key and leaves. You can’t believe your luck. You are thrilled to be back inside the house.

A week goes by, and you notice that certain items in the house have gone missing, along with some unauthorized charges on your credit card.

Safe indeed...

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2019
You find yourself locked out of your house. It is after hours and getting dark. A white van without ceasing read markings slowly drives down the street towards you with a discreet sign on the side that says, jailbreaking / key replacement while you wait. You wave to the van and he stops besides you. You tell him you can’t get into your house and ask him if he can help. He smiles and says yes, I can. He tells you the price and you pay. The only questions you ask are, how good are you, and how long will it take? He laughs and says 1 hour. He will do the work but, he says you can’t watch what he does. He says he will let you know when he is done. After an hour, he finds you playing on your phone in your car, hands you your new house key and leaves. You can’t believe your luck. You are thrilled to be back inside the house.

A week goes by, and you notice that certain items in the house have gone missing, along with some unauthorized charges on your credit card.

Safe indeed...
yah that is a pretty big overreaction

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
yah that is a pretty big overreaction
I don’t think so. That kind of thing happens every day, and is no different then people on the forum giving a stranger access to their phone, so he can help them add groovy new features to their phone. The people add apps to their phone without knowing what is going on, while hoping they will be safe using banking apps and other highly sensitive information.

People are asking for trouble, in my opinion.

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2019
I don’t think so. That kind of thing happens every day, and is no different then people on the forum giving a stranger access to their phone, so can he can help them add groovy new features to their phone. The people add apps to their phone without knowing what is going on, while hoping they will be safe using banking apps and other highly sensitive information.
jailbreaking itself isn’t what gives out your information it gives you access to 3rd party apps or tweaks now that is where you have to find reliable tweaks or apps . if you plan to use a tweaked app then you have to beware literally there are sites that review tweaked apps to see if not stealing information plus jailbreaking or even tweaked apps can’t even access your bank account or text as it is encrypted. there have in the past been cases of stolen information mainly emails not passwords and usually then it’s because some jail breakers were trying to get pirated apps which turned out to be modified. so like you said people add apps but most jailbeakers already know whom to trust and sources for safe apps. you make it seem like jailbreaking is giving access to everyone easily. like your little story scare tactic you personally gave the keys to a suspicious person that was your fault not the jailbreak. now if you gave the key to a trustworthy person then what would happen. nothing bad many creator of tweaks aren’t stealing information and jail breaking doesn’t itself take information. scare tactics of yours is not going to change many peoples minds. once more users get used to jailbreaking apple will have to start listening like they usually do and officially add certain things. personally i use jailbreaking for cercube , harbor4 for multiple apps on dock and digital battery for battery percentage.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I really want to jail break my iPhone just for fun. Just to play around. Add some tweaks and features.

But I don’t want to brick it or get my passwords stolen or hacked

Big price to pay if that happens

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.