Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Flipboard and Globo.com.br (largest Brazilian news site) have added Sign In With Apple on the web.

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 8.02.57 PM.png

IMG_3088.PNG

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
That just looks like a glitch. Apple has tested it working properly before approving the app submission. Try again. I won’t categorise this as a sneaky attempt.

Yelp has updated their app again. And yet again, Sign In With Apple only fails when you use the hidden email. It helpfully asks you to use a real email.

5A4CF331-3AE5-4071-AD05-AB31EC392CD6.png

This has been broken like this since they were forced to add Sign In With Apple and their attempts at getting around it were thwarted.

Sign in with Apple works just fine if you give them your real email. If you don’t realize that this is a deliberate attempt at getting their users to give them your real email, I have a bridge to sell you.

Reactions: JBaby

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Neil Young Archives has begun the process of eliminating Facebook and Google logins from its website. In a message from Neil, he focuses on Facebook and how it is a platform which allows untruths and lies to circulate, while bots sow discord among users. He says this change will cost approximately $ 20,000.

Reactions: ipedro

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Neil Young Archives has begun the process of eliminating Facebook and Google logins from its website. In a message from Neil, he focuses on Facebook and how it is a platform which allows untruths and lies to circulate, while bots sow discord among users. He says this change will cost approximately $ 20,000.
A southern man don’t need him around, but looks like a Northern Man appreciates him haha.

Reactions: Expos of 1969

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
⌘+C ⌘+V

Shazam has once again updated, while maintaining Facebook login without Sign In With Apple.

If Apple can't follow their own rules, I wonder how small, independent developers feel like.

Reactions: Populus

kylew1212

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2017
Huntsville, AL
Recently bought a Withings Wifi scale and signed up in the app using SIWA. Fast forward, I cannot log in on the web browser because they have not yet rolled out web SIWA. Also interesting is that on the web, it's only user name / pass. So they might have gone from nothing to supporting SIWA in the app.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I spoke with the founder of 9to5Mac regarding Disqus not supporting Sign In With Apple and overall being a terrible commenting system, and he said that they're considering changing to WordPress (which does have Sign In With Apple).

Recently bought a Withings Wifi scale and signed up in the app using SIWA. Fast forward, I cannot log in on the web browser because they have not yet rolled out web SIWA. Also interesting is that on the web, it's only user name / pass. So they might have gone from nothing to supporting SIWA in the app.

That’s correct. I noted in a recent post. Withings didn’t have Facebook sign in. They just added Sign In With Apple “to better protect users’ security” according to their update notes.

Oh this is nice and unexpected. Withings Health Mate has added Sign In With Apple. They didn’t need to as there were no other social sign ins. They’ve also added Google for Android devices.
View attachment 938327
One less password in my Keychain.

I’m sure they’ll add it on the web since this was completely voluntary.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Flixster now supports Sign In With Apple

45dobs593cg51.jpg

The number of apps is growing very quickly now. We're at 356 apps identified as working with Sign In With Apple.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Mindbody which many small wellness and fitness businesses use as their scheduling app for classes and personal trainers now supports Sign In With Apple.

3C53E060-5809-4B36-B107-B3D9ECC516D3.png

This one will have a big domino effect down the line as many other apps and websites use the Mindbody API.

Still not supported on the web but I’m sure that’s coming soon because clients who signed up with Sign In With Apple won’t be able to log in on the web and that’ll cause their support staff a headache if not corrected soon.

Reactions: kylew1212

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I know this doesn’t add too much to the thread, but I wanted to let you know this thread is awesome and the work that @ipedro and others are doing is equally awesome. Thanks to you, and to the devs that take Sign-in With Apple so seriously.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I know this doesn’t add too much to the thread, but I wanted to let you know this thread is awesome and the work that @ipedro and others are doing is equally awesome. Thanks to you, and to the devs that take Sign-in With Apple so seriously.

Thanks for the acknowledgment. I had been waiting for years for this to come. There was incomplete code for Sign In With Apple as far back as iOS 11.

Sign in with email and passwords is the biggest cause of hacking, privacy invasion and abuse by developers and loss of data for users and I knew that Apple would have to address this at some point.

It’s so great to see widespread adoption occurring at an accelerating pace now. My brother, who was all Android and anti-Apple since the first iPhone recently changed to iOS and Sign In With Apple and it’s privacy features helped change his mind. He recently changed all of his Google logins to Sign In With Apple.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
FINALLY! Quora now has Sign In With Apple.

0CC3DB95-FDEA-445D-BFFA-D2C00D58B057.jpeg

Quora does ask you for your email after you sign up. So a trick is to choose the relay email in the setup, then go to your settings > profile > passwords > Apps using Apple ID > Quora and copy your relay email from there.

The account setup process is very extensive and tedious. They ask you to set up a password and you’re forced to choose your interests in order to finish setting up the account. It looks like they have no intention of putting it on the web and you’ll just have to sign in on the web with the relay email and password you set up.

Anyway, it’s good to have one less app in the Top Outstanding Apps list.

Last edited:
Reactions: valdikor

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Apple seems to have backed off on their zero tolerance policy in approving apps, Gaia GPS already updated twice since Sign In With Apple became mandatory and neither of them added the feature, even though these were not bug updates. Apple's own Shazam has notoriously averted following their own rules.

This softer touch probably comes in light of accusations of being a monopoly. The last thing they need is another high profile fight over app rejections.I guess the next deadline we're looking forward to is iOS14. Most apps will have to update for the new OS so we should see another wave of additions to Sign In With Apple then.

kylew1212

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2017
Huntsville, AL
Apple seems to have backed off on their zero tolerance policy in approving apps, Gaia GPS already updated twice since Sign In With Apple became mandatory and neither of them added the feature, even though these were not bug updates. Apple's own Shazam has notoriously averted following their own rules.

This softer touch probably comes in light of accusations of being a monopoly. The last thing they need is another high profile fight over app rejections.I guess the next deadline we're looking forward to is iOS14. Most apps will have to update for the new OS so we should see another wave of additions to Sign In With Apple then.

I agree with you.
We have a large number of apps supporting SIWA now. I wish there were more, but we need it spread more on the web at this point IMO.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I agree with you.
We have a large number of apps supporting SIWA now. I wish there were more, but we need it spread more on the web at this point IMO.

I think it will inevitably spread all over the web. As apps add it, their users will expect to find the same login on the web. Once there’s a critical mass on the web, users will just expect it and every site will feel compelled to add it.

Reactions: kylew1212 and JBaby

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
FINALLY! Quora now has Sign In With Apple.

View attachment 947184

Quora does ask you for your email after you sign up. So a trick is to choose the relay email in the setup, then go to your settings > profile > passwords > Apps using Apple ID > Quora and copy your relay email from there.

The account setup process is very extensive and tedious. They ask you to set up a password and you’re forced to choose your interests in order to finish setting up the account. It looks like they have no intention of putting it on the web and you’ll just have to sign in on the web with the relay email and password you set up.

Anyway, it’s good to have one less app in the Top Outstanding Apps list.

Quora s SIWA didn’t work. For app, SIWA would loop forever.

for web access, there is no SIWA button and has to logon with the relay email. Not even work with the touchid and saved passwords feature of Safari.

hence the SIWA sign up is just to provide you a relay email addr for you completing the sign up process. At the end it is actually logon with email and offer no convenience of signing in with One AppleID for all accounts.

pls check.

Felt like Quora did not really want to comply with SIWA.

Last edited:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Quora s SIWA didn’t work. For app, SIWA would loop forever.

for web access, there is no SIWA button and has to logon with the relay email. Not even work with the touchid and saved passwords feature of Safari.

hence the SIWA sign up is just to provide you a relay email addr for you completing the sign up process. At the end it is actually logon with email and offer no convenience of signing in with One AppleID for all accounts.

pls check.

Felt like Quora did not really want to comply with SIWA.

Yes, I noticed. Quora, Yelp, Pinterest and others using workarounds are going to find themselves increasingly cornered as Apple closes those loopholes and rolls out benefits exclusive to Sign In With Apple such as App Clips. Meanwhile, I won’t use them. I may never come back. They’ll lose their customers looking for those conveniences.

Reactions: JBaby

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
Yes, I noticed. Quora, Yelp, Pinterest and others using workarounds are going to find themselves increasingly cornered as Apple closes those loopholes and rolls out benefits exclusive to Sign In With Apple such as App Clips. Meanwhile, I won’t use them. I may never come back. They’ll lose their customers looking for those conveniences.

I have no problem with Yelp. They did no trick. But Quora obviously tried to trick SIWA implementations.

Are these so called workaround complying with Apple s requirements? Could we report these non compliance to Apple?

For better visibility to other users, possible to mark these false SIWA implement in the lists on the top page of this thread?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Agreed! It’s a bit weird that it doesn’t. I hope that changes soon. I never use the official app.
I emailed the developer and he told me how to accomplish it. Since you are familiar with Apollo and this is day one for me, how to do see all your subscribed subreddits in the app?

—————————-
to log in with SIWA

f you hit create account in Apollo then sign in instead, then tap the Done button in the browser, then tap Sign In and it should remember your account.

Reactions: Populus and JBaby

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
I emailed the developer and he told me how to accomplish it. Since you are familiar with Apollo and this is day one for me, how to do see all your subscribed subreddits in the app?

—————————-
to log in with SIWA

f you hit create account in Apollo then sign in instead, then tap the Done button in the browser, then tap Sign In and it should remember your account.

The I so it’s the same procedure used when you want to answer a poll. Are you asking me now to see all subscribed subs or was that the other think you asked?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The I so it’s the same procedure used when you want to answer a poll. Are you asking me now to see all subscribed subs or was that the other think you asked?
I have subscribed to two sub reddit’s thus far and would like to be able to see a list of all my subscribed subreddits so I can tap on the subscribed subreddits and it would take me to the latest post.

Edited to add: I found it in Apollo. Thanks just the same. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.