Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

hiro_hamada

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2017
Just double checking - If you convert your existing account to SIWA, for example Pinterest, Adobe or eBay, do you still need to keep your old password? Is there a scenario when you'll still need that "old" password, or can I freely delete it from my 1Password.

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
Flipboard now on board.
B76E01A9-F673-4D5E-97C0-A945C951AAB4.png

Reactions: pork-bun and ipedro

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Just double checking - If you convert your existing account to SIWA, for example Pinterest, Adobe or eBay, do you still need to keep your old password? Is there a scenario when you'll still need that "old" password, or can I freely delete it from my 1Password.

That’s a good question. Apps that maintain passwords and simply link your Apple ID to your account would still use the username/email plus a password as your master login. If you for example wanted to change your password for logging in to a Windows PC, you’d likelyneed your password. If you wanted to log into a site whose app has Sign In With Apple but not on the web or on Android, you’d need your password.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Oh this is nice and unexpected. Withings Health Mate has added Sign In With Apple. They didn’t need to as there were no other social sign ins. They’ve also added Google for Android devices.
2285533A-3FE5-4318-B381-2B181814351E.png
One less password in my Keychain.

Reactions: TimFL1

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
View attachment 938417

FollowMyHealth has supported it for a while but just noticed they were not on the list. Also supported for web login.

Thanks for the heads up. I've added it!

I'm finding more and more apps and sites that support Sign In with Apple and have probably supported it for a while. It's just organic discovery now. Ultimately, every app that has had Facebook log in — numbered in the tens of thousands — will have to add Apple's sign in. We've only discovered 337 so there are definitely many more out there that we've missed.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Another big one. Imgur is on board.

527AF265-92D4-4FDE-B8A2-AB982CBBAFAC.png
that said. They’re totally breaking Apple’s UI rules. Facebook shouldn’t be the prominent button

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Do you think that Instagram will adopt SIWA, since they offer the Facebook button?

Could they argue it's owned by FB so it's their own sign in?

Not only could they argue, that’s exactly how it is. Instagram is a Facebook app, just like Messenger, WhatsApp and the Facebook app itself. That’s their own login.

I don’t expect IG or any Facebook app to add Sign In With Apple since Apple is specifically targeting Facebook and their tracking of users across the entire web. That would be like Imperial Japan blowing up their own cities with America’s bomb.

Reactions: akash.nu and JBaby

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
It’s been a month since Sign In With Apple became mandatory. Which apps are you still waiting for?

Quora - Even though I don’t use it on purpose, it’s often shown in search results. I don’t want to create a traceable account.

OpenTable - I won’t use it again until they offer Sign In With Apple. Good thing we’re not booking a lot of dinner reservations these days.

Yelp and Cineplex - Even though both already have the Sign In With Apple button, neither of them work.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
OpenTable now supports Sign In With Apple.

30F58BEE-5A4F-48E7-98CE-0BF2DA1516D1.png

...and Cineplex has fixed Sign In With Apple which now works.

Yelp continues to have a broken Sign In With Apple if you choose the hidden email option. If you give them your email, it miraculous works just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: pork-bun

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'm waiting for Nike Training Club and Duolingo!

Duolingo removed social media logins from their app’s main screen. They’re hiding it deep in the settings menu. It’s clear they’re using a loophole to get out of adding Sign In With Apple. I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Reactions: JBaby

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Day One has Sign In With Apple even though they didn’t have Facebook or Google sign in. It’s good to see developers taking the initiative to protect their users’ privacy.

E273EA6D-0009-4BD7-9053-DB59409D0F07.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.