Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
risc said:
Did I just hear the sound of something flying straight over your head?
No, no... I was just being too subtle. Plus, of course, it's not like I've defended the mini in dozens of posts over the last couple of days or anything like that.

generik said:
The true solution whether you wish to admit it or not is this
OK, maybe what I wrote wasn't funny, but it's a lot funnier than piracy.

TheDPR

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2005
My only real problem with the new Mini is the price increase. I understand the reasoning. Better computer = higher price. Higher initial price = unloading old G4 versions easier + can lower price later.

But I am skeptical. I worry that Apple won't be lowering the prices even after the old stock is moved out. So from now on Apple no longer has an inexpensive computer in the lineup. Would it have hurt them to at least throw us a bone by including a keyboard and mouse?

The iMac is a fantastic deal for the price. I'm afraid the Mac Mini is not.

bennyek

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2002
The O.C.
Just want to add my 2 cents. I picked up the core solo yesterday to use hooked up in my bedroom and strem content from my g5 iMac in my office. I hooked it up to my 30" LCD and was floored by the ease and convenience of Front Row. I got this machine strickly for the content streaming option. I am over these people wanting it to be a powermac. It is NOT!! I can't be happier with my purchase.
So to review... If you want a powerhouse machine get a quad proc G5 if you want a nice little Home Media hub, get the mac mini.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
TheDPR said:
I worry that Apple won't be lowering the prices even after the old stock is moved out.
I think that's a reasonable assumption - they almost never lower prices, but they do at times release new revs at lower prices. I think it'll be six months before a cheaper mini is available.

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
Just...epic!

Props to you, JSW. That had me laughing my butt off! Very nicely done...BTW, you decided to wait for the upgraded minis to hit your local store? I don't know how you can do it, man...my willpower is not that strong! Especially after all the first reviews coming in about how awesome it really is and you've got one sitting right next to you...I would have had it open in a shot! :eek: :D Can't wait to finally hear your review...

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
atari1356 said:
And those people who need PCI express slots can pay the extra to biggie size it up to a Mac Large. :)
I can hear it now at my next visit to the Apple drive through:

Would you like the combo, that includes a mouse and keyboard on the side? Care to "super size" that today?

What's most amusing to me about that is that the mini is already smaller than a supersize meal at McD, and much better for your health.

B

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
iHeartTheApple said:
BTW, you decided to wait for the upgraded minis to hit your local store? I don't know how you can do it, man...my willpower is not that strong!
Yeah, having that thing sitting here and not opening it is harder than... well, I'm sure Patches O'Houlihan in Dodgeball would have a colorful phrase, likely involving the phrases "schoolboys" and "Vegas whorehouse", but I can't come up with one. It is not easy, let me tell you. But... I want more RAM, I'm afraid (somewhat) to install it myself in a mini, and so I'll wait. Probably.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
cube said:
Yes, size of the mini is a dissapointment...

...but because it is too small to put a 3.5" hard disk and two normal DIMM slots!!
So what would you want, this? :confused:

That's not very mini... (and where would you get a putty knife that long?)

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
That's hilarious.

Sadly, there are a ton of serious comments that come dangerously close to that.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
iMeowbot said:
So what would you want, this? :confused:

That's not very mini... (and where would you get a putty knife that long?)
I think there should be a parallel port there too, as well as a serial port. You know, to make the switchers feel at home.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
cube said:
Yes, size of the mini is a dissapointment...

...but because it is too small to put a 3.5" hard disk and two normal DIMM slots!!

Someone needs to get their sarcasm checked...

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
jsw said:
I want more RAM, I'm afraid (somewhat) to install it myself in a mini, and so I'll wait. Probably.

I agree completely...I would not have minded the old mini ram replacement (even though cracking the thing open at all scares me :eek: ), but the whole "let's remove the whole drive assembly to get to the so-dimms" doesn't sit well with me. I'll be buying mine BTO online...

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
IJ Reilly said:
I don't like the color. Why not taupe? Khaki? Mauve?
[sarcasm]As far as I'm concerned, they're all the color of cr*p.[/sarcasm]

Actually, I'm pretty sure there are a number of companies that paint them. I know you were joking, but I could see a thriving market in mini painting....

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
jsw said:
I think there should be a parallel port there too, as well as a serial port. You know, to make the switchers feel at home.
Those are on the front, with the PS/2 ports and PCjr expansion chassis connector.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Perhaps there is a market for the Mac Shuffle. It would be the same size as a Airport Express. It will use the 4 GB drive found in the Nano. Low price.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
BornAgainMac said:
Perhaps there is a market for the Mac Shuffle. It would be the same size as a Airport Express. It will use the 4 GB drive found in the Nano. Low price.

Exactly! I want a Mac I can lose between the sofa cushions. In taupe. Come on, Apple get it in gear already!

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
jsw said:
And the 7-in-1 media card reader? Please?
All right, here's rev. B, but this is my final offer.

You get parallel/serial/VGA/PS2, multi-flash, tubes for the audiophiles and a meter to monitor the 1250W power supply. And all for $49.98!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
iMeowbot said:
All right, here's rev. B, but this is my final offer.

You get parallel/serial/VGA/PS2, multi-flash, tubes for the audiophiles and a meter to monitor the 1250W power supply. And all for $49.98!
That rocks!!!

I was hopin' for some neon, but, hey, for $50, it's pretty cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.