Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tru3B1u3

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2023
The problem is not enough people buy small iPhones or small phones a small market no wonder Apple don’t make them anymore ..

Can we talk about how misleading the “small phone” mentioned in the video is….

That “small phone” has the same dimensions as the standard models and pro models.

No one is calling those 6.1+ display phones small.

The 13 Mini was the last true flagship small phone. The iPhone SE is now the smallest but rumors point to it being replaced by a iPhone 14 clone.

Tru3B1u3

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2023
The issue isn’t that people don’t want the option of small phones. It’s that they are gimped in other areas.

For example I was really excited to get a small SE2 before but the battery was SO bad it wasn’t possible to use it daily.

Content Consumption is the primary reason

The battery life even after heavily optimizing settings does not lend well to any who spends 11hrs + on social media or extensively uses other multimedia apps.

The larger display is better for content consumption and for those who can only afford one device to be the end all be all…

Going with a iPhone Standard or iPhone Plus is a fine way to replace your laptop, tablet and video game console.

The 13 Mini can only do so much, but if you appreciate it for what it does, it does them well…

Reactions: D_J

Tru3B1u3

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2023
As someone mentioned, a lot of it also has to do with carriers and retailers pushing/discounting the more expensive options towards consumers

Which then means only a select minority of customers who insist on smaller models end up buying them. Hence poorer sales.

Content consumption plays a large role in driving purchases of the larger models.

The Pro’s and Pro Max’s are Apple’s most profitable models and now that they’ve created created their own streaming services, these models are likely to make this more profitable.

Cellular Providers incentivize customers buy these more profitable models because it’s more profitable for them as well.

They bundle streaming sites with cellular plans far more than with internet plans.

Everyone wins except the less profitable models that don’t contribute to this positive feedback loop.

13 Mini was never going to be an annual phone, so hopefully Apple is willing to keep it around on a 4 year or 5 year refresh for the niche small phone lovers.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I'm probably very alone on this, but I just want a Mini size "something"

I don't care about OLED, nor the latest processor -- don't even need more camera Q than is already on 13 Mini, and would even be fine with just the normal lens (don't use wide angle really at all)

Don't need an "action button"

Can I just have something small please Apple?

The physical size of the device is absolutely paramount for me

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021

I don't care about OLED, nor the latest processor -- don't even need more camera Q than is already on 13 Mini, and would even be fine with just the normal lens (don't use wide angle really at all)

An SE is too big?

Reactions: MarkX

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Wish Apple would just do a mini every 3 or so years. I love my 13 Mini. The 6.1 inch iPhones are too big.

So many times people have expressed surprise in my Mini and said they would have purchased one if they knew about it.

To me it's about greed. Apple sold millions of them, but I guess the profit margins weren't quite high enough.

Sad really.

Don't know what I'll do when my 13 Mini gets to the end of the line.

Reactions: lpc2

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
You might not be buying laptops, but rest assured many of us are.

View attachment 2360709

If you lived in the era 2005-2011 you will know that everyone used to own a laptop like they own a smartphone today. This has changed as many average john doe's no longer see a reason for a laptop and they use their smartphone to access the digital world.

I am not saying no one buys laptops any more, but sales surely have plummeted.

Reactions: TPadden

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
The issue isn’t that people don’t want the option of small phones. It’s that they are gimped in other areas.

For example I was really excited to get a small SE2 before but the battery was SO bad it wasn’t possible to use it daily.

I think people demands have been growing. I am an old guy and I remember devices used to last like 6 hours on battery. Nokia phones which lasted like a day basically had a green+black minute screen and did nothing most of the time.

Personally I think a 6 inch HD full colour screen that plays videos, audio, run multiple apps all the while access 4g/5g, wifi, and manages 4gb ram and 128GB storage space that lasts 7 hours in continuous use is pretty amazing.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020

I don’t think it all about greed.

The usage case has changed. When first iPhone games out, you really can’t do anything than texting or phone call. Video streaming isn’t really a thing back then.

Then we had 4G and 5G. People start using social media more, streaming videos more, playing games more etc. these all requires bigger screen for better experiences.

Seriously, the day of 4 inch phone is dead. Last time I brought out iPhone 12 mini from my drawer, I was reminded how small these thing is. I found myself constantly looking for charger, making more typos and generally not great experience.

I got some of folk’s don’t really do much on smart phones, rather than simple phone calls plus text with occasional use of apps. I think iPhone 13 mini will serve all your needs for next couple years. Heck, I can still rocking my old Pixel 2 XL for most of my daily usages.

I think when the day smartphone being replaced by something new, we might see smaller devices come back.

Reactions: decafjava

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
Can we talk about how misleading the “small phone” mentioned in the video is….

That “small phone” has the same dimensions as the standard models and pro models.

No one is calling those 6.1+ display phones small.

The 13 Mini was the last true flagship small phone. The iPhone SE is now the smallest but rumors point to it being replaced by a iPhone 14 clone.

I think the definition of small phone has changed few times in past decade.

First, it was the 3.5 inch, then we went to 4 inch with iPhone 5. I still remember people were talking about how big 4 inch phone was and wants small 3.5 inch phone. People were calling 3.5 inch was the perfect size.

Then we went to 4.7inch with iPhone 6 and 5.5 inch with 6 Plus. Samsung went to even bigger with their Galaxy S Note series. It was then people calling 4 inch phone “the small phone”. I still remembered people refuse to buy anything over 4 inch.

Then we went to 5.8 inch iPhone X. By then, 5.5 inch to 6 inch phone are very common. You now could call 4.7 inch iPhone SE small phone.

Then iPhone 12 grew to 6.2 inch where as iPhone 12 Pro max went to 6.7 inch. I think most smartphones now days are closing to 7 inch. Now, people are calling iPhone X with 5.8 inch “small phone”

I don’t think calling 6.0 inch smartphone small phone is inappropriate, since it is on small size. Maybe it is not small for you, but it is definitely small.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Why does everyone sound like they are eulogising over the death of small (not flagship) phones? If you want something small from Apple, there is the iPhone SE.

• Angry
Reactions: jhfenton

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017

How about the iPhone SE? It fits your criteria perfectly.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
How about the iPhone SE? It fits your criteria perfectly.

Bigger than the 13 Mini
I won't do anything larger than the 13 Mini in any way - 13 mini is honestly already larger than I like

Screen Shot 2024-03-19 at 9.44.20 PM.png

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Seriously, the day of 4 inch phone is dead. Last time I brought out iPhone 12 mini from my drawer, I was reminded how small these thing is. I found myself constantly looking for charger, making more typos and generally not great experience.

And plenty of us find 6.1 and 6.7 inch phones are also not a great experience.

Any phone which is too big to use one handed to me is not worth a dime.

My 13 Mini is plenty big enough.

jazzzyJeff

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2024
If Apple made a mini version of their Pro with 120Hz screen and decent cameras and battery I’d buy that. If not for those I’d never have gone with the Pro.

One-handed use is something I miss since the I upgraded my 5. They’d gotten so heavier and uncomfortable that you can’t even reach across the screen without using the other hand.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
I like the idea of smaller phones too. My perfect small phone would have the body of a 13 mini, one wide angle 48MP lens, frosted glass back and Dynamic Island. Bump the price a little and I don’t care.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Wow, look at that beautiful skeuomorphic design! Seeing it compared side-by-side with that hideous flat design really reveals how such an immense attention to detail and creativity went into Apple's skeuomorphic design during the days of Scott Forstall. Flat design looks like something made by young students who recently enrolled in their very first graphic design class.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
And plenty of us find 6.1 and 6.7 inch phones are also not a great experience.

Any phone which is too big to use one handed to me is not worth a dime.

My 13 Mini is plenty big enough.

Sure. In all seriousness, majority of people has chosen larger phones. It isn't like phone manufacturers didn't try small phones.

I remember old Moto G, I remembered old Samsung S3 mini. Apple tried to sell iPhone 12/13 mini etc. All of these phone weren't sold exactly well. Sure, three are billions of activated iOS devices out there, even 1% of iOS users wants small phone, it is still a big number. But that doesn't mean Apple or any other phone maker should or obligated to create one for them.

Heck, I found old dot matrix printer fasnating and I also liked the P.S. 2 keyboards. But that doesn't mean printer manufacturers will now need come up with dot matrix printer or keyboard manufacturers will now need to sell P.S. 2 keyboards.

Reactions: Andeddu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.