Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Daedalus256 said:
Jsw, I think I love you.
:eek: Gosh, thanks. I'm just trying to provide honest, hard-hitting, fair and balanced reviews of Apple products.

Daedalus256

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
The thing is...

forums like MR are so filled with fanboys that just LOVE apple and never see any flaw in anything that happens to them. It's good to see a demi-god actually standing up and saying "Hey, they REALLY screwed up here!" instead of saying "They screwed up? FINE I'll just buy one instead of 5 this time! THAT'LL TEACH YOU STEVE JOBS"

:)

Personally I think the new mini is a poor excuse for an entry level machine. hell it's a poor excuse for a machine at all. I mean seriously the $300 Dell Dimensions have Intel Integrated Graphics.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I'm not afraid to say Apple screws up now and then. Everyone does. Using Intel Integrated Graphics is a big mistake... one that I hope is fixed in the near future.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
iMeowbot said:
All right, here's rev. B, but this is my final offer.

You get parallel/serial/VGA/PS2, multi-flash, tubes for the audiophiles and a meter to monitor the 1250W power supply. And all for $49.98!

first of all, you gotta replace that powered 6 pin firewire with the PC standard "iLink" 4 pin variety. and i don't see the familiar pink and green color coding around the audio jacks. the hallmark of quality and style.

rockandrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
iMeowbot said:

You get parallel/serial/VGA/PS2, multi-flash, tubes for the audiophiles and a meter to monitor the 1250W power supply. And all for $49.98!

That's sweet and all, but this is supposed to be a Proliner..... FIREWIRE 800! At least 12, PLEASE! And maybe SLI, haha.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
All right, all right. Sorry, no i.Link, but with FW800, a tasteful array of blue LEDs under the lid, quality color audio connectors and prestige styling, I think that we have the Apple entry level system that everyone really wants.

Eat your heart out, Ive.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
iMeowbot said:
All right, all right. Sorry, no i.Link, but with FW800, a tasteful array of blue LEDs under the lid, quality color audio connectors and prestige styling, I think that we have the Apple entry level system that everyone really wants.

Eat your heart out, Ive.

Jesus, what about the coffee can muffler?

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
88 Miles Per Hour!

Don't forget the Flux Capacitor. After all, "it's what makes time travel possible". :)

Attachments

• mini.jpg
    mini.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 106

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
Mac mini lets you have more fun with your music, photos and movies, more quickly and more easily. Enjoy them up close or far away with the included Apple Remote.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
iMeowbot said:

Eat your heart out, Ive.

LOL, the Type R decal is priceless.

Lethal

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I wanted the mini for X-Plane.

I don't think I should reward Apple with buying an Intel Power Mac instead.
As they switched to x86, it's no worse if I build a Linux box (actually, slightly better because it will be AMD).

The right thing would be Solaris/SPARC, but there's stuff that is only available for Linux.

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
iMeowbot said:

Eat your heart out, Ive.

No modem.
Typical cheap-**** Apple.
I'll never buy an Apple product again.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
plinkoman said:
your forgetting eSATA :p
Oh, please. :rolleyes: This is an entry level system!

kiwi-in-uk said:
No modem.
Typical cheap-**** Apple.
I'll never buy an Apple product again.
Well DUH, the modem is integrated with the video card cooler. It's right there next to the master switch :rolleyes:

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
surely by now, ya'll DO realize that:

all your whinings,
all your mini's,
all your ports,
all your modems,
all your pictures,
all your fanboys,
all your screw-ups
AND all your graphics.....

are belong to us anyways :D

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
More headlines from today's paper:

"Integrated graphics blamed for African famine"

"Jesus delays second coming till rev b Intel mini: blames integrated graphics"

"Iraq and Iran declare peace but foiled by integrated graphics on new Mac."

"Osama Bin Laden quotes in new terrorist video - 'death to the GMA950'"

"Global warming shown to be slowing down"

Retraction - yesterday's story regarding the state of global warming has been retracted as the study was conducted with integrated graphics on new Mac.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
iMeowbot said:

There's something deeply wrong with me.

I looked at that picture, and actually thought "Cooooool!":eek:

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
jsw said:
Having read through the many, many, many posts regarding integrated graphics on the new mini, and seeing proof that it doesn't produce optimal frame rates when running WoW and also might occasionally hiccup when doing true HD video (with a whopping 512MB installed), I've decided that the integrated graphics make the mini nearly useless.

My understanding is the Core Duo Mac mini runs 1080p with no slow down. The unit should be great at all the iLife apps including digital video editing and MS Office should be universal soon. For someone like me who wants to run the iLife apps for a home personal computer and save gaming for a Windows box how is the Mac mini NOT a perfect computer?

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
canyonblue737 said:
My understanding is the Core Duo Mac mini runs 1080p with no slow down. The unit should be great at all the iLife apps including digital video editing and MS Office should be universal soon. For someone like me who wants to run the iLife apps for a home personal computer and save gaming for a Windows box how is the Mac mini NOT a perfect computer?

IF it runs 1080p with no slow down, and IF using shared memory doesn't cause Quartz Extreme to bog down, particularly when using Expose with more than a couple of windows open; then it could be a very, very nice machine. Time will tell.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
whooleytoo said:
IF it runs 1080p with no slow down, and IF using shared memory doesn't cause Quartz Extreme to bog down, particularly when using Expose with more than a couple of windows open; then it could be a very, very nice machine. Time will tell.

well there have already been forum reports stating that the Core Solo version chugs with 1080p but runs 720p smoothly. additional reports say the Core Duo version runs 1080p at no more than 130% processor usage (dual processor obviously) and smooth as glass. Early anecdotal reports state that the desktop and iLife apps are totally snappy on either machine. I intend to put 1GB in mine and expect a smooth and snappy OS, good use of iLife apps (and universal binary version of Office when it arrives) and will never use it for games (which I will have a Windows machine for since gaming on a Mac still leaves much to be desired anyway.) It seems for me that the Mac mini will likely be a great machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.