Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
My MacBook is a late 2013 Pro 13.3” that I can still use for my task (some little works about video editing and writing papers). My iPad Pro 12.9“ 2018 is still good for reading papers, web surfing and streaming. I use my Apple Watch series 4 SS only during physical activities, rest of the time wearing my Rolex since February 2022. Switched recently from iPhone 12 mini to 14 pro max 512 gb to have better camera and better battery-life. Air Pods Pro first gen are in my hears since November 2020.

Maybe in 2024 I will change my Air Pods for battery life. Despite that, I’m not planning to upgrade anything else for the next 2-3-4 years ✌🏻

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It’s crap in London. It has got me lost more times than it’s got me to the right place. I know London really well so my brain works better if I use it and not the watch.

I’ve used the watch a fair bit in London for navigation and it has worked well for me. Especially while walking I don’t need to look at the phone to see when to turn etc.

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
I’ve used the watch a fair bit in London for navigation and it has worked well for me. Especially while walking I don’t need to look at the phone to see when to turn etc.
It’s ”ok” in the middle of the city but it takes you the long way round way too often and on walking routes it’s a complete liability. Particularly stuff like the London Loop. Some of the map data is completely wrong. Even if it follows the official routes the directions are terrible.

I switched back to OSMaps app on my phone for that which is basically a glorified paper map and compass :)

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
LOL at your total lack of civility.

Sorry was in a foul mood when I wrote that 🤣

I’ve had some secondary problems with the device itself when navigating. Particularly in the wet (rain or sweat) at which point the display becomes useless and unpredictable. I’ve learned to turn wet mode on. But even the activity tracking drops randomly on long hikes. Probably not an issue for people who wear t shirts on hot days but I live in a wet, cold, high humidity climate. That makes other solutions less viable.

From a safety perspective it’s only usable for casual walks and suburban navigation where the penalty of getting lost or injured is low. Anything past that it’s a complete liability and possibly dangerous from the position that it’s not fit for purpose despite being marketed for it.

Back to a Garmin GPS map and an F-91W for me. And the GPS map will be backup up with paper and compass on high risk hiking routes.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Simplifying has been my big theme the last 2 years. I used to have devices all over the place. Kindles, iPads, Android tablets, several laptops, a desktop, etc. Of course, back then I couldn't be picky because of lack of funds (a lot of the things were donated).

When $ became a little better, I was able to choose a MacBook that reduced my need for a gaming desktop. I got an iPad I wanted and that meant I no longer wanted/needed other tablets or Kindles.

Now, these last 2 years I've taken the iPad entirely out of my workflow. I read on my iPhone and/or my MacBook (mostly).

I'm finding reduced stress with the fewer devices that I have. Now I just have an iPhone, MBP, and of course a Watch. Yes, do I sometimes wish I had an iPad? Sure. But knowing I won't be blowing $1399 every few years means I can splurge on a better MBP or iPhone or Watch.

I even decided to get a 14 Pro instead of a Pro Max for the first time since the 6+. Yes, the screen size reduction is noticeable, the battery life reduction is noticeable BUT.... carrying around this phone is so nice I forget it is in my pocket. Using this in my hand feels SO much better than my Pro Max - which I had to hold when I walked so it wouldn't pull down my pants or restrict my walking. I'm finding the smaller iPhone more pleasant to use than the Pro Max so I end up using it more. I am constantly wowed about how thin this is. Despite being a big guy, I prefer holding this phone and end up holding it more because of its smaller size.

I'm doing this with software I have too - consolidating things so I don't have to have as many apps opened - using Apple Notes for my to do list instead of other to do list applications, etc.

I am a firm believer that the more tech can get out of the way, the more we can focus on enjoy life. Think Star Trek.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Early 60’s and retired. Currently own MacBook Air M1, iPhone SE 3 and a basic gen 8 iPad. Going forward, a smart phone (either Android or Apple) is essential in my world, and a laptop which never leaves my house 99% of the time is my main tool at home. Very unlikely I will ever buy another iPad.

permanoob

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2022
I also think about this.

I’ve seen a lot of people say the ipad is redundant for them, but not me. I have a macbook pro m1 and I love the pad. I have ipad air 2020 with magic keyboard and pencil. I use it all the time, even for work stuff, and take it everywhere. Admittedly work is slower on the ipad than my macbook pro m1 2020, but it’s lighter and more fun to use and has touch games and a lower profile. It’s a great device.

Like others, my macbook pro hardly ever leaves my desk, where it is attached to a 24 inch display a keyboard, mouse, external ssd and a game controller. So it might as well be a desktop. This is where I do the vast majority of my work, and all the work that requires audio or video recording and editing.

I also have iphone 12 mini. I like it because it is small and good.

No watch, just never appealed to me since I have my phone with me anyway and I’m not trying to monitor my health stats.

I have a simple pair of wired headphones and the attachments for the different devices.

I don’t own a separate TV.

When it is time to upgrade, I actually will probably give away the laptop to a family member and be done with laptops. My ideal setup is older phone + ipad + desktop mac (mac mini). I already basically use the ipad now as my only mobile computer. It works enough. And a desktop will give me more power than a laptop for my desk work for less money. I think this is a good combination of spending the least amount of money while having fun device on the go and power on the desk at home.

Shrug. This **** doesn’t matter anyway.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I agree with the spirit here

One frustration of late is that I'm trying to change my life a bit and get in better shape after a good 5 years of neglect.
Part of that is wanting/needing an activity tracking solution so I can get a good sense of actual active/resting calories to then plan eating accordingly and with real data (I know it's not perfect with trackers either -- but better than estimates)

But I hate more devices -- I don't want an Apple Watch
But I like the Apple ecosystem

Ultimately I've settled on a Garmin "band" that I can hopefully get the basics out of and sync with Apple Health and get good battery life in a package that does as little as possible on my wrist.

I really wish Apple would make a "band"

I do not want an iPhone on my wrist

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
Sometimes I feel like I just need a break from notifications/beeps/alerts. I leave my Apple Watch at home and strap on a Casio G-Shock watch and leave my iPhone on my desk. On my iPad I sign out of iMessage and turn off email so it only does what I want it to do. There have been days when I forgot my iPhone at home and didn't even notice it until three or four hours into my shift. Big dumb grin on my face when I realize I'm totally unplugged. Some people freak out when they get disconnected from their digital life. Me - I breathe a little deeper and feel a sense of freedom missing since my childhood.

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
Sometimes I feel like I just need a break from notifications/beeps/alerts. I leave my Apple Watch at home and strap on a Casio G-Shock watch and leave my iPhone on my desk. On my iPad I sign out of iMessage and turn off email so it only does what I want it to do. There have been days when I forgot my iPhone at home and didn't even notice it until three or four hours into my shift. Big dumb grin on my face when I realize I'm totally unplugged. Some people freak out when they get disconnected from their digital life. Me - I breathe a little deeper and feel a sense of freedom missing since my childhood.

Completely agree.

Actually this line of thinking started from there for me. But first I managed to get myself into a connected mess. I started doing some hiking post-covid, after getting fit and healthy during it (as there was sod all else to do) and this turned into a big thing in my life. At the same time I managed to thoroughly embed myself into the Apple ecosystem's health stuff. Been like that since I think the end of 2020 when I got my first Apple Watch SE.

Back in Feb this year I decided to take a couple of days out and do some solo camping (yes it's freezing here and yes I'm insane). Because I had a heavy load out, all I took was the iPhone and it was in low power do not disturb mode for the entire weekend and turned off overnight. No watch tracking me, no calorie counter, nothing. I used paper map. I cooked and ate when I was hungry. I set up camp and made dinner at dusk, then read a (real paper) book for a bit with my head torch. I woke up when the sun came up. This was my home that night and it was total bliss being disconnected even though it was -3 oC out there!

1679179608298.jpeg

What's interesting is not what I discovered but what I didn't. I have no idea how many steps I did or calories I burned. I have no idea past a finger in the air estimate of how many km I walked. I don't know what my cardio fitness was like during the trip. And the thing was better for it. I stopped, I took in the scenery, I contemplated and I existed as a human for a bit.

This weekend was less interesting. I have been migrating my stuff over to Windows...

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
I never understood the Apple Watch, but I bought a used one during Covid. I’ve been wearing it every day now for years and what I love so much is it’s reduced my stress of receiving notifications.
I can quickly glance when my hands are dirty, if I’m driving, cooking, etc. to see why my pocket buzzed. An amazing quality of life improvement to not feel the urge to reach in my pocket if I can see that it’s a healthcare notification and just continue doing what I’m doing.
Also, phone calls. If I’m cooking and someone calls, I can use my nose to tap my watch to answer the call, and have a nice conversation hands free.

On the other side of the coin, my iPad is truly just to share photos. Easy to bring to lunch and share my latest trip photos with friends or family. Otherwise very little use. Sure, Netflix on a plane or when staying at a friends house when out of town, but I could probably use some cheap amazon tablet. 🤷‍♂️

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
My iP13 Pro stays in my pocket a lot, my watch tells me when my phone is ringing and occasionally I flick at my whats app's on my Apple Watch, can't get simpler than that. I use my MacBook Air M1 when I want to check emails (max 2/3 times a day now) and do dedicated work. Im finding Im far more focused this way.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Cmhrob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2023
OP here. Since I posted the question, I had a bit of a reversal. I’m back using my Apple Watch….the health tracking and behind the scenes monitoring (heart) is too good to give up. Told my wife today that when my iPad no longer works, I will not replace it.

When we take our next trip, I’ll take my Apple Watch, iPhone, AirPods, and Kindle. I think this is my best option.

Great feedback in this thread. Thank you.
Almost a year later....

Shortly after my above post about going back to the Apple Watch, I sold it and bought a nice analog watch and have been using it ever since. I gave my iPad to my son so he could use it in school. Over the past couple of years, my minimalist tech life (iPhone 14 Pro Max, AirPods Gen 2, and my Kindle Paperwhite) spilled over to the rest of my life and it's been great.

• Love
Reactions: rocketbuc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.