Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
Yeah quiet mode still shows the same results... Even when shutting the screen off... So maybe there's a hidden quiet mode too

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah quiet mode still shows the same results... Even when shutting the screen off... So maybe there's a hidden quiet mode too
Unless that's perhaps a reference to enabling the silent switch as can be done via Asssistive Touch.

Blue_Ninja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
Quiet mode does exist in a way ... it could be a reference to when you turn the ringer off and have the vibrator on only. Just like with Dark Mode and how it responded to multiple phrases - Dark Mode, Dark Theme - same thing with Quiet Mode, it could be referring to Silent Mode when you have the ringer off - Silent Mode, Quiet Mode.

It could be app permissions or who knows what that it cant change that setting even though it exists.

I get the same response when I ask siri to lower the volume ... she said she can't change that setting even though it does exit and we all know it does exits ... it could be apple developers that have disabled siri permissions to change volume.

Siri's responses to Dark Theme are quiet different ... its not a random thing:

Enable Dark Theme
Is Dark Theme On
Toggle Dark Theme

And all of the responses every single time indicate its a Setting ... none of that happens with the other stuff.

Last edited:

Seg9

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2016
This gives me a lot of hope for a dark mode. I want this so bad!

Thanks for sharing. We will see at WWDC.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
I got the same thing - though it took 6 goes for Siri to recognise what i was saying... I always thought when I got an iPhone with Siri, that I'd use it all the time, but its just so bad sometimes. Its barely improved since 2011.
[doublepost=1465699297][/doublepost]I think people are over buying into this....

It gives the same answer for 'light mode' and 'blue mode'

Wondering what the "Helicopter Mode" will be...

Blue_Ninja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
Wondering what the "Helicopter Mode" will be...

Siri doesn't understand 'Helicopter Mode':
IMG_4895.PNG

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Possible other explanation, there were earlier reports that Siri might be recognizing desktop commands, and as there is a dark theme on the desktop, this might just be confirmation of desktop Siri rather than iOS dark mode :(

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Doctor 11, I don't like to focus on semantics but prefer bigger picture.

Anyway, Siri also recognises "Enable dark theme".

How do you explain that ! And if you search for "dark theme" or "theme" in preferences, does that result still come up ?!
I explain that by saying the probability of dark mode in iOS 10 is 10X higher now.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Looking at the WWDC 16 banners and invitations that are designed on dark background, I thought that was a given and did not really leave any doubts!! Anyway, we will find out in just over 24 hrs.
Yes I think the fact that all the WWDC banners have a black background means something. And I don't think it's just related to Xcode. Honestly if Apple announced dark mode on iOS, Siri on the Mac and Xcode for iPad Pro the crowd would go nuts. Throw in finder on iOS and someone might faint.

Blue_Ninja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
Appleinsider is running with the story.
I think they published it just in the last few minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

appleinsider.png

Blue_Ninja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
It will literally say that for any "mode" you ask it to turn on.

Like I said before, turn your phone screen off and on and then ask the question.
Its probably a bug with Siri, if the first thing you ask her is a setting, anything you ask her to enable afterwards she'll think is a setting as well - turn the screen off and on and this will fix it.
I just did that and now it doesn't know what Walmart mode is.
If you do that with Dark Mode; turn the screen on and off - she will still say its a setting.

IMG_4897.PNG

kdarling

macrumors P6
White is actually a little more efficient than black on LCDs.

It all depends on what the resting mode of an LCD panel is, black or white. That is, whether or not the crystals default to passing light up through the second polarizer, when _not_ activated by power.

As it turns out, while older type (e.g. TN) LCDs do usually default to a white resting mode (meaning it takes slightly less power to be all white)...

... IPS LCDs such as the display used in the iPhone default to a black (okay, really dark gray) rest mode. Thus, it takes more power to activate the crystals to let the light through to make a white screen.

So, a dark mode will use less power on both LCD and OLED iPhone displays.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Possible other explanation, there were earlier reports that Siri might be recognizing desktop commands, and as there is a dark theme on the desktop, this might just be confirmation of desktop Siri rather than iOS dark mode :(
That certainly seems like a rather plausible explanation that sounds like potentially more probable one too.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
They are probably making changes to Siri as we speak so that they can show off Siri 2.0 on the stage. Anyway, all the WWDC banners are a dark background, as are the invitations, I'd be very surprised if we didn't see a Dark Mode for iOS.
[doublepost=1465818939][/doublepost]
In about 8 hours, all will be revealed. Rooting for blue mode myself! ;)

Blue mode for a blue iPhone

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
It all depends on what the resting mode of an LCD panel is, black or white. That is, whether or not the crystals default to passing light up through the second polarizer, when _not_ activated by power.

As it turns out, while older type (e.g. TN) LCDs do usually default to a white resting mode (meaning it takes slightly less power to be all white)...

... IPS LCDs such as the display used in the iPhone default to a black (okay, really dark gray) rest mode. Thus, it takes more power to activate the crystals to let the light through to make a white screen.

So, a dark mode will use less power on both LCD and OLED iPhone displays.

It will be interesting to see if Apple does try to shift things from white to black / gray background. It was not all that long ago that computing was colored type on a black background (I remember writing papers in college using the precursor to current word processing programs where the text was green on a black background), but that did not last long and things shifted to be more like the printed world, of black (or colored) text on a white background.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.