Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
Here’s a rhetorical question for you, how could someone possibly think the 2020 iPhones are the ‘best’, when no one knows what the 2020 iPhones will even offer/remotely even look like yet.
Cuz they’ll be better than this year’s of course. I think he was going for humor.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Again, I was referring to the $657 iPhone X. Didn't even notice the comment regarding the 11 Pro (which isn't a phone I'd consider buying unless it was $300+ off).

The discount's model specific, anyway. I've been looking for a good deal on a brand new iPhone 8 but sadly, all the deals for those require either new line or trade-in (that or prepaid-locked) and they're practically impossible to find in stock at Apple certified refurbs.

As I said before and I’ll say it again if you don’t want to pay MSRP you can wait for a deal to get ANY phone under MSRP idk how easier I can say that. The 11 pro was only a reference point. It’s called patience

alphasports

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2019
Size ? It’s literally about the same size as the iPhone 8. Weight sure but size ? That makes no sense because you’re arguing over a few millimeters at best. The 11 pro IS in the same foot print as the 8 so you can’t get any bigger.

BTW no phone has 128GB of RAM. You mean storage.

OK "storage", my bad. As for size 11 Pro nowhere close to the 8 in footprint: height, width, thickness, or especially weight. MM's make a difference.

Plett

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2016
Not in my opinion. Why would you not get an XR instead? Much better camera, bigger screen, no bezels, face id, faster etc. When spending that much, is it not better to just go slightly higher for a much better offering?
LOL when did 33% more money become “slightly higher”. Good one.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hello guys,

do you think an iPhone 8 is a good idea to get when you don't wanna break the bank?

Tell me what you think.

Peace.

Well the iPhone 8 Plus still seems to be good enough for Kim Kardashian do with that what you will...
d9d46c5b8ed100cb21b10444a7cd1029.jpg

frank4

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
PC Principal has an iPhone 8.

IMG_0181.jpg

btw this is a picture of TV screen taken with my 8.

It's a good phone and really covers all my needs, but I'm a very light phone user and always around my iPad so that's usually what I use. My 8 (now 4 months old) has poor battery life compared to my heavily used 6 year old iPad Air, but since I don't use the phone much and always near a charger it's not a big deal. 8 is an OK size, I think an SE might be too small for me. I probably should have got an XR but they were a lot more cost at the time.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I have an iPhone 8. Unless you start comparing with the new chipsets, the phone has no flaws in itself if all you want is what it offers.

The moment you begin wanting Face ID, larger screen, no home button, etc. your choices go beyond 8. You might want to look into Xr as well, if it is priced within ballpark.

I am happy with the 8, and even the 7 that I have. Both are fast, fluid, and adequate for my workload I may demand from a device the size of a phone. Battery life is no issue for me either.
[automerge]1576995225[/automerge]
Well the iPhone 8 Plus still seems to be good enough for Kim Kardashian do with that what you will...

You almost turned a perfectly SFW thread into NFSW with that one.. ?
[automerge]1576995298[/automerge]
PC Principal has an iPhone 8.

View attachment 884169

btw this is a picture of TV screen taken with my 8.

It's a good phone and really covers all my needs, but I'm a very light phone user and always around my iPad so that's usually what I use. My 8 (now 4 months old) has poor battery life compared to my heavily used 6 year old iPad Air, but since I don't use the phone much and always near a charger it's not a big deal. 8 is an OK size, I think an SE might be too small for me. I probably should have got an XR but they were a lot more cost at the time.

To me, the phone he's holding seems to be a 4/ 4S. :)

vemac575

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2018
The biggest concern I think you'll have, is how long you can update it. Given it came out with the X, I think if you don't buy it SOON, don't go that early at all.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Tbh, it's getting to the point where it's nice to see the older models out in the wild.

I'll be like Awww that's so cute... You still have the home button.

Reactions: macintoshmac

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I'll still have my 6S in 2020. Likely forever so long as 4G LTE remains available/battery makes it/doesn't get dropped. I'm not the type who needs a new phone very year like some. In fact, I buy Apple devices because they seem to last longer.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I'll still have my 6S in 2020. Likely forever so long as 4G LTE remains available/battery makes it/doesn't get dropped. I'm not the type who needs a new phone very year like some. In fact, I buy Apple devices because they seem to last longer.

I am in the same boat. I will keep both my 7 and 8 as long as there is no 5G in my country/ for as long as that device is supported. These devices, at the moment, serve my needs adequately.

Reactions: arfbsantoso

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
OK "storage", my bad. As for size 11 Pro nowhere close to the 8 in footprint: height, width, thickness, or especially weight. MM's make a difference.

Yeah the iPhone 11pro IS basically the same footprint with only a few millimeters difference. I went from a 6 plus to a 7 because of the size and the only big difference is weight. The 11 pro is IN THE SAME foot print roughly as the 8

da7f6a753457abfc9fb381b737075205.plist

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

Meh. In the states it makes little to no sense if you’re leasing , paying for other carrier installments which let you upgrade early. Assuming pricing stays the same and you upgrade at launch for say an iPhone 11 pro 64GB is $41 a month for a 18 month lease with sprint. The let you upgrade every 12 months with you just needing to send the phone back and you can upgrade. Why keep the 11 pro when the 12 pro is the newer phone at the same price you’ll be paying anyways. This assumes you aren’t getting credits or whatever. Sometimes it’s financially feasible to upgrade vs keeping your phone since a lot of phone purchases here is installments.

That being said I upgraded from the x to the 11 pro because it was cheaper to upgrade then keep my X. I joined sprint and got the x for $20 a month with a $20 credit but only for the 18 month lease duration. After that it would be $41 to keep paying the lease. I did installments this time for the pro for $35. The 11 pro I am going to keep longer because it’s a purchase and happy with the phones looks and because Apple supports it longer then android.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

Most likely because she doesn’t care at all? Her phone is a tool and a means to an end. She has the money to buy 30 iPhone 11 pro max 512gb if she wanted to. That would be like the equivalent of buying 30 $1 dollar cheeseburgers at McDonald’s .... chump change for her.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Most likely because she doesn’t care at all? Her phone is a tool and a means to an end. She has the money to buy 30 iPhone 11 pro max 512gb if she wanted to. That would be like the equivalent of buying 30 $1 dollar cheeseburgers at McDonald’s .... chump change for her.

More like she got her priorities right. Like you said, it’s a tool, a means to an end.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Meh. In the states it makes little to no sense if you’re leasing , paying for other carrier installments which let you upgrade early. Assuming pricing stays the same and you upgrade at launch for say an iPhone 11 pro 64GB is $41 a month for a 18 month lease with sprint. The let you upgrade every 12 months with you just needing to send the phone back and you can upgrade. Why keep the 11 pro when the 12 pro is the newer phone at the same price you’ll be paying anyways. This assumes you aren’t getting credits or whatever. Sometimes it’s financially feasible to upgrade vs keeping your phone since a lot of phone purchases here is installments.

That being said I upgraded from the x to the 11 pro because it was cheaper to upgrade then keep my X. I joined sprint and got the x for $20 a month with a $20 credit but only for the 18 month lease duration. After that it would be $41 to keep paying the lease. I did installments this time for the pro for $35. The 11 pro I am going to keep longer because it’s a purchase and happy with the phones looks and because Apple supports it longer then android.

I paid full price for my 6S.(I live in the States and Apple devices lose value a ton--my 6S only cost $149) And so long as it does everything I ask of it why should I upgrade? I refuse to contribute to environmental waste or care about a phone as some shiny piece of fashion. I might be young but I've always subscribed to the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" I don't replace anything until it breaks or no longer reliably serves my needs. I bet it makes you cringe I still browse sites on my "ancient" PowerBook G4 as well.

I don't like making payments either. I paid full price for my car, truck, even house. I can't understand why anyone would want to jeopardize their credit rating by making payments and have to worry about missing one. Plus interest. No thanks.

Truth is, NO ONE needs a brand new phone every year or even every five years. There's not enough changes even happening to warrant it. The only reason we have gotten this habit in the first place is because we've started looking at phones like pairs of socks. We seem to replace them at the same rate. I don't see them as disposable commodities nor do I care about impressing folks on the street. It's just a tool. No different than a radio or screwdriver. It just happens my iPhone 6S can do a lot more than a single-purpose device, and so long as it continues to do that reliably, I don't see any need to upgrade it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I paid full price for my 6S.(I live in the States and Apple devices lose value a ton--my 6S only cost $149) And so long as it does everything I ask of it why should I upgrade? I refuse to contribute to environmental waste or care about a phone as some shiny piece of fashion. I might be young but I've always subscribed to the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" I don't replace anything until it breaks or no longer reliably serves my needs. I bet it makes you cringe I still browse sites on my "ancient" PowerBook G4 as well.

I don't like making payments either. I paid full price for my car, truck, even house. I can't understand why anyone would want to jeopardize their credit rating by making payments and have to worry about missing one. Plus interest. No thanks.

If you’re paying full price good for you. Most people in the United States don’t. Why shell out $999 for my phone out of pocket when I can do it over the course of 24 months. Easier for me. As for waste how ? It’s not like they go in the garbage ... they refurb them and sell them pre owned. Somebody else gets to use that phone.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
If you’re paying full price good for you. Most people in the United States don’t. Why shell out $999 for my phone out of pocket when I can do it over the course of 24 months. Easier for me. As for waste how ? It’s not like they go in the garbage ... they refurb them and sell them pre owned. Somebody else gets to use that phone.

Oh they do go in the garbage. Most of the time in fact. That's scary when you look into e-waste and do any research into it. E-waste is probably worse than the whole plastic bag thing lately. It costs resources to make it and recycle it. It costs even more when some entitled child tosses our a phone that might still work but is just 'old' to them, or is shattered or even minor scratched.

People here don't repair anything anymore. That's sad. I actually have those skills. I recently repaired my dishwasher. Most folks would call a service man and pay a ton and then have to replace it because service men/women don't even recommend repairing appliances these days. They're treated like disposable dishes in this day and age. I don't do that myself. I learned from my great grandfather the value of repair and holding onto things that continue to work perfectly fine albeit old, and appreciate the savings that come with it.

That iPhone 4 that's in my signature? That one was found in the garbage. I have probably come across a ton of things I still use that were found in garbage cans. Ceramic heaters, lamps, light bulbs, TVs even.

Reactions: macintoshmac

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
Did you just come here to shill your own video lol

it’s a fine buy but at this point I’d recommend the 11.

Reactions: na1577

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010

Truth is, NO ONE needs a brand new phone every year or even every five years. There's not enough changes even happening to warrant it. The only reason we have gotten this habit in the first place is because we've started looking at phones like pairs of socks. We seem to replace them at the same rate. I don't see them as disposable commodities nor do I care about impressing folks on the street. It's just a tool. No different than a radio or screwdriver. It just happens my iPhone 6S can do a lot more than a single-purpose device, and so long as it continues to do that reliably, I don't see any need to upgrade it.

This. So long as our devices perform adequately for our needs, and unless there are improvements that benefit us tangibly, we don't really need to go for anything better, year after year after year after year...

Reactions: nickdalzell1

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015

She also has an 11 Pro.

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
The 8+ is kind of my workhorse phone. It's the one I'm used to, though I have an XR and a Pro Max. But I'm starting to tolerate the screen on the 8+ less and less--the screens on the newer phones are superb. And there is the camera on the Pro Max, it's excellent. Frankly you can't go wrong with any of them. I would pursue the best deal, in the end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.