Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
So these will fit on the magic keyboard for the iPad Pro and not just the Smart Keyboard folio?
Sort of. They’re close enough. But you’ll have to do some modifying for the camera area.

update: sorry, should have followed the link. You probably don’t have to modify the camera hole on these, but they aren’t a 100% exact fit. That being said, the ones I applied were absolutely a good enough fit that they still look very nice and will provide protection from grime and fingerprints.

Reactions: batristain

omelet1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
Sort of. They’re close enough. But you’ll have to do some modifying for the camera area.

update: sorry, should have followed the link. You probably don’t have to modify the camera hole on these, but they aren’t a 100% exact fit. That being said, the ones I applied were absolutely a good enough fit that they still look very nice and will provide protection from grime and fingerprints.

I’ve attached a picture of the 2018 iPad Pro 11 iPad Smart Keyboard with a decal on it beside the new iPad Pro 11 Magic Keyboard. Basically the back doesn’t line up as you can see with the picture. The smaller area on the back of the 2018 Smart Keyboard is larger and the larger area is smaller when compared to the Magic Keyboard.

That being said, it’s not an issue if the dimensions of the 2020 iPad Pro 11 Smart Keyboard are a bit different on the back.

Attachments

• 00DEDA73-3FBA-42FD-905D-D137D37D7EB1.jpeg
    00DEDA73-3FBA-42FD-905D-D137D37D7EB1.jpeg
    447.5 KB · Views: 454

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I’ve attached a picture of the 2018 iPad Pro 11 iPad Smart Keyboard with a decal on it beside the new iPad Pro 11 Magic Keyboard. Basically the back doesn’t line up as you can see with the picture. The smaller area on the back of the 2018 Smart Keyboard is larger and the larger area is smaller when compared to the Magic Keyboard.

That being said, it’s not an issue if the dimensions of the 2020 iPad Pro 11 Smart Keyboard are a bit different on the back.
That does seem like a more drastic difference than I was expecting. I used a 12.9” 2018 Smart Keyboard Folio decal for my 12.9” Magic Keyboard. The solid half of the keyboard (the side with no hinge break) is a tad too small, but looks fine anyway. On the other side, the portion with the camera cut out needed to be modified to fit around the camera, but it was about the right size. The other portion was just every so slightly too big—I‘m talking like maybe a millimeter—so I kind of just smooshed it down around the ridge and that worked pretty well.

I’m sure Decal Girl will release and official one shortly, but I’m happy enough with how this one fit that I doubt I’ll buy one.

drkknte

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2017
Well, I bit the bullet and puchased one of these. It says its for the SK, but I’ll post what it looks like on the MK. Notice the camera cutout.

1588443057346.jpeg

911jason

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2020
Simi Valley, California
Well, I bit the bullet and puchased one of these. It says its for the SK, but I’ll post what it looks like on the MK. Notice the camera cutout.

View attachment 911467
I wonder if the actual iPad Pro 2020 skins would work better?

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005

View attachment 911467

Thanks for the link, have just ordered a plain red one to match my skin on the iPad itself. Will probably add stickers to it though!

DisraeliGears

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
Just got and applied a dbrand purple carbon fiber pattern skin on my 11”. I like the look and it adds just a bit of grip that the naked iPad was lacking.
1CA2E5BC-6C2D-46CC-BB74-CEC3219BCA8F.jpeg

Reactions: PrettyWings

Deep.sky

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2020
Here is my new skin for my 11", quite nice. Like the poster above, I feel that it gives just a little more grip when using the iPad naked.
IMG_0158.jpeg

Reactions: limesmoothie

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
This is the response I got From DecalGirl.com on Friday when I made the inquiry about the Magic KeyBoard:

Hi David,

I am so sorry we do not have them up yet! We are working on these now and should have skins up within the next few weeks. Please check back!

Thank you so much!

Have a great day!

Amie
Customer Support
DecalGirl.com
302-212-5689
Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:00pm EST

Reactions: 911jason

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
Does anyone know if Decalgirl has a skin that resembles the Dragon Skin from DBrand?
Slickwraps has one called charcoal, but looks like Decalgirl will be the first out of the gate with skins for the iPad magic keyboard.

kyubeta

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2020
SF Bay Area
In regards to skins for the Magic Keyboard, I found that a company called "Sopiguard" seems to have some out. Unsure how legit they are as of yet, but looking at some youtube videos on them it seems that they might be. Might bite the bullet on them just to see how it goes.

911jason

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2020
Simi Valley, California
In regards to skins for the Magic Keyboard, I found that a company called "Sopiguard" seems to have some out. Unsure how legit they are as of yet, but looking at some youtube videos on them it seems that they might be. Might bite the bullet on them just to see how it goes.
I’d really like to find some reviews on them. They appear to have exactly the same skins that Dbrand offers, which makes me wonder if they’re knock offs or if Dbrand doesn’t have an exclusive with 3M on those patterns.

Edit: Watched a few reviews on YouTube, all from the same channel, who doesn’t do the best job installing them. But they do appear to be the exact same 3M skins that Dbrand uses. Might pull the trigger on one. Not sure if I should go with the Black Honeycomb (aka Dbrand Swarm) to match my iPad, or their Forged Carbon. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: kyubeta

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Since I will be using my iPad naked, when removing it from the AMK, I went and took the plunge on my first Dbrand. I ended up picking the Matrix skin, after thinking long and hard about the Black Camo....

omelet1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012

I looked through them and I guess this is personal taste, but didn’t see any that I really liked. One thing about Decal Girl is they have some nice designs. I ordered the blue marble for my MacBook Air for example. Good find though.

batristain

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Richmond,VA
here is my skin from Decal Girl for my 11 magic keyboard. These stick but they don't have glue so it's easy to remove them without any residue. They also hold up well. It looks nice. I also got the same skin for my actual iPad so when I remove it to read it is still protected. This (along with the pencil skin) are from decal girl.

Attachments

• IMG_4295.jpg
    IMG_4295.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_4296.jpg
    IMG_4296.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_4294.jpg
    IMG_4294.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_4297.jpg
    IMG_4297.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:

WhoDatWayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
Michigan
here is my skin from Decal Girl for my 11 magic keyboard. These stick but they don't have glue so it's easy to remove them without any residue. They also hold up well. It looks nice. I also got the same skin for my actual iPad so when I remove it to read it is still protected. This (along with the pencil skin) are from decal girl.

This is pretty cool looking! Thanks for sharing!
[automerge]1588616790[/automerge]
Since I will be using my iPad naked, when removing it from the AMK, I went and took the plunge on my first Dbrand. I ended up picking the Matrix skin, after thinking long and hard about the Black Camo....
Same here! I just received my first Dbrand and it works perfectly with the AMK.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
That’s an awesome look—I’m now officially jealous.

Mr Retina

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2013
Can confirm now Decal Girl Skins gonna do the trick for awhile. It’s not a perfect Fit, but it covers 97% of the case. Ill probably invest In their official skin down the line, but the ASK skin is a solid sub For now.

911jason

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2020
Simi Valley, California
My Forged Carbon SopiGuard skin shipped today. It’s shipping through the USPS so it won’t be the fastest, but I’m in southern California and so are they, so I should have pics soon. The website doesn’t do this particular skin much justice compared to the Youtube videos I’ve seen.

DF057623-3B74-4503-9A4D-0C2B2E7DF2A1.jpeg

iAdamator

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2013
South San Francisco, CA
Im looking to try a skin too for the first time which seems to be a popular thing with the MK. :) I've never had the need for one but with the ease at which the iPad can come off the MK for "Tablet mode" I think I'd like some kind of minimalist back protection.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it doesn't look like dbrand has any "Clear" skin do they? If not, what's a good brand that has a good clear back skin?

omelet1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
Im looking to try a skin too for the first time which seems to be a popular thing with the MK. :)

I think skins are becoming more popular with the magic keyboard because it's such a premium product with such a dull and dreary cover on the top and the bottom. The material doesn't really age well and shows grease and such very easily. I'm not really used to that with Apple products, so that's why I'm personally getting a skin to cover mine. I did that with the Smart Keyboard folio and it looked way better.

batristain

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Richmond,VA
Can confirm now Decal Girl Skins gonna do the trick for awhile. It’s not a perfect Fit, but it covers 97% of the case. Ill probably invest In their official skin down the line, but the ASK skin is a solid sub For now.
Agreed! I keep checking for the Magic Keyboard case skin but the keyboard skin covers enough for me too!

drkknte

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2017

Great! I should have my order by Friday.

omelet1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
After not liking the SopiGuard skins at first I found one I like, so decided to give it a try since it's actually designed for the iPad Magic Keyboard. Was $23 total after shipping, so not the end of the world if it does not work out.

Ordered the Special Textured Dark Wood Skin.

1588721184080.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.