Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
FWIW - what I said is that a big smartphone with all of its amazing functionalities on board is addictive. I believe that to be a known and proven fact.

It is a proven fact that a larger phone is more addictive than a smaller one, all else being equal?

Could you provide a link to the study, please?

Reactions: kitKAC

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
Thank you for your valuable responses about my SE1. Will keep iOS 12.4 for now and see how things evolve.
It seems that I converted my 8 year old son into an SE lover from day 1. He tells everyone ”can you imagine imagine, we bought an old SE!?!?!”. It’s really quite funny!

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
What are people doing on their phones that causes the battery not to last even a full day? Genuine question. (I probably charge mine once or twice a week, and I make next to no calls and send very few texts.)
The better question would be: What is preventing people from finding 10-15 mins to charge a phone throughout the day, if battery life is that big of a priority?

• Haha
Reactions: Chidoro and kitKAC

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
It is a proven fact that a larger phone is more addictive than a smaller one, all else being equal?
Could you provide a link to the study, please?
If it weren't so, Apple and other manufacturers would still be happily making small phones, right ?
Instead, many if not most people are so greatly depending on / addicted to their smartphone screens that they continue to want them bigger and faster and what not.
This development says more to me than the articles / statistics I have read on this topic (in Dutch).

Reactions: turbineseaplane

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I saw some sort of super-small Razr phone at BB yesterday. Apparently Motorola thinks "small" might still be "in".
Great suggestion, I do like the looks of the Razr.
I once had this Motorola that, at the time, was one of the smallest mobiles one could buy.
Admitted, its antenna was a bit awkward - even back then. But I loved the device nonetheless.

motorola.jpg

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
If it weren't so, Apple and other manufacturers would still be happily making small phones, right ?

This has nothing to do with addiction, and is certainly not a proven fact, at least not according to any of the evidence you have presented.

If Apple wanted to fuel addictive behavior, Screen Time would certainly never have been made it into production:

More people find larger screens more compelling for the things they do on their phones regardless of screen size, and a larger screen allows some people to do things on their phone that they would otherwise use some other device for.

Instead, many if not most people are so greatly depending on / addicted to their smartphone screens that they continue to want them bigger and faster and what not.

I eat food. Relatively often, actually. When I do, I prefer food prepared by trained and experienced chefs from high-quality ingredients, that provides the most enjoyable experience possible according to my taste. This does not make me a compulsive eater.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
More people find larger screens more compelling for the things they do on their phones regardless of screen size, and a larger screen allows some people to do things on their phone that they would otherwise use some other device for.
Other people, perhaps, not so much. ;)
I eat food. Relatively often, actually. When I do, I prefer food prepared by trained and experienced chefs from high-quality ingredients, that provides the most enjoyable experience possible according to my taste. This does not make me a compulsive eater.
My taste on food happens to be on the opposite side of the horizon. ;)

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
Great suggestion, I do like the looks of the Razr.
I once had this Motorola that, at the time, was one of the smallest mobiles one could buy.
Admitted, its antenna was a bit awkward - even back then. But I loved the device nonetheless.

View attachment 2368778
I also had this Motorola. What a great phone that was? Loved the "flip to answer a call"!

• Love
Reactions: GerritV

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
You guys are all tempting to try out the RAZR+

Woot has brand new unlocked ones for $600

256GB, high refresh rate

dan98

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013
You guys are all tempting to try out the RAZR+

Woot has brand new unlocked ones for $600

256GB, high refresh rate
Not really though - it's getting on for double the weight of the SE1 and requires both hands to use it.

Personally I can't say I get with the folding concept for a phone - it's more fiddling around every time you want to use it and feels twice as bulky in the pocket.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Not really though - it's getting on for double the weight of the SE1 and requires both hands to use it.

Personally I can't say I get with the folding concept for a phone - it's more fiddling around every time you want to use it and feels twice as bulky in the pocket.

Once I saw the weight I was out, you’re right

alongdingdong

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2014
i bought the Iphone 13 mini because i like small phones.
I use my bank apps, investment app, google maps and Spotify.

Battery last me the whole day.

I want to tone down to a dumbphone, but i have no alternative for google maps on my moped/ in the car that works as well and is up to date.

I try to be a minimalist so having seperate devices for navigation etc are not something i want to do.

The iphone 13 mini is still not that mini btw, the name is a bit deceptive if you compare it to previous iphones.

a_drive

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2024
The iphone 13 mini is still not that mini btw, the name is a bit deceptive if you compare it to previous iphones.

^^
This

The naming is extremely deceptive

Relative to the overall history of the iPhone lineup, the iPhone "mini" is huge and heavy
I totally agree with you guys on this. The 13 mini is “mini” by today’s standards. If you look back at the earlier 3.5”-4” model screen sizes Apple should have considered them nano. If people want larger screens just get a tablet - not a phablet! This phenomenon that’s been going on the last decade or so still drives me crazy today.

Tru3B1u3

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2023
Apple: Lets make a mini phone but put in the worse specs possible

Also Apple: why do mini sales suck?
I honestly don’t believe Apple wanted the Mini series to succeed.

Apple’s current model is to use multiple marketing tactics to make upgrading to the most profitable model the ideal path.

The 12 Mini / 13 Mini go against this by being inherently less profitable.

The more of the standard model / mini models that sell mean less Pro models selling.

Furthermore, streaming is ever growing and larger phones increase content consumption (most likely). The Pro’s are heavily marketed with streaming by cellular providers… yet the 13 Mini didn’t appear to get as much marketing.

Altogether, the Mini series is definitely not a model that will increase profitability, especially as a yearly refresh.

Lynxpoint

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
i bought the Iphone 13 mini because i like small phones.
I use my bank apps, investment app, google maps and Spotify.

Battery last me the whole day.

I want to tone down to a dumbphone, but i have no alternative for google maps on my moped/ in the car that works as well and is up to date.

I try to be a minimalist so having seperate devices for navigation etc are not something i want to do.

Size is relative. I agree the mini is not mini by historic standards. In the same way a Mini Clubman car is by no means mini, especially compared to the original Mini.

Somehow, with the only exception I can think of being the car minification brought on by the oil crisis, there is a gluttony for larger and larger. I recall old car ads stating how the new model was x inches wider, y inches longer. It seems like phones are in that phase right now. When they are out of ideas, just make it bigger, and 'bigger is better' right? Not that I think so, but it does seem to appeal to a large enough audience that they keep doing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.