Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Home Button
No notch
No face ID
No flickering display
Superior ultra low light viewing even with all the light bleed cuz NO PWM at any brightness level.

Some people think the 2020 iPhones are the best. I definitely don't

You have your opinion like everyone else does. Some people like Ford, others like Chevy. Doesn’t mean it’s all one sided.

Ericdjensen

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield,VA
Home Button
No notch
No face ID
No flickering display
Superior ultra low light viewing even with all the light bleed cuz NO PWM at any brightness level.

Some people think the 2020 iPhones are the best. I definitely don't
I have an 11, came from an 8 plus.
Don’t miss the home button at all
The massive bezels look much worse to me than the notch
Touch ID is indeed faster than face. Don’t really miss it tho
Pretty much all of this is subjective. Doesn’t make either one better

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I would personally wait 2 more months and buy the iPhone 9 or SE2 or whatever it will be called.

Two more months would put you into February, I doubt that’s when the ‘SE2’ will launch, I would probably propose somewhere towards the latter part of March or April, late in the first quarter.

Reactions: Heathcliff4869

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
Still rocking an iPhone 8+ here from 2yrs ago. When one hasn't had the chance to use anything else but, the iPhone 8+ suffices because I probably don't know any better. But the thing is, there's always better, every single year. How much money are you willing to front every year for a different experience? Considering the cost of smartphones these days, I am comfortable with sticking it out for 2-3yrs. The only reason I got a Pixel 3 XL recently is because under contract it only costed me a measly $100 over the course of 2yrs, so to me that's justifiable. My wife is still on her Samsung S7 Edge from 3-4yrs ago that's becoming less and less tolerable, and will probably move to an S10e or XS Max in the next few months. I think to reduce cost, and seeing how powerful phones are, even last year's flagship phones at a more reasonable $500 is a great option.

The 8 series should have another couple years of support, so if you can find one at a value price sure why not.

Reactions: rMBP2013

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2016
Not in my opinion. Why would you not get an XR instead? Much better camera, bigger screen, no bezels, face id, faster etc. When spending that much, is it not better to just go slightly higher for a much better offering?

alphasports

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2019
I recently bought an 8 ($499 CAD/375 US refurbed as new off Amazon with 3 month return policy!) and an 11 Pro (twice actually, returned the first). I prefer FaceID over the button, the 11's cams over the 8's, but am pretty sure I'm gonna return the 11 again, just too bulky and heavy. The 8 (and its predecessors) is just such a great form factor. Performance-wise I notice zero difference; screenwise the 11 is a bit better in some situations but not the game changer all the fanboys rave about. Since I can hold on to both of these for another month before returning (even longer for the 8) I guess I'll hold both for now and see if I can build any love for the 11, but the smarter move would be return both, get an SE2 until the smaller 12 comes out, hopefully with 5.4"/90hz/USB-C/FaceID/smaller notch/same price. Ok, I convinced myself ;)

Reactions: Lucas284

Heathcliff4869

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
Since I can hold on to both of these for another month before returning (even longer for the 8) I guess I'll hold both for now and see if I can build any love for the 11, but the smarter move would be return both, get an SE2 until the smaller 12 comes out, hopefully with 5.4"/90hz/USB-C/FaceID/smaller notch/same price. Ok, I convinced myself ;)
Well according rumors, it doesn't look like Apple is going for USB-C on iPhones. They're planning on going portless in 2021 so I think they will stick to the lightning port in 2020.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.