Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
I have subscribed to two sub reddit’s thus far and would like to be able to see a list of all my subscribed subreddits so I can tap on the subscribed subreddits and it would take me to the latest.

094b96eb441da9fc52035af11d3a65c0.png

You can also set Apollo to always start up in Home. It’s in settings under General.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I have no problem with Yelp. They did no trick.

Yes, they did. The “trick” Yelp does is to use cookies to link your ‘anonymous’ account to a previous account with a known email address and then they know your real email and can track you even though you requested to be hidden. This is well documented in this thread. If you don’t have an old account or deleted it, Sign In With Apple will not work if you choose an anonymous email. Yelp is doing their hardest to get around your requests for privacy by using loopholes in Sign In With Apple and when they can’t, they won’t let you sign in and tell you to use an email.

You “have no problem with Yelp” because they’re successfully tracking you to your real email. Try to hide your email from your known account and they’ll “break” Sign In With Apple so that you give them a real email to track.

4B91C9E2-4F5A-4820-922B-F88436ABF4A5.jpeg

Attachments

• A14EBF2D-0EDC-4CB2-AB12-4E64E931D1D8.jpeg
    A14EBF2D-0EDC-4CB2-AB12-4E64E931D1D8.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 262
Reactions: JBaby

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Did we mention Deliveroo doesn’t let you hide your email address either?

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
Yes, they did. The “trick” Yelp does is to use cookies to link your ‘anonymous’ account to a previous account with a known email address and then they know your real email and can track you even though you requested to be hidden. This is well documented in this thread. If you don’t have an old account or deleted it, Sign In With Apple will not work if you choose an anonymous email. Yelp is doing their hardest to get around your requests for privacy by using loopholes in Sign In With Apple and when they can’t, they won’t let you sign in and tell you to use an email.

You “have no problem with Yelp” because they’re successfully tracking you to your real email. Try to hide your email from your known account and they’ll “break” Sign In With Apple so that you give them a real email to track.

View attachment 950872
Strange!

I am new to Yelp. I had no old account for Yelp. I signed up Yelp with Apple ID in Aug and had no problem at all. I was able to hidden my AppleID email addr.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
There’s been a notable slow down. I guess every developer is getting their apps ready for iOS 14. We should see another surge at the end of the month.

And on the initial motivation for this thread, I’m more motivated than ever to see iOS move away from Facebook sign ins entirely. I hope that with Sign In With Apple, Facebook sign in gets banned. The amount of data they take you from you, tracking you outside of the Facebook app is grounds enough to get them pulled.

Reactions: BulkSlash

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Evernote rebuilt their app from scratch (definitely not just a bug update) and they’ve not added Sign In With Apple while keeping Google. Someone in the App Store review team was deeply asleep when they approved this. ?

0EF9BC2E-BFD8-4927-889B-D3B87060558C.jpeg B3C48DC1-FCA9-470D-A6EB-022A0ABD4456.png

Reactions: Populus

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Evernote rebuilt their app from scratch (definitely not just a bug update) and they’ve not added Sign In With Apple while keeping Google. Someone in the App Store review team was deeply asleep when they approved this. ?

View attachment 954083 View attachment 954084
They don't really care and neither do millions of users. You are backing a losing horse, heading for the glue factory not the winner's circle.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Another app, Kanopy, was approved today, which uses Facebook and Google sign ins but does not have Sign In With Apple.

0924CF36-40ED-4C5E-9246-C96556D32995.jpeg

Apple has clearly given up on enforcing the rules.

[EDIT] Probably because they don’t follow the rules themselves:

954CF030-B6B8-4564-BD35-63DA1929D3A7.jpeg

Last edited:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Shazam has been updated. It no longer uses a sign in at all. It links to your Apple Music to synchronize Shazam’d songs. There is no Sign In With Apple.

Apple have preserved Facebook in the app to import old accounts. I guess this is a way around their own rules. Perhaps this import feature will be phased out as they remove Facebook entirely from the app.

4E82197E-A4DF-430E-9A49-31C2B002E895.png

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Shazam has been updated. It no longer uses a sign in at all. It links to your Apple Music to synchronize Shazam’d songs. There is no Sign In With Apple.

Apple have preserved Facebook in the app to import old accounts. I guess this is a way around their own rules. Perhaps this import feature will be phased out as they remove Facebook entirely from the app.

View attachment 959947
Interesting. I guess now we know why Apple took so long to bring it up to date with the rules.

Reactions: JBaby and ipedro

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Interesting. I guess now we know why Apple took so long to bring it up to date with the rules.

Yes. Looks like it was a complex transition. But so were other developers’ cases. Why does Apple get to ignore the rules because “they’re hard” while enforcing it on others? The hypocrisy is thick.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Yes. Looks like it was a complex transition. But so were other developers’ cases. Why does Apple get to ignore the rules because “they’re hard” while enforcing it on others? The hypocrisy is thick.

It doesn't look brilliant, I admit. Still, in a world where Evernote apparently gets a pass as well...

Least they could have done is said something I guess.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018
May I suggest that a wiki category be added that includes developers who support upgrading existing accounts to use Sign In with Apple.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
And people are surprised? Time to face reality about the mighty Apple and its "values", promises and "concerns" about its customers.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
No clue why everyone rambles on about Shazam not supporting SIWA... them supporting FB sign in was ridiculous anyways.
Shazam doesn‘t need any account system, the way they handle it now with syncing directly to a library is way superior and more user friendly than requiring an account that served no real purpose.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
No clue why everyone rambles on about Shazam not supporting SIWA... them supporting FB sign in was ridiculous anyways.
Shazam doesn‘t need any account system, the way they handle it now with syncing directly to a library is way superior and more user friendly than requiring an account that served no real purpose.

While I agree with this it’s still hypocritical of  to not follow their own rules.

Reactions: ipedro

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
May I suggest that a wiki category be added that includes developers who support upgrading existing accounts to use Sign In with Apple.

Good idea. I’ve considered that but have unfortunately found myself without much free time lately so I can’t curate a new list. You’re welcome to add it to the Wiki. I don’t know of any apps that offer this yet.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018
Good idea. I’ve considered that but have unfortunately found myself without much free time lately so I can’t curate a new list. You’re welcome to add it to the Wiki. I don’t know of any apps that offer this yet.
Sorry, but how do I edit the wiki? Do you know?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sorry, but how do I edit the wiki? Do you know?
It might be necessary to request for this thread to be converted to a Wiki thread (could probably by done via the use of the Report button on the first post to ask moderators to do it).

Reactions: purdnost

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
It might be necessary to request for this thread to be converted to a Wiki thread (could probably by done via the use of the Report button on the first post to ask moderators to do it).

I is a wiki thread and has been all along. Just use the edit button to edit the original post (see my screenshot)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 23.40.35.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 23.40.35.png
    229.1 KB · Views: 154
Reactions: purdnost

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018
I’ve updated the wiki to include a section for developers that allow for conversion of existing accounts. So far, the count is zero. Hoping that changes soon.

Reactions: ipedro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.