Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Oh, that was unexpected.

Evernote now supports Sign In With Apple.

F3A2EB3D-3FF8-41E3-AF75-7DC1C5C82BFA.png

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
Oh, that was unexpected.

Evernote now supports Sign In With Apple.

View attachment 967133

hello I need your help.

just sign up Myfitnesspal by SIWA. When I tried to connect Garmin app to Myfitnesspal, it directed to Myfitnesspal logon page without SIWA.

I may use the relay email addr (checked from iOS setting), but I don’t know what password that Apple used for the sign up.

how do I know the passwords of the account that was signed up by SIWA.

or in short, how could I resolve with the above issues?

it seems Myfitnesspal app supports SIWA but not in its web logon page.

BraytonAK

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2011
Clearly SIWA is among the walking dead. Two out of three times that I've tried it I've been hosed. All on brand new accounts for Fing, UPS, and Yelp.

For Fing I ended up creating a traditional login because their participation was only for the iOS app, not the web or desktop version. Their SIWA setup experience was buggy and did things I didn't expect.

For Yelp I created a brand new account using SIWA (for that once or twice a year I tap a Yelp link in Apple Maps), but I haven't used it. I dislike Yelp, anyway.

For UPS MyChoice I should have stopped when I noticed the bugs during sign-up. I had the account fully set up and customized. I realized there was no trace of the password when trying to make changes that required you to sign in again, and it doesn't trigger the Safari "sign in with Apple ID password" prompt. Despite already being IN the account, UPS acted like I was 100% wrong. Digging around in Keychain and Safari Passwords doesn't reveal the password Apple had to have created, although there were two others the same minute as the sign-up that don't help.

The seriously glitchy process and the ability for sites and services to only half-assed participate has caused me to avoid SIWA at all costs, along with all the other options like Facebook, Google, whatever. Just create your own junk mail accounts with aliases if you want some semblance of privacy.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Clearly SIWA is among the walking dead. Two out of three times that I've tried it I've been hosed. All on brand new accounts for Fing, UPS, and Yelp.

For Fing I ended up creating a traditional login because their participation was only for the iOS app, not the web or desktop version. Their SIWA setup experience was buggy and did things I didn't expect.

For Yelp I created a brand new account using SIWA (for that once or twice a year I tap a Yelp link in Apple Maps), but I haven't used it. I dislike Yelp, anyway.

For UPS MyChoice I should have stopped when I noticed the bugs during sign-up. I had the account fully set up and customized. I realized there was no trace of the password when trying to make changes that required you to sign in again, and it doesn't trigger the Safari "sign in with Apple ID password" prompt. Despite already being IN the account, UPS acted like I was 100% wrong. Digging around in Keychain and Safari Passwords doesn't reveal the password Apple had to have created, although there were two others the same minute as the sign-up that don't help.

The seriously glitchy process and the ability for sites and services to only half-assed participate has caused me to avoid SIWA at all costs, along with all the other options like Facebook, Google, whatever. Just create your own junk mail accounts with aliases if you want some semblance of privacy.
Sorry it hasn’t worked out for you. I’ve had both issues and success with it. Despite the issues, I think we should keep using it where it’s supported. SIWA is potentially very beneficial to us customers in terms of both privacy and convenience—if users abandon SIWA because not all developers support it properly, there will be no hope of it ever being supported across the board in the future. Demand should be kept up, to put pressure on it being pushed forward.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Sorry it hasn’t worked out for you. I’ve had both issues and success with it. Despite the issues, I think we should keep using it where it’s supported. SIWA is potentially very beneficial to us customers in terms of both privacy and convenience—if users abandon SIWA because not all developers support it properly, there will be no hope of it ever being supported across the board in the future. Demand should be kept up, to put pressure on it being pushed forward.
I think using SIWA (when it is available and works) is so much better than having to keep up with more usernames and passwords, not to mention it is more secure.

synonys

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
SIWA is definitely not walking dead. It does have issues of third party implementation and client education. But these will be resolved with time and stronger regulation on implementation.

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020

For Yelp I had no problem with SIWA. I was able to create an account with SIWA and use it smoothly.

however, I found a nos of famous app did trick to skip the apple requirement of SIWA. For example, it s web interface support SIWA but later you are required to key in your email addr so that they could send you a validation email.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Is there a way to be able to sign in with Apple on Twitter? I guess Twitter doesn’t meet the criteria for SIWA, but honestly, each time I make an account, Twitter blocks it and asks me for a phone number, and I am tired.

Reactions: UltraInstinct

cola79

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
I have a problem with SIWA, I don’t get the emails from their relay service. The website i signed in wants to send an email for account verification, but it doesn’t arrive.

I already checked my preferences, the email connected to SIWA is correct and active, but seems like Apple doesn’t send anything.

kylew1212

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2017
Huntsville, AL
I've had no issues using SIWA for the services which support it.. Some services have tried to side step it etc, but where it works I've enjoyed it. Strava being an example of it working very nicely.

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
I have a problem with SIWA, I don’t get the emails from their relay service. The website i signed in wants to send an email for account verification, but it doesn’t arrive.

I already checked my preferences, the email connected to SIWA is correct and active, but seems like Apple doesn’t send anything.

normally they would relay the emails, however, for the cases that I manually typed in the Apple ID relay email addr in reply to any request for email validation, i never got a reply.

it seems like the relay service would only forward certain mail content or what.

kylew1212

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2017
Huntsville, AL
Best buy only supports linking accounts to SIWA. Additionally, if Done from the web you cannot hide your email.
I deleted my bestbuy account in plans of switching to SIWA, but it’s a poor implementation on best buys part.. likely so that they can sell our data.

in short to use SIWA on Best Buy you mus:
  • Have/ create regular bestbuy account
  • link SIWA to the account
  • maintain bestbuy password for the account.

I hope that Apple is able to implement something more forceful in the future so that we can begin regaining some sembl of privacy back.

kylew1212

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2017
Huntsville, AL
SIWA seems to have fallen off, don't think it was enforced very well.
It very unfortunate. I think probably due to the App Store lawsuit. I hope that after the lawsuit is ended (or before) SIWA becomes a larger thing because it’s really just the consumer losing out on privacy otherwise.

Many things have introduced support, but not enough. Also its a big enough pain to switch from a username/ password that many likely would not even do it.

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
Best buy only supports linking accounts to SIWA. Additionally, if Done from the web you cannot hide your email.
I deleted my bestbuy account in plans of switching to SIWA, but it’s a poor implementation on best buys part.. likely so that they can sell our data.

in short to use SIWA on Best Buy you mus:
  • Have/ create regular bestbuy account
  • link SIWA to the account
  • maintain bestbuy password for the account.

I hope that Apple is able to implement something more forceful in the future so that we can begin regaining some sembl of privacy back.
Is the compliance required the developer to support both web interface and app.

I found a nos of them would only support either one snd require the new users to validate with email or link with the old account. Effectively it breaks the anonymous features of SIWA.

for example, Quora require email validation while Pinterest only supports linking to old acct in App.

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
SIWA seems to have fallen off, don't think it was enforced very well.

most developers support it partly, either web interface or App. Would it still be compliance with Apple SIWA policy?

most of them have workaround to skip the SIWA anonymous feature, e.g. requiring new users to validate account by email addr or only supporting to link old accounts in App.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hey @ipedro I’m having a weird issue. Some apps, like GardenScapes or HomeScapes, have a weird Sign In with Apple where they ask you to introduce your e-mail and password, not giving you the option to hide your real Apple ID email. Is this allowed? Can they offer Sign In with Apple without offering you to hide your email?

I accepted, thinking that I would be offered to hide my email later, but this didn’t happen and now this developers have my Apple ID addres and, potentially, my password. Should I be afraid? Thank you

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
I accepted, thinking that I would be offered to hide my email later, but this didn’t happen and now this developers have my Apple ID addres and, potentially, my password. Should I be afraid? Thank you
Just wondering: Do the app developers even have any access to the password when using SIWA and not hiding the mail address?

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Just wondering: Do the app developers even have any access to the password when using SIWA and not hiding the mail address?
Well, now that I think about it rationally, I don’t think so. That would be a huge flaw in security. But when I wrote that I was pretty upset and worried. Also, they now have my email adress, I usually don’t give my Apple ID email to avoid spam and such, and now they’ve got it.

Reactions: chris4565

parkds

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
Not sure if this has been addressed over the course of this thread, so please forgive me for re-asking something that has already been covered. Is there any solve (way to log in) to a website that does not support Sign In With Apple even though I created an account on the corresponding app that did offer SIWA? Specifically, I created an account in the ABRP (A Better Route Planner) app using SIWA. I want to edit an upcoming trip via the service's web interface on my computer but ABRP but does not offer a SIWA option on the web.

Thank you for any help with this.

JonnyBlaze

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
UK
Not sure if this has been addressed over the course of this thread, so please forgive me for re-asking something that has already been covered. Is there any solve (way to log in) to a website that does not support Sign In With Apple even though I created an account on the corresponding app that did offer SIWA? Specifically, I created an account in the ABRP (A Better Route Planner) app using SIWA. I want to edit an upcoming trip via the service's web interface on my computer but ABRP but does not offer a SIWA option on the web.

Sorry this may not be very helpful, but I would moan (politely) at the site devs. Explain why siwa is so good and how it encourages you to use their service blah blah... Good luck!

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

The short answer is no!

It’s completely up to the developers if they want to implement Sign In with Apple on their website or not. Apple can’t enforce that since it’s not their platform.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.