Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scrane

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2021
And plenty of us find 6.1 and 6.7 inch phones are also not a great experience.

Any phone which is too big to use one handed to me is not worth a dime.

My 13 Mini is plenty big enough.
During the short time I had the 15 Pro the main thing I felt was the balance was off. I can usually juggle the mini with my fingertips, but with the Pro I always felt its instability in my hand. I found I was always needing to use a second hand to get everything recentered. I'm old, but I correct declining vision with readers, so screen size was a minor issue. I could read the mini ae easily as the pro. Where the Pro killed me was the added hand manipulation exacerbated my problem with arthritis. it's amazing a few millimeters can make such a difference. Weight was not an issue.
Please, no Jitterbug jokes. :)

Reactions: oldmacs

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
iPhone SE1
iPhone 5S
iPhone 5
iPhone 4S
iPhone 4
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 3G
iPhone

I still remembered people were saying exactly the samething when iPhone 5 came out. 3.5inch as perfect size and iPhone 5 were to big.

Then iPhone 6 and 6 Plus came out, all the sudden iPhone SE was the best small phone, completely igroned 3.5inch iPhone.

Now 5.4inch mini is the perfect small phone. I think not long after, 6.1inch will be the dream samll phone

Reactions: JPack

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
I still remembered people were saying exactly the samething when iPhone 5 came out. 3.5inch as perfect size and iPhone 5 were to big.

Then iPhone 6 and 6 Plus came out, all the sudden iPhone SE was the best small phone, completely igroned 3.5inch iPhone.

Now 5.4inch mini is the perfect small phone. I think not long after, 6.1inch will be the dream samll phone
iPhone with 6.1” screen will never be a “dream” small phone.

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008

or people are just like "give me the most compact option" and that one option keeps getting bigger and bigger.

personally? give me a 4S sized body with an all screen front. while you're at it, give me that nice 4S industrial design instead of the chintzy jewelry asethetic we've got now. it'll never happen, but just saying, my tastes aren't as fickle as you claim :p

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
or people are just like "give me the most compact option" and that one option keeps getting bigger and bigger.

personally? give me a 4S sized body with an all screen front. while you're at it, give me that nice 4S industrial design instead of the chintzy jewelry asethetic we've got now. it'll never happen, but just saying, my tastes aren't as fickle as you claim :p

Haha... That could be it. The ultimate small phone. I do remember the excitement when I switch from BlackBerry to iPhone 4S back then. Jesus, that was long time ago.

I still remember put the iPhone 4S in those heavy duty phone case and carried for like 4 years (since my contracts was 3 years before and breaking contract is costly). Then switch to iPhone 6 at launch day.

But you got admit that things people do on their phone was way different from 12 years ago. 4S was still 3G era, Facebook etc or social media in general was still at its infancy (at least on mobile). So people's need changed.

Now day, people are watching 4K videos, playing mobile games, streaming videos or watching streamed content via social media etc. It makes perfect sense that people wants bigger phone. To be honest, even if I sounds like large phone fan, I occasionally carry iPhone 12 Pro Max. I only do when I travel that need large battery. My primary devices is 6.1 iPhone and old Pixel 4 for work purpose.

I know some folks just want small phones, that is understandable. Each people has its own needs. We can only hope there is a small phone comes out from someone, but it probably will not be Apple

Reactions: decafjava

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Pulled one of my backup SE1's out of storage this morning and I'm syncing it up with Music

Going to try popping an extra data sim in this and using it as my gym phone

Starting to warm up here in Boise and even the 13 Mini is a bit too large/heavy for enjoyment when in shorts pockets.

Weight really becomes the issue

(to answer this in advance -- "yes" - I have a fleet of SE1s and still use one daily by my bedside each night for podcasts/audiobooks)

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
While the "comparison page" still has it, here's a SE3, 13 Mini and SE1 comparison table

As one can see, us truly small phone lovers ... are in pain

Weight and Width are the two things that most bug me about the 13 Mini vs SE1
(height too, but Weight & Width are what I notice constantly)

Screen Shot 2024-03-20 at 11.02.51.png

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
Haha... That could be it. The ultimate small phone. I do remember the excitement when I switch from BlackBerry to iPhone 4S back then. Jesus, that was long time ago.

I still remember put the iPhone 4S in those heavy duty phone case and carried for like 4 years (since my contracts was 3 years before and breaking contract is costly). Then switch to iPhone 6 at launch day.

But you got admit that things people do on their phone was way different from 12 years ago. 4S was still 3G era, Facebook etc or social media in general was still at its infancy (at least on mobile). So people's need changed.

Now day, people are watching 4K videos, playing mobile games, streaming videos or watching streamed content via social media etc. It makes perfect sense that people wants bigger phone. To be honest, even if I sounds like large phone fan, I occasionally carry iPhone 12 Pro Max. I only do when I travel that need large battery. My primary devices is 6.1 iPhone and old Pixel 4 for work purpose.

I know some folks just want small phones, that is understandable. Each people has its own needs. We can only hope there is a small phone comes out from someone, but it probably will not be Apple
like you mentioned yourself, and individual determines their own needs, and i don't want to be told that i want some big screen 4k streaming experience on my smartphone. i was streaming video and scrolling social media in 2012 and i was perfectly content with that. these larger screens do exactly nothing for me but feel cumbersome. personally, i'd rather be wasting as little time staring at these devices as possible.

now by all means, make large devices for those who want them. but i vehemently disagree that we should all want them.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
now by all means, make large devices for those who want them. but i vehemently disagree that we should all want them.

Agreed - plus these are supposed to be "tools" and different tools are better for different jobs/needs

I can't help but wonder if we'd have more iPhone options if Apple weren't "all in on Services", as maybe they'd be less concerned with every device being a larger screened vessel into ATV+, Apple Music, Apple Arcade, etc..

That's one of the reasons we really have nothing but phablets

All the "health and wellness" talk (like the Eco talk, frankly) falls on deaf ears when Apple doesn't really want to make an iPhone that would truly help you "be efficient, mindful, focused on the real world and use it as little as possible" and need not sell in the "MEGA QUANTITIES!"

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
iPhone 4S is the best 3.5" display [4:3] iPhone
iPhone SE 2016 is the best 4" display [16:9] iPhone [although I prefer the iPhone 5C form factor]
iPhone SE 2022 is the best 4.7" display [16:9] iPhone [until a new one is released]
iPhone 13 mini is the best 5.4" [19.5:9] display iPhone
iPhone 11 Pro is the best 5.8" [19.5:9] display iPhone

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
iPhone 4S is the best 3.5" display [4:3] iPhone
iPhone SE 2016 is the best 4" display [16:9] iPhone [although I prefer the iPhone 5C form factor]
iPhone SE 2022 is the best 4.7" display [16:9] iPhone [until a new one is released]
iPhone 13 mini is the best 5.4" [19.5:9] display iPhone
iPhone 11 Pro is the best 5.8" [19.5:9] display iPhone

If I truly had my small phone dreams realized, it would indeed be a 3.5" 4:3 display again

Something super thin and light, purposely running a slightly lower end ASi chip for max efficiency and weight reduction

It's so odd how tech at one point in time was all about making the coolest smallest thinnest lightest...dare we say "sexiest"... products that one could

And now... bleh

Reactions: klasma

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
iPhone with 6.1” screen will never be a “dream” small phone.
Geta, this year the 16 Pro is moving to 6.3”, and the ‘regular’ Iphone 17 will also follow suit in 2025. So when the Iphone SE4 is released in 2025 with a 6.1” screen (based on most rumours), it may inadvertently become one of the smallest phones on the market (along with regular iphone 16). It’s not great i know, but this is the roadmap for the next couple years. Only real hope is Apple release a foldable like the Galaxy Flip.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
The prices weren't the same as the larger iPhone versions. The 12 and 13 mini were $100 cheaper (for same storage size) than the regular 12 and 13.
The 12 mini price was the same as the previous-year larger iPhone (11). The regular 12 was bumped by $100. As a result, the iPhone mini was perceived being as expensive as large-sized iPhones had been before. For most people, this was hidden in the phone plan pricing, however plans for the mini also weren’t advertised much.

Last edited:
Reactions: lpc2 and Tru3B1u3

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
If I truly had my small phone dreams realized, it would indeed be a 3.5" 4:3 display again

Something super thin and light, purposely running a slightly lower end ASi chip for max efficiency and weight reduction

It's so odd how tech at one point in time was all about making the coolest smallest thinnest lightest...dare we say "sexiest"... products that one could

And now... bleh

You do realize when smartphone market grow to maturity and people are changing their phone less often than before, smartphone manufacturers will need to differentiate themselves right?

Google Nexus was the first phone started HDR, then computational photography is the thing. Then manufacturers are cramping more and more cameras on the phone. People are carrying their phones more than ever, so naturally battery are growing larger and larger.

Now AI is the thing. So naturally phone manufacturers will put even more powerful chip and larger battery to accommodate ever increasing power requirements.

Apple is also not immune to this. Just try to think if Apple stuck to its gun and only releasing 3.5inch iPhones. There will be no more iPhone.

We should come to realization that small phone, especially 3.5 inch or 4 inch phones is thing in the past.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Only real hope is Apple release a foldable like the Galaxy Flip.

I've started playing with and learning more about the Android flip options

Once my 13 Mini loses OS support that precludes any necessary Apps, I'll be out
I think I have a couple years on that though

Maybe sometime between now and then Tim will pull his head out of his...

...Apple Vision Pro

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Why does everyone sound like they are eulogising over the death of small (not flagship) phones? If you want something small from Apple, there is the iPhone SE.
Not for much longer, and that aside the current SE is already over the edge of being a tad bit too large for me. The SE1 (iPhone 5) was ideal, the mini is merely acceptable, the SE 2/3 (iPhone 6 — had one for a year and a half) is too large for one-handed use.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I used the 2016 SE1 (smaller and lighter than the mini), which was still perfectly usable when the mini was released and was still fully supported until iOS 16 came out.

Surprisingly still quite snappy on last version of iOS 15 (using it right now)
I suspect, if Apple wanted it to, it could continue to work just fine if iOS wasn't turning into such a bloated pig (same with macOS)

Reactions: GerritV and geta

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017

Everyone has a different threshold, but one reason I liked the SE1 the best was also because it was the lightest iPhone of all. The mini feels already heavy in comparison.

Reactions: GerritV

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008

You can't just keep extrapolating out like that
There are limits (we are already over them for many of us)

Human hands and pockets, among other considerations, are what they are

A 6.1" device will never be the dream "small" phone

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Surprisingly still quite snappy on last version of iOS 15 (using it right now)
I suspect, if Apple wanted it to, it could continue to work just fine if iOS wasn't turning into such a bloated pig (same with macOS)
The issue is that apps and mobile web sites aren’t being designed for smaller screens anymore. It’s already increasingly troublesome on the mini (and, incidentally, on the 11 Pro, which shares the mini’s logical resolution).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.