Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Would be great if Siri worked locally on the Mac to process dictation.

Cool dictation will be taken up a notch.

If you press Fn twice (Fn Fn), you'll enter dictation mode.

Your Mac (not iOS) should offer to download speech recognition locally to your Mac. It's over 500MB so it's not small, but it is quite good, I'm impressed.

So, if you're talking actual dictation (and I know you weren't macduke), yes, it can be done locally.

It's a heavyweight package so it's unclear if Siri could be made to work the same way. I know I'd take that option.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
I picture the home Mac could be the center of home automation. like Picard on Star Trek giving the computer instructions.
"Siri, dim lights and play some jazz"

JJM

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
Chicago
Siri

I don't know what the rest of you think, but in comparison to Google's Voice Recognition, Siri sux. Siri rarely gets what I speak into my phone correctly. Google's success rate for the same task is correct at least 80-85% of the time. When Siri get come close to Google…. let me know.

sethlution

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
I can't help but think of this :D
paper-clip-dentist1.jpeg

codewrangler

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Great for home, but I doubt I'd use this much at work unless I close my door. Would be great if Siri worked locally on the Mac to process dictation. I'd also like to see that capability extend to the iPhone 6, especially with the rumored beefy A8 chip.

Already in OSX....Preferences/Dictation & Speech :)

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Literally the first three words in the subject line of this article say "Siri for Mac."

Literally, you missed my point. I consider this to be bigger new because this would indicate a touch screen Mac. To me that would be bigger than Siri on the Mac.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Obviously we all knew this was coming eventually. :rolleyes:

I think that touch screen feature depicted in the first image is more interesting.

Especially as it was filed in feb. Not from the days of testing touch screens on MacBooks or an OS X based tablet.

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
Hopefully there will be improvements to Siri before they implement this. Siri only works about a quarter of the time for me. Could be very cool if it works right.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I'd be happy to have the option to have Siri on Mac, but I don't think I'd ever use it.

I only use Siri on my iPhone for playing music handsfree (in the car), asking for directions, and setting a timer.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Virtual assistants on your PC will be the next big thing. Imagine if your computer could accurately parse human speech to get you what you want. All of those tedious computer tasks would be a quick, spoken, sentence away.

I feel like I'm in the mid-1950s all of a sudden.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Thinking about it, Apple could have included a touch-screen in the patent to block PC makers from copying them / implementing a similar feature if Cortana comes to Windows or Google Now comes to Chrome OS.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Give it a rest. :rolleyes:

As soon as I don't have to hunt and peck and squint to see and find everything I need I'll get right on it (that's kind of a 10.10/iOS7-8 combined complaint). I'd love to give it a rest. Yosemite isn't too bad, but it's the same washed out boring crap iOS7 is, though a little better. I'm not a fan of wood grain, btw. It's interesting to see the changes they make with each beta to try and cover up their sins. :)

The only thing Siri ever did for me was tell me that 'I couldn't make a phone call from this iPad'. All I asked for was a phone number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.