Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I get a feeling that the main problem here is Apple don't see any value in the type of customers who aren't inclined towards brainlessly consuming all the garbage while on the move which they consider to be the future- ie. Social / Video / Media / Insta / whatever.

It's long since Apple had a more thoughtful approach towards the future, now it's about cash - and they're correctly identified where they can make the most of it, year after year.

As mental health issues related to all this crap reaches epidemic levels (we're getting there), Apple will be forced to change direction. But for now I'm inclined to use my SE1 less and less as it slides into obsolescence, and stick to services which can be done at home via laptop or tablet.
Ultimately, Apple goes where the customers are headed, and the reality is that majority of users to prefer phones with bigger screens because phones are increasingly being used for anything and everything. When you are booking a ride or ordering food via an app, or updating your students' attendance through an online portal, or reading emails or viewing relief lesson plans via google drive, more screen space is always welcome.

This is the reality of work today. More things are being done on the go, people view their phones as an extension of their laptops, and a bigger screen is often deemed preferable to switching on your laptop just to reply to an email or updating a google spreadsheet.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Ultimately, Apple goes where the customers are headed, and the reality is that majority of users to prefer phones with bigger screens because phones are increasingly being used for anything and everything. When you are booking a ride or ordering food via an app, or updating your students' attendance through an online portal, or reading emails or viewing relief lesson plans via google drive, more screen space is always welcome.

This is the reality of work today. More things are being done on the go, people view their phones as an extension of their laptops, and a bigger screen is often deemed preferable to switching on your laptop just to reply to an email or updating a google spreadsheet.
I agree with what you're saying, but... I personally am not "most people".
No need to book a ride, I certainly do not order food via an app, I'm not a student, emails is for when I'm home on my MBA, etc. All I need on the go is a telephone so people can reach me if needed - and I can call someone in case of an emergency. Don't even need access to the internet or iCloud.
And for my use case, my slender 100gr SE1 surely beats my bulky 220gr iPhone11 :cool:
Of course and with all due respect, YMMV

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
I agree with what you're saying, but... I personally am not "most people".
No need to book a ride, I certainly do not order food via an app, I'm not a student, emails is for when I'm home on my MBA, etc. All I need on the go is a telephone so people can reach me if needed - and I can call someone in case of an emergency. Don't even need access to the internet or iCloud.
And for my use case, my slender 100gr SE1 surely beats my bulky 220gr iPhone11 :cool:
Of course and with all due respect, YMMV
Sounds like my brother's "senior" phone. Only the basics in small form.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
my slender 100gr SE1

Last edited:
Reactions: lpc2 and GerritV

dan98

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013

The key word here is 'majority'. Whenever there is a majority, there is also a minority.
Remember 'Think Different'? This is gone for good - Apple is simply a cash cow machine now.

This 'reality' you mention, where people want to edit spreadsheets and use online portals on their phones, is really only a particular version of reality that you chose to focus on. I run my own business and have never needed constant mobile access to things like this, nor been demanded it by any of my clients. It can wait until I'm sitting infront of a laptop to do things properly.
For the rest of us, we're about to be forced into carrying tablets around to do the same job that we've been doing perfectly well already.

It's entirely predictable that most consumers think Bigger = Better. For example just look at the way cars (and people) have grown into grotesque monsters of their former selves in the last few years.

But what is actually *weird* is the way the majority (some on this forum for example) like to crush the minority and tell them what's good for them, or that they are actually wrong in preferring what they do.
After all, it's not as if I'm trying to stop anyone from wanting to carry around a tablet in their pocket, or that Apple should stop making big phones for those that want them.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The key word here is 'majority'. Whenever there is a majority, there is also a minority.

Remember 'Think Different'? This is gone for good - Apple is simply a cash cow machine now.

It's entirely predictable that most consumers think Bigger = Better. For example just look at the way cars (and people) have grown into grotesque monsters of their former selves in the last few years.

But what is actually *weird* is the way the majority (on this forum for example) like to crush the minority and tell them what's good for them, or that they are actually wrong in preferring what they do.
After all, it's not as if I'm trying to stop anyone from wanting to carry around a tablet in their pocket, or that Apple should stop making big phones for those that want them.
You know what's funny?

In threads like this, people think that Apple should bend over backwards to maintain a specific product category just for them, however unprofitable it may be. Meanwhile in other threads, people have no qualms complaining that particular product lineups are too bloated and that Apple should streamline their offerings, not considering that just because they have no need of a particular product like the iPad 10 doesn't necessarily mean that nobody else does, and having one more iPad offering is an affront to their sensibilities.

I am not here to tell you that your needs don't matter. I am simply rationalising why Apple has chosen not to continue with the iPhone mini. The demand for it wasn't that high in the first place (you gave up screen space, battery life and specs like a better camera), they have a hard time charging more for it (because users are conditioned to equate paying more with getting more of something), and that explains why Apple pivoted to the iPhone plus (which allows Apple to charge more by virtue of it having a larger display).

All I can say is that the world does not revolve around me, I find it regrettable at times, and that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Whoops2474

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2023
Put same hardware into significantly smaller device is quite a engineering challenge and considering that majority of people don’t need such small devices it is not profitable for Apple to do so.

Our hands not getting bigger with each generation, at some point phone sizes will stop to grow. If someone need for even bigger device it is already territory of tablets and laptops so nothing new here.

There’s also relatively new form factor of foldable phones that can be both small and bigger when needed.

Maybe people who need small device only for basic use (not any kind of media consumption) going to switch using watches without carrying mobile phone with them at all (more advanced version of Apple Watch Ultra or something) and laptop/tablet/TV for everything else.

dan98

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013
Believe me, there's no need for Apple to bend over backwards, or do anything that doesn't satisfy their bottom dollar for me.
The World does not revolve around me, any more than it does around you - I'm sure it'd make things nicer for certain people if nobody ever complained about anything Apple churns out but in reality we're all free to express our opinions here.

The mini was way too expensive for those who want a simple phone to run a few key apps, a usable camera and the latest iOS.
But in any case, it's just a sad cop-out to envisage the only future is bigger and bigger screens to gawp at wherever we go, instead of investing in neater, more efficient and less intrusive technology.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions.
1. Nokia: approximately the same footprint as my SE, but twice as thick.
2 & 3. Look more like Chinese / Japanese gadgets than phones (at first sight at least). And what about support?
Sorry, no deal ;)

Reactions: canuckRus

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012

This 'reality' you mention, where people want to edit spreadsheets and use online portals on their phones, is really only a particular version of reality that you chose to focus on. I run my own business and have never needed constant mobile access to things like this, nor been demanded it by any of my clients. It can wait until I'm sitting infront of a laptop to do things properly.
For the rest of us, we're about to be forced into carrying tablets around to do the same job that we've been doing perfectly well already.

But what is actually *weird* is the way the majority (some on this forum for example) like to crush the minority and tell them what's good for them, or that they are actually wrong in preferring what they do.
You've taken the words out of my mouth @dan98 - great post.

Reactions: lpc2 and dan98

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Even if I am using phone as basic, I will refuse use any phone that is smaller than regular iPhone. I hate iPhone SE 1, everything is too small even for basic texting, let alone navigation on the road or any purpose.
The majority of posters in this thread would disagree with you.
iPhones havn't always been 'large' so people have managed for a long time, and decades before that pre-iPhones got smaller and smaller, and where useable for their designed function.

Reactions: lpc2

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Finally got around to have my battery replaced this afternoon.
Thanks to all of you for the great conversations in this thread, that have helped me with the transfer.
I think I dumbed down everything I could to remain with just a phone/text communication device.
This sure feels good !

SE1.jpeg

darkus

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
If Apple just turned the iPhone 12/13 mini production line, and just replaced lightning port with USB-C and possibly upgraded the chipset, I would guess that nearly every current mini owner would immediatly upgrade.

Not only would they upgrade, I'd venture a guess that they would buy two of them anticipating there wouldnt be another mini for years if ever, so they would buy a backup phone :)

Easy money for Apple :)

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I would, I actually upgraded to a 13 mini recently from my 12 mini because it was end of the line for this size of device.

I keep my phones for 4-5 years (I replace the battery along the way).

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Finally got around to have my battery replaced this afternoon.
Thanks to all of you for the great conversations in this thread, that have helped me with the transfer.
I think I dumbed down everything I could to remain with just a phone/text communication device.
This sure feels good !

View attachment 2368088
A rare rational free thinker. More and more crap required to be turned off by the day. iPad mini and MB Air to handle the rest.

Last edited:

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
If Apple just turned the iPhone 12/13 mini production line, and just replaced lightning port with USB-C and possibly upgraded the chipset, I would guess that nearly every current mini owner would immediatly upgrade.

Not only would they upgrade, I'd venture a guess that they would buy two of them anticipating there wouldnt be another mini for years if ever, so they would buy a backup phone :)

Easy money for Apple :)
And with an improved battery wouldn't mind paying extra either. Less than current 15 series for sure.

Last edited:

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
A rare rational free thinker. More and more crap required to be turned off by the day. iPas mini and MB Air to handle the rest.
Thanks for you nice comment, my setup will indeed be this SE for mobile and my MBA for home.
(my iPad was already replaced by a paper notebook + fountain pen long time ago)
Basically, I want to distance myself from digital devices as much as possible before AI will be dumped all over the place.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon

Why stop here, instead people should carry iPads in their pockets and chip in their neck.

a_drive

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2024
Have you plugged that into CoconutBattery to double check?

I have a variety of SE1's with new batteries on latest iOS 15 and they do really well on battery life (I use them for walks, runs and going to the gym)
I will need to verify on CB and get back. What apps are you using?

profH

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2017
Pasadena, CA
I loved the mini form factor and held on as long as I could. but The battery life is just atrocious. On to a 15 plus now and no regrets; needing to charge every two or three days works very well with my forgetfulness. If they could ever build a small phone with comparable battery life I’d buy it.

Reactions: canuckRus

Lynxpoint

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
I absolutely love this phrase....😍....thankyou.
I am going to adopt this phrase myself.....😃
I to am an essentialist/minimalist.

What I loved about the iPhone 3/4 was the size. It gave a phone that fit in the pocket, even though still large compared to my favorite phone of all - the SE t68i.

But times change, and there is a benefit to being able to do more 'essential' (defined by the user) things in the palm of the hand.

So I was willing to upgrade as far as the 12 mini... maybe should have got a 13 mini once the mini form factor's end was near, but I hold to devices lasting as long as possible, and was also already on a path to no phone at all....

Because while Apple and others promoted large phones and in my view screen addition, I have been working to get rid of screen time where possible. Here is where I am so far, with many trials and errors along the way:

Texting - my primary method has just become Garmin - for my needs, I can send and receive what I need and can do it as fast as via a phone, for what I woud do on a phone, and I do it from my wrist. This is important, because I don't want the invasiveness of pulling out a phone when on the go. Truthfully, I rarely if ever got messages on phone while carrying it anyway because I keep all notifications and alerts turned off - I am busy, I don't need distractions.

Email - sometimes check on phone, but do mostly on mac, sometimes on iPad.

All training and tracking apps - primary info on watch, supplemental via trainingpeaks, garmin connect, stryd, strava, etc on either phone but everything is set up identically on mac and ipad, and data analysis is better on big screen. I use minimal maps, so the ones on the EPIX work for me, but I do like Fatmap - but I also prefer big screens and to study what I am doing before I go, so don't ever use a screen other than watch in the backcountry.

And that is about it. I have other apps on phone, but they are more playthings than anything else. In other words, I can go long periods without using them, often forgetting they are there.

I value portability and real connectivity, real as in if I have to call for help or check in, I am able to vs socializing.

And to that end, the phone may evenually reach its demise completely as the watches get better, and satellite connections get cheaper... I am on the fence on replacing the iphone with an inreach mini, and imagine this will be my path forward when the time comes.

Love the iPad for the screen. Love the mac for many reasons. Hate doing anything non essential on a phone... and for me the difference between the mini and pro max is more weight and bulk, but the form factor leaves its functionality equal - and with a desire to carry as little and travel as light as possible, I won't carry a heavier brick when a lighter one does the same job.

I know I am in the minority in this use case, but I am sharing it just to say it is possible to make tech work how you need it to, and not be swept away in the wave iPad mini minis taking centre stage these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.