Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue_Ninja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
Hi,

With all the rumours going around about a 'Dark Mode' in iOS 10; I thought I'd see if Siri knows anything about the 'Dark Mode' in iOS 10. So I asked here to 'Enable Dark Mode' and she said 'Sorry I can't change that setting' - she seems to have successfully recognised it as a setting!

Beautiful!

But then I thought I'd ask her something completely wrong and which I know doesn't exist which is to 'Enable Blue Mode' - she replied back and said sorry she 'don't understand' that.

See how the two responses are different - she cant change the dark mode setting but does not understand what blue mode is.

Based on her responses and how she recognised the dark mode; I'd say dark mode is coming people!

Dark_Mode.PNG Blue_Mode.PNG

djdsas

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2008
Hi,

With all the rumours going around about a 'Dark Mode' in iOS 10; I thought I'd see if Siri knows anything about the 'Dark Mode' in iOS 10. So I asked here to 'Enable Dark Mode' and she said 'Sorry I can't change that setting' - she seems to have successfully recognised it as a setting!

Beautiful!

But then I thought I'd ask her something completely wrong and which I know doesn't exist which is to 'Enable Blue Mode' - she replied back and said sorry she 'don't understand' that.

See how the two responses are different - she cant change the dark mode setting but does not understand what blue mode is.

Based on her responses and how she recognised the dark mode; I'd say dark mode is coming people!

View attachment 635279 View attachment 635280

Good find! I just tried it and got the same response.
[doublepost=1465691649][/doublepost]Interesting. I just tried it and got the same reply

Good find!

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Although I'd enjoy dark mode, I don't think it'll come to iOS because white is more efficient for LCDs. Maybe once iPhone goes OLED, we'll see a dark mode.

Notice how watchOS is mostly dark and Apple Watch is OLED.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

NicolasLGA

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2015
Although I'd enjoy dark mode, I don't think it'll come to iOS because white is more efficient for LCDs. Maybe once iPhone goes OLED, we'll see a dark mode.

I'm pretty sure LCD/LED screens use the same amount of power with white or black.

OLED can produce real blacks (because these pixels are off) and save power.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

Said the same thing last week. Completely agree.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA

I think we will still get it, I thought I heard there's a difference but it's pretty negligible. Also, I feel like this could be a thing like the "swipe to go back" gesture in iOS 7. That was in preparation to make one-handed use easier on the larger iPhone screens coming out the following year I believe. This could be in preparation for OLED displays that actually benefit, while also giving everyone a feature that many have been begging for for a long time.

I'm pretty sure LCD/LED screens use the same amount of power with white or black.

OLED can produce real blacks (because these pixels are off) and save power.

I thought I heard there was a very slight difference but not much. I think the liquid crystals have to work harder or something to shield the backlight from the user or something.

White is actually a little more efficient than black on LCDs.

I heard this as well but is it really that much of a difference?

Reactions: smacrumon

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
"dark theme" gets the same response, but any other type of theme gets "i don't understand"

also this is different from "night shift" as "night mode" gets interpreted correctly as night shift.

i'd say this is a pretty awesome find!

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I got the same thing - though it took 6 goes for Siri to recognise what i was saying... I always thought when I got an iPhone with Siri, that I'd use it all the time, but its just so bad sometimes. Its barely improved since 2011.
[doublepost=1465699297][/doublepost]I think people are over buying into this....

It gives the same answer for 'light mode' and 'blue mode'

Attachments

• IMG_9822.PNG
    IMG_9822.PNG
    320 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_9823.PNG
    IMG_9823.PNG
    376.7 KB · Views: 501
  • IMG_9824.PNG
    IMG_9824.PNG
    294.3 KB · Views: 567

Blue_Ninja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
I got the same thing - though it took 6 goes for Siri to recognise what i was saying... I always thought when I got an iPhone with Siri, that I'd use it all the time, but its just so bad sometimes. Its barely improved since 2011.
[doublepost=1465699297][/doublepost]I think people are over buying into this....

It gives the same answer for 'light mode' and 'blue mode'

If the first thing you ask siri is a setting ... then anything weird you ask her to enable afterwards she will interpret it as a setting as well.

If you say 'Enable dark mode' ... she says its setting ... then say 'Enable table mode' ... she will think table is setting and she'll say she can't enable it.

The clue is to turn the iPhone screen off ... back on and ask her the question ... and then you get the true response.

So if you turn off your screen off and back on .... then ask her to 'Enable table mode' ... she will say I dont understand.

But if you turn it off and back on and ask her to 'Enable dark mode' ... she will say she cant change setting.

The only setting she never gets wrong is dark mode .... anytime you ask her the question she recognises it as a setting.

Definitely not overbuying it ... dark mode is coming!

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Hi,

Beautiful!

View attachment 635279 View attachment 635280

- Siri is coming to Mac OS
- Mac OS has a dark mode
- The Dark mode she is responding to may be for OS X not iOS.
- Another tech site was also able to get Siri on an iPhone to respond to "Finder App".

Blue_Ninja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
- Siri is coming to Mac OS
- Mac OS has a dark mode
- The Dark mode she is responding to may be for OS X not iOS.
- Another tech site was also able to get Siri on an iPhone to respond to "Finder App".
I wouldn't call a dark menu bar and a dock on the mac : "Dark Mode".... Dark Mode entails pretty much everything on the screen is dark ... not just a couple of sides ... which 50% of users hide.

Plenty of sites refer to the MacOS's dark menu and dock as dark mode ... Apple Certainly doesn't refer to it as dark mode ... Just did a google search on all of apple.com site (googled: dark mode site:apple.com) and nothing came up apart from references to third party apps ... meaning that functionality doesn't officially exist yet.

I'd say this is for the iOS ... dark WWDC app, and a few other things ... I'd say its pretty clear its coming.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I wouldn't call a dark menu bar and a dock on the mac : "Dark Mode".... Dark Mode entails pretty much everything on the screen is dark ... not just a couple of sides ... which 50% of users hide.

Plenty of sites refer to the MacOS's dark menu and dock as dark mode ... Apple Certainly doesn't refer to it as dark mode ... Just did a google search on all of apple.com site (googled: dark mode site:apple.com) and nothing came up apart from references to third party apps ... meaning that functionality doesn't officially exist yet.

I'd say this is for the iOS ... dark WWDC app, and a few other things ... I'd say its pretty clear its coming.

Hey don't get me wrong. I'd LOVE a system wide dark mode. If you're on to something then that's great. :D

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Search recognizes it as dark mode so I'd assume Siri would as well.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    319.7 KB · Views: 429

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Haven't got my computer infront of me, but Search recognised it because of the word 'dark' only.

If you type in the word 'mode' just by itself that particular result wouldn't come up.
Nope its the word mode.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 1.44.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 1.44.17 AM.png
    448.7 KB · Views: 421

Blue_Ninja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
Nope its the word mode.

Doctor 11, I don't like to focus on semantics but prefer bigger picture.

Anyway, Siri also recognises "Enable dark theme".

How do you explain that ! And if you search for "dark theme" or "theme" in preferences, does that result still come up ?!

Reactions: MartinAppleGuy

Blue_Ninja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
Just tried searching for 'Dark Theme' in preferences and nothing came up.

Siri on the other hand says it can't change the setting when asked to 'Enable Dark Theme'

dark_theme.png IMG_4885.PNG

Reactions: MartinAppleGuy

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I'm sold on this. After all, iOS has had a dark mode for years with iBooks. Extending it system wide only makes sense.

I wonder if any of Apple's go-to partners have had access to a third party Siri API ahead of WWDC? If so, I wonder if any commands related to their apps might be semi-live, too.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Looking at the WWDC 16 banners and invitations that are designed on dark background, I thought that was a given and did not really leave any doubts!! Anyway, we will find out in just over 24 hrs.

Reactions: SMIDG3T

Blue_Ninja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
Dark Mode is coming people. I would bet a million if I had that much.
Have a look at these queries and look at her responses ... couldn't be more obvious.

I said 'Is dark mode on', she said: 'I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that question. But you can find out in Settings'.
Same thing with 'Dark Theme'.
She only does that with settings. I asked her 'Is night mode on' and she checked settings and said it was on.
When I asked her 'Is blue mode on' ... she did a Google search instead! She could've done a Google search with dark theme but didn't!

IMG_4887.PNG IMG_4890.PNG IMG_4888.PNG IMG_4891.PNG

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Dark Mode is coming people. I would bet a million if I had that much.
Have a look at these queries and look at her responses ... couldn't be more obvious.

I said 'Is dark mode on', she said: 'I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that question. But you can find out in Settings'.
Same thing with 'Dark Theme'.
She only does that with settings. I asked her 'Is night mode on' and she checked settings and said it was on.
When I asked her 'Is blue mode on' ... she did a Google search instead! She could've done a Google search with dark theme but didn't!

View attachment 635331 View attachment 635332 View attachment 635333 View attachment 635334
Wow that really must mean something then, especially because of the lack of a settings link, even though there was a colon indicating there should be one.

So obviously on the server side of things, it's specifying a specific place in settings for "Dark Mode" for Siri to present to the user. But that place doesn't exist on the device-side of things, so the settings link fails to appear. That's what I'm guessing that means.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
I can get Siri to respond that way by asking a lot of different things... Example enable quiet mode, enable blue mode... And it's random sometime she'll say she can't change that setting in sometime she'll say she doesn't know what I mean... There is nothing to this

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.