Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cmhrob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2023
Hi all. I have an Apple Watch Series 4 (battery replaced last year), 2021 M1 iPad, and an iPhone 14 Pro Max. Since I got my 14PM a month ago, I have essentially stopped using my iPad. Two days ago, I made the decision to stop using my Apple Watch (got tired of having to charge it) and buy a nice analog watch.

I’m 50 and I feel like I want to simplify or minimize the number of devices I use. My 14PM seems to do everything I need (I have a Kindle for reading).

I’m interested to hear if anyone else has decided to reduce the number of devices they use and take a more simple route.

Thank you.

Last edited:

JerseyDoug

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
I'm 66. I have an iPhone, apple Watch, MacBook Pro and an iPad. I could give up the watch. I prefer my 35 year old GMT Master. I use the iPad when I practice the drums. When it dies, I doubt I replace it. I use the MacBook Pro for web surfing, watching movies, doing taxes, spreadsheets, etc.

So, to answer your question, I've not reduced the number of devices. Well, we did get rid of the TV and associated cable bill. So, I have reduced devices, just not Apple devices.

Reactions: ratspg and jchap

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I'm 46, only have really my iPhone 12 and my AW6. I have an old iPad but its that old it has the 30 pin connector so it barely runs anything and is basically used as a video player in the car for my young daughter with VLC viewer running and thats about it.

I work in IT in a college so spend all day on a PC, fixing IT stuff etc so when my last laptop died a death at home i never replaced it. It was only running Plex half the time anyway. Most of my usage i can do via my iPhone or work PC if required and as a last resort my wife's works android tablet.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
I've been going as "simple" as it gets ever since I got my first Apple device (an iPad mini 5)... Just an iPad. That is my only main device. I'm not even in my 20s, and all I ever use daily is an iPad. It makes me think how much simpler my lineup will be when I actually get older... maybe I'll ditch the iPad and use library computers.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I think its normal with time to feel like there are too many devices in your life. There is no harm in reducing the numbers based on your specific use case. The iPhone is Apple’s hook into the ecosystem anyway, so in most cases it actually just suffices pretty much all the requirements for a normal user.

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
I very recently (not by choice) cut down my devices.
Got rid of my iPad Air M1 with Magic Keyboard, Razer Book 13, then sold my iPhone 12 Pro and upgraded to a 14 Pro Max.
I do miss the iPad, but the extra screen of the Max makes it more bearable. Especially with it being my only portable computing device, you can’t really class my 15 inch MSI gaming laptop as portable and the desktop definitely isn’t.

I do think I’ll cave as soon as my life is back on track and end up with another iPad though.
I miss the pencil support more than anything as it made signing documents and note taking so much easier.

John981

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
I had a MacBook, an iPad, an iPhone and an Apple Watch at one point but I‘m trying to reduce the amount of devices I have and get away from Apple devices where I feel like I don‘t need them.

The MacBook has already been replaced and I‘m on the fence about the iPad and Apple Watch. I feel like I barely use both of them and could easily use my notebook for anything the iPad does and a normal watch for everything the Apple Watch does (for me).

The iPhone is more difficult, I like Apple‘s phones but if their pricing continues to go up in price I will probably eventually stop buying them. The 14 for 1000€ is a joke and the Pro for 1300€ is getting ridiculously expensive, especially with storage upgrades.

• Love

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
I am 78 and have the AW 5 in stainless steel, polished gold. I ride my bike (avatar) through the back roads of the Bay Area. The most important feature for me is the fall detection. If I have a problem and cannot get to my iPhone in my pocket, then I can use the watch to signal for help. Heart rate monitor and ECG are next. I use a simple watch face for time and temperature.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I’m 42 not that it matters, but everybody’s been mentioning their age and I wanna be one of the cool kids lol.

I haven’t minimized how many devices I have, but I have simplified how I use them. I have an iPhone 14 Pro, an M1 iMac, M2 iPad Pro, and an Apple Watch Series 5 stainless steel. I don’t look at my phone in the morning, but I do check it a few times throughout the day, but I try to not mindlessly scroll. I’ve taken all social media off my phone (good for my mental health), and turned off notifications.

My Apple Watch Series 5 is still going strong and I really don’t see the need to replace that anytime soon even though the Apple Watch Ultra looks very tempting lol.

I’m still on the fence over how much my iPad is necessary given that most of the work I do is on my iMac.

dharushan411

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2018
London, England
I'm 27, currently have a 2021 14-inch MBP, AW Series 3 and iPhone 13 mini.

Never had an inclination for an iPad, just thought that the MBP could do already everything an iPad could do, and seems like I will feel this way as I get older.

Used to not wear a watch before, but got the Series 3 in 2019 for a decent price and it's a useful little device beyond telling the time.

Will hold onto the 13 mini for as long as I can - that was an upgrade from the 6S Plus that I first got in 2018 (my first iPhone).

But that's just me!

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Finally cut iPad out after starting with the mini 4 back in 2016–great devices but not essential for me (and arguably for many others). My MacBook, iPhone, and Apple Watch Series 6—the next and hopefully last to be upgraded for a while—do all I need and more :)

driftmr2

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2009
Broomfield, CO
39 here and work as a Product Designer. I try to keep my personal life pretty simple in regards to tech: 12.9” iPad Pro M1 w/ MKB as my primary device. It’s a pro for me that the iPad doesn’t feel like a computer since I am on one all day for work. I use Studio Display primarily for my design work. Still use a iPhone XR that I never have to worry about. Kinda over chasing high priced phones so if I had to replace it maybe a used iPhone 12/13 Mini. I enjoy using AirPods 3 in the gym, and a ATV HD mainly for AirPlay. I have a work issued 13” MacBook Pro M2 but I shut it down after hours.

Last edited:

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
One of the reasons I bought my iPad Pro was because I was using a 12 mini as my portable device. The screen was just too small to do any real work on. I loved this combo, but since upgraded to the 14 Pro, my iPad usage dropped significantly. Instead of taking my iPad to work with me, I just take my portable keyboard with my iPhone and get any spreadsheets, word processing, and whatever else done. The larger iPad screen is still nice for this, but no longer necessary (I could get all that done with the 12 mini too, but it was a bit hard on my eyes).

I still use the iPad as a laptop replacement, but I also recently got a Mac mini for some hobby work. So my iPad is kind of in an awkward place where it’s nice to have, just I don’t think I’ll be replacing it. And, wouldn’t really mind selling it if it came to that.

I also have a nice analog watch, but at this point, I still prefer wearing my AW Ultra. It’s nice being able to leave my iPhone at home and still be available for phone calls, messages and have Apple Pay available.

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
Hi all. I have an Apple Watch Series 4 (battery replaced last year), 2021 M1 iPad, and an iPhone 14 Pro Max. Since I got my 14PM a month ago, I have essentially stopped using my iPad. Two days ago, I made the decision to stop using my Apple Watch (got tired of having to charge it) and buy a nice analog watch.

I’m 50 and I feel like I want to simplify or minimize the number of devices I use. My 14PM seems to do everything I need (I have a Kindle for reading).

I’m interested to hear if anyone else has decided to reduce the number of devices they use and take a more simple route.

Thank you.
I feel im the exact same as you. (except im 25 years old).

I got a 13 Pro Max and a 14in Macbook Pro and dont need anything else. iPad is useless since my 13 Pro Max is big enough and if I want something bigger ill grab my Macbook. Apple watch is also useless since Ill just check my phone for notifications and I keep myself in shape easily without it. I instead bought myself a nice automatic seiko (36mm very classy sized watch).

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Meh I've always tried to keep my personal self simplified. Devices are great for connecting with people but I tend not overdo it and not be a slave to the device. I have a iPad mini and iphone, ipad mostly just for consumption while watching TV or not, or travelling for sure. Most of my time is spent on my main desktop computer. Where I will spend hours there working and whatnot. Run my own small business so I don't mind. If I worked for someone else I wouldn't spend that much time there. Almost at the half century mark myself.

I bought a motorcycle a few years ago, that keeps me more entertained and engaged then these dumb devices would.

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
Completely agree with this. I'm on the same journey. I still have the entire device portfolio in my signature as it stands. I actually started writing down what I'm doing with devices and splitting things into healthy and unhealthy things from a social and time perspective. I also wrote down things I lost and things I gained and worked out what was good and what wasn't. I went as far as collating health data over the last 2 years and seeing if there was any correlation between device ownership and health. Some findings. And this might hurt fanboys a little. Sorry. It hurts me too.

Apple Watch - there is no positive correlation with it and any health improvements at all in my life. In fact I suspect the calorie tracking is detrimental to my health and weight because after periods of exercise it tricks you into thinking that you have a massive and probably inaccurate calorie deficit. I do fairly extreme hikes and it'll tell me I've burned 5000 calores in a day. I don't know if that's true or not but I don't need to cover that calorie deficit! On top of that it's a bit of a nag whenever I get in the car. It helpfully suggests I might be going somewhere I'm not. Also it allows people to tap me on the arm when my phone is in my pocket. Conclusion: going. Net negative. I didn't wear a watch before apart from an occasional Casio F-91W when out hiking for rough time tracking. I will return to that universe.

iPad Pro - this is the worst waste. It is only better than the macbook at anything which involves a pen really. And I can do that with a pen and just scan it or take a photo. I feel more connected to that as well and therefore I spend more time on it. Every other app and the environment on the iPad is inferior to the Mac. It serves only one purpose which is acting as a convenient device for watching Udemy videos as I'm playing my piano. But that's not a reason to keep it. Conclusion: going. Net negative.

MacBook Pro
- I'm sitting in bed writing this now on it. I shouldn't be, which is another problem. It's a love-hate relationship. The display is definitely the best display on the market on a laptop. The thing is cold and fast. The battery life is fairly good. But I'm falling out of love with the keyboard, which I find difficult to use for sustained periods. The USB-C only ports aka missing USB-A is a perpetual problem for me. And macOS, particularly on ARM is starting to be problematic. And then there's the cost. Plus, paired with the studio display I have, it spends 90% of its time as a desktop. I thought about replacing it with an M2 Pro mini. But it's too expensive really. I have another thread on this but it's realistically less useful for my workloads (software development) than a windows machine is. In fact I find most of my days, I am spending 80% of my time on an Intel 12400 desktop that cost me 22% of the price of the macbook pro and I am much much more productive. I only return to the mac to do tasks now which are fairly light weight. Conclusion: going. Not a good return of investment.

Studio Display
- I put it next to my 27" 4k Iiyama and opened the same photo side by side. The Studio Display hurts because it's not that much better. The Iiyama cost me £359. The Studio Display over 4x that. Even scarier I have a Dell 24" 1920x1200 IPS panel plugged into the desktop PC and I find it far less fatiguing using that than the Studio Display. The Dell cost 1/8th of the price of the Studio Display. In fact it wasn't much more than just the AppleCare on the studio display! Conclusion: going. Not a good return of investment

iPhone 13 Pro - Initially I bought this because of the camera and was mostly happy. Until I started actually getting back into photography. Then I started to see what an abysmally awful camera experience it is. Figured I don't need a good camera on a phone and if I do want to do any photography apart from casual stuff, I can stick my tiny mirrorless in my pocket. I also have perpetual problems with FaceID. I bought a Google Pixel 6A a while ago to trial as a replacement. It got 90% of the way there for a lot less money. The camera with direct side by side comparisons and fingerprint sensor were actually better. I was shocked. The only thing that got me back to the iPhone was the ecosystem lock in, which raised a good point: perhaps the value here is the ecosystem. In the short term though the Pixel is gone. I will evaluate keeping this 13 Pro vs the Pixel 7a when that comes out. I'll be up money. Conclusion: in review.

Ecosystem
- I took this to pieces and broke it down into rational tasks than I do. I looked at what tasks I do for necessity, convenience and through obligation. My only real ecosystem gains were as follows:

1. Apple Music. Quite frankly it's pretty good. When it's not buggy or broken, which is a shrinking amount of time.
2. Um, thats it. Everything else is replaceable.

Where is 2023 taking me...

Well mostly to eBay. I will most likely start selling devices as soon as possible to get the most return, starting with the iPad and watch. I am slowly transitioning over to a standalone PC desktop (Lenovo Neo 50s / Intel 12400 / 32Gb RAM / 1TB Samsung 980 pro disk) running Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC, Office 365, Lightroom and a hefty Linux virtual machine. Phone will remain the iPhone 13 Pro for the near future but I will be investigating replacements.

Quite frankly I can afford to remain in the ecosystem but if I dump the whole lot I'm a couple of months up on mortgage payments or up a couple of weeks on holiday somewhere nice and I'm not down on anything other than street cred on macrumors 🤣

I will also be free of distractions, rumors, the upgrade mill and importantly decreasing risks.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I will also be free of distractions, rumors, the upgrade mill and importantly decreasing risks.
Probably the best reason to move away from the ecosystem 🤣

I agree with a lot of your opinions. Especially with what you said about your iPhone. I bought my 14 Pro because all the reviews I read were talking about how good the camera is, and it can replace your standalone camera.

The camera isn’t bad for a phone, but it’s definitely not replacing my DSLR. Battery life aside, I’d be perfectly happy going back down to my 12 mini - and have been regretting selling it since I got my 14 Pro. After considering the decreasing value, the case, screen protector and AC+, then considering buying a new mini, case, screen protector and AC+, I’m not really sure it’s worth it to go back, might end up losing money on the downgrade.

The Apple Watch - you’re probably right. I’ve been focused on losing some weight before my wedding this summer. The AW may or may not be keeping me motivated. A few years back, I hit my goal weight just fine without any kind of tracker. It’s nice to go out without my iPhone and still be connected to messages and phone calls, but at the same time, all it really is - is just another screen for my iPhone.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Intel 2020 MBA, iPhone 11.

No other digital devices (well, TV, surround system etc but no other portable ones).

Don't wear a watch, no need for an iPad. Stopped buying digital cameras when I got the 6S, and sold the one I had. I'll replace my laptop and phone as and when they become too slow/obsolete. Won't do without either of those.

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
I'm a tad older than the OP but have been using email and Macintosh since the 80's and now have occasional use of some grunt.

MBP 16 M1max and iPhone 12Pro are sufficient, maybe more than sufficient but no apparent itch to upgrade.

iPhone goes with me almost everywhere, providing music, camera and comms (email, WhatsApp, sms, FB and occasionally a phone cal) and MBP does the heavy lifting as well as any need I have for consuming video etc. MBP is also portable so I can take it on my travels.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I like my gadgets, especially if one or more can make my day to day smoother and the Apple Watch and iPhone do just that. I would be thrilled if I could get by with just my watch every day. My iPad Pro gets used mostly for work a few times a week while my 2 MBA Airs are used at home.

Reactions: I7guy

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan

Thank you.

I got rid of my watch a few years back. I found it annoying due to the bugs (notifications constantly a few seconds late and the AW constantly ringing after the call is answered on the phone).

I use my iPad for task specific needs: controlling hardware or using it in ForeFlight. Not much else.

I use a MacPro at work and my MBA at home.

That’s about it.

Reactions: Danfango

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I use my MacBook Pro M1 Max 16, iPad Pro M1, AMD threadripper workstation with 4090 for work. Aw6 and 13 PM iPhone for anything personal consumption.

alanvitek

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2021
Interesting thread! Figured I’d chip in my $0.02

I have a MBP, iPhone 12 mini, AW4 and an iPad Mini.

I use the iPad the least (mostly for drawing) and use the MacBook the most.

I’d love to ditch the iPhone one day and only have the AW for communication stuff. We’re just not quite there yet but I hope one day it won’t require an iPhone for setup/usage.

I’d like to use the iPad more, but I haven’t figured out a good routine yet. It’s a lovely device though.

Last edited:

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Thank you.
I own tons of gadgets and computers. So, I'm probably the wrong person to talk about wholesale consolidating devices. However, I have a prospective that may be similar to what you're looking for:

1. I've owned an Apple Watch at two different non-consecutive times. One was back before the Series 1 and Series 2 jointly arrived on the scene. The second was with a Series 1 at the time when the Series 3 was all the rage. Each time, I tried it, found that it helped me with a couple of things, but was more of a hassle than I cared for, so I discontinued using it and then it became abandoned. It's possible that I might see if a cellular watch might offer me the long-desired ability to leave the house and not worry about leaving my phone at home, while still otherwise being reachable and to make emergency calls if necessary. But, honestly, that's probably the best chance the Apple Watch has at luring me back.

2. I've owned Apple TVs from the second generation through the fourth generation (aka Apple TV HD). I loved the second and third generation, but found that tvOS just wasn't doing it for me. I found all the functionality I wanted out of the $50 Chomecast (4K) with Google TV and found that I just didn't enjoy using my Apple TV at all anymore.

3. I've been an iPad user in one form or another since the first generation iPad. However, since the iPad mini came about, I've just found myself losing interest in the "full-sized" 9.7-11-inch iPads. I've owned three different iPad Air generations that I've found myself just not using all that much because I use my iPad mini instead. I enjoy my 4th Generation iPad Air a lot. It's a great tablet even in an era when M1 iPads seem to be getting all of the fuss and features in new iPadOS releases. It feels weird to say because that size of iPad seems so iconic compared to the mini and the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, but the Air and the 11-inch Pro and iPads of that general size are just not as much my jam.

In all of these three cases, I've adopted an Apple product, whether because I thought it was cool, or because I had used it in the past, and in all three cases, I determined that I either just didn't need it or that it wasn't the best device to suit those needs. tvOS frustrates me and while the current Apple TV is the best deal that any of the tvOS Apple TVs have ever been, I just don't see the value in it when a Chromecast costing $10 less than a replacement Apple TV remote does everything I need it to and better. I don't hate the Apple Watch; I just found it an extra chore to wear and didn't find that it added much value to my life. The iPad Air is a cool piece of tech and the 5th Generation Model is still the one I generally recommend the average iPad user; it's just not the one I enjoy using most frequently.

Long winded rant short, simplifying tech shouldn't be about lowering the number of devices in your life. Sure, that's a useful side-benefit in a lot of cases. But it should really be about honing in on what you enjoy using and what you are inclined to use. If your iPhone 14 Pro Max covers your bases, then great! Whatever flows and works naturally for you should be what you strive for regardless of how old you are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.