Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairwillis

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
Its the Spider Larve burrowing into your brain. Don't worry you will be just like us soon.

The larvae are hungry, which is why it happens when "you" are hungry. You must feed the alien spider larvae.

Oh, and don't worry about your doctor's reaction. He's one of us already, and he'll just tell you to relax and let it happen. Really, it is much better this way, you'll see.

P.S. The spider larvae are loyal to Steve Jobs. Of course, you probably already know that by now. Welcome to the family.

• Haha
Reactions: PC_tech

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
lol. just what I want. the one bug I hate more than anything else living in my brain.... great.

Guess this gives me something to use the $260 dollars my employer gave me this year for medical expenses.

blairwillis

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
Please take a picture of your employer after you tell him you need the afternoon off to see the doctor about the spider larvae sizzling in your neck. Please. Post it here, or better yet just video and youtube it. Please. I am begging you. The spiders are begging you.

But seriously, go see the doc. And we all really want to know what happens, so get back to us on this. I speak for all of us. And the spiders.

blairwillis

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
I was a Firefighter/EMT and not much bugs me. ...Pun absolutely positively intended. That was freaky. I've got a good friend in Panama that I planned to go visit next winter. This video has me seriously reconsidering. No joke. I don't ever, ever, ever, ever want that thing under my skin.

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
Here's what you should do, in this order.

1. Grab a mic and record the sound for us, and post it here.
2. Go to a doctor.

I was trying to think of a way to do this... but I don't know if it would even pick it up or not. I don't have anything I can carry with me all day to record the noise when it happens though.

I guess I'm going to the doctor next week. On-call this week is proving to suck more than usual, so I have a few days to figure out how to get a recording of it.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I get that every once in awhile too. What you're hearing is your spinal fluid percolating. It sounds like 7up soda right after you've poured it into the glass, right? ;)

I've heard it once or twice....sounds like if the soup has finish on the stove and its boiling over(spagetti in the can yumm!)...but its never heard by the whole office

Get yourself check out

Bless

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
OK, it's been a few weeks and no report.... Should we assume the larvae hatched and you didn't survive? :(

LOL. Nah, I'm still alive. I just haven't scheduled an appointment to see the doctor yet. I was hoping to get to it last week, but I kept putting it off.

I'll make an attempt at getting in later on this week or early next.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
You sure it's your neck? I've had weird noises come from my eardrums, especially when I am congested. And I perforated my eardrum on a plane once, and it sounded like someone was making microwave popcorn in my ear for almost 20 minutes. Any chance it could be traveling down from your sinuses but it feels like it's coming from your neck?

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
You sure it's your neck? I've had weird noises come from my eardrums, especially when I am congested. And I perforated my eardrum on a plane once, and it sounded like someone was making microwave popcorn in my ear for almost 20 minutes. Any chance it could be traveling down from your sinuses but it feels like it's coming from your neck?

Hmmm... nope. It's definitely centered at the base of my neck. A coworker of mine also says he has the same thing.

I've pretty much asked just about everyone I can think of if they've ever heard of it before, without any luck. I can't even really find anything about it online. I've seen a few things, but nothing definitive.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
I can't even really find anything about it online. I've seen a few things, but nothing definitive.

I can definitively tell you it's spinal fluid and it's perfectly normal. If you're not too careful, you'll find some over zealous doctor that wants to cut into your neck for no damn good reason and paralyze you.

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
I can definitively tell you it's spinal fluid and it's perfectly normal. If you're not too careful, you'll find some over zealous doctor that wants to cut into your neck for no damn good reason and paralyze you.

Hehehe, it doesn't matter what it is... no one is cutting into my neck!

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
I've never really thought much of it... simply because it never seemed threatening and only happens when I'm hungry. Wouldn't have noticed it again today, but I managed to skip breakfast and was starving.

The only problem, is my doctor is going to look at me like I'm a friggin nutcase. I can't exactly reproduce the problem very easily, either.

So, no one else with the same hissing spine?

Just make sure you're very hungry when you go see the doc.

quemba

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2009
Neck Pain

A cracking sound which occurs once as you turn your head but then is not reproducible for a period of time is usually from something called cavitation. I wrote an article on this which you can read on our website (Is The Crack In Your Neck Worth It?). When you twist and bend your neck, you stretch the joints. Inside each joint is a liquid called synovial fluid that contains gases like nitrogen, oxygen and carbon dioxide. This liquid exerts a certain amount of pressure against the ligaments around the joint (called the joint capsule). The stretching causes the pressure inside the joint to drop. When the pressure drops, the ligament gets sucked into the joint and a bubble of carbon dioxide forms. The formation of the bubble creates a popping sound as it comes out of the synovial fluid (cavitation) and increases the volume of synovial fluid temporarily (by about 15%). The increase in volume pushes the ligament back into place creating another popping sound (these occur so fast you hear only one sound). You cannot repeat the snap, crackle, pop for about twenty minutes or until the bubble dissolves back into the synovial fluid.
The other reasons for a cracking sound, and these typically occur on a repeated basis, include changes in the shape of the joints and changes in the thickness of ligaments. If your joints have extra bone (which forms in response to a loss of intervertebral disc height), then as you move your head the extra bone can cause a "collision" - one part of the joint bumps into another part and creates a cracking sound. In some cases the ligaments which attach to the joints will become thicker (again due to changes in the disc height). Occasionally, as you move your head, the ligament will slip over the edge of the bone and you may hear a snap or a cracking sound.

The supplements are:
1. Glucosamine (GLUE-CO-SAH-MEAN)
2. Chondroitin Sulfate (CON-DROY-TIN-SULF-ATE)
3. SAMe (SAMMY)
4. Omega Three Fatty Acids
5. ACES (Vitamin A, C, E, and Selenium)

This web side will help you a lot: (spammy link removed)

Good Luck!

Quemba

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I get that sizzling noise at the back of my neck from time to time too, but only when I'm really, really hungry. I've had my blood pressure checked and it's fine. I've had this sizzling noise for quite some time now. It normally happens about 10-20 minutes after I wake up, before breakfast.

LeahM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2008
Now I want to know what happened.. Hmm, I guess we can assume the larvae hatched.

pandababe263

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
you hear the sizzling too????

actually i have the same problem, (i thought i was the only one lol) i've had it since i was 10, it's annoying but so far it's not caused me any ill effect and it's been 10 years, so i'd go to the doctor but make sure you don't eat from midnight the night before so your super hungry and that way it might happen at the doctors office.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.