Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a_drive

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2024
I to am an essentialist/minimalist.

What I loved about the iPhone 3/4 was the size. It gave a phone that fit in the pocket, even though still large compared to my favorite phone of all - the SE t68i.

But times change, and there is a benefit to being able to do more 'essential' (defined by the user) things in the palm of the hand.

So I was willing to upgrade as far as the 12 mini... maybe should have got a 13 mini once the mini form factor's end was near, but I hold to devices lasting as long as possible, and was also already on a path to no phone at all....

Because while Apple and others promoted large phones and in my view screen addition, I have been working to get rid of screen time where possible. Here is where I am so far, with many trials and errors along the way:

Texting - my primary method has just become Garmin - for my needs, I can send and receive what I need and can do it as fast as via a phone, for what I woud do on a phone, and I do it from my wrist. This is important, because I don't want the invasiveness of pulling out a phone when on the go. Truthfully, I rarely if ever got messages on phone while carrying it anyway because I keep all notifications and alerts turned off - I am busy, I don't need distractions.

Email - sometimes check on phone, but do mostly on mac, sometimes on iPad.

All training and tracking apps - primary info on watch, supplemental via trainingpeaks, garmin connect, stryd, strava, etc on either phone but everything is set up identically on mac and ipad, and data analysis is better on big screen. I use minimal maps, so the ones on the EPIX work for me, but I do like Fatmap - but I also prefer big screens and to study what I am doing before I go, so don't ever use a screen other than watch in the backcountry.

And that is about it. I have other apps on phone, but they are more playthings than anything else. In other words, I can go long periods without using them, often forgetting they are there.

I value portability and real connectivity, real as in if I have to call for help or check in, I am able to vs socializing.

And to that end, the phone may evenually reach its demise completely as the watches get better, and satellite connections get cheaper... I am on the fence on replacing the iphone with an inreach mini, and imagine this will be my path forward when the time comes.

Love the iPad for the screen. Love the mac for many reasons. Hate doing anything non essential on a phone... and for me the difference between the mini and pro max is more weight and bulk, but the form factor leaves its functionality equal - and with a desire to carry as little and travel as light as possible, I won't carry a heavier brick when a lighter one does the same job.

I know I am in the minority in this use case, but I am sharing it just to say it is possible to make tech work how you need it to, and not be swept away in the wave iPad mini minis taking centre stage these days.
Thanks for sharing your use case. I, too, strongly believe less is more. I love the original SE and mini is good too but you just can’t beat that 4” form factor for so many reasons. I recently purchased an Apple Watch Series 9 with cellular at a pretty decent price and lately been rocking just the watch for the essential daily calls/texts. So far it’s been working out great. I’ve found the watch is so fast and fluid and one that carries all the tools you need without any distractions. So now, I’m starting to wonder if the smartwatch is starting to replace the smartphone from the communications/internet connectivity perspective. Aside from a camera and video playback I think watch can do everything the SE can in an even smaller form factor - the wrist! I’ve been loving this past week knowing I am connected without having anything in my pockets. The only exception is my 7th gen iPod touch I’m still rocking for Bluetooth audio playback in my car. I think the iPod touch was one of Apple’s most under appreciated products especially once the iPhone became mainstream. That thing is amazingly thin and light I barely know it’s there. I love the SE but only time will tell if it’s I really need to use it or if the watch will take its place for good. You can’t beat its aesthetics and ergonomics though. No other iPhone comes close. Maybe, the iPhone 4…! the 4 and 5 were the GOAT phones in my opinion.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Thanks for sharing your use case. I, too, strongly believe less is more. I love the original SE and mini is good too but you just can’t beat that 4” form factor for so many reasons. I recently purchased an Apple Watch Series 9 with cellular at a pretty decent price and lately been rocking just the watch for the essential daily calls/texts. So far it’s been working out great. I’ve found the watch is so fast and fluid and one that carries all the tools you need without any distractions. So now, I’m starting to wonder if the smartwatch is starting to replace the smartphone from the communications/internet connectivity perspective. Aside from a camera and video playback I think watch can do everything the SE can in an even smaller form factor - the wrist! I’ve been loving this past week knowing I am connected without having anything in my pockets. The only exception is my 7th gen iPod touch I’m still rocking for Bluetooth audio playback in my car. I think the iPod touch was one of Apple’s most under appreciated products especially once the iPhone became mainstream. That thing is amazingly thin and light I barely know it’s there. I love the SE but only time will tell if it’s I really need to use it or if the watch will take its place for good. You can’t beat its aesthetics and ergonomics though. No other iPhone comes close. Maybe, the iPhone 4…! the 4 and 5 were the GOAT phones in my opinion.
How is battery life on your AWs9 when using it as described? Do you make it through a typical day?

a_drive

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2024
How is battery life on your AWs9 when using it as described? Do you make it through a typical day?
I usually end my work day at around 20-30% left. I also try to top off at work in the afternoon if possible which helps prevent any battery anxiety

Reactions: GerritV

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Traveler's C° Passport size leather cover with a notebook + a zip folder as my wallet + my iPhone SE.
Loving my EDC :cool:

EDC.jpeg

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
Just received the 2nd iPhone SE 1 that I ordered. 16GB of internal storage and the iOS is still on 12.4
Would you recommend that I update to the latest version or rather keep it on iOS 12? My son will use this as his emergency phone and iMessage, FaceTime, music, etc. Not too many 3rd-party apps. What do you think?

Reactions: a_drive and GerritV

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Just received the 2nd iPhone SE 1 that I ordered. 16GB of internal storage and the iOS is still on 12.4
Would you recommend that I update to the latest version or rather keep it on iOS 12? My son will use this as his emergency phone and iMessage, FaceTime, music, etc. Not too many 3rd-party apps. What do you think?

Keep it on iOS 12.4 as long as all the apps you need supporting it.

Last edited:

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Apple would make a fortune if they rejigged the iPhone 13 Mini chassis and sold it directly to parents as a child-safe phone. Yes, all iPhones can be made this way in a few clicks but it would act as a satellite device sharing your plan like the Apple Watch does.

Reactions: lpc2 and GerritV

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008

Don't update any older iPhone / iOS unless you absolutely need to

If I could put all my iPhone SE1s back on iOS 10 and still use them, I would in a heartbeat
I have one on iOS10 and it's so much faster and responsive, it's crazy

Reactions: a_drive and GerritV

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020

If I could put all my iPhone SE1s back on iOS 10 and still use them, I would in a heartbeat

That is not a long term solution. The long term solution is accept the fact small phone is died and get use to it.

Eventually iPhone SE1 will die and replacement parts will no longer be available. Even iPhone 13 min's day is numbered at this point.

• Haha
Reactions: haydesigner

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
That is not a long term solution. The long term solution is accept the fact small phone is died and get use to it.

Eventually iPhone SE1 will die and replacement parts will no longer be available. Even iPhone 13 min's day is numbered at this point.
Sadly so true.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008

You do whatever you feel like ;)

I will use my SE1s and 13 Mini until I literally can't
And then I don't yet know what I'll do next - I'll worry about that "then"

I'm not personally planning to ever "get used to huge phones"

A product that is too large -- is always too large
My hands haven't changed

dan98

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013

There is no one 'long term solution' - ALL Apple phones will be junk within X years.

The 13 mini has quite a bit of useable life left, and well worth investing in for the time being as a main phone.

Even the SE1 still works perfectly well, but I imagine certain apps will slowly start to become unobtainable over the next 1-2 years. By which time the 13 mini will be cheap to pickup and give 2-3 years more use I imagine.

But even then, core apps will function for many years more (just as they still do on iPhone 3GS and earlier) so it'll remain good as a basic phone. (...and carry the tablet in your bag for when required)

At that point I'd be amazed if someone hasn't brought a phone to the market which blows everyone away by being fully featured yet with merely a 4" screen and capable of being used with only one hand....

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
There is no one 'long term solution' - ALL Apple phones will be junk within X years.

The 13 mini has quite a bit of useable life left, and well worth investing in for the time being as a main phone.

Even the SE1 still works perfectly well, but I imagine certain apps will slowly start to become unobtainable over the next 1-2 years. By which time the 13 mini will be cheap to pickup and give 2-3 years more use I imagine.

But even then, core apps will function for many years more (just as they still do on iPhone 3GS and earlier) so it'll remain good as a basic phone. (...and carry the tablet in your bag for when required)

At that point I'd be amazed if someone hasn't brought a phone to the market which blows everyone away by being fully featured yet with merely a 4" screen and capable of being used with only one hand....

I don’t think that going to happen. 4 inch phone is dead, no one is going to make 4 inch phone anymore. It will be 6 inch as bare minimum.

If you want these type of phone , then you will have to go search hard on AliExpress, maybe you will find some phone with 4 inch screen with bare minim spec and outdate android version that runs some core apps.

You are not going to see major phone makers making small phone. There is just no market and no point of making small phone anymore.

dan98

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013
I don’t think that going to happen. 4 inch phone is dead, no one is going to make 4 inch phone anymore. It will be 6 inch as bare minimum.

If you want these type of phone , then you will have to go search hard on AliExpress, maybe you will find some phone with 4 inch screen with bare minim spec and outdate android version that runs some core apps.

You are not going to see major phone makers making small phone. There is just no market and no point of making small phone anymore.
I always doubt someone who presents the future as Fact.

In any case, I do wonder about the motives of those heavily-invested Apple fans who seem really keen to kill anyone's desire for a small phone. It's actually quite odd.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I always doubt someone who presents the future as Fact.

In any case, I do wonder about the motives of those heavily-invested Apple fans who seem really keen to kill anyone's desire for a small phone. It's actually quite odd.
I love the SE1’s chassis and would buy an up-to-date one in a nanosecond however he’s not wrong. Even the 12/13 Mini, which were slightly larger phones, were killed off due the public’s desire for larger phones.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
That is not smaller nor lighter than Max version of iPhone.

iPhone Max = 160 x 77 x 8 mm / 221 gr / € 1.229 (but... without notebook and wallet)
my EDC from the image = 135 x 94 x 14 mm / 243 gr / € 540 (including... phone, notebook and wallet)

So in a way we're both right. However, even if this were a point, it isn't the point at all ;)

For me personally, the iPhone Max (or any modern day smart phone) is a big chunk of expensive and addictive technology that I don't need. I'm not doing pictures, movies, music, games, social media etc.
If I wouldn't have had my SE, I would have purchased a dumb flip phone instead.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
iPhone Max = 160 x 77 x 8 mm / 221 gr / € 1.229 (but... without notebook and wallet)
my EDC from the image = 135 x 94 x 14 mm / 243 gr / € 540 (including... phone, notebook and wallet)

So in a way we're both right. However, even if this were a point, it isn't the point at all ;)

For me personally, the iPhone Max (or any modern day smart phone) is a big chunk of expensive and addictive technology that I don't need. I'm not doing pictures, movies, music, games, social media etc.
If I wouldn't have had my SE, I would have purchased a dumb flip phone instead.

To be honest, iPhone SE 1 is not the solution to solve addiction. If one really additive to phones, he/she will also glue on the iPhone SE 1 as well. iPhone SE can run just any social media apps, streaming music/video.

If you are not having technology addiction in first place, then which phone won’t matter. If you have addiction, then any phone can be addictive.

I remember I spend countless hours on old BlackBerry’s build in games or spending countless hours on GBA.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
To be honest, iPhone SE 1 is not the solution to solve addiction. If one really additive to phones, he/she will also glue on the iPhone SE 1 as well. iPhone SE can run just any social media apps, streaming music/video.

If you are not having technology addiction in first place, then which phone won’t matter. If you have addiction, then any phone can be addictive.

I remember I spend countless hours on old BlackBerry’s build in games or spending countless hours on GBA.

My SE has only the apps that can't be removed, all out of sight with the exception of Phone and Messages.
No internet, no wifi, no iCloud, no distractions whatsoever, and set to grayscale interface.
Like I said before, I don't nor ever will do social media, streaming etc. whether or not my phone can do it.

While I do agree one can dumb down any smart phone that way, I myself went with the one I have and love for its size and weight. So "which phone" actually does matter to me, a lot.

Reactions: MarkC426

a_drive

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2024

Does iOS 10 not function properly anymore? I have a version 11.2 and I noticed my iCloud Photo Library does not display thumbnail images well and images in iMessage are distorted in size. Battery life on it seems fantastic though. I don’t have any issues (for now) on iOS 12.3 so that’s my preferred version. Anything after iOS 12 seems to have taken a performance hit

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Does iOS 10 not function properly anymore? I have a version 11.2 and I noticed my iCloud Photo Library does not display thumbnail images well and images in iMessage are distorted in size. Battery life on it seems fantastic though. I don’t have any issues (for now) on iOS 12.3 so that’s my preferred version. Anything after iOS 12 seems to have taken a performance hit

I honestly don't know as I have that one SE just kept on iOS 10 for the 32 bit games

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
I saw some sort of super-small Razr phone at BB yesterday. Apparently Motorola thinks "small" might still be "in".

--------
Back to the home front: My better half is very happy with the 13 Mini we got her about two weeks ago. She misses the button, but is getting used to the non-button interface. Smaller than the outgoing 6s/8/SE platform, but with a slightly bigger screen. She likes it.

Reactions: GerritV

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
You don’t solve your smartphone addiction with smartphone.

It is like someone trying solve drug addition with cannabis.
FWIW - what I said is that a big smartphone with all of its amazing functionalities on board is addictive. I believe that to be a known and proven fact.
I, on the other hand, do not have an addiction - I just want to avoid addictive devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.