Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
Installed the 13.3 beta 1 and had some hope since this issue has manifested itself since the end of September. Zero progress for a fix with our problem.

Not a total loss though as I can now get rid of those annoying overgrown emoji stickers that are first before the ones that people usually use.

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
Installed the 13.3 beta 1 and had some hope since this issue has manifested itself since the end of September. Zero progress for a fix with our problem.

I'm remaining hopeful that a watchOS update resolves the issue (hopefully even the one coming up). At least two of us in this thread received replacement Apple Watch Series 4's that came with watchOS 5.x. When running watchOS 5.x with a paired iPhone SE running iOS 13.2, the Bluetooth issues don't seem to be present. One user reported that the problem returned upon updating the Watch to watchOS 6.1. I have not updated my mothers replacement Watch to watchOS 6, so I've got her stuck on watchOS 5 for the time being because she relies on Siri throughout the day. I believe this needs a watchOS update, or some combination of an iOS update with a watchOS update.

An email to Tim Cook might not hurt either, as it will probably get some attention from Executive Relations. At least it may get a ticket lodged. Mind-blowing how something like this was never caught in testing.

Reactions: Saludos

Saludos

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
As other wrote (As my posts show, I’m in the same boat) this is not a minor issue. This Siri/Bluetooth/iPhone SE related bug impacts highly on the everyday use of my Apple Watch. Plus, I experience the AirPods issue, also related to this bug (continual disconnections).
This means I have 3 Apple products that doesn’t functions seamlessly anymore. I think we should ask for a bug fix ASAP, meanwhile Apple should consider compensation for customers affected by this issue that made our products almost useless.

Hustler

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2010
My series 3 is also effected by this, Siri requests either don’t go through or I get cut off in the middle of my request.

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
Installed. 13.3 beta 2 today. Zero progress with our problem.

With the additional posts, I am convinced it is the SE blue tooth. After installing the update, tried it when I had a blue tooth speaker connected to the SE and on and everything worked.

So it appears, as someone said, to happen when blue tooth is idle for a while. This AW5 I have is 1 month old. Pretty soon I am going to go to an apple store and as far as I'm concerned, they can continue to give me new AW5s until this works as it should on an SE.

Saludos

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
iOS 13.2.3 didn't solved the issue. Even worst! I can't reply to a message using Siri on my apple watch (siri randomly works/don't works) I experience continual AirPods disconnections, a real mess! So angry, since 2 months a software update has made my devices almost useless. It seems all related to Siri/bluetooth and (maybe) iPhone SE

AME77

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2019
Same here, no change.

BTW: Can anyone understand the first two words or letters of Siris error message before "...lost the connection"? I always hear "U O" in german pronunciation which makes no sense to me. Is the message the same in every language?

Saludos

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Same here, no change.

BTW: Can anyone understand the first two words or letters of Siris error message before "...lost the connection"? I always hear "U O" in german pronunciation which makes no sense to me. Is the message the same in every language?

sorry. I can’t help. I only understand “lost connection” in English (not the language of my Apple Watch)

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada

I believe from the times I have heard it, it was "Uh oh, lost the connection. Let's try that again!"

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
I believe from the times I have heard it, it was "Uh oh, lost the connection. Let's try that again!"
It is "uh oh". BTW, Apple did not release the weekly beta today, like they usually have been. Does anyone believe they are actually taking the time to fix our problem?

Saludos

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
It is "uh oh". BTW, Apple did not release the weekly beta today, like they usually have been. Does anyone believe they are actually taking the time to fix our problem?
I’m in contact with Apple support (3weeks): my opinion is that they play for time, probably they’ve no idea how to solve it. “Try to pair-unpair, hard reset, install the last update, send us a video”. Furthermore I’ve spent hours for remote-diagnostic, they’ve collect files from my apple watch and iPhone, but at the moment no solution. WatchOS 6 + iOS 13 for me is the worst combination ever.

Reactions: FerMadrid

Steveatesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
North east England
13.2.3 didn’t solve my problem either. Does anybody know when the next update for the watch is due out, can we expect it soon or is it weeks away?

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
Installed the iPhone 13.3 beta 3 today and SIGNIFICANT progress towards a fix with our problem, with testing so far.

After I first installed, the first round of calls from the AW5, when attached to bluetooth and Siri stuttering was still the same. Then I powered off the AW5 and turned on again. Since then, all calls made and received by the AW5, from a few minutes apart to 45 minutes later have worked perfectly.

I am still testing Siri like the phone calls and still don't know if not using the AW5 for calls or Siri after hours of not doing are working, but I will give this 13.3 beta 3 a hopeful rating so far.

If any one else who has this problem installs the iPhone betas or is thinking of trying, this is the one to try. I will reply to this post after more testing.

FerMadrid

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2019
Just my update/summary: it’s completely clear that the problems are caused by the watch OS updates from 6.0. Definitely discarded a hardware issue on the phone or watch. I had 2 AW S4, the last one with watchOS 5.2 paired with iPhone SE iOS 13 working perfectly but after updating watchOS problems appear.

My issues: problems with calls, it looks like the AW is calling but the call doesn’t engage with the phone. Siri is too slow or even unavailable some times. Siri goes crazy in the middle of the answers telling “...Uh Oh Lost connection let me try data again...” Impossible to creat reminders from the watch. Impossible to send a WhatsApp to a contact, before watchOS 6.0 I could do that with the AW.
Old issues solved: watch doesn’t recognize my self, turning impossible to call home or a parent or getting instructions to get home adress.

Talked with support several times, scaling to engineering department, I sent some videos with my issues and these days I am going to report time and date details of the issues to monitoring the error code from Apple. Support always ask to reboot, unpair, reset, update, etc. but as is well known that doesn’t work. The only thing I didn’t try and I will not try is a hard reset of my iPhone, I think it’s a waste of time, don’t want to lose data and I don’t think it will solve the problems. I talked with support about this forum where many people are reporting the issues but they are no allowed to enter, read or check these kind of contents.

Hoping that the last beta 13.3 works as Spartan says, crossing fingers but I am still thinking that the problem is the watch OS and not iOS.

Regards

iOS 13.2.3 (iPhone SE model MP822FD/A)
watchOS 6.1 (Apple Watch Series 4 model NU662B/A)

Reactions: Saludos

Steveatesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
North east England
Just my update/summary: it’s completely clear that the problems are caused by the watch OS updates from 6.0. Definitely discarded a hardware issue on the phone or watch. I had 2 AW S4, the last one with watchOS 5.2 paired with iPhone SE iOS 13 working perfectly but after updating watchOS problems appear.

My issues: problems with calls, it looks like the AW is calling but the call doesn’t engage with the phone. Siri is too slow or even unavailable some times. Siri goes crazy in the middle of the answers telling “...Uh Oh Lost connection let me try data again...” Impossible to creat reminders from the watch. Impossible to send a WhatsApp to a contact, before watchOS 6.0 I could do that with the AW.
Old issues solved: watch doesn’t recognize my self, turning impossible to call home or a parent or getting instructions to get home adress.

Talked with support several times, scaling to engineering department, I sent some videos with my issues and these days I am going to report time and date details of the issues to monitoring the error code from Apple. Support always ask to reboot, unpair, reset, update, etc. but as is well known that doesn’t work. The only thing I didn’t try and I will not try is a hard reset of my iPhone, I think it’s a waste of time, don’t want to lose data and I don’t think it will solve the problems. I talked with support about this forum where many people are reporting the issues but they are no allowed to enter, read or check these kind of contents.

Hoping that the last beta 13.3 works as Spartan says, crossing fingers but I am still thinking that the problem is the watch OS and not iOS.

Regards

iOS 13.2.3 (iPhone SE model MP822FD/A)
watchOS 6.1 (Apple Watch Series 4 model NU662B/A)

I did try a hard rest of my iPhone, not from a backup but a clean install. The problem was not solved. Certainly seems to be the WatchOS update that caused the problem.

FerMadrid

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2019
I did try a hard rest of my iPhone, not from a backup but a clean install. The problem was not solved. Certainly seems to be the WatchOS update that caused the problem.
Thanks for the info Steveatesh. Let’s see if iOS 13.3 erase all the annoying issues.

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
Installed the iPhone 13.3 beta 3 today and SIGNIFICANT progress towards a fix with our problem, with testing so far.

After I first installed, the first round of calls from the AW5, when attached to bluetooth and Siri stuttering was still the same. Then I powered off the AW5 and turned on again. Since then, all calls made and received by the AW5, from a few minutes apart to 45 minutes later have worked perfectly.

I am still testing Siri like the phone calls and still don't know if not using the AW5 for calls or Siri after hours of not doing are working, but I will give this 13.3 beta 3 a hopeful rating so far.

If any one else who has this problem installs the iPhone betas or is thinking of trying, this is the one to try. I will reply to this post after more testing.

Update with further testing on this latest 13.3 beta 3 on the SE. Siri has been responding dependably and fully with information requests on the AW5 bluetooth connected to the SE.

As far as calls, unfortunately getting "call failed" when the phone is bluetooth connected to the SE the majority of the time when dialing a number. Something unusual, when you ask Siri to call a number, Siri responds appropriately and the AW5 shows calling, but never a connection which starts the minutes and seconds.

I'm going to update this in my feedback I have into Apple. It seems they are trying to fix.

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
I have this problem with my S4 and the XS Max. I think it only happens when I‘m too far away from the phone, in another room or so. The watch is connected via wifi then but the switch from bluetooth to wifi is not recognized or something...

FerMadrid

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2019
Update with further testing on this latest 13.3 beta 3 on the SE. Siri has been responding dependably and fully with information requests on the AW5 bluetooth connected to the SE.

As far as calls, unfortunately getting "call failed" when the phone is bluetooth connected to the SE the majority of the time when dialing a number. Something unusual, when you ask Siri to call a number, Siri responds appropriately and the AW5 shows calling, but never a connection which starts the minutes and seconds.

I'm going to update this in my feedback I have into Apple. It seems they are trying to fix.
Thanks Spartan for sharing your test with that beta, there is also running a beta for the AW 6.1.1 but I don’t know what will fix or contribute to watchOS.
It would help for our cause that other iPhone models had these issues with the AW but it seems that just happen with the iPhone SE, no idea why.

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
But SHOULDN'T it work over WiFi then or am I completely wrong? I can make calls and text from another floor if the watch in on wifi or cell, but the Siri thing only works over Bluetooth?

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
Hey all. Just posted the following on the feedback chain with Apple. I don't think I will be updating with betas on the iPhone anymore. I will update this forum when I update with the Golden Master of 13.3 and the next official Apple Watch OS. I came thisclose to buying an iPhone 11 Pro yesterday, but decided I am keeping this SE until official release next September since Apple seems to be serious about 5G. However, I won't be buying any new phone until I see any ridiculous bugs, like ours, worked out of iOS 14.

"Update with the 13.3 beta 3. Siri will not work at all now with iMessage. Siri is also stuttering still "oh oh" if you don't use it for a while while with the SE via blue tooth. Sometime Siri will not speak at all. Re pairing the AW5 to the SE since this appears to be a degrading problem now."

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
I had this issue today with my S4 and my XS Max with the phone in my pocket so it was not too far away. I don’t think the problem is SE only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.