Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gurutech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
Yes.. I'm considering buying used 12" PB.
I don't know what to do with my MBP though.. I probably will keep it.

Is the idea of getting used 12" PB at this point totally out of mind?
I initially considered getting MB, but after hearing about heat and random shutdonw, I decided not to.
Any suggestion?
Basically what I need is a laptop with Mac OS that's really portable and produces less heat.

I really like idea of having a laptop as desktop replacement.. so that's why I'm going to keep my MBP for my programming needs and parallels' windows environment.
So Intel and PPC is non issue for me so long as speed of PPC is decent enough.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Gurutech said:
Yes.. I'm considering buying used 12" PB.
I don't know what to do with my MBP though.. I probably will keep it.

Is the idea of getting used 12" PB at this point totally out of mind?
I initially considered getting MB, but after hearing about heat and random shutdonw, I decided not to.
Any suggestion?
Basically what I need is a laptop with Mac OS that's really portable and produces less heat.

I really like idea of having a laptop as desktop replacement.. so that's why I'm going to keep my MBP for my programming needs and parallels' windows environment.
So Intel and PPC is non issue for me so long as speed of PPC is decent enough.

Tell me everything you heard about the random shutdown of the Macbook. I have that exact problem and couldn'd find anyone else who has it.

Gurutech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
MrCrowbar said:
Tell me everything you heard about the random shutdown of the Macbook. I have that exact problem and couldn'd find anyone else who has it.

There are several threads going on in Macintosh computer forum.
You probably can see it when you enter the forum.

adamyoshida

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
The heat is annoying as hell, across all of the current line of Apple notebooks. I have a Core Duo PC laptop, and it's nothing like the MacBook I bought (and then returned). A laptop just isn't any good to me (and a lot of other people), if you can't comfortably use it in bed, or the like.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
My PPC Macs are running cool so far. I hope there is some fix-up when Apple drops Merom in MBP for the next update. If you don't need x86 Mac, then, PPC Mac would be a good choice. I don't think there is no rush going to x86 when the current apps you are running do not benefit too much from that move.

Gurutech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
adamyoshida said:
The heat is annoying as hell, across all of the current line of Apple notebooks. I have a Core Duo PC laptop, and it's nothing like the MacBook I bought (and then returned). A laptop just isn't any good to me (and a lot of other people), if you can't comfortably use it in bed, or the like.

Agreed. My MBP is perfect except this heat problem. I tried my friend's Lenovo Thinkpad T60 w/ 2.0 Core Duo and x1400 GPU for about an hour, and it's really cool and perfect. If my MBP is like that, I would be so satisfied. It's getting annoying. I thought the weight of MBP 15" is tolerable for carrying around, yet due to heat, I can't hardly take it to anyware. So long as I open just a few internet browser windows, and do light stuff, it's just warm. However, as soon as I begin to use good portion of processing power, it gets soooo dannnnnnnnng hot..

Anyhow, I'm looking for any nice deal on Powerbook.
I just found that there's 12" PB for 1199 in Apple's refurbished store.
Is it good deal? or is it better to buy used one for cheaper?

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
i can vouch for the 12in powerbook being cool for most tasks, its a truly wonderful machine for more basic tasks, but dont be fooled, its pretty fast for more intensive tasks too. my girlfriends MBP gets really hot just surfing and using word, which is fine if its on a desk, but woe betide anyone who attempts to use it on their lap.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Gurutech said:
FWIW, zero random shutdown problems with my 1.83GHz MacBook, and since Apple released the SMC firmware update a week or two ago, my MacBook makes about the same amount of heat as my 15" 1.67GHz PB did. It's been the best $999 I've ever spent on a notebook!

Personally, after having seen how fast the Intel Macs run (encoding DVDs, Parallels vs Virtual PC, etc), there's no way I could switch back to PPC Mac.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
I had a 1.5ghz 12"pb before I traded it in for my macbook. It's not as hot as the macbook (although the firmware updates has brought my mb from almost 60 to less than 50 degrees while idling and it never goes above 65 anymore)

my only beef with the powerbook was it was too slow for me, the screen is nowhere NEAR as nice as the macbook (pro or not) and the powerbook tended to get hot under the left palm rest, so when i would type notes in class my wrist would get really sweaty and itchy and then i would have a nice big sweat smudge on the laptop :( Also I found when it's fans kicked in it got fairly loud (i was in a lecture hall so noise is a big no no).

But i do miss it... the size was perfect..*sigh*

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
France
Yea the computer is extremely hot and the battery life sux, today talking with a friend with a cheap dell, that was very nice, and he had 6 hours of battery life and no heat at all! (Dell with Core duo 2.0)
I cant get more than 2.5 hours of battery doing light surf and chatting.
Really disapointed! its my first intel mac (I had a 17" PB), and I cant get the whine fixed down in chile they say its normal (my computer makes a horrible whine)

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Most people need to remember, Apple doesn't call their portables "laptops" any more, they call them "notebooks." They aren't meant to be used on your lap any more, they are meant to be portable. It would be nice if they were cool enough to run on your lap, but your lap is also a great insulator- and using it on your lap only contributes to the buildup of heat within the unit.

Gurutech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
miles01110 said:
Most people need to remember, Apple doesn't call their portables "laptops" any more, they call them "notebooks." They aren't meant to be used on your lap any more, they are meant to be portable. It would be nice if they were cool enough to run on your lap, but your lap is also a great insulator- and using it on your lap only contributes to the buildup of heat within the unit.

Well.. that's the weirdest thing I heard about "laptops" from this forum...

:D ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cool:

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
student_trap said:
i can vouch for the 12in powerbook being cool for most tasks, its a truly wonderful machine for more basic tasks, but dont be fooled, its pretty fast for more intensive tasks too. my girlfriends MBP gets really hot just surfing and using word, which is fine if its on a desk, but woe betide anyone who attempts to use it on their lap.

WAIT A SEC!!!! :eek:

the MBP gets hotter than a 12" PowerBook?! I have a 12" PowerBook, it gets annoyingly hot in my opinion, I'm about to get a MBP after the merom update, are you saying it will be even hotter than my PowerBook? :confused:

huggeee

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2006
Jericho2550 said:
WAIT A SEC!!!! :eek:

the MBP gets hotter than a 12" PowerBook?! I have a 12" PowerBook, it gets annoyingly hot in my opinion, I'm about to get a MBP after the merom update, are you saying it will be even hotter than my PowerBook? :confused:

I've also had my 12" PowerBook for about 18 months now, and it's very annoyingly hot and the moment you start doing anything graphically intensive it's outrageously LOUD.

I want to replace it but after reading all these threads I'm honestly thinking about a Lenovo laptop. The suggestion that laptops are no longer laptops but "notebooks" holds no water with me at all. I buy a laptop specifically to use while travelling and in my lap. If a computer can't perform this basic function then it's no good to me, despite how powerful or good looking it might be...

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
My 12" PB is cool...doesnt really go above 55 degrees Celsius. :D

I am planning on buying a Merom MBP....hope they stay cool.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I know exactly how you feel. Its the reason i bought a refurb PowerBook my then MBP was tooo darn hot i gave it away for credit. The only Apple portable that is mildly bearable for me is the MB.

I know of lots of people downgrading to PowerBooks from MB/MBP because these things can be scorchers. Om Malik is one of them.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
miles01110 said:

Exactly.

The 12" PowerBook is still a very capable notebook and if you can find a second-hand one or refurb one it'll keep you happy for a while, plus as it's older tried & tested hardware there are far fewer issues.

Otherwise just invest in an iLap or similar cooler pad type of thing for the MacBook.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
I save on my heating bills when using my 12" PB for anything intensive.

On a cold winter night I just fire up Photoshop to keep toasty.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
If your machine feels too hot,
take it in to the Genius Bar and have them check it over.

I think your best solution is to wait for the Santa Rosa/Leopard models this spring.

Then hopefully you'll have a machine that runs longer and cooler than anything made today.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
dcv said:
Exactly.

The 12" PowerBook is still a very capable notebook and if you can find a second-hand one or refurb one it'll keep you happy for a while, plus as it's older tried & tested hardware there are far fewer issues.

Otherwise just invest in an iLap or similar cooler pad type of thing for the MacBook.

Asbestos Thighs!

(what a great name for a band!)

Seriously though, I've always liked those 12" PB's despite never owning one. So very, very portable. As dcv's said it's still plenty capable, especially for web, mail, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.