Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
notjustjay said:
That is some power supply! :eek:
Oh, that's just cooling for the GPUs.

This is the power supply.
1980.jpg

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
FWIW, I edited the OP to note that this was intended as a attempt at humor, not an actual trashing of the mini.

From many of the replies here, it would seem that my sarcasm was too subdued. I thought that the CB radio comment would seal the deal, but I guess you can never be sure.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
iMeowbot said:
Oh, that's just cooling for the GPUs.

This is the power supply.
1980.jpg
Oh, man - that is just so freaking amazing I can't believe it! A NUCLEAR PLANT included for a $50 price? Excellent! Apple is FINALLY starting to price MACs like they should have all along!! PCs rule! But I might have to buy the MAC because the nuclear cooling towers would look so friggin' great next to my Alienware setup!

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
jsw said:
FWIW, I edited the OP to note that this was intended as a attempt at humor, not an actual trashing of the mini.

From many of the replies here, it would seem that my sarcasm was too subdued. I thought that the CB radio comment would seal the deal, but I guess you can never be sure.

You mean this wasn't a "real" beat down the Mini thread :eek: Great and I just canceled my order for a Mini Core Duo ;) Well as a fan boy I really only canceled the other two but still kept one :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Artful Dodger said:
You mean this wasn't a "real" beat down the Mini thread :eek: Great and I just canceled my order for a Mini Core Duo ;) Well as a fan boy I really only canceled the other two but still kept one :)
Cool, man - you gotta at least get one so you can know how to properly diss it online. Plus, of course, you can crack it open and put a proper PC in there. ;)

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
jsw said:
Oh, man - that is just so freaking amazing I can't believe it! A NUCLEAR PLANT included for a $50 price? Excellent! Apple is FINALLY starting to price MACs like they should have all along!! PCs rule! But I might have to buy the MAC because the nuclear cooling towers would look so friggin' great next to my Alienware setup!

You know, looking at that setup I could by a piece of glass and make a cool coffee table, with rice warmimg areas and have the mini as a center piece/coaster for drinks in my living room :D
PC, you mean popcorn and watch some movies ;)

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
i don't even plan to power mine up, don't want to face that kind of disappointment. i just got it to hold my drink when i'm at my desk. it's the perfect height. ok, maybe i'll turn it on, but no monitor or anything. the Core Duo can keep my coffee warm at twice the speed of my G4. that's 2D coffee only of course.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
jsw said:

Not to worry -- it wouldn't be satire if everybody got it. ;)

roxnadz

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2006
jsw said:
It can't play state-of-the-art 3D games at full speed, it can't do true HD video, Office apps are slow because of Rosetta... in short, the integrated video makes the mini of no value whatsoever to 99.9% of the market.

If Apple would have just done all that instead of producing the steaming pile of... uselessness that is the Intel mini, I bet they could have shaved an inch off the height.

They didn't even try, so count me as yet another disappointed reviewer.

Oh man, this is comedy gold. :D

Anybody who read this and took it seriously? You need to go buy yourself a funny bone. Tonight.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
roxnadz said:
Anybody who read this and took it seriously? You need to go buy yourself a funny bone. Tonight.
I certainly understand that a lot of people won't find it funny (I'm glad a few of you did), but for the life of me I don't get how anyone could have taken it as a serious post.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
jsw said:
I certainly understand that a lot of people won't find it funny (I'm glad a few of you did), but for the life of me I don't get how anyone could have taken it as a serious post.

the problem is no one can be arsed to actually read posts before they reply to them anymore. they just read the title, maybe the first few lines and are like, "oh a mac mini bashing thread... for shizzle!!!" :p

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
jsw said:

Meh...

I hate to be the whiny one on this thread, but that doesn't look very portable. Nuclei are pretty small and don't weigh much.., why can't Apple make a portable nuclear power plant??

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
iMeowbot said:
All right, here's rev. B, but this is my final offer.

You get parallel/serial/VGA/PS2, multi-flash, tubes for the audiophiles and a meter to monitor the 1250W power supply. And all for $49.98!

Sorry, but I need two serial ports - one for my serial mouse and another for my 300 baud modem. Unless Apple add another serial port, I'm selling all my Mac stuff and buying an Atari ST from eBay. And where the hell can I plug in my MFM hard drives and my 8" floppy drive? Hopeless.

I hear integrated graphics kill kittens and steal babies. Osama bin Laden uses a laptop with integrated graphics. Jesus uses one with a GeForce 7800GTX++++ExtremeSuperDuperEdition. Think about it before you hand your money over to Crapple.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
If Apple would have just done all that instead of producing the steaming pile of... uselessness that is the Intel mini, I bet they could have shaved an inch off the height.
I just felt like pointing out that, a few nitpicks aside (Apple can't ever do anything right), they've pretty much mimicked my idea in the Apple TV. Yeah, there's a hard drive (sort of... it's barely big enough to store my Ellen Feiss videos) and there's AirPort (which helps make the damned thing hot enough to cook eggs on... what is it with Apple and hot products? Too much catering to Paris Hilton??). But no Bluetooth, only one USB port (good call - who needs two?), and TV out (but no b&w TV support... boo!). But they did shave off that inch (but made it fatter).

And who's buying it? Little geek hackers. As predicted. "Oooh look... I can turn a $300 gadget into a $100 linux box! Take that, Captain Kirk!" "Oooh! I can watch my old Transformer cartoons on my mom's big 60 inch plasma TV (when she's not watching HGTV and after I've done my homework and finished leveling up a hobbit or two in Wow... oooh... wait... can I play Wow on the Apple TV? Score!)."

Way to go Apple! I guess, at least, if those pasties go buy one on a sunny day, that extra vitamin D just might save their lives. Especially since they also need to head over to Radio Shack because you forgot to include the cables.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Way to go Apple! I guess, at least, if those pasties go buy one on a sunny day, that extra vitamin D just might save their lives. Especially since they also need to head over to Radio Shack because you forgot to include the cables.
Having a bad day by any chance?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.