Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moabal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Hi,

I have an iPad Pro with the new Magic Keyboard. I love it.

I was considering getting a Dbrand skin for the back of my iPad Pro. Does anyone have a back skin on their iPad Pro with their new magic keyboard? I want to make sure it still works good.

Thanks

Buran

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
Works fine. I have a Slickwraps skin (won't order from them again after their security debacle).

I also have them on the smart keyboard folio and am looking out for skins for the new magic keyboard. Hopefully Dbrand or someone reputable will make some.

Reactions: Raist3001

mattonthemoon

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2007
Toronto, ON
I got my dbrand today since i knew my tablet would be naked sometimes when not in the Magic Keyboard and it works just fine, i also did not notice any negative affects on the magnets.

Reactions: valleian

valleian

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014
New York
After some thought and discussion with others in the MK Order Thread, I decided to go with a dbrand skin as well. I’ve always been a bit weary or just plain disinterested in a skin for any of my products. I never really saw the need for one, but like others have said, if the iPad is gonna be out of its keyboard a portion of the time, it’s a good idea to have some back protection.

I ordered the white marble for my SG iPad Pro 11” (2018), and I applied it yesterday. Other than a few micro-adjustments made during installation, I think it looks great, and has been working seamlessly with the Magic Keyboard ever since.

I hope it holds up over time closer to what a case would.

See pics below:

Attachments

• 3F8FF621-E8A2-4E2C-A436-EBE68606C38F.jpeg
    3F8FF621-E8A2-4E2C-A436-EBE68606C38F.jpeg
    361.2 KB · Views: 3,116
  • A245DF31-70ED-4C0D-A083-829EFA3C03E5.jpeg
    A245DF31-70ED-4C0D-A083-829EFA3C03E5.jpeg
    337.2 KB · Views: 1,460
  • 14F02DE0-DD20-4754-B954-49C18BD8ED57.jpeg
    14F02DE0-DD20-4754-B954-49C18BD8ED57.jpeg
    353.3 KB · Views: 1,643

Mr Retina

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2013
After some thought and discussion with others in the MK Order Thread, I decided to go with a dbrand skin as well. I’ve always been a bit weary or just plain disinterested in a skin for any of my products. I never really saw the need for one, but like others have said, if the iPad is gonna be out of its keyboard a portion of the time, it’s a good idea to have some back protection.

I ordered the white marble for my SG iPad Pro 11” (2018), and I applied it yesterday. Other than a few micro-adjustments made during installation, I think it looks great, and has been working seamlessly with the Magic Keyboard ever since.

I hope it holds up over time closer to what a case would.

See pics below:
Been using D brand for years on all of macs and ipads. quality product, and keeps my devices mint for resale!

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
Works fine. I have a Slickwraps skin (won't order from them again after their security debacle).

I also have them on the smart keyboard folio and am looking out for skins for the new magic keyboard. Hopefully Dbrand or someone reputable will make some.

Dbrand never made a skin for the keyboard folio. I did inquire with them and they told me that there was not enough of a demand for a skin for the folio. So I had to go with the slick wraps which has worked out Really well. Slick wraps does not yet have a skin for the magic keyboard but I am keeping my eyes open.

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH
Hi,

I have an iPad Pro with the new Magic Keyboard. I love it.

I was considering getting a Dbrand skin for the back of my iPad Pro. Does anyone have a back skin on their iPad Pro with their new magic keyboard? I want to make sure it still works good.

Thanks

I have had dbrand on my iPhoneS and iPads for a while now, for the ipad it makes it less slick and at home I tend to use the ipad without a case so the dbrand helps keep the back safe,
[automerge]1587858491[/automerge]
E31DA153-BAD7-441C-9CD0-C0C576B7AC2E.jpeg

Last edited:

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014

I went wits dBrand on my first one and slick wraps on my second because my credit card charges foreign transaction fees. I have not seen any issues but was worried about the Slickwraps security issues. So, next one I will pay the fee for dBrand again.

Tulipo

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
Does anyone know where I can get a skin/sticker for the Apple Logo on the magic keyboard? Silly I know, but I’d like to have some color on the apple logo.

thanks!

Reactions: Livvie

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I'm planning on putting a dBrand skin on my 12.9" iPad Pro as soon as it arrives. I have one of their skins on my Nintendo Switch and I REALLY love it. It looks really cool and also makes it so that I don't have to be so careful sliding it into the dock. For the iPad Pro + Magic Keyboard combination, it will give me the same piece of mind when using it unattached, since I'm assuming I'll be doing a fair amount of that now.

So that problem is already solved, but I have been concerned about the keyboard itself. I know from my previous 11" Smart Keyboard Folio that you only need to touch the exterior a few times before it starts looking gross. I have not yet found any skins that cover the Magic Keyboard, so I decided to order the same skin I had on my 11" SKF--it's from iStyles and I loved it before: https://www.istyles.com/shop/iPad-Pro-12.9inch-Smart-Keyboard-Folio/Skin?q=smart+keyboard+folio

I'm taking a bit of a gamble here. I'm thinking that the actual outer sections of the the Magic Keyboard are the same size as the old Smart Keyboard Folios. I will need to make a modification for the camera assembly, I'm thinking I'll very carefully trace the expanded cut out from an iPhone 11 Pro case to enlarge it and hopefully that will make it fit better around that square. My other option is I could just slice that whole top part off.

Either way, it's going to take some exacto knife magic and I'm going to have to be precise or it's going to look like crap. :)

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
I want to put one on the outside of my Magic Keyboard to make it look better and feel better than it does. However, I have heard from those that have put stickers or skins on the previous editions of the Keyboard Folio that the rubberized material really is damaged if you ever take the sticker/skin off. Has anyone else had that experience?

I have a Dbrand skin on the back of my iPad Pro 11” and it’s awesome. Works just fine with the Magic Keyboard and it stays protected.

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
I'm planning on putting a dBrand skin on my 12.9" iPad Pro as soon as it arrives. I have one of their skins on my Nintendo Switch and I REALLY love it. It looks really cool and also makes it so that I don't have to be so careful sliding it into the dock. For the iPad Pro + Magic Keyboard combination, it will give me the same piece of mind when using it unattached, since I'm assuming I'll be doing a fair amount of that now.

So that problem is already solved, but I have been concerned about the keyboard itself. I know from my previous 11" Smart Keyboard Folio that you only need to touch the exterior a few times before it starts looking gross. I have not yet found any skins that cover the Magic Keyboard, so I decided to order the same skin I had on my 11" SKF--it's from iStyles and I loved it before: https://www.istyles.com/shop/iPad-Pro-12.9inch-Smart-Keyboard-Folio/Skin?q=smart+keyboard+folio

I'm taking a bit of a gamble here. I'm thinking that the actual outer sections of the the Magic Keyboard are the same size as the old Smart Keyboard Folios. I will need to make a modification for the camera assembly, I'm thinking I'll very carefully trace the expanded cut out from an iPhone 11 Pro case to enlarge it and hopefully that will make it fit better around that square. My other option is I could just slice that whole top part off.

Either way, it's going to take some exacto knife magic and I'm going to have to be precise or it's going to look like crap. :)

I have an extra slickwraps skin for my 12.9” folio keyboard and it does not fit the new 12.9 magic keyboard. The outer sections on the magic keyboard are larger.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I want to put one on the outside of my Magic Keyboard to make it look better and feel better than it does. However, I have heard from those that have put stickers or skins on the previous editions of the Keyboard Folio that the rubberized material really is damaged if you ever take the sticker/skin off. Has anyone else had that experience?

I have a Dbrand skin on the back of my iPad Pro 11” and it’s awesome. Works just fine with the Magic Keyboard and it stays protected.
I just removed an iStyles from my 11” SKF and it did zero damage.
[automerge]1587933468[/automerge]
I have an extra slickwraps skin for my 12.9” folio keyboard and it does not fit the new 12.9 magic keyboard. The outer sections on the magic keyboard are larger.
I actually think larger is fine with me. Smaller would be much more of a problem because I’d have to cut more material away.

moabal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010

When they start selling iPad Magic Keyboard skins, please post it in this thread. I might consider getting one. After looking at my old folio keyboard it was starting to get “yucky” on the outside even though I took good care of it.

Reactions: ejin222

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
When they start selling iPad Magic Keyboard skins, please post it in this thread. I might consider getting one. After looking at my old folio keyboard it was starting to get “yucky” on the outside even though I took good care of it.

I definitely will. Once I saw how my folio keyboard was getting grimy even though I cleaned it regularly, I opted for the slickwraps skin. And I loved it. I sent an email to DBrand to see if they would be making a skin for the magic keyboard. One of their robots responded and told me that they were considering making a skin and to stay tuned.

soundwarp

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2009
any pics of how yours looks now?

moabal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
any pics of how yours looks now?

I don’t have it on me. It’s just the texture feels ”off” and grimy. The outside of the iPad Pro Magic Keyboard is of the same quality so I imagine it would wear the same.
[automerge]1587940257[/automerge]
I definitely will. Once I saw how my folio keyboard was getting grimy even though I cleaned it regularly, I opted for the slickwraps skin. And I loved it. I sent an email to DBrand to see if they would be making a skin for the magic keyboard. One of their robots responded and told me that they were considering making a skin and to stay tuned.

Appreciate it. Look forward to hearing from you.

Troymsm

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2020

how much bigger? Would it still work with just more of the MK border showing? Any pictures?

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005

If you take the stickers off carefully, it won’t damage the material. If you just yank them off, they can lift the top layer of the material away from the base. That looks like similar damage that I’ve seen some people post where the folio is discoloured and bubbling/rippling.

But, any sort of sticker does lead to the folio becoming faded underneath, so when you take the sticker off, there’s a visible outline of it left. However, I’m starting to think that‘s a better option than oily/greasy finger prints...

Reactions: rp2011

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
If you take the stickers off carefully, it won’t damage the material. If you just yank them off, they can lift the top layer of the material away from the base. That looks like similar damage that I’ve seen some people post where the folio is discoloured and bubbling/rippling.

But, any sort of sticker does lead to the folio becoming faded underneath, so when you take the sticker off, there’s a visible outline of it left. However, I’m starting to think that‘s a better option than oily/greasy finger prints...
Me too. I LOVE this thing...but the material they use is subpar, IMO. I used it outside yesterday on my patio furniture and everything just sticks to it. It has to constantly be wiped down if it’s going to look clean and professional at all. Whatever skin comes out, though...I hope they do the cutout thing around the logo. I kinda like that look. ?

Reactions: ascender

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have had dbrand on my iPhoneS and iPads for a while now, for the ipad it makes it less slick and at home I tend to use the ipad without a case so the dbrand helps keep the back safe,
[automerge]1587858491[/automerge]
View attachment 909366
I bought the same one you have on your 12.9" for mine (11") just a couple days ago, actually. Looks like it might be grippy without picking up grime. Ordered it without the Apple logo cutout to further minimize scratches since I figure I'll be putting down on a table at least some of the time.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I bought the same one you have on your 12.9" for mine (11") just a couple days ago, actually. Looks like it might be grippy without picking up grime. Ordered it without the Apple logo cutout to further minimize scratches since I figure I'll be putting down on a table at least some of the time.

I originally ordered mine with the Apple cutout and then realized that was a dumb move since its main function would be scratch protection. I emailed them immediately and they changed it for me. dBrand is a really good company and I've been pleased with their products so far. Slickwraps on the other hand--holy crap they are slow and their customer service is terrible.

• Love
Reactions: rp2011 and caligurl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.