Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I’m struggling with a lot of the same challenges in the thread and one common denominator I’ve noticed is Siri tends to misfire when I/she leaves WiFi (home/business) and in my car the switch to LTE/cellular trips her every time.
I know it’s using WiFi with the iPhone at home and obviously as I drive further from my house the signals lost and the switch to cellular plays havoc on Siri requests. Whether it be directions, texts, calls, or playlists... it’ll tell me I’ve got to unlock my iPhone or time out with the hmmm ...having problem with connection, and everything is perfect after I open the phone and use the cellular radios on second attempts.

I’m sure there’s other bugs but I’ve found this one solvable by simply turning my iPhone 11 Pro ‘on‘ after I’m down the block a bit and everything is fine. She is still very one dimensional, oftentimes gets transcriptions wrong and wrong ugly, but she has improved immensely IMO, it’s not easy, as we all talk/speak differently, even in the same languages with different accents and the like. I’m impressed with how well it does work in loud environments and the accuracy rate’s climbing all the time

Gran Maestro

macrumors newbie
Hello neoelectronaut, I know this wan’t help you much but I wanted to let people know that I am in the same boat as most of here (iPhone SE + Watch s4/40 loosing connection) however, battery life is really great.
Ironically it’s actually improving over time. If I have an easy day, mostly at home and little activity, I will be left with average 50% charge using the Watch for at least 18 hrs.
If I have a active day with more than 1 h workout (mainly swimming) + 5 km walking I will be left with 35%. This is entirely satisfactory, best Watch I had so far and the opposite you are experiencing.

Regretfully the “connection lost“ issue makes using the Watch for answering almost impossible.
This issue has indeed shown up with the advent of the WatchOS 6 upgrade.

/P

Reactions: Saludos

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Still nothing on this front I assume? Between this, poor cell coverage in general, and the need for a new battery, I dunno if I'm gonna make it to September with my current iPhone SE.

Unfortunately replacing it right now is folly, as the only iPhones I'd want to replace it with don't make a whole lot of sense financially. For instance, Best Buy had a 256GB iPhone X for $649 last week but dropping $650 to replace the iPhone I bought that was released in 2017 with another iPhone that was released in 2017 seems pretty dumb.

Saludos

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Still nothing on this front I assume? Between this, poor cell coverage in general, and the need for a new battery, I dunno if I'm gonna make it to September with my current iPhone SE.

Unfortunately replacing it right now is folly, as the only iPhones I'd want to replace it with don't make a whole lot of sense financially. For instance, Best Buy had a 256GB iPhone X for $649 last week but dropping $650 to replace the iPhone I bought that was released in 2017 with another iPhone that was released in 2017 seems pretty dumb.
Still no news. We are entering the 6th month. I repeat it again: in years with apple I’ve never seen such a level of arrogance. The bug is serious, compromises main functions of our Apple watches. No official statement, no apologies, no solutions. Since 6 months. SHAME ON YOU, APPLE

kartana

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010
I have notice a similar weird and sluggish behavior when I use my SE to enter text that gets send to my Apple TV. You know when you type you mail address for logins etc. It's often times really slow and sluggish. Like I finished typing the text on my SE already and I can see on my Apple TV how every letter comes in one by one as if I typed it really slow. Like there is some problem with the transmission or whatever.

I would assume it's the same with my Apple Watch. When I tell it Siri to set a reminder and it takes forever or doesn't work at all. 90% of the time I have to go to my iPhone and use it to set a reminder.

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
Has anyone tried the 13.4 iOS update with the 6.2 Watch OS update to see if this fixes our problems noted in this thread? Thank you.

Illusion500

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2016
Has anyone tried the 13.4 iOS update with the 6.2 Watch OS update to see if this fixes our problems noted in this thread? Thank you.

I have and had no improvement

I wonder if this is related to the problem I have with Siri being activated by Bluetooth devices. I realized the other day that since upgrading the iOS on my iPhone SE to 13.xx I have a problem remotely activating Siri. I have an after market audio system in my vehicle and it has a button to activate a phone's voice assistant. Prior to 13.xx it would work flawlessly to initiate Siri through the vehicle's audio system. But now, it often fails. When it does fail the only solution I have found is to reboot the phone. I have a similar issue with my Aftershokz Bluetooth headset.

jimithing1

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2008
I'm running into an issue since updating to 6.2 on my S5. I had a few Siri shortcuts setup and they were working fine before 6.2 but since updating they have stopped working. All I get now is "i'm sorry but I can't do that." Anyone else having issues with Siri shortcuts since updating?

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
Have not tried shortcuts. It sounds like Apple is far from fixing the main issues in this thread. Sad to say this will never get fixed probably due to this being a Bluetooth 4.2 issue (iphone SE; 6s; 7) as there are little to no complaints with Bluetooth 5.0 (iphone 8 and higher).

Saludos

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Have not tried shortcuts. It sounds like Apple is far from fixing the main issues in this thread. Sad to say this will never get fixed probably due to this being a Bluetooth 4.2 issue (iphone SE; 6s; 7) as there are little to no complaints with Bluetooth 5.0 (iphone 8 and higher).
I can confirm: there are no solution till now. My last call with an apple support advisor was yesterday. (I’ve spent hours with Apple support). Yes, they ARE aware of the issue. But they don’t now when they’ll fix it. Since september what they say is “maybe the next update will fix it”. It’s EIGHT months. We didn’t received apologies, compensation, solutions. I can’t accept this. My AW works at its 50% after watchos 6 and iOS 13, the main functions are broken (calls drop, you can’t dictate messages, Siri doesn’t work anymore, my AirPods disconnect every time I invoke Siri on my Apple Watch). I think it’s a lawyer thing now

I can’t understand why Macrumors doesn’t dedicate an article about this issue.

stompbox

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
Hey guys, not only SE.
This started for me on WatchOS6 with iPhone X as well.
BTW, this doesn't happen on series 5 (of course) running same WatchOS.

Saludos

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Hello everybody. Could please someone check if Apple haa cancelled tha thread about our issue On Apple discussion pages? I wanted to post that even the last update didn’t solved the bug, I can’t open the page (“not found” message...). Really strange. If the page was intentionally deleted, it’s very serious. Thanks for the help

Collywobbles

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2017
Wondering if anybody else is experiencing intermittent problems with Siri on an Apple Watch series 4 after updating to WatchOS6 and IOS 13?

The symptoms are that intermittently (about 75% of the time) when I ask Siri using the watch for something she stalls for several seconds then either tells me to “hang on a minute” or “working on it” then failing, to takes several seconds before startup no to answer but her voice is cut off after a second or two long before she has finished.

She does, from time to time, work very quickly. There is no pattern to how she is going to respond.

The failures occur on diverse questions such as the weather, a maths calculation, an enquiry for which Siri must access the web or anything else.

I have tried resetting the network on my iPhone SE iOS 13, rebooted the watch, reset the watch to factory settings and repaired with the iPhone, inside on the house WiFi and outside on 4g but the problem persists.

Before the update Siri worked perfectly on the watch, very snappy and successful with what I asked her.

My watch is the 44mm series 4, iPhone as above.

I went into my local Apple store and they had not heard of this fault but apparently I’ve covered everything they would do so their advice was to hope it’s fixed in the next release. I have seen another thread about problems with Siri shortcuts on the latest release watchOS which could be linked I suppose?

I can’t be the only one in the world with this issue surely!

watchOS 6.2.1 Siri and HomeKit is now completely buggered. Such an improvement on only partially buggered. Way to go apple, you’re doing a great job!

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
I noticed recently that Siri says something different than "Uh-Oh, lost the connection, let me try again." It's now something much less concerning like "Oops, hold on a sec."

Makes it less obvious to folks that are unaware that there's an ongoing issue.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I just received my new SE 2020 and have been testing Siri with my series 5 watch. Thus far, no problems like I was having with the original SE and Apple Watch series 5. Haven’t experienced any Siri lost connection errors etc.

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
I just received my new SE 2020 and have been testing Siri with my series 5 watch. Thus far, no problems like I was having with the original SE and Apple Watch series 5. Haven’t experienced any Siri lost connection errors etc. having with the original SE and Apple Watch series 5. Haven’t experienced any Siri lost connection errors etc.
Very happy with your new device and finding no encounters with our issues. I am believing Apple will not fix our issues, resigning instead to hoping more of us will do the same.

actcyclist

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
It's very disappointing that Siri still seems to be so unreliable on the Apple Watch 4. This might be the last Apple Watch I buy, I'm kind of getting over having another device that I need to work out how to fix.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I wonder if this issue is related to my current Apple Watch battery woes. My battery life lasts around 12 hours when it used to be around 18+. I feel like it started around the time this issue first cropped up, so it seems really coincidental if that's not the case.

AnnonKneeMoosee

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2017
Holy Guacamole!
THERE'S AN EASY FIX...

Go into Settings on the iPhone, and turn off bluetooth. Wait a bit, then turn it on again. Presto!
I read this must be done in Settings for the fix to work.

This is a special blend of Swiss cheese and guacamole. I call it, "Holy Moley!"
--Fred G. Sanford, of Sanford and Son

Last edited:

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
I wonder how many Airpods connectivity issues I've had over the last twelve months have been down to me using an iPhone SE. The way some talk about 'em online they act like they work like magic but I've never found mine to be all that reliable.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
iOS 13.5 (7 plus) watchOS 6.2.5 (S3) and I'm having the same issue. I got my first watch on watchOS 6 and this has been the only Siri I've experienced which has really turned me away from using Siri on my watch, sadly. I hope this can get fixed in watchOS 7.

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
I've been leaving my phone at home more recently and just taking the AW. So I noticed this on my S4 last week. Out and about, on cellular with my APP's listening to music. I get a message. I look at it and dictate a reply and it sends. An hour later, get another message, reply and dictation failed. That's all I get. Restart AW. Try to dictate - and it fails. nothing.

I got a new S5 yesterday.

I'm out today - exact same scenario. I can dictate. Then an hour later - it fails. Restart watch. It does not work.

Go into setting on AW, Bluetooth - forget my APP's and --- Now it works just fine. No problem.

So for me the problem is my Airpods - they somehow lose the connection for dictation even though they still play music and control my music...

Saludos

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Are there any news about this case? On my last call with Apple (Yesterday) i had the same old reply: “yes, our engineers are aware about this issue affecting AW running WatchOS 6 paired with original iPhone SE. please wait for updates...”. Since last September, 10 months with this serious bug! Has someone here received better answers? (A real shame this case anyway)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.