Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tliede20

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
iPad PRO!

Just going to throw this out there and let you all cannibalize it! But my guess is maybe this is the prep for the iPad Pro! ??? :apple: :cool:

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
The only thing Siri ever did for me was tell me that 'I couldn't make a phone call from this iPad'. All I asked for was a phone number.

The best thing for me was when it misunderstood me and asked me what I wanted to search for on Google. As it was a mistake I said "nothing" ... it then searched Google for the word nothing.

Really, top notch AI there.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
neat..

Who needs a keyboard now-days. We're probably heading that way, Perfect or not.

If Apple wanted to they could sell Mac's (even laptops) without a keyboard when Siri gets better, and Bluetooth would be an only option if people still wanted physical keyboards.

Also leave more room for other techy stuff like Touch ID.

Apple goal is probably to make everything as external as you could get... Look at the new Mac Pro, looks like a circle of daisy chained peripherals...

Although small and light, you must carry this stuff with you if you need it...

On the other have, we think like that with mobile.

Where is the convenience in that ?

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
They need to polish Siri on iOS a little more still.

I have to say after using and android phone for a while, Google's voice recognition system is lightning fast. Siri gives me too much lip and it takes to long to connect to the internet to do what I want.

Plus it doesn't understand Australian too well!

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
They need to polish Siri on iOS a little more still.

I have to say after using and android phone for a while, Google's voice recognition system is lightning fast. Siri gives me too much lip and it takes to long to connect to the internet to do what I want.

Plus it doesn't understand Australian too well!

Can't argue with that...Googles voice recognition is almost instant, apple can definitely take some cues from that

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Hands-free operation?

Siri...go to xhamster...

Siri on the iPhone can't even do that. Even google now or alternatives have a hard time if they can even do it.

----------

Can't argue with that...Googles voice recognition is almost instant, apple can definitely take some cues from that

iOS 8 does streaming voice recognition, seems on par with google as far as speed goes.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Both Jobs and Cook said they will never make a touch screen Mac because that is like combining a fridge with a toaster, the features don't mix.

This is why people hate Apple. I don't care if a company files for 1 million patents at long as each one makes it into a product, or at least offer reasonable licensing fees, but I have little respect for a company that weaponizes patents by using it as a tool to prevent competitive advantage without any inclination to implement the feature themselves. Apple only wants to prevent Google Now from being used on the growing number of PC laptops and hybrids with touch screen capabilities, Apple has no intent to bring touch to Mac, certainly not to support any new Siri like feature.

What's next, a patent to use Siri with a Stylus on an iPhone so they can block Samsung Note sales?

It's nice that Apple is agreeing to stop many of their patent lawsuits, but don't turn around an file more ******** protectionist patents, that is just like calling ceasefire while restocking your bombs.

Also if you are going to bring every feature of iOS to OS X and vice versa, just merge the OS code and get it over with, stop this little dance of suggesting that you can't mix mobile and desktop operating systems while trying to achieve feature parity on both.

You just might be looking at this with a closed mind. The philosophy behind not merging the code makes a lot of sense. If they were going to merge OS X and iOS they would rather make a new operating system instead of merging the code. You don't merge a toaster and a refrigerator, you invent new technology that makes a separate toaster and refrigerator obsolete.

Plus, patents don't stop people from copying them but changing the process slightly, making it ok (like multi-touch)

GregAndonian

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
Some of the stuff coming out these days is just amazing to me. Between this, the self-driving Google cars, and Bitcoin, we're rapidly approaching the Demolition Man era... :eek:

uk-guy

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2009
System 7.1!

Anyone remember this?

I remember using MacSpeech in System 7.5 in the early 90's and my PowerMac 8100 AV running at 100MHz and 16MB of RAM! You can ask it what the date was, the time, to open Applications and Folders. You could even write your own scripts. I remember writing a script where if I told it P off it would shut down! Oh, all that free time I one had in my youth!!!!

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Obviously we all knew this was coming eventually. :rolleyes:...

Yeah, unavoidable, but predictable that the environmental whackos and their subliminal powers of persuasion should creep into Apple patent demos to propagandize the masses on manmade "climate change".

CollinAnderson

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2014
Menu on Window

Interesting that in the second image, they have the menu bar at both the top of the screen and on the individual window.

Narg

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
Wrong patent...

Apple's been overdoing patents more and more. Some are good, but some are not. This one is not. Voice control for any computer has been around for almost 2 decades, many of which have been built into the OS. So patenting anything related would be bad on innovation. I hope they don't get this one.

Narg

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
It's nice that Apple is agreeing to stop many of their patent lawsuits, but don't turn around an file more ******** protectionist patents, that is just like calling ceasefire while restocking your bombs.

I agree with you on this 100%. Though I will say that the problem is not necessarily Apple. It's the software industry in general. They have to file just to save their a** these days. I still contend that software is an algorithm, and by most laws algorithms are not patentable. Then patent system is 100% broken.

i4m

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Glorified talking paper-clip?

Edit: (looks like someone beat me to it)

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Great for home, but I doubt I'd use this much at work unless I close my door. Would be great if Siri worked locally on the Mac to process dictation. I'd also like to see that capability extend to the iPhone 6, especially with the rumored beefy A8 chip.

While it's not a fully interactive feature you can use voice-to-text in Mavericks right now. It also has an offline mode. It works well for me when I'm using my laptop and away from wifi.

Edit: After reading posts following yours I see others have mentioned this feature too.

Also, my experience with Siri has been very good overall. Plus I use dictation constantly on my iPhone during iMessage chats, when writing in the Notes app, and email.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.