Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
To me, simplifying isn’t just about the number of devices but how (and where) you use them. I’ve become very deliberate over the years.

I use my phone only for communication, lists, navigation, and travel related functions. I do not do any mobile banking on my phone. My app complement fits on a single page.

My MacBook is in my office. I don’t schlep it around. I don’t work from coffee shops. I sit down and do work. In my office.

I have an iPad but it’s really just a glorified screen for reading sheet music and watching instructional content.

I find the Apple Watch a great compliment to simplification. It offers lightweight communication, navigation, music/podcasts, etc, so much so that I leave my phone at home as much as I can.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I’m 42 not that it matters, but everybody’s been mentioning their age and I wanna be one of the cool kids lol.

I haven’t minimized how many devices I have, but I have simplified how I use them. I have an iPhone 14 Pro, an M1 iMac, M2 iPad Pro, and an Apple Watch Series 5 stainless steel. I don’t look at my phone in the morning, but I do check it a few times throughout the day, but I try to not mindlessly scroll. I’ve taken all social media off my phone (good for my mental health), and turned off notifications.

My Apple Watch Series 5 is still going strong and I really don’t see the need to replace that anytime soon even though the Apple Watch Ultra looks very tempting lol.

I’m still on the fence over how much my iPad is necessary given that most of the work I do is on my iMac.

I’m catching you up on the age front and my device list seem to be pretty similar to yours.

- MacBook Pro 17” dedicated for work pretty much used as a desktop.
- MacBook Pro 13” used for personal and on the go non desk based work.
- MacBook Air 13” super old and just kept as a backup. Not used regularly.
- iPad Pro 11” second screen used mostly for personal stuff while I’m working in my desktop setup.
- iPhone 14 Pro Max for day to day activities
-  WATCH series 8 for day to day activities

Out of all of these I feel like the least used device in my life at the moment is the iPad and I haven’t upgraded since years. It’s not the M series and I don’t think I’ll upgrade it going forward.

My previous  WATCH was the series 4 and by the looks of it I’m going to keep my series 8 for a good few years until Apple stops supporting it.

Not looking to upgrade my MacBooks either since they’re more than capable of running what I need everyday.

So by the look of it, I’m set for the next few years.

The only exception is the iPhone. I’m a phone photography enthusiast and if apple does something awesome with the camera modules in the next couple of years, I know I won’t be able to resist upgrading.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I am in my mid-40s, and my life's approach has always been minimalistic, so it is natural only to have what I deem essential devices. I have MBA M2, iPhone 13 Pro, AW Series 4 Stainless Steel and AirPods (2nd gen).

In general, I try to buy nicer or more premium devices and appreciate/enjoy them longer. For instance, our only TV in the household is 10+ years old 55" Panasonic plasma TV, and our Panasonic Bluray player is 12+ years old.

Except for my iPhone 13 Pro, which I plan to replace in 2 years with a 16 Pro, I plan to keep my other Apple devices until Apple no longer supports them. I only replace my iPhone more often because I receive a monthly reimbursement from work, so getting a new iPhone after the previous one is paid off is free. Not only that, but my kids also benefit because I don't do trade-ins when I replace my iPhone, so I get to upgrade their iPhones and rotate out the older iPhones we have as a family. Works for me and my family :)

Reactions: adrianlondon

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
I would say that AW is a big additional feature for iPhone. But it’s health features are worth considering
iPhone is optional if you don’t travel in the city or need to call.
iPad is essential for its convenience
Mac is for productivity. iPads might replace the Mac in light/medium productivity

hanser

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
For me (55) the combination of Apple Watch and iPad is perfect. The iPhone is essentially a Apple Watch maintenance device; it is an battered iPhone SE 1st gen handed down to me by my children and is mostly lying around at the charger.

Reactions: flobach

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
I would say that AW is a big additional feature for iPhone. But it’s health features are worth considering
iPhone is optional if you don’t travel in the city or need to call.
iPad is essential for its convenience
Mac is for productivity. iPads might replace the Mac in light/medium productivity
I’m amazed how few people use AW for navigating in cities. It’s a killer feature!

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
I’m amazed how few people use AW for navigating in cities. It’s a killer feature!
It’s crap in London. It has got me lost more times than it’s got me to the right place. I know London really well so my brain works better if I use it and not the watch.

TheLion01

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2015
The Netherlands
What a fun topic to follow! Last two years, I've been thinking a lot myself about going more minimalist and reducing my number of tech devices and I have tried already different configurations. My most important devices that I won’t get rid of are my iPhone and my Apple Watch. These are indispensable in my daily routine. Since I graduated from college and started working I didn’t have the need for a computer with powerful specs and an extensive operating system anymore because I have a desktop computer at work to do the powerful computing jobs. So I tried different (older second hand) Mac’s and even went iPad only for some time. Last year I got a second hand M1 iMac which I love and was my only computer.

But currently I am more away from home often and I miss the option to do some simple and light computer tasks like spreadsheets away from my desk (away from home, or outside in the garden). I came across a refurbished MacBook Air from 2015 for a nice price and bought it as an impulse. Really like this machine and it is enough to do the job for me. This also makes Windows available for me again through Boot Camp which makes it possible to run some older software for my hobbies and start using my Zune again. (I like the Zune, please don’t judge me). But now I’m again with two computers while my plan was to keep the number as small as possible. Having two computers is overkill for my usage. I really love the M1 Mac’s and Apple Silicon in general and I really think it’s the future but an Intel-Mac is so much more practical for me right now.
Still undecided about if I will get rid of one Mac or keep them both. Selling the M1 iMac feels somehow weird because then I'm downgrading my computer. I currently have a iPhone SE (2020) and I’m saving to upgrade to a new iPhone (hopefully with USB-C) in September so the extra money would be really nice...

Reactions: rocketbuc

flobach

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Germany
Completely with you, OP. Whilst always being s tech enthusiast, During the pandemic I went a bit crazy and bought (and sold) a number of macs, accessories, and was co dtantly eyeing iPhones and iPads.

A few months ago I came to the realisation that all that stuff wasn’t making me happy, weighing me down, and making my wallet unnecessarily lighter. I have now trimmed it down to my  WATCH 7, iPhone 13 Pro, AirPods Pro and  TV. If I need a bigger screen, I can use my windows laptop provided by work.

My mind is clearer not having to think about all the devices, and I can spend money on buying fewer but better devices.

As many here have already written, the will to change and the philosophy of how you go about it /the goal you are pursuing needs to be the first step, and the tools/tech needs to fit in to your philosophy.

Reactions: StrollerEd

Cmhrob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2023
OP here. Since I posted the question, I had a bit of a reversal. I’m back using my Apple Watch….the health tracking and behind the scenes monitoring (heart) is too good to give up. Told my wife today that when my iPad no longer works, I will not replace it.

When we take our next trip, I’ll take my Apple Watch, iPhone, AirPods, and Kindle. I think this is my best option.

Great feedback in this thread. Thank you.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
It seems that half the posts in this discussion are conflating ecosystem lock-in with an excess of tech in our lives.

Swapping out Apple devices for the option of using Windows or other platforms isn’t really simplifying, like the title of the post says.

I still think the best approach is to be deliberate in your device usage. This matters far, far more than what devices you use or even how many you have. I have single purpose devices.

We’ve all bought into the convenience argument of doing everything on our phones. But is it really convenient? Or does it just give an excuse to always be on your phone? Corralling tasks to certain devices, times, and places goes a huge way to simplifying your life.

Apple a Day

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
After many years of juggling technology for myself and my family I decided to simplify. I bought an iPhone 14 pro max recently and intend to use it as my only device. It’s too early to tell how it’ll go but I’m going to go all in. So far I’m enjoying it. It makes things simpler. I wish you luck on your tech journey.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Yes, I don't own an Apple Watch and will dispense with either my iPad or my Mac when they are no longer usable. I really enjoy mechanical watches and I've noticed even young people are embracing them as well. I think smart watches in general will be relegated to purely fitness and medical devices eventually.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Yes, I don't own an Apple Watch and will dispense with either my iPad or my Mac when they are no longer usable. I really enjoy mechanical watches and I've noticed even young people are embracing them as well. I think smart watches in general will be relegated to purely fitness and medical devices eventually.
I think that’s what smart watches are now already. The time keeping aspect of my Apple Watch is probably it’s most used but least useful function.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
After many years of juggling technology for myself and my family I decided to simplify. I bought an iPhone 14 pro max recently and intend to use it as my only device. It’s too early to tell how it’ll go but I’m going to go all in. So far I’m enjoying it. It makes things simpler. I wish you luck on your tech journey.
Entirely possible depending on what work you do or if you are retired. And the rise of passkeys makes a phone-only approach even more appealing.

What’s annoying, however, is the iOS Files app especially it’s offline clunkiness, like when it randomly decides to offload critical travel documents so they aren’t available when you reach your destination, or when you try to save something and Files hangs because there is no connection.

That would be a tremendous blocker for me. That and the need for desktop specific software like Quickbooks. Oh, and there’s also doing everything critical on your device that could be stolen, broken, etc.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
If I could get rid of one it would be the phone. Not as convenient as the watch and not as broadly useful as the iPad.

flobach

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Germany
Let us know how you go. I’m doing the same thing with the regular pro size, and will upgrade to Max if it works out. A month in so far and I’m good :)

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Mid 40's. I haven't felt that need yet. I still use all my devices. Admittedly though my Ipad is a glorified Harmony remote right now. Occasionally doodle on it. Or use it as a laptop.
But my inventory as it stands,
  • Windows Gaming
  • Mac Mini M2
  • Iphone 13 pro Max
  • Ipad Pro 11 M1
  • Air Pods Pro
  • Apple TV
  • Windows Laptop

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Hi all. I have an Apple Watch Series 4 (battery replaced last year), 2021 M1 iPad, and an iPhone 14 Pro Max. Since I got my 14PM a month ago, I have essentially stopped using my iPad. Two days ago, I made the decision to stop using my Apple Watch (got tired of having to charge it) and buy a nice analog watch.

I’m 50 and I feel like I want to simplify or minimize the number of devices I use. My 14PM seems to do everything I need (I have a Kindle for reading).

I’m interested to hear if anyone else has decided to reduce the number of devices they use and take a more simple route.

Thank you.
I can relate in terms of the desire to simplify. So many gadgets mean so many things to maintain/charge/update/backup etc.

Personally, I think I'm already as simple as I can get. 2 phones (iphone and Android) and a tablet (Android tablet). Since the one PC app for work is now available on Android, i use my Windows laptop mainly for troubleshooting the other devices. Workflow wise, the 2 phones and 1 tablet is sufficient.

My main gripe is that most Android apps just don't behave well on a tablet. Even Microsoft Office apps are still buggy. If Apple made iPadOS to be able to troubleshoot itself instead of requiring it to be connected to a computer, then I might try replacing the Android tablet with an iPad as my main computer.

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
I too am a tech minimalist!

For me, the "essential" items are
* Phone (iPhone XR at the moment)
* Laptop (Windows)
* Headphones/earbuds (pick your poison). I've got both, but 9/10 times I'll grab my headphones (Sony XM5), and if I could only pick one device it would be a set of ANC headphones.

The other items (tablets, watches, e-readers) I've never found much use for, and having multiple "essential" devices is of very limited use to me. I end up picking one "essential" item, and using it the majority of the time (ie headpones over earbuds)...the other items sit in a drawer gathering dust.

Like other posters in this thread, upgrade when I feel it's necessary.

Phone...use until it no longer gets iOS updates and apps drops support for it, and then I'll think about upgrading.
Laptop...well it's 10 years old and still going strong, so if my use case doesn't change I'll keep using it.
Headphones...unless there are multiple features I deem worthy to upgrade to (ie much better ANC, mic performance, battery life etc) compared to my current XM5's I don't see myself upgrading for years...

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
I’m also trying to my keep my device setup quite minimal.
- iPhone
- iPad Air (for perso browsing on the couch and occasional Teams meeting)
- MacBook Air M2 (workhorse for all my computing and business, connected to monitor+mouse+keyboard at my desk, grab and go for travel and offsite meetings )

Still have an 10 year old 15” MacBook Pro as backup and older iPads for the kids to play.

As an aspiring minimalist, I think the worry about charging, backup, and storing of non-essential stuff (tech and others) is what really weighs people down. Sometimes even without them noticing this effect.

Reactions: driftmr2

Matsamoto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
One of my biggest interest is tech, so for me this was a little of challenge…

Using 2 pair of headphones.
AirPods Pro 2 at work (calls and music), and Philips Fidelio X2 at home for gaming.

Using a iPhone 12 PM as my daily driver. It works perfectly fine and have no interest to upgrade. When I do it will probably be the 17PM🙂

iPad Pro 11 2020 is my “Apple computer” because it does everything I want from it.
I take it with me 2-3 times a week for meetings and then I’m using Split View, Slide over and SimpleNote for notes.

I have no actual need for a MacBook Air/Pro, even If I want one😁
When I want to write something I borrow my wife’s MacBook Pro 13 2015.
This beautiful thing has a really nice keyboard so it’s a joy to write on it.

Also using a AW SE 1, for log my training. Gym and running is my cup of tea🙂
And also for stream music to my AirPods without taking my phone with me.
And Apple Pay without cards or phone is a blessing😅

Im quite happy with this setup, and it works for me.
Im gonna hang on to this tech for a couple of more years, and switch out one at a time when they don‘t get more support or dies😊

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.