Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kford

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2020
Don't jailbreak if privacy and security is important to you.

I did Jailbreak without thinking of security issues but soon realised my mistake when my banking app detected the Jailbreak . Straight away thought what if my bank account could be hacked . Straight away removed the Jailbreak and changed my bank password. Have since upgraded to 13.5.1.

Reactions: planteater

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I’m wondering if anyone can help me. I’m at the step where you install AltStore to your iPhone. This is the message that pops up. What should I do?

650cc122ce2a9f6d0f25dcce5aa4c3a8.jpg

waynester

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
I did Jailbreak without thinking of security issues but soon realised my mistake when my banking app detected the Jailbreak . Straight away thought what if my bank account could be hacked . Straight away removed the Jailbreak and changed my bank password. Have since upgraded to 13.5.1.

which bank app detected jailbreak?

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
Lloyds bank App

There’s a tweak you can use called tweakrestrictor that will let you use apps that warn about jailbreak. You don’t have to worry about being hacked as long as you don’t use piracy repos and keep doing the same security protocols you’ve always done, you’re golden.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
A few reasons I think it's worth jailbreaking:
- Filza gives you an actual file manager
- AutoUnlockX unlocks your device without needing to swipe up
- Frame lets you select a video for your lock screen and home screen wallpapers
- DolpiniOS lets you emulate gamecube and wii games and Provenance lets you emulate SNES games
- Prysm brings back an iOS 10 type control center and is WAY better than the stock one
- Xen HTML and Lockplus Pro give you basically endless customization options for your lock and homscreens

I could be wrong but I suspect many overstate the security risks of jailbreaking. You just need to be cognizant to change your default root password and make sure that you're installing things from trustworthy repos. On a PC you can install basically anything you want but that doesn't mean you should go around downloading a bunch of torrents from random sites.

Is Frame free? Got a Repo for that?
How easy is it to get SNES games? Repo for DolpiniOS?
[automerge]1591413067[/automerge]
There’s a tweak you can use called tweakrestrictor that will let you use apps that warn about jailbreak. You don’t have to worry about being hacked as long as you don’t use piracy repos and keep doing the same security protocols you’ve always done, you’re golden.

Is there a place where I can find out if the Repos I have installed are trustworthy?

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
Thank you. Of the dozen Repos I installed the past few days only 1 wasn't listed so I deleted it.

Yeah just stick with the repos off that website and your golden. Also if you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask I’ve been jail breaking since the 3GS LOL. I’m no expert by any means but I’ll do my best haha.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Yeah just stick with the repos off that website and your golden. Also if you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask I’ve been jail breaking since the 3GS LOL. I’m no expert by any means but I’ll do my best haha.

thank you.I'll ask one more question then. Im wanting to install SNES games on my iPhone. If you can link me to a good walk through pages or YT video id greatly appreciate it. Playing Super Mario on my iPhone would just be wonderful.

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
thank you.I'll ask one more question then. Im wanting to install SNES games on my iPhone. If you can link me to a good walk through pages or YT video id greatly appreciate it. Playing Super Mario on my iPhone would just be wonderful.

I found this, apparently no jailbreak is required. Also I never really did any emulation on any of my jailbroken devices LOL.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
Just tried to download Delta within AltStore as stated in the article but upon tapping the download button it states "Could not Find AltServer"

Maybe it's not updated for iOS 13.5?

Could be or you may have to sideload altserver on your phone? This I’m not familiar with

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
This morning I woke up and my iPhone was randomly out of the jailbroken state. I assumed it rebooted overnight, so I tried to run the jailbreak again. It said it was successful, but when my phone restarted, it hung on the apple logo for like 2 minutes, then rebooted again out of the jailbroken state.

This is the second time I’ve had an issue like this, a similar thing happened in May. I’ve only been using popular tweaks. So I just restored back to 13.5 in its native state, it’s not worth the trouble. There’s some cool tweaks, but if I have to troubleshoot my phone every couple weeks, it’s not worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.