Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
(I remember writing papers in college using the precursor to current word processing programs where the text was green on a black background), but that did not last long and things shifted to be more like the printed world, of black (or colored) text on a white background.

Yep, good old green screens :)

Interestingly, one of the major reasons to go with a light background is that our eyes don't like to deal with large changing ratios of bright to dark.

Since the background is so much bigger than the area used by letters, the background is the key factor:
  • On a dark background, comparing an empty dark screen, and a full screen of bright letters, the difference in the total amount of brightness is very large.
  • On a light background, the bright background area is much bigger than the relatively little area used even by a full screen of black letters, so the brightness difference between an empty and full text screen is very slight.
So, ergonomically, a light background is much better for editing or flipping pages of various text amounts to be read.

Last edited:

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
As I predicted. Dark mode will arrive with OLED iPhone.

I don't know about that man. What is the driving thought behind a dark mode? For Apple TV it simulates Youtube's theatre mode where it's dark everywhere else so you can focus on your video. On MacOS if you're working it helps you concentrate better.

Why would you make iOS dark? so you can't read it in sunlight or for the brief moment in time before you go to bed?

iOS Dark mode is a "neat" feature we all want but it doesn't really suit a purpose so I don't see Apple doing it.

chatbr

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2015
I dont know if this was already said it, but we did have a Dark Mode in a Beta iOS a long time ago, which was removed in the beta afterwards. Apple have already considered a dark mode in the past. If by now they didnt add it, they sure have a reason behind it. I am sad about it too, but nothing we can do. But looks like we wont get it anytime soon.
For now I will stick with apps that allow me to use dark backgrounds ( Twittelator, Alien Blue, Vessel... )
Probably the setting its trying to change is that code, thats probably still left in.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I dont know if this was already said it, but we did have a Dark Mode in a Beta iOS a long time ago, which was removed in the beta afterwards. Apple have already considered a dark mode in the past. If by now they didnt add it, they sure have a reason behind it. I am sad about it too, but nothing we can do. But looks like we wont get it anytime soon.
For now I will stick with apps that allow me to use dark backgrounds ( Twittelator, Alien Blue, Vessel... )
Probably the setting its trying to change is that code, thats probably still left in.
Which beta was that?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Dont quote me on that: iOS 7.1 Beta.
I really cant remember.

I believe this was ONLY for keyboard color though, in the 1 beta it was actually present in, right?
Yeah, as I recall that was simply for the option to use the darker keyboard as the default basically, which is fairly different from a dark mode that would apply to the OS overall.

chatbr

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2015
Yeah, as I recall that was simply for the option to use the darker keyboard as the default basically, which is fairly different from a dark mode that would apply to the OS overall.

Indeed. But the setting was called "Dark Mode", which may be the trigger for the Siri response.
Its not what we want, but its what it was called.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Indeed. But the setting was called "Dark Mode", which may be the trigger for the Siri response.
Its not what we want, but its what it was called.
I believe it was just called the dark keyboard:
darkkeyboard1.jpg

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
The reason is it doesn't look as good in marketing photos (My opinion, I don't have insider information). And as previously said before it was only a keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.